WTH? Gained weight. Trying not to be deflated!

PuceMama

So it’s day 30 (actually 31 since I did it on my day 0). I did well, felt great, didn’t snack except when actually hungry and ate nuts and fruit). Exercised modestly like 3-4 times per week (barre and yoga). Clothes fit better. People even saying I look great. Best part is no more sugar cravings! And sleeping well!  So I’m trying really hard not to be too bummed by gaining 3 pounds when I was hoping to lose 5. Help! But those numbers bother me—I can’t help it. Suggestions?

W30 is not a weight loss program.  You have, however, experienced everything that W30 is designed for - sounds like a win to me!

Read up on 'natural weight'.  When eating correctly, the body will find the weight it wants to be.

Congrats on your earned achievements!!

13 hours ago, PuceMama said:

So it’s day 30 (actually 31 since I did it on my day 0). I did well, felt great, didn’t snack except when actually hungry and ate nuts and fruit). Exercised modestly like 3-4 times per week (barre and yoga). Clothes fit better. People even saying I look great. Best part is no more sugar cravings! And sleeping well!  So I’m trying really hard not to be too bummed by gaining 3 pounds when I was hoping to lose 5. Help! But those numbers bother me—I can’t help it. Suggestions?

Why did you want the number on the scale to go down? Was it because losing weight would make your clothes fit better, and people would notice and say you look great? Those things happened anyway, so why worry about the number on the scale? If you hadn't weighed yourself at all would you be happy with the results? This is why the w30 does not focus on weight loss and one of the rules is to stay off the scale. It can be so defeating not to see the number go down, even if all the results you're experiencing are positive!

Also, muscle is more dense per lb than fat.  You could have lost 5 lbs of fat (awesome!) and gained 8 lbs of muscle (even more awesome!).  It sounds like your body composition changed towards the positive side.  Also, personally for me, my scale weight can swings by pounds in a single day, and for many women there can be similarly big swings depending on the time of month.  

Here's a pic (from Jason Seib's book the Paleo Coach), of a woman at the exact same weight:

155-lbs-before-and-after

Archived