A Little Help Simplifying?

I am on day 1 and so far have consumed nothing but water.  I need to eat breakfast (ideally really soon), but I need to get groceries first and cook something.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to buy at the grocery store for the first week of meals (which looks like it's intended to start on a Sunday, not on a Friday).

My biggest challenge is that I despise grocery shopping, cooking, and making mundane decisions about stuff like what to eat.  I'm already in good shape from doing CrossFit 5 days per week and have good self-discipline.  I just don't want 400 pages to sort through to figure out what to buy at the store and how/when to cook it when I bring it home.

It seems like there's tons of "moral support" content and all sorts of justifications of why eating healthy is good, all the benefits --> I really don't need any of that right now.

If I'm going to Market Basket this morning to get groceries, where do I find the specific list of items I'm supposed to buy and the instructions for when/how to cook it?

2 hours ago, Perry Chaffee said:

I am on day 1 and so far have consumed nothing but water.  I need to eat breakfast (ideally really soon), but I need to get groceries first and cook something.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to buy at the grocery store for the first week of meals (which looks like it's intended to start on a Sunday, not on a Friday).

My biggest challenge is that I despise grocery shopping, cooking, and making mundane decisions about stuff like what to eat.  I'm already in good shape from doing CrossFit 5 days per week and have good self-discipline.  I just don't want 400 pages to sort through to figure out what to buy at the store and how/when to cook it when I bring it home.

It seems like there's tons of "moral support" content and all sorts of justifications of why eating healthy is good, all the benefits --> I really don't need any of that right now.

If I'm going to Market Basket this morning to get groceries, where do I find the specific list of items I'm supposed to buy and the instructions for when/how to cook it?

Have you looked at the Whole30 website for the rules and list of what you can and cannot eat? It's all listed for free on the site...there's no one shopping list for w30 because everyone likes to eat different things. 

Buy some protein, veggies, fruits and healthy fats and then cook them however/whenever you want. Try to stay away from packaged items in the beginning because you'll have to read every label to make sure they don't have non-compliant ingredients and if you hate grocery shopping this is definitely going to be irritating. Just buy foods that are on the approved list.

Perry-

First, welcome to the club!  Whatever your motivations are for being here, I think you will find the spirit of W30 dovetails with that of Cossfit!  Awareness, mastery, and creativity are espoused by both!

To best reap the benefits of W30, I strongly suggest reading It Starts With Food.  The book will give you a good understanding of the how and why of the plan.  For a quick start, go to the link that Shannon listed above.  All of these lists are free and can be downloaded for easy reference.  I highlighted mine green for compliant choices and red for non-compliant choices.  Not everything needs to be accquired at once nor will one try everything over the thirty days.  Remember, the '30' in W30 is just the start of a path to help you design your own food plan for continuing on.

Like with Crossfit, with W30 you wil realize discipline, creativity and variety in fueling your body for peak performance.  Instead of viewing the making of food decisions as "mundane", consider it as part of the process that you apply to your workouts.  In other words, integrate the two disciplines as symbiotic.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Hi Perry,

part of the whole30 is getting you back to the basics of shopping and preparing your own food. Ditto for choosing your meals. Of course you are welcome to follow a meal plan, there's one for the first week in the Whole30 book, but we really want you to be involved in making your own decisions. otherwise when the 30 days are done or when you just don't want to eat chicken for lunch on Wednesday, you'll be apt to order pizza.

Options:

• Google "whole30 recipes" for many ideas, or visit wellfed.com or nomnompaleo.com (links go to a page of all their whole30 recipes)
  • Get the Whole30 book - lots of info, cooking basics, plus the week one meal plan and many, many recipes (or Well Fed)
  • Make "ingredients" into meals if you don't feel much like cooking, here's a great list of ideas from Well Fed/Melissa Joulwan

You can also just go buy a bare minimum of groceries:

• onions
  • ground beef
  • chicken breasts
  • frozen shrimp
  • eggs
  • baby carrots
  • baby spinach
  • sweet potatoes
  • frozen veggies (no corn, peas, limas)
  • olive oil, coconut oil, ghee (one or more)
  • salt & pepper, other spices like paprika, cumin (read the labels for ingredients)

You can get by by sauteeing or even microwaving the above ingredients together in different combinations (ok, you'll need to cut up the baby carrots). It doesn't have to be gourmet.

You can do this!

