Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I attempted this once before but only made it to day 12.  I'm really looking forward to completing the 30 days!  I felt amazing the 12 days that I did it before.  I have a few friends who are doing this along with me but I would love to connect with more people!  Good luck to all of you doing this!!  Here's to day 1!!  Happy New Year!

Hello! I'm starting today as well! Drinking my bullet-proof coffee with ghee and brain octane and cinnamon (cinnamons ok, right?) I pigged out yesterday on a bunch of crap, knowing it was my last day and boy did I feel horrible all night, felt like I was going to throw up and didn't sleep at all! I'm so looking forward to doing this and feeling better! Hoping to find good instapot recipes as Well! I do know I am really going to struggle with the no wine in the evenings!!  

Hello All!  My husband and I are starting as well.  We ate and ate yesterday and we, like everyone else, are READY to start this new way of eating!  We have to lose 50+ lbs each. Don't know what exactly to do when 30 days are up.  should we have one cheat day and then start back Feb 1?   Would love some suggestions!!

This is it! I've talked about doing this for months in the hopes I can relieve the chronic lower back and hip and knee pain I've been experiencing and nothing seems to fix.

I've started a private Facebook with some friends who are doing it with me. One has done this before and has been a great cheerleader for us. I'm trying to get my adult daughters to do it with me as well (my son-in-law was genuinely interested when they were visiting a week ago and saw all my books out and scanned the recipes) and if they agree will most likely start next week.

I'm excited and challenged. It doesn't help that I'm going on very little sleep due to the New Year's Eve. I didn't stay up per se, but barely slept due to all the fireworks, people texting with wishes, and a son who didn't return home as planned. Normally that stress would be just enough to cause me to throw in the towel and decide to start tomorrow - or next week with my daughters - or on the next full moon - or whatever! I'm gifted at justifying anything to delay something like this - ha ha!

Yet - here I am - publicly introducing myself to all of you fine and committed and inspiring people - and telling ya'll...I'M IN!

Happy New Year everyone - may this be our best year ever!

On 12/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Anything that you want to know if it's commpliant or not, you can google 'whole30 + item' and get loads of results.  For Lara Bars, they are ONLY approved for emergencies (emergency being stuck on the tarmac in a blizzard and you're going to eat the arm of the kid next to you type of hunger'.  Lots of people have a hard time limiting these bars becasue they're basically as close to candy as you can get on Whole30, so 'emergencies' seem to pop up daily.

That said, any of the ones that do not have non compliant ingredients in them are okay... so the peanut butter one is not okay, the one with chocolate chips is not okay and anything that's pretending to be chocolate is not okay.

Thanks so much for the info SugarcubeOD ...

Are the RX bars also only for emergency?  Which are/are not compliant

2 minutes ago, Mistyfire said:

Soooo cold here in New England. Made a huge pot of chicken vegetable soup (well, it’s pretty thick, more like stew) that will take care of my lunches for the rest of the week. I work long hours so I love grab and go lunches!

I’m just outside of Boston, so I definitely agree on that one! A stew sounds perfect (and delicious) right about now.

Gosh I love New Years! I've done W30 successfully several times and made many more attempts. I'm stoked to rev it up again and get to feeling like my best me! 

Today was day 1 and it was a doozie. You'd think by now I'd be better prepared, especially for the inevitable stress-obstacles that never fail to attempt to throw me off track right out of the gate! 

SO many opportunities to make healthy wise decisions in the next 365 days! Let's do this!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tracy F said:

Thanks so much for the info SugarcubeOD ...

Are the RX bars also only for emergency?  Which are/are not compliant

Yes, also only for emergencies and the ones that are compliant are ones without non compliant ingredients and anything pretending to be a chocolate bar.  I believe they have a mint chocolate one, chocolate sea salt and chocolate coffee that would not be a fit for your program.

Hi.  Started yesterday.  I tried back in November, and made it almost 2 weeks before I got tripped up by an out of town trip to a family event where I expected to be able to find compliant food and wasn't.  Didn't plan well enough.  Happy to get back on the horse this month and start the year off great! 

Hey!! 
Im started Round 2 today. Well, I started yesterday but I failed last night. Im dead smack in the middle of a terrible cold. I need to do a reset and shed a few pounds in the process. I have avoided legumes ever since my first round because I learned that they don't entirely agree with me. After the first round my headaches subsided, I shed a few pounds and felt GREAT! 

I started my day with eggs over potato,  onion and mushrooms with some cashews. Lunch was left over moose stew made with turnip, carrot, onion and celery. 

I am still debating supper.... I think it will be sweet potato chilli. That or buffalo chicken casserole! 

Look forward to chatting and sharing with you all!

We got this!! 

Nance

Hello!

I'm doing my 2nd round. I did my first last spring at a doctors suggestion to find out what was causing my health issues (dairy).  I had hoped to do another in Sept, but thanks to Hurricane Flooding, that did not happen.  SO I'm doing my 2nd whole 30  now.

I had forgot how much prep work is required, since it is so much easier to just fix meals than to go out to eat.  I spent a lot of time chopping and cooking a head yesterday.  Made the Chicken Protein Salad, Shepard's pie, creamy balsamic vinaigrette from the Whole30. book.  I also am being reminded about how I eat a LOT more veggies on this program as a result. :-)

Today's food plan - Left over complaint chili (I used cauliflower rice, carrots instead of beans) for breakfast. I usually just have left overs for breakfast since eggs alone don't agree with me too well. Lunch is chicken salad with mixed greens and balsamic dressing.  Dinner will be left over shepard's pie.  Snacks are nuts (no peanuts!) and/or olives.

