Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

On 12/24/2017 at 9:46 PM, Trose84 said:

Hi all,

im starting my second whole30 January 1st.. so the planning begins. It’s been two years since my last whole30. Shortly after that I became pregnant with baby#5 (I usually get pregnant when I finally get all the previous baby weight off!) unfortunately all my healthy habits went out the window when morning sickness hit. Also, while pregnant we bought a house, remodeled it ourselves and moved one month postpartum. Needless to say, healthy eating took the backseat during all that. 

Now, baby is 7 months old and I’m still struggling with bad habits and i don’t feel like myself. Low metabolism and maybe some thyroid issues. So I need to do this for my health and losing weight will be a nice bonus :) 

I look forward to keeping up with others on here since I am doing this alone. Let’s keep each other encouraged!

Kindred mamas! #3 will be 7months 1/4/18, and we moved into an old American Foursquare home while I was pregnant. I'm starting on 1/1 as well, so I'll be sending you lots of positive thoughts.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be my 4th or 5th W30 attempt. As a recovering anorexic/bulimic, I typically have some trouble with the rules & research rabbit holes, and in the past, I've given myself too many allowances to "cheat" and blamed my fear of relapse. But in all honesty, it's just easier to blame fear for failure. I also tried WAY too hard to curate elaborate meals before, and that is just not reasonable to do with 3 kids and a husband (who is also starting the program with me).  

The truth is, my vice now is overindulging on salty carbs & alcohol, and I'm afraid to give them up! HOW ELSE WILL I FEEL HAPPY?? :lol: 

I'm excited to dig deep with this Whole30 to uncover some truths about my feelings and moods as they relate to what I put in my mouth. 

Hi everyone! My husband and I are beginning our second Whole30 on January 1. Our first Whole30 was in April and was a great kick-start to a major diet adjustment and we have been Paleo ever since. Unfortunately, the last two months we have indulged in too many Paleo treats and are looking forward to a reset! Here’s to a great month!

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, KaitlynHenson said:

My husband and I are first timers and starting on January 1st. Ive got everything pretty much together but I have a random question. I don't know if they are ok or not maybe y'all can help me out, for emergency snacks what Laura Bars are allowed ?

Anything that you want to know if it's commpliant or not, you can google 'whole30 + item' and get loads of results.  For Lara Bars, they are ONLY approved for emergencies (emergency being stuck on the tarmac in a blizzard and you're going to eat the arm of the kid next to you type of hunger'.  Lots of people have a hard time limiting these bars becasue they're basically as close to candy as you can get on Whole30, so 'emergencies' seem to pop up daily.

That said, any of the ones that do not have non compliant ingredients in them are okay... so the peanut butter one is not okay, the one with chocolate chips is not okay and anything that's pretending to be chocolate is not okay.

5 hours ago, okayest_mama said:

This will be my 4th or 5th W30 attempt. As a recovering anorexic/bulimic, I typically have some trouble with the rules & research rabbit holes, and in the past, I've given myself too many allowances to "cheat" and blamed my fear of relapse. But in all honesty, it's just easier to blame fear for failure. I also tried WAY too hard to curate elaborate meals before, and that is just not reasonable to do with 3 kids and a husband (who is also starting the program with me).  

The truth is, my vice now is overindulging on salty carbs & alcohol, and I'm afraid to give them up! HOW ELSE WILL I FEEL HAPPY?? :lol: 

I'm excited to dig deep with this Whole30 to uncover some truths about my feelings and moods as they relate to what I put in my mouth. 

You can do this!  With the newest cookbook, Whole30 Fast and Easy, it will make this time so much easier in the kitchen. Good luck!  I'm sure many people on this forum will encourage you if you start wavering.

I've recruited two co-workers....yay!!!!  So between a huz who's crazy supportive and co-workers.....I'm super ready.  I starting eating compliant yesterday to ease myself into it and am so glad I did.  I noticed yesterday I accepted a mint from a family member and it didn't even occur to me until I swallowed it all down.  Got to get my mind back into the program.  I think I'm going to read the Whole30 again. 

Hi!

I will be starting my very first Whole30 on January 1st.  I have been eating really badly for a long time.  I struggle with sensitive/itchy skin, fatigue, muscle aches, etc.  I am looking forward to eating well, and feeling better.  My biggest concern is the meal prep and how much time that will take.  I work full time and usually find that I am totally unmotivated to cook when I get home from work.  That will be my biggest hurdle.....any advice is greatly appreciated!

Janice

On 12/26/2017 at 4:46 PM, Lauralouwho812 said:

I’m starting January 1st as well. I’m nervous and have never done this before but need and want a change in my food lifestyle. 