57 minutes ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

orHi Perry,

part of the whole30 is getting you back to the basics of shopping and preparing your own food. Ditto for choosing your meals. Of course you are welcome to follow a meal plan, there's one for the first week in the Whole30 book, but we really want you to be involved in making your own decisions. otherwise when the 30 days are done or when you just don't want to eat chicken for lunch on Wednesday, you'll be apt to order pizza.

Options:

• Google "whole30 recipes" for many ideas, or visit wellfed.com or nomnompaleo.com (links go to a page of all their whole30 recipes)
  • Get the Whole30 book - lots of info, cooking basics info, plus the week one meal plan and many, many recipes (or Well Fed)
  • Make "ingredients" into meals if you don't feel much like cooking, here's a great list of ideas from Well Fed/Melissa Joulwan

You can also just go buy a bare minimum of groceries:

• onions
  • ground beef
  • chicken breasts
  • frozen shrimp
  • eggs
  • baby carrots
  • baby spinach
  • sweet potatoes
  • frozen veggies (no corn, peas, limas)
  • olive oil, coconut oil, ghee (one or more)
  • salt & pepper, other spices like paprika, cumin (read the labels for ingredients)

You can get by by sauteeing or even microwaving the above ingredients together in different combinations (ok, you'll need to cut up the baby carrots). It doesn't have to be gourmet.

You can do this!

Thank you for the tips and links!

I just started to panic because I'm obsessed with maintaining a routine, and starting Whole30 means throwing my old one out the window and trying to figure out something new.  What I was doing before was probably above average for the US population, but almost none of it will work within this context.

I'm fairly busy running 2 businesses so I don't have lots of time for cooking/studying nutrition -I care less about gourmet and much more about maintaining muscle mass while reducing joint/muscle inflammation and improving overall health.  I'm not really worried that when the 30 days ends I'll fall off the wagon.  I'm more focused on making it a sustainable routine and just need to simplify to the max at the beginning to avoid analysis paralysis and make it there.

1 hour ago, Perry Chaffee said:

Thank you for the tips and links!

I just started to panic because I'm obsessed with maintaining a routine, and starting Whole30 means throwing my old one out the window and trying to figure out something new.  What I was doing before was probably above average for the US population, but almost none of it will work within this context.

I'm fairly busy running 2 businesses so I don't have lots of time for cooking/studying nutrition -I care less about gourmet and much more about maintaining muscle mass while reducing joint/muscle inflammation and improving overall health.  I'm not really worried that when the 30 days ends I'll fall off the wagon.  I'm more focused on making it a sustainable routine and just need to simplify to the max at the beginning to avoid analysis paralysis and make it there.

Check out Mel Joulwan's meal prep philosophy - http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/ and https://sustainabledish.com/whole30-paleo-meal-planning-101-melissa-joulwan/.

I think that would be a great tool for you. It's sort of how I base my own meal prep too - cook up big batches of things (sheets of roasted veggies, chicken, pork in the crockpot etc) and then throughout the week just mix and match things together according to the template. I usually do this over some greens with a salad dressing. Easy, simple and delicious. I take about 3-4 hours on Sunday (or whichever day works best with my schedule) and do my cooking. Then there is minimal other cooking during the week so while cooking for 4 hours seems like a lot, it's really not overall. Plus a lot of the cooking is passive - you can do other things while your sheets roast in the oven!

5 hours ago, kirkor said:

@Perry Chaffee what did you end up getting at the store? 

-2 Chicken breasts
-3 Organic Broccoli
-1 Package Cubed Sweet Potato
-1 Bag of Baby Carrots
-1 Package of Mushrooms
-1 Package of Cherry Tomatoes
-1 Bag of Spinach
-1 Dozen Organic Eggs
-1 Bag Organic Walnuts
-1 Bag Organic Cranberries (dried)
-4 Avocados
-6 Bananas
-8 Apples
-1 Package of Strawberries
-1 Package of Raspberries

For breakfast I've been making a 3 egg spinach omelet with a side of 1 banana

For lunch I've been having a spinach salad with walnuts, cranberries, tomatoes, olive oil (measurements unknown -just throwing stuff on a plate until it's filled up) plus 1 avocado and 1 apple

For dinner I baked all of the chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes, some carrots & mushrooms, olive oil followed by a side of 4 strawberries and 8 raspberries

Tomorrow I need to add in something for pre and post workout before breakfast so that I'm eating 5 times during the day.  The 5:00am pre-workout will be an avocado.  7:00 post-workout will be chicken and sweet potato.  The rest I haven't figured out yet, but will probably be the same as above.