I learned the hard way about those bars last time around.  Besides, the little snack size of olives are a lot cheaper! 

Hi,

I also started Jan 1st, so I'm on day 2. So far I've done these two days at home and it's been fine, though I'm back at work tomorrow and a little bit worried about that. Most of the temptation and bad eating happens in the office - I'm pretty good at keeping my home free from junk. 

I've put an enormous load of veggies and beef mince in a Tupperware ready for work and will buy some nuts and snack fruit just in case. Fingers crossed!

I weighed 81.3kg yesterday, though I'm not really doing this for weight loss. I have chronic hives for which I take anti-histamines, and have unidentified digestive problems ranging from mild to severe. Fixing either or both of those would be a perfect result. My skin has also been awful this winter so I'm hoping that'll clear up too. 

Good luck everyone!!!

Laura

1st Whole 30.  Too exhausted from cooking all day yesterday to be hungry.   Day 2 was pretty good too.  Coworker wanted to try my food already and said she bought the book.   I would love to join a FB group if anyone knows of any.  

Day 2 was easier than day 1.   I used nutpods for my much needed coffee and with some advise from a health nutritionist, i also added some ghee, a dash of cayenne pepper, brain fuel and collagen to it.  It was actually quite good and filling.  

I usually do ok until about day 5, then my sugar Dragon begins to make its presence....on my first w30, I had a 4 day headache...I am hoping the headache isn't as long this time.  

I will be the first to admit that I am not a "prepper".  I do not like to cook much and I certainly do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I did bake about 3 lbs of skinless chicken so that I can throw some in salads, a quick stir fry, make chicken salad or a veggie/chicken mix.  I did premake my mayonnaise though.  I keep alot of chopped veggies in the freezer,  nuts in the pantry, bone broth for sipping, and lots of eggs.

I did buy the new w30 quick and easy cookbook and have marked several recipes for trying on the weekends :D. We will see how that goes!

I hope everyone has had a good 2 days.... cheers to day 3 tomorrow!

I started the first, and I will say I’ve felt pretty discouraged a few times in the past couple days. I wasn’t prepared, but I’m working with what I have and have made a couple trips to the grocery store to buy Whole30 approved food to make some recipes. I made the Shepherd’s Pie tonight, and didn’t have a cheesecloth to clarify the butter. I did my best by using a spoon in an effort to remove the white, dairy part. I don't think it warrants starting over; it was only 4 tablespoons. I had a headache throughout the day and tried to psych myself out yesterday, but I’m sticking with it. I know I’d regret it if I didn’t. 

Hi everyone!

How's it going?  Its day 3 for me and I admit so far, so good.  I did have some slight sugar cravings, but I have been doing meyer lemons in my sparkling/regular water which helps. 

Also, I noticed for the first two days, I haven't really been hungry and only been doing two meals a day with no snacks.  However, I am up right now, because I skipped lunch today at work.  I woke up around 1am hungry, not starving, but hungry for protien!  I had made sauteed pork loin chops in ghee with salt and pepper for dinner and had only one with two servings of Trader Joe's Cruciferious Crunch Salad with basalmic vinegar as a dressed and one serving of sauteed bella mushrooms.  I know it seems like a lot, but I was still somewhat hungry when I finished.  I am trying to learn when I am really hungry or just cravings.  

BUTTTT, I am up because I was hungry and so I made another pork loin chop.  I just finished it and feel satisfied, but I could eat another.  Is this normal?  Will I ever get this hunger situation together?  Also was it wrong for me to eat this in the middle of the night?

One more thing, I have noticed that since I have been on the program, I have been going to the bathroom a lot and have diahrrea (sometimes, explosive, sorry I know this is tmi) and I noticed that I have some stomach pain right before I have to go, but afterwards, it goes away.  Its always somewhat runny with very little solids.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

The other side effect I noticed is that my sinuses are draining like crazy!  Anyone else having any of this?  Any advice would be great!

I started a bit earlier, so I've finished 7 days.  This is my second Whole 30, and it feels like my whole life is revolving around cooking.  I had the fantasy of joining one of those services where they ship you meals you just heat up, but, besides not having a spare $1000 floating around, I realized that wouldn't do anything for my figuring out strategies to eat better.  Since I teach, I'm on winter break, though will be back at work by the 3rd week of the month.  For those of you doing this at a time where you're working, my hat goes off to you.  Monday I went to a New Years open house during the day.  I didn't bring food for myself, but made sure I had a full meal before I went.  It was comic, almost, this huge display of food, and other than some fruit, carrot sticks, and olives, there was nothing I could eat.  Though lots of noncompliant gluten free stuff.  What was interesting is that I didn't really want the food—and cheese, which is always at these things, is usually my downfall.  My body does not do well with cheese, but I love it.  But Monday I didn't want it.

I'm eating delicious food.  And the food I'm eating does taste delicious, super delicious.  My tastebuds are very sensitive, and I've been craving weird things like watercress and pomegranate.  I took advantage today of Whole Foods' hot bar offering Nom Nom Paleo for the month of January, a few things anyway, and it was a treat to eat something somebody else cooked.  Even though this Whole Foods I went to doesn't have the best hot bar of the ones around.  I've also been going to gentle yoga classes, which is something I've be unable to get myself to do for like a year.  It feels, wonderfully, spa-like, like a gift.

I've felt so sick and bloated the past couple of months, that even with the tiredness and slight headaches I've felt this week, I feel way better than I did before, not feeding my body things that don't agree with it.  Trying to focus on how much better I feel and how good the food I am eating tastes.

Archived