Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

Day 3.

I did my first Crossfit workout this morning since starting. I felt OK initially but ran out of energy quite quickly. I won't be too fast to blame the diet though, I have been recovering from another chesty cold (my second one this winter) so it could be that.

My skin looks a little better - at least, I don't have any new blemishes since starting and the existing ones are gradually improving. 

I had a black coffee (I always drink it black so no problem), banana, a carrot, and eggs scrambled with shredded veggies for breakfast and I have sweet potato mash (with ghee), lean beef with tomato and steamed broccoli & runner beans for lunch. I also have with me 2 plums, a banana, a tomato, and a carrot. Already eaten one of the plums. I think I'll get through this workday no problem :-)

Not sure what's for dinner but I took a baked potato out of the freezer yesterday evening and have plenty more eggs, carrots, tomatoes, nuts and seeds etc. so I'll wing it. Feeling confident & drinking herbal tea.

Someone mentioned not having a cheesecloth for clarified butter - I've made ghee before by lining a small tea sieve (for loose leaf) with kitchen paper. It worked perfectly.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did not have time to make dinner last night- thankfully I had compliant hot dogs on hand and some guacamole from the Whole30 Cookbook. So fast, and pretty good!

I didn't want to be without dinner again tonight so I made the Mole Meatballs from Well Fed Weeknights and refrigerated them. I used a stick blender in my cast iron skillet to puree the sauce and it flew everywhere! Can't complain though; the sauce tasted great, can't wait to have them for dinner tonight!

Ok here I am at day 3. Feel pretty good and actually loving buying and cooking my meals. I realize how far off track I have gotten.. dang sugar dragon.

the only issue so far is that I felt like my regular hiit and weight training workout felt extremely difficult this a.m. and I got nauseated while doing it. Not a fan of that!!

oh and I woke up with a fuzzy vague headachey feeling.

Hang in there everyone! It’s all worth it!

My headache started a bit last night while I did my first workout.  I did work out regularly for 2 weeks in December (trying to get a jump on things) but the holidays closed the rec center (I workout at a university rec center).  Today there is no headache and I admit that KNOWING what I'm going to eat takes a lot of pressure off.

This morning I had chicken salad and coffee. I'm not really an egg person and the other breakfasts foods I like aren't complient!.  For lunch, it's left over Shepard's pie.  For snack, it's olives. In all honesty, I'm not a big olive person, but I find they help with cravings and are very satisfying.  For dinner tonight, it's chicken curry and cauliflower rice.  I do add some hot sauce to the recipe though.  I like spicy!

One of the good side effects of this diet is that I just naturally start drinking more water, although it's cold so it's mainly in the guise of herbal teas.  

Hi everyone! 

Just started on Monday, doing pretty well but haven’t worked out yet — I suffer from CFS so it takes me a bit to master enough energy to work out. And unfortunately the weather is really miserable here, so walking is out right now. What is everyone having for dinner? For us it’s pork belly and mashed cauliflower with sweet potato and topinambur.

Looking forward to connecting with other W30ers!

Hi, I started on Jan 1 as well. This is my 2nd Whole30. Not feeling too many side effects yet on day 3. Woke up pretty hungry early this morning but I always have trouble with nausea if I only eat eggs and avocados. I find that I have to have some fruit or a carb-dense veggie in the morning.

I have so many ideas for meals from Instagram and the Whole30 cookbooks but boy, my small kitchen gets trashed quickly! Even though I've always cooked regularly, I find the amount of cooking and cleanup necessary to be the hardest part of the whole experience!

Last time I didn't really participate in a forum or record my meals in anyway. I'm happy to follow along with others who are on the same Whole30 page this time!

20 hours ago, ItsAboutTime said:

The headache has arrived....... :(

same...yesterday was terrible. I was thinking it was this flu I have been fighting with since Friday but I think its just the whole30 headache. feeling much better this morning. although I dropped the ball on breakfast. No veg. :o I just had eggs, ranch and coffee. I really just wasnt feeling great. I have a great lunch of leftover hot wings, ranch sauce, veggies, and if I NEED, half a banana. 

I hate when I mess up a meal but I know I will make it better at lunch and I had to post to be accountable. This is day 3. 

21 minutes ago, NanSea said:

same...yesterday was terrible. I was thinking it was this flu I have been fighting with since Friday but I think its just the whole30 headache. feeling much better this morning. although I dropped the ball on breakfast. No veg. :o I just had eggs, ranch and coffee. I really just wasnt feeling great. I have a great lunch of leftover hot wings, ranch sauce, veggies, and if I NEED, half a banana. 

I hate when I mess up a meal but I know I will make it better at lunch and I had to post to be accountable. This is day 3. 

Same! Headache started last night and is persisting into today but I'm also fighting a virus. Happy winter!

Hungry and feeling run down yesterday afternoon at work, had a banana, didn't help. Had my dinner, that did help.

Day 4.

My cold feels worse, I feel a bit weak and nauseous as well as headache-y. How long does this normally last?

I didn't workout this morning. Will attempt to tomorrow morning.

OK, here I am at the end of day four. Feeling pretty good. Except for the headache I woke up with again today. But I have cooked more things in the past few days than I’ve cooked in the past six months!!

I’ve made a pork roast, roasted a whole chicken, made cauliflower chicken fried rice, made a vegetable chicken soup, made delicious compliant chili and chicken curry. I’ve roasted green beans, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and baby red and purple potatoes and butternut squash! Oh and also made a large frittata!

My husband has been going along and generally eats what ever I cook. (followed by a cookie, ugh)

I have had this week off except for shoveling the ridiculous amount of snow off my walks and driveways! So my only concern is how I’m going to keep this up next week when I go back to work! Have several things in the freezer already. Man I’m tired just reading all that!