I know I should have more variety than this, but I really don't have much time to spend on food.  I really don't know how to cook, and the recopies in the 7 day plan all take more time than I have available each day.  It might say 25 minutes for frittata, but I'm guessing 60+ for me when factoring grocery shopping & dishes.  An omelet takes less than 10, my salad takes less than 5, and dinner took about 40 minutes total (but was enough for 3 dinners).

Only thing I'll say is make sure you're getting enough fat. Avocado for lunch is great, you need something with bfast and dinner too. If avocado is easiest for you, maybe do a whole in the am, and half at lunch and dinner. 

Right now I'm eating basically the same thing each day because variety is complicated and I don't have time to figure it out.

Current:
0515 - Pre-workout:  1 full avocado
0530-0630 - Crossfit Workout
0645 - Post-workout: re-heated chicken & sweet potatoes
0900 - Breakfast:  3 egg spinach omelet with 1 banana
1230 - Lunch:  Homemade spinach salad with walnuts, cranberries, cherry tomatoes, olives, and olive oil with one apple
1500 - Snack:  Handful of pistachios
1800 - Dinner:  Chicken, sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, olives followed by dish of fruit (blueberries, raspberries, grapes)
Anything that's cooked is cooked with olive oil.
No vitamins, supplements or shakes

Previous:
0510 - Multi-vitamins
0515 - Pre-workout:  25g protein shake (whey with milk)
0645 - Post-workout: 25g protein shake (whey with water)
0900 - Breakfast:  1 egg sandwich with English muffin, ham, cheese, butter, one banana & orange juice
1230 - Lunch:  Pre-packaged spinach salad with walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese & balsamic vinaigrette with apple cider
1500 - Snack:  Nature Valley Protein Bar (chocolate peanut butter)
1800 - Dinner:  Tyson breaded chicken with pasta, sauce & Parmesan with white grape peach juice or red wine
2000 - Desert:  25g protein shake (casein with milk) & fish oil supplement

I'm interested to see the difference over time between the two.  The pre and post workout "meals" are definitely much harder now.  I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat and literally am trying not to gag when I swallow.  Shooting a shake was easy, forcing down chicken & sweet potatoes right after a hard workout is not.  I need to find something other than avocados (really not a big fan of the texture).  Changing breakfast and lunch and snack was easy, but changing the other stuff is harder.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Perry Chaffee said:

Right now I'm eating basically the same thing each day because variety is complicated and I don't have time to figure it out.

Current:
0515 - Pre-workout:  1 full avocado
0645 - Post-workout: re-heated chicken & sweet potatoes
0900 - Breakfast:  3 egg spinach omelet with 1 banana 1-3 cups of veggies? Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate. Add fat, the cooking fat does not count generally.
1230 - Lunch:  Homemade spinach salad with walnuts, cranberries, cherry tomatoes, olives, and olive oil with one apple Add Protein
1500 - Snack:  Handful of pistachios If you need to snack due to legitimate hunger (you could eat steamed fish and broccoli happily) then eat protein and fat in a mini meal - nuts are recommended to be limited and they can cause bloating and gut distress along with being hard to stop eating for most people)
1800 - Dinner:  Chicken, sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, olives followed by dish of fruit (blueberries, raspberries, grapes) Again, make sure fruit isn't pushing veggies off your plate and try and eat the fruit WITH the meal instead of as 'dessert' :)
Anything that's cooked is cooked with olive oil.
No vitamins, supplements or shakes

I'm interested to see the difference over time between the two.  The pre and post workout "meals" are definitely much harder now.  I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat and literally am trying not to gag when I swallow.  Shooting a shake was easy, forcing down chicken & sweet potatoes right after a hard workout is not.  I need to find something other than avocados (really not a big fan of the texture).  Changing breakfast and lunch and snack was easy, but changing the other stuff is harder.

I've added some notes to your  meals to help you get the template down. I would also suggest if possible, bumping your lunch to later so you're not going so long between lunch and dinner because with the current time, you have 3.5 hours between meal 1 and 2 and then almost 6 hours between meal 2 and 3.

If money is not a significant constraint for you, I recommend purchasing some sauces and dressings to help keep things interesting and to avoid having to make them. If you check out the @Whole30Approved Instagram feed, you can see all sorts of brands and products that are Whole30 compliant. Some of my favorites are: 

• Primal Kitchen dressings (Green Goddess and Ceasar are my favorites) 
  • Tessemae's BBQ sauce, ketchup, and buffalo sauce 
  • Yai's Thai sauces, salsas, and curries

Most are hard to find in stores so buying online is ideal, which means you can avoid a trip to the grocery store! 

Good luck to you!

Archived