Starting January 1, 2018

dfbt

Definitely in the "kill all the things" stage!! Man everyone is SO annoying!!! 

Day 6 today and managed to go out to a company dinner last night with my husband....did find it a bit difficult, fried calimari, bread that smelled amazing and desserts all around me but I was able to get some grilled swordfish, sauteed spinach and baby potato, wasn't very good i think because I asked so many questions and requested no dairy,gluten or soy they thought I meant plain and dry. Would much have preferred my own cooking. Got a giant slow cooker of tomato sauce with meatballs going and going to try my hand at making zucchini noodles for the first time.

Going to try and not be too snarky with family!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cranky today!  Snapped at my husband while we were putting Christmas away. He just told me to knock It off, so all good. Day 6 feeling pretty good. We usually go out on weekends but dinner is in the oven starting to smell fabulous. This is my second Whole30 so I found that making sure I don't have to travel for work and no parties helps me focus on me and being Whole30.  Time is flying and this will be over in a flash!  Enjoy the journey fellow January 1 starters. 

Hi guys. Things are going really well this time around (2nd full Whole30, with 2 mini-resets under my belt :)).  BIG QUESTION THO:  

This has been an issue for me for many, many months, and one I’m hoping this Whole30 will help resolve. MY SLEEP RHYTHM IS WHACKED!! :P  I will fall hard asleep in the early evening, wake up 2 hours later and then I’m up til 2-3 am. I could sleep til noon the next day, easily, if I could. I’ve tried magnesium, melatonin, meditation, reading, alarms, hot baths, etc, all to no avail.  My energy and clarity start to pick up after dinner and by 10:30 pm, I’m ready to take on the world!!  ACK!!

I’m eating well from the template with little to no snacking between meals. I exercise regularly and consider myself fit. Is there perhaps something hormonal going on?  Any FOOD connections or thoughts that anyone can think of that could be contributing, or conversely, be a solution?  This is a real problem that I have earnestly tried to resolve, but to no avail. 

Thanks for any feedback!  Carry on!

Steph

Day 7!

I'm actually finding this pretty easy and straightforward. The headache subsided after day 4 and I've been all good since. I did an interval indoor rowing workout yesterday and have been for a training session on the water this morning, feeling OK. 

I'm not eating out so that helps, I'm not craving anything either.

Anyone still suffering headaches, check your salt intake - especially if you're sweating a lot during workouts. I have learned that one the hard way.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, Steph the Desert Rat said:

Hi guys. Things are going really well this time around (2nd full Whole30, with 2 mini-resets under my belt :)).  BIG QUESTION THO:  

This has been an issue for me for many, many months, and one I’m hoping this Whole30 will help resolve. MY SLEEP RHYTHM IS WHACKED!! :P  I will fall hard asleep in the early evening, wake up 2 hours later and then I’m up til 2-3 am. I could sleep til noon the next day, easily, if I could. I’ve tried magnesium, melatonin, meditation, reading, alarms, hot baths, etc, all to no avail.  My energy and clarity start to pick up after dinner and by 10:30 pm, I’m ready to take on the world!!  ACK!!

I’m eating well from the template with little to no snacking between meals. I exercise regularly and consider myself fit. Is there perhaps something hormonal going on?  Any FOOD connections or thoughts that anyone can think of that could be contributing, or conversely, be a solution?  This is a real problem that I have earnestly tried to resolve, but to no avail. 

Thanks for any feedback!  Carry on!

Steph

There definitely could be something hormonal going on. The only issue I can think of is caffeine after noon or eating close to bedtime. I am trying no electronics for 1-2 hours prior to sleep and magnesium to see if this helps my sleep (I fall asleep ok, but wake up often after hour 5-6). You could also try valerian root if you can find W30 compliant supplement - which I have found is NOT easy :(.

Hope you get better sleep soon,

Toni

P.S. Are you in Arizona - 'Desert Rat'? I live in Gilbert, AZ

Day 8 for me and going strong. Well, I just lost half my lunch on the floor at the office. You all must know how catastrophic that is. I am left with one coconut crusted chicken tender, mushrooms and onions. not even enough to fill a small dinner plate. I do have a banana which I will eat.

other than that its all good! I finally got my instant pot from Amazon and its great!! I tried my hand at mayo and that was a fail. I will try again this evening!

I am having more vivid dreams which was the same during my first round. Even after 8 days my skin is more clear and soft! no make up today!! Going #2 has been fine and not too frequent as it was on my previous round and previous round attempts.

I also got up early and did one workout from the 21day fix program. That was hard as hell but I pushed through. Right after I had a medical for work and in 3 years I have gained 15lbs :( that is not good people!!! My BMI is sitting at 28. Although this round isn't for loosing weight, I hope it comes along with it!! especially adding the exercise!!

How are you guys? any NSV to share? advice on mayo making?

If people are struggling with running out of veggies or having a lack of time to prep veggies for breakfast I found that having loads of frozen veg helped loads as a back up. Also if you buy some of the small bags you put in the microwave they are a great time saver when you don’t have time (or energy) to chop, boil water, drain etc. This has helped me with having veg for breakfast on my previous whole30s.

My sugar dragon was prowling after dinner last night (I think I was partly bored) so I had a hot bone broth with coconut milk. Anyone have any tips for distraction techniques in the evenings?? We have an open plan kitchen/lounge so temptation is right there! 

@NanSea I make my mayo in a small food processor. As it doesn’t have a hole to pour the oil in with the blender on I start with 1/4 cup light olive oil, add the mustard etc and the egg (make sure it is room temp!!!). Then blitz for 30 secs. Add another 1/4 cup oil and blitz for 30 secs again. Repeat this 3 more times (total of 1 and 1/4 cups oil) and it’s done. It thickens as more each time you add then again when refrigerated. I do this every time and it has never failed. Good luck!!! 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, YvonneB said:

My sugar dragon was prowling after dinner last night (I think I was partly bored) so I had a hot bone broth with coconut milk. Anyone have any tips for distraction techniques in the evenings?? We have an open plan kitchen/lounge so temptation is right there! 

Read a book, take a bath, write in a journal, watch Netflix, take a walk, call a friend, make some tea, clