Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

Another Noob here.  First time although I love healthy eating - which doesn't explain how I am so huuuuge!  Got the book - looking forward to working out how I do it as a fussy veggie - not overkeen on eggs although good if mixed into food and not tasting "eggy".  I oddly do like the yolks but not the whites!

I've also given up a load of prescription meds in the past few weeks so having a real detox!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I'll be starting on January 1st as well! About 3 years ago when I lived in Austin I was paleo and felt amazing! I made a move to the East Coast and all my paleo friendly things I had such easy access to in Austin became a lot harder to find and I slipped. Instead of doing my best, I just gave up the lifestyle change completely. Recently, I was diagnosed with Mucha Habermann which is a rare skin disease. Since it's a rare not a lot of research has gone into it. Currently there is no known cause nor cure. It is self-limiting and will eventually go away but could be months or years. I opted for light therapy over a lengthy regimen of antibiotics they can also prescribe to protect my gut health.  I'm hoping this whole 30 elimination might help me find some relief from my disease and just overall get my body back to it's optimal health! 

This 52 year old is starting her first Whole30 on January 1.  The last couple of years I have gotten so far off track after being what I would consider Whole30 compliant for a few years (without even knowing it).  I had gotten down to a really comfortable weight and felt great physically and mentally.  Have had several medical issues (degenerative spine, spinal fusion, hysterectomy, polymyalgia rheumatica requiring months of steroids)....you get the picture.  I’m at my highest weight ever.  I feel terrible in my own skin,  no energy, can’t sleep, no self-esteem, and tired of trying to find something in my closet every morning.  A friend at work suggested we do this together and I didn’t have to think twice!  We will both start Jan. 1 and keep each other accountable.  I am so ready for this!

21 hours ago, Janice Hansen said:

Hi!

I will be starting my very first Whole30 on January 1st.  I have been eating really badly for a long time.  I struggle with sensitive/itchy skin, fatigue, muscle aches, etc.  I am looking forward to eating well, and feeling better.  My biggest concern is the meal prep and how much time that will take.  I work full time and usually find that I am totally unmotivated to cook when I get home from work.  That will be my biggest hurdle.....any advice is greatly appreciated!

Janice

Hi Janice - newbie here too.  I can relate to the health issues and know that many of mine go away or at least get better when I’m not filling my face with garbage food.  One thing I would suggest is picking a day - maybe Sunday afternoon - and chopping all your veges for the week.  Get some Ziploc bags and put each kind of vege in a bag.  Then when you come home from work, you’ll be less inclined to skip it because the prep work is already done.  My husband helps - we do the prep together which is great.  Now I need to do some planning around the meat part of the meals.    Lunches are easy - make a big pot of soup while you’re chopping those veges and perhaps a big salad for the week, to which you can add some chopped grilled chicken, etc....you might spend a couple hours, but you’re setting yourself up for success and saving far more time than that during the week (especially when you’re tired at the end of the day).  Good luck!

I just posted in the other January 1 thread, and am thrilled to find this one as well!

I am embarking on my third whole30 and I can't wait. I need this so badly right now. The meal planning is my biggest hurdle as well, and the most important piece to this puzzle that I need to conquer.  A couple months ago I hurt my lower back (during crossfit, SO SAD) so badly I couldn't move for days; it was labor-level pain, and I've quit crossfit and been on a junk food binge ever since.  I am so over it.  I don't know what the future looks like for me in terms of crossfit, but right now it feels like I've been burned by a great love.  It stings.  I need to find a new activity but at the same time I don't feel like I have the emotional energy or motivation to find let alone commit to anything new.  I loved crossfit so much but I can't risk that level of injury again.   I have three young children (6, 3, and 1), and I'm nursing the youngest, and I need to be active and able at all times as I stay home with them and do not work outside the home.

The other two times I did a whole30 I really didn't stick to the spirit at all.  All ingredients were compliant, but I was lazy with the template and had lots of snacks (because I was nursing, but also more than I needed to) and rx bars when I wasn't hungry but was craving something sweet.   I want to see how I can feel when I really put my heart and soul into this program.