Hope all of you enjoying this beautiful weather in the Northeast with me stay safe and warm! 

Hello everyone!

Day 4

Yesterday I made my own chicken stock, and then soup,  it was soooo good, that i had to drink the leftover broth that wouldn't fit in my container!  I also made baked apples with cinnamon,  cardamom, salt and coconut oil.    YUMMY .  My husband is also enjoying all of  the new dishes.  So far so good, day 4 and no side effects.... yet!. 

4 hours ago, jgogo said:

For those who have done Whole30 before, I'm curious how well you followed the follow-up program, as opposed to going back to old habits. I have a feeling it's the "afterwards" that's the key.

I completed my first Whole 30 about July 4 last year, did re-introductions and didn't notice any significant issues - but in retrospect, I don't think I ate enough of the food group I was testing.  Regardless, I had made such amazing gains through the Whole 30, I just mostly continue to eat Whole30 all the time - I'd say 95% - and just don't sweat eating out (I still choose foods that are basically whole30, but I don't ask about sugar in the sauce, or soybean oil in the salad dressing, for instance.)  I'm on board for a second 100% whole 30, started Jan 1.  Doing and feeling well, but I think I overdid some fruit last night/this morning (honeydew and blueberries) - I almost got into "binge" mode, and I'm guessing that's the sugar dragon.  Going to watch that going forward...

Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, jgogo said:

Good news! What specifically were the gains you saw, if you care to elaborate?

I lost 40 lbs without increasing exercise or limiting portion size; I got off of blood pressure medication and my BP is lower than it was on meds (110/70 vs 130/90); I went from the high end of pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar; my triglycerides are 3x lower now; total and bad cholesterol dropped slightly.  I've rejuvenated my joy of cooking; I am calmer, and my sleep has improved modestly.  And I kicked my diet soda "habit" (which is a kind word for it :) )

I mostly don't miss non-compliant foods.  Don't get me wrong, many of them sound good, but I don't mind not eating them.  I LOVE the food I eat, and rarely do I feel deprived.

I'll try to share some of the shortcuts I've learned to make the cooking a little easier, but I am fortunate in that I enjoy cooking. 

Wow! Impressive indeed. I love cooking too, and I'm good at it -- have been at it since before Julia C. hit the scene. That's making Whole30 easier. The constant dishwashing in my dishwasherless apartment is a downer, though.

Day 5

I woke up feeling pretty alert, which is unusual. 

Crossfit was quite difficult, my limbs felt like lead.

But the biggest difference so far is in my mental alertness - no more brain fog. I have had brain fog every day for so long I don't really remember a time without it. I am always tired, always struggling to focus at work, and no amount of sleep makes any difference. My colleagues noticed today I am much more cheerful, and I feel like I'm actually a functioning adult. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm on day 5 - forgot to check in yesterday.

I'm doing well, although I worked out yesterday (I also worked out on day 2).  Day 2 wasn't too bad, a little weaker than normal. But yesterday's workout just flat out sucked!  I DID job more/longer distance than I did before.  But I was much weaker on my floor exercises.

No don't get me wrong - I'm by no means in good shape.  I'm an obese, 49 year old woman who hadn't regulary worked out since 2014.  But I WAS able to at least do 10 situps without hauling myself up by my knees!  I suspect this is  part of the 'kill all the things' as my body switches from high sugar to other forms of energy.

And I wouldn't say I've been cranky so much as more bitingly sarcastic.  Luckily, I'm surrounded by people who enjoy that kind of thing.

Food wise, I'm on track.  However, like some one else mentioned, I've cooked more this week than I have in the last several months.  And I keep running out of veggies!  

The workout last night did wipe me out, so I opted for left over shepard's pie instead of the spaghetti squash casserole I had planned.  I've been eating leftovers for breakfast and lunch this week, then cooking something fresh for dinner.  My go to's have always been the Chicken Protien Salad.  Can mix that up quickly, it's yummy and I can throw all sorts of veggies into it.  

Two other things I'm noticing.  I'm craving - to be expected, damn sugar dragon! - and I'm sleeping much MUCH better.

I'm on Day 10, and for the first time I'm having sugar cravings too. Not all day, just after dinner, when I always had a little something sweet, if only a few animal crackers. I've thought about having some fruit, but that would only feed the sugar dragon. So I'm going to watch "Blue Bloods"!

Hello Everyone!

Well, today was day 5, and I am feeling pretty darn good!  I had the "sugar headache" on day 2, 3, and a bit on 4...but today....no headache!  I feel like I have energy, but I am sleepy at the same time.

On the positive side, I suffer from IBS and acid reflux.  I was dealing with heartburn everyday, and my IBS usually flared every 2nd or 3rd day.  Since I started Whole30.....no heartburn and no IBS symptoms.....This is amazing!!!!  I am doing well with the meals....but struggle a bit with getting enough veggies in for breakfast.  

Overall....a pretty successful 5 days!!

Wrapping up Day 5 here! I haven't had any cravings yet, but I think that might come later. Fortunately, my husband and I tried and ate a lot of Whole30 compliant meals over the holidays, when we weren't eating "holiday food" with family. We even had friends over tonight at the last minute (their heat went out in the midst of one of our longest cold snaps, eep!) and had enough food to feed them a Whole30 meal, too. They liked it so much they asked for the recipe. Woo! 

I shopped the Whole Foods meat sales today and stocked up on ground turkey, ground beef, and compliant apple sausage. Looking forward to some stir fries, bowls, and zucchini noodles over the next couple weeks. :)

Archived