How is training my stomach to overfill a good thing?

I'm on day 9 and increasingly frustrated.  I was starting to feel good, and then today I'm so bloated I look pregnant, and my stomach hurts a lot.  I've dealt with the zero energy, anger and emotional lability all week, but now I'm feeling even worse physically.  I'm doing the Whole30 plus eliminating nightshades (but eating eggs), because my main issues have to do with inflammation, and what good is an elimination diet without eliminating one of the most common sources of inflammation.  That said, I'm starting to question whether I shouldn't go rogue and add grains back in again.  

One of my big issues with trying to lose weight is that I don't eat enough (according to my trainer).  I'll typically eat 1100-1200 calories a day, with larger amounts when we go (went) out to eat 1-2 times a week.  I already didn't get enough carbs in my diet, but now that all grains are gone, I honestly don't know how to get the calories a day that I need to not go into metabolic hibernation.  

I've seen the recommendations to eat bigger meals, but I have two issues with that.  First, I eat until I'm satisfied.  I think to train my body to overstuff itself is a mentally unhealthy way of eating.  Second, I don't want my stomach stretching out so that when I'm done with Whole30 I still feel like I need to eat more at a time to be satiated.  

Third, I just don't know what else to add to my meals.  I eat 2 eggs in the morning with veggies mixed in (usually around 10am).  Since starting this program I've added half of a (processed, sodium-laden) chicken sausage just to up the calories and protein intake.  I have a hard time finishing that, I don't know how I could add more.  Lunch (1p) is a good-sized salad with chicken or pork, and pumpkin or sunflower seeds.  Dinner is usually meat or fish with most of the plate being veggies.  I've been trying to at least get half a sweet potato in with dinner to have some starch in there.  I do have an afternoon snack 2 hours before I work out, because dinner is usually late (7:30p).  Mostly it's an apple and almond butter, or a banana, or some nuts.  

I'm guessing my calories are anywhere from 1000-1200 right now, with fats and protein being the biggest shares.  I don't get hungry in between, or at night.  If I do eat a larger breakfast, I don't end up wanting lunch until 2-2:30, so I skip the snack.  But that just leads to FEWER calories a day, not more.  

Without adding grains back in, how do I possibly eat enough food?

• Moderators

We'd really recommend eating breakfast within an hour of waking up, so if you're not doing that, that's probably the first place to start.

Are you eating starchy vegetables? We generally recommend one fist-sized serving per day for most people, but people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to their period may need more than that.

The three meals a day are just a recommendation. We do believe that for most people it is the best way to go, but sometimes people physically cannot eat that much at one time, so they divide their meals up. It is still important to have protein, fat, and vegetables each time you eat.

As for feeling bloated, raw vegetables can have that effect on some people, as cam cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, or cabbage. You might try having cooked vegetables and limiting the cruciferous ones, especially if you've been eating a lot of them.

Archived