So great to be here with you. I have high hopes for us all.

Hey everyone. I’m starting my 4th reset on jan 1st and after a disastrous December (food wise) I think this is the most nervous I’ve been. So worried I will fail so happy to have to support of a nice group like this. 

@Janice Hansen the skinnytaste website has some good whole30 recipes. Lots of crockpot recipes so no cooking needed at the end of work. And definitely check out the whole30 recipes Instagram page. 

@okayest_mama I totally get how you feel. I think I’m more nervous than I was for my first reset. No idea why!!?? We can keep each other on track.

And to all the first timers- you will feel fab at the end so it is totally worth the effort! 

Starting my second W30 on January 1st. I did it the first time in September but at Day 24 I caved for the wine. I miss wine the most. 

I do not have a terrible relationship with food, but I have a bad habit of drinking at night due to a stressful, very high profile job. In addition to my career and business travel I have a husband who also has a high profile job and two kids who are both sporty and musical which means busy evenings as many of you know. I try to work out in the mornings but the W30 makes that hard because I’m so tired!

I am an “all or nothing kind of girl” and I want to learn to breathe, relax more, be kinder to myself and not give into my cravings. Is there anyone else who feels like me or has my kind of life?

Hi!!

Committing to Whole 30 for the first time this January 1st. Looking for an accountability friend.  I’ve been struggling a lot with sugar and binge eating in general for a while. I seem to have no control over it when it’s around me.  No one would ever know I have this problem because generally I eat pretty healthy and work out 4-5 times a week. 

I went through a surgery that put me out from working out back in May and since then I’ve spiralled into emotionally binge eating and although I’m back on my feet now at the gym, my eating habits have suffered greatly. 

I get hives, I have a chronic cough, and I have other female issues that I’m trying to sort out. Hoping this will help!!!

Hoping you can all help me :)

My boss, her sister and myself are all doing TW30 starting January 1st as well! My boss got me my Commit30 journal/day planner for 2018, and in the front were suggestions to “commit to”. I’ve never heard of TW30 until i saw “30 Days of Whole30” in the front of my new planner! I googled it and got so excited i shared with others! So excited to start! I’ve gained 35 lbs since May20, 2017 when i got married,  and I’m miserable! 

So so looking forward to a New Year started on the right foot and path!! ❤️

On 12/28/2017 at 3:47 PM, KathrynPenguin said:

Another Noob here.  First time although I love healthy eating - which doesn't explain how I am so huuuuge!  Got the book - looking forward to working out how I do it as a fussy veggie - not overkeen on eggs although good if mixed into food and not tasting "eggy".  I oddly do like the yolks but not the whites!

I've also given up a load of prescription meds in the past few weeks so having a real detox!

Interested in your comment regarding the medication detox. It took me 6 weeks to wean off the prednisone, and now trying to learn how to sleep on half the Ambien dosage that I’ve been taking for 5 or 6 years, with the ultimate goal of not needing it at all.  I’ve heard that many medications add to weigh (Prednisone for sure!) but there are some I will not be able to stop taking (i.e. beta blocker).  Trying to get rid of the ones that I can!

On 12/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, Garts Girl said:

I've recruited two co-workers....yay!!!!  So between a huz who's crazy supportive and co-workers.....I'm super ready.  I starting eating compliant yesterday to ease myself into it and am so glad I did.  I noticed yesterday I accepted a mint from a family member and it didn't even occur to me until I swallowed it all down.  Got to get my mind back into the program.  I think I'm going to read the Whole30 again. 

Hi Garts Girl - one of my coworkers initially started this train down the track - both of us planning a January 1 start date.  Now there are two additional coworkers joining us and we are all pretty excited that we will have the support of others.  My book just came today and I can’t wait to dig into it tonight!

