I don't understand why dairy WITHOUT lactose is not allowed

jmike22

Hi all,

I am doing the Whole30 mostly for gut health and to give up my light sugar addiction. I workout quite regularly and have always had a hard time seeing the results I've been striving for. I have modified my diet over the years and am doing this to see if it helps with IBS, lactose intolerance, and perhaps I've been seeing a deficiency in absorbing some nutrients from food - so thought this cleanse would help. Fingers crossed...

A friend of mine highly recommends that I add in whole milk kefir (no sugar added) and Nancy's yogurt into the program as a way to replenish the good bacteria in the gut (a la SCD). I told him about Whole30 and we both were not understanding why dairy WITHOUT lactose (whole milk kefir and yogurt) would not be allowed? I know it's allowed on the vegetarian program, but not on this program. Does anyone have a further explanation?

Thank you all!

• Moderators

You might find this helpful:   http://whole9life.com/2013/03/the-dairy-manifesto/

For probiotics, you can do fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, and other fermented vegetables (just always double check your ingredients, you still can't have versions with soy or sugar or other off-plan ingredients), or beverages like kombucha or water kefir. 

Archived