If you're a reader, arm yourself with the following:

It Starts With Food

The Whole 30

At least one of her cookbooks

These helped me in my first Whole 30 (this will be my second).  You will be amazed at how you feel when you're done.  There will be tough times (don't get me wrong) along the way but just stick with it; we're all here too right along side you.

13 hours ago, Janice Hansen said:

Hi!

I will be starting my very first Whole30 on January 1st.  I have been eating really badly for a long time.  I struggle with sensitive/itchy skin, fatigue, muscle aches, etc.  I am looking forward to eating well, and feeling better.  My biggest concern is the meal prep and how much time that will take.  I work full time and usually find that I am totally unmotivated to cook when I get home from work.  That will be my biggest hurdle.....any advice is greatly appreciated!

Janice

It Starts With Food

The Whole 30

These helped me in my first Whole 30 (this will be my second).  You will be amazed at how you feel when you're done.  There will be tough times (don't get me wrong) along the way but just stick with it; we're all here too right along side you.

I too struggle with cooking after work because I love to eat out.  I try to chop and cook most of my meals (lunches too) on Sundays.  Freeze what you can for easy pull out lunches and dinners.  If you have an Insta Pot put it to work.  I use mine a few times a week.  I can have beef stew (stew meat, coconut milk (compliant), sweet potato, veg and spices) ready in 30 minutes (yes, that tough to chew stew meat is fall apart tender).  Get lots of glassware storage containers....you'll need it.

@KaitlynHenson I recommend Wild Zora bars as emergency snack food. They're meat and veggie bars and are much less likely to promote cravings and encourage abuse of eating them. Depending on your snacking tendency and/or your relationship with sugar, Lara Bars can be dangerous... I refuse to have them around because I can easily get out of control with that kind of stuff. However, I do occasionally get stuck in eight hours of meetings and need something to eat. Wild Zora bars worked out perfectly for me. 

I like the Curry Turkey variety the best. I believe all are compliant with the exception of the Parmesan Beef. 

You can find them online or at local REI stores (at least mine carries them). 

1 hour ago, Garts Girl said:

It Starts With Food

The Whole 30

I too struggle with cooking after work because I love to eat out.  I try to chop and cook most of my meals (lunches too) on Sundays.  Freeze what you can for easy pull out lunches and dinners.  If you have an Insta Pot put it to work.  I use mine a few times a week.  I can have beef stew (stew meat, coconut milk (compliant), sweet potato, veg and spices) ready in 30 minutes (yes, that tough to chew stew meat is fall apart tender).  Get lots of glassware storage containers....you'll need it.

Thanks so much for the advice.  I have been looking at the books and trying to decide if I need them or if I can go off of the info online.  I did buy "The Whole 30" and am reading it now.  

I also am looking into an Insta Pot.  I am really looking forward to cooking and eating real food....I just know myself, and how unmotivated I can be at the end of a day!

10 minutes ago, Janice Hansen said:

Thanks so much for the advice.  I have been looking at the books and trying to decide if I need them or if I can go off of the info online.  I did buy "The Whole 30" and am reading it now.  

I also am looking into an Insta Pot.  I am really looking forward to cooking and eating real food....I just know myself, and how unmotivated I can be at the end of a day!

I totally get it.  I am the same way.  With plenty of planning and prep you WILL BE SUCCESSFUL.  Practice positive self talk.  I had to do that my first go 'round which I also was not used to doing.  Just practice. ;-) 

@Janice Hansen If you're the type of person that likes to understand why rules are what they are, I definitely recommend It Starts with Food. It explains everything in a clear and logical way and I found it immensely helpful for me understanding why this program is set up the way it is. In turn, that helped me succeed in getting through it successfully my first round. Otherwise, it was just too easy to talk myself out of certain elements of the program. Which equals FAIL. But that's my personality type... I need to know why. 

As far as cookbooks, I honestly find the flavoring of some of the Whole30 cookbooks to be kind of bland. They are delicious recipes, just not super flavorful. If you like deep, rich flavors, and more variety, I'd recommend Mel Joulwan's cookbooks (the Well Fed series). 

Salutations! 

January 1 is my intended start date as I will be joining my sister for her second round of Whole 30 as she loved it so much. While I’ve never done Whole 30, exactly, I’ve done a whole foods lifestyle with NO refined sugar or grains, so I’ve definitely experienced many of the benefits. (Picture of me is from a couple of years ago when I was happily following that regimen.) 

As I’m allergic to eggs, and eat very small amounts of animal protein, I think my biggest challenge (outside of my sugar addiction) will be eliminating legumes, as these are a huge part of how I currently pack in protein. 

I also want to be cost effective and efficient for a very busy life with lots of travel...so good luck to me and to all of you who are starting your journey on the 1st! We can do it! 

E0D1DD44-E129-4677-8927-C23E5214EC4D.jpeg

Archived