21 hours ago, MomOfTwoMarines said:

Hi Janice - newbie here too.  I can relate to the health issues and know that many of mine go away or at least get better when I’m not filling my face with garbage food.  One thing I would suggest is picking a day - maybe Sunday afternoon - and chopping all your veges for the week.  Get some Ziploc bags and put each kind of vege in a bag.  Then when you come home from work, you’ll be less inclined to skip it because the prep work is already done.  My husband helps - we do the prep together which is great.  Now I need to do some planning around the meat part of the meals.    Lunches are easy - make a big pot of soup while you’re chopping those veges and perhaps a big salad for the week, to which you can add some chopped grilled chicken, etc....you might spend a couple hours, but you’re setting yourself up for success and saving far more time than that during the week (especially when you’re tired at the end of the day).  Good luck!

Hi!

Thanks so much for the advice.  I actually just bought a few pre-cut veggies at Trader Joe's!  I definitely need to get in the habit of prepping on the weekend!!  I can do this!!!!

21 hours ago, MomOfTwoMarines said:

This 52 year old is starting her first Whole30 on January 1.  The last couple of years I have gotten so far off track after being what I would consider Whole30 compliant for a few years (without even knowing it).  I had gotten down to a really comfortable weight and felt great physically and mentally.  Have had several medical issues (degenerative spine, spinal fusion, hysterectomy, polymyalgia rheumatica requiring months of steroids)....you get the picture.  I’m at my highest weight ever.  I feel terrible in my own skin,  no energy, can’t sleep, no self-esteem, and tired of trying to find something in my closet every morning.  A friend at work suggested we do this together and I didn’t have to think twice!  We will both start Jan. 1 and keep each other accountable.  I am so ready for this!

It seems as though we have a lot in common....lol!  I am also at a weight far higher than I would like and have various health issues.  I totally get the "feeling terrible in my own skin" thing!!  I am also in my early 50's (51).

We can do this, we will do this!!

Hi all! This will be my second Whole30. So excited reading everyone's stories and reasons for starting. I've been wanting to do this again for a while, and I thought "January will be perfect for a Whole30, I have NOTHING going on."

Fast forward to now- during this month I have two business trips and a weekend vacation! 

My plan is to be over prepared. I have all my groceries for week one in the fridge, a cookup planned out for Sunday, and pretty much all of my menus and grocery lists planned out in excel (very boring but very useful). Autopilot is my strategy this time around. Ever heard of decision fatigue? Your brain only has so many decisions it can make a day before it cramps up and is useless. If I have one tip it is to make sure you make all your food decisions first thing in the day. if you know what you're eating, you won't get thrown off by a long day or pizza that someone brought to a meeting  (omg WHY does pizza just seem to appear out of thin air during a Whole30?!)

Looking forward to keeping in touch with everyone!

1 hour ago, Janice Hansen said:

It seems as though we have a lot in common....lol!  I am also at a weight far higher than I would like and have various health issues.  I totally get the "feeling terrible in my own skin" thing!!  I am also in my early 50's (51).

We can do this, we will do this!!

Nice to connect, Janice!  I totally believe we can do anything we want.  Having support from others in similar places definitely helps!

Good evening all!! I too will be starting Jan1 on my second Whole30.  I will be traveling some in Jan and will just be returning home from visiting family on the 5th.  The challenge for me will be staying on track while traveling and in the airport but I am all in!!

I’m in for Jan 1too! I started a W30 back in 2015 but quit a little over halfway through due to extreme nausea from pregnancy. I’m super excited to start! Today I got my first week’s worth of meal planning and grocery list done, and tomorrow is actual shopping and food prep day. I’m doing this with a toddler and 5 month old in the house, so I know it’s going to be tough as heck, but I NEED this. I’m hoping to help my chronic pain, chronic nausea, chronic headaches, energy levels, MOOD/patience level, and metabolism. Here’s to a better 2018

I'm starting my first Whole 30 on January 1 also!   Looking forward to it.  I've spent the last two days reading and planning.  I will shop and prep Sunday.   Preparation is something I rely on because I need a plan.  I'm doing the Whole 30 with the goal of starting to work on emotional eating issues.   I expect that will take more than 30 days.   :)

I'm really excited to use my Day by Day book I just got too!

Hi there! Like many others here I'm a newbie starting January 1st. My main focus is just improving my overall health with a focus on my arthritic knees, painful feet, and weight loss along with increased energy and stamina and decreased bouts of heartburn/acid reflux. 

Archived