Day 6- 17 weeks & 5 days

Hi all! I’m on day 6 of my Whole30. This is my first pregnancy, so 1st whole30 pregnant! I feel great after eating pretty much crap during first trimester. My question is: is it recommended to snack? I’ve been getting hungry around 3pm so I’ll have a can of smoked oysters, an epic bar, or an apple with almond butter. HMHB handouts show sample days with a snack but i know it’s recommended to stay away from normally. I just want to make sure my hunger is really hunger and not my sugar dragon. Any advice or tips? I know it’s different growing a human and if I’m hungry, i should just eat. Not trying to over analyze just want to make sure I’m doing it right! Anyone continue a whole30 throughout the rest of pregnancy? I’d like to attempt. We found out we are having a little boy!!! 

• Moderators

Pregnant and breastfeeding moms often find they need an actual fourth meal, so a snack is definitely okay. Try to have a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three, and don't eat mindlessly. If you're really not sure if you're hungry, think about if you'd be willing to eat something bland and boring, like plain steamed fish and broccoli. If you'd eat something boring, you're probably hungry. If you wouldn't eat that but are really wanting chocolate or pretzels, you're probably not actually that hungry. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

If you are eating smoked oysters I think you are hungry!  Maybe not for an apple and nut butter :). Good for you for growing your baby with the best ingredients possible!  And little boys are so fun. I’ve got an almost 1 year old now :blink:

• 1 month later...

I am on my fifth (and last!) pregnancy but first whole30! I'm in my second trimester and have been absolutely loving how it feels.  Just curious if you have stuck with it and how it is going? I'm about 20 days in (18 weeks along) and hoping to continue eating whole30-ish (except for date nights ;)) once I've completed this round, throughout the pregnancy and while nursing  :)  I definitely need at least one snack to get me through the day along with three larger meals and typically go for the apple and almond butter myself.  I don't really care about the "rules" as much as I'm just going with what satisfies me, is compliant, and nourishes the baby.  If I feel like I need to eat more, I eat more. But notice the extra fats always hold me over longer.

Congrats on your little boy! We are raising little girls now, but my first three were boys and there is just NOTHING like the bond between a mother and her son. :wub: and kudos for you for making healthy choices on your first time around.  I WISH I had been doing this all along. Best of luck!!

Archived