I need some brands....

Megan Parker

I am a mom of 4 kids. Almost 10 month old twins and a 6 and 4 year old (which we homeschool). Our life is busy, busy! I have been reading on the forum and when people ask about certain brands for store bought stuff I see a lot of "it's so easy and quick to make xxxxxx". Which is great, I'm sure I'll make a bunch of things, but for the everyday I really need some store bought stuff (even if I have to order online).

Does anyone have some tips for things they've found at the store for toppings (Salsa, guacamole, dressings, etc?) Right now I use worschtersire a lot (which I know is not compliant) but it adds just enough flavor to my meat and veggies for dinner. Any replacement ideas?

I bought (which I think are OK, correct me if I'm wrong, please!):

wholly guacamole (all natural) - hass avocado, jalapeno puree (white vinegar, jalapeño pepper,s salt, dehydrated onion, salt, and granulated garlic)

Herdez Salsa (casera medium) - tomatos, onions, serrano peppers, iodized salt, cilantra

Mezzetta roasted bell pepper and chiptole sandwich spread - roasted red bell pepper piree, olive poil, water, sun ripened tomatoes, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, smoked paprika, chipotle pepper, sea salt, xanthan gum.

Both at Kroger. We just got a TJ's but its about 40 minutes away so it will be a once a week thing. We also have a Fresh Market, but same thing distance wise so we usually make a weekly trip to one or the other, but I'm new to Whole30 so I need to figure out what to buy :)

Also, what brand of almond butter is everyone using? I looked and didn't seem to find any that were compliant. I also looked at Sunbutter, but same thing....they all had Evaporated Cane Syrup which I thought was not compliant. I ordered the organic/unsweetened from Amazon because that was the only one that appeared compliant to me....is that correct?

• Moderators

It looks like what you bought at Kroger is good. Good for you!

Calling out brands often doesn't work because the same brand often has compliant and non-compliant versions. You really have to read the labels on whatever you are buying.

It looks like what you bought at Kroger is good. Good for you!

Calling out brands often doesn't work because the same brand often has compliant and non-compliant versions. You really have to read the labels on whatever you are buying.

Hey Tom just for my own clarification....iodized salt and xanthan gum are indeed compliant?

Newman's Own Mild Salsa looks like it is compliant.

Ingredients: Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste, Citric Acid), Green Chili Peppers, Green Bell Peppers, Onions*, Red Bell Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Cilantro, Garlic*, Black Pepper (*Dried)

Only the Mild Salsa is sugar free. The Medium and Hot both list sugar in the ingredients.

Wholly guacamole is a favorite if mine. I prefer to make my own, but since I have an obsession I usually buy some of the premade stuff too. They have a lot of varieties, and I only know the original and snack packs are okay. Trader Joes has some too which is good. I mix it with some evoo or avocado oil in a blender for a quick salad dressing. If you can find fresh salsa you should be okay, the jar stuff is iffy. Otherwise I flavor with coconut aminos, fish sauce (Red Boat), hot sauce (trader joes makes a jalapeño that is okay). Sunshine sauce (from Well Fed) is also a favorite. I find its quicker to blend sauces in a small mason jar with my blender attachment. There's less cleanup and you can store the jar right in the fridge.

Kroger sells a compliant almond butter in the healthy section. I can't remember the name, but it's just almond and salt. Does your Kroger carry the Simply Organic line? They have canned tomatoes, mustard, salsa and other condiments that are compliant. They also sell chicken, eggs and pork from that brand that are a better choice than the Kroger brand. In Texas, our Kroger sells Nolan Ryan beef that is grass fed. He also has a line of natural beef that I use in a pinch. I have four kids also. They are older and all in school so it's easier for me to cook. I always make at least three times a batch size to freeze. Crock pot meals are a big time saver.

Another idea is to make your own dressing. The ratio is 3 parts oil to one part acid. I usually just grab a measuring cup and pour my no sulfite added vinegar of choice (often balsamic in our house) into the cup once and then olive oil into the blender (or hand whisk like I do since I'm too lazy to get out the blender) with a little salt and pepper and blend away. Want it to be creamy? Use some egg to help the emulsification stay stable (ususally i use about 2.5 parts of oil instead). Be sure to taste and adjust if the dressing gets a little too oily or too vinegary.

Archived