Support Before Round 2

RandiW

I did my first W30 in Jan 2017 and it changed my life. I found what worked and what didn't work for me, I mostly did slow roll reintros. I got sick a few times and got completely knocked off the wagon eating bread (my problem food), etc. But always found my way back to mostly eating W30.  My fiance and I were on a big vacation in October for two weeks to a place with a mjor language barrier. I didn't even attempt to moderate my eating and it included many foods, every day, that I don't usually eat. And when I got home, there was a sort of, "well, I'm fully off the wagon, let's eat pizza!" attitude. That lasted a few days and then I felt awful. I decided to do a R2, but only stuck it out for 7 days before caving to sugar cravings. Since then I've been back and forth. I cleaned up my diet a lot (dropped the dairy,grains,legumes) but the sugar cravings are really getting to me. Each night I eat a little something that I know is going to make my PMS worse, make me constipated, make me bloat, make my sleep restless... I wrote myself a list of reasons why I don't eat sugar, but it's like my sugar dragon is 10x the size it was before I ever did W30. 

My birthday is next week and then the holidays, so I'm holding off trying for another R2 until January again, but I'm scared. I had very strong resolve doing my first round and while there were times I wavered, I never quit. My fear is quitting again and again with a R2 and not being able to fully shake sugar again. Help?

There may be other variables like work / life stresses, etc, that are hampering your efforts to tame the food cravings.  Variables that may require professional assistance from outside of the W30 community.

"My birthday is next week and then the holidays, so I'm holding off trying for another R2 until January again, but I'm scared. I had very strong resolve doing my first round and while there were times I wavered, I never quit. My fear is quitting again and again with a R2 and not being able to fully shake sugar again. Help?"

This comment sounds to me like running away from / reinforcing the sugar dragon rather than facing it head on.  Does waiting til after the birthday / holidays give you permission to indulge in non-compliant treats because they are unavoidable?!  What will be the next excuse in 2018?

How about handling the upcoming special days with a clean-eating resolve before making a 30 day commitment in January?  A birthday and a holiday can still be a joy filled day of celebration without indulging in self sabotage!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, T2Andrew said:

This comment sounds to me like running away from / reinforcing the sugar dragon rather than facing it head on.  Does waiting til after the birthday / holidays give you permission to indulge in non-compliant treats because they are unavoidable?!  What will be the next excuse in 2018?

This is not really fair... it is recommended to find 30 days where you do NOT have a holiday, birthday, once in a life time holiday etc... where you might be set up for failure. It's not an excuse as far as what I read, it was her planning to start when she has the most likely ability to be successful.

Yeah, I see how it can read harsh...my apologies.  It was not my intent to offend anyone, that was the thought that formed in my mind while reading the entire post.

I agree that the best strategy to successfully pursue this program is to plan it to avoid said distractions.

I can relate to having a dragon.  For a long time, as I spent a lot of time on the road, I frequented the drive thrus a lot.  It was just mindless eating / one more won't hurt kind of thing - damn those dollar menus!  The food if / when done right didn't even taste good anymore.  It got to the point where I was hoping the next, and the next, and the next one were really bad food experiences to use as a negative reference to help me quit.  Instead, it was several bad customer service experiences at those places that made me stop giving them my money!  

That story doesn't help your sugar dragon woes, but I can relate to the situation.

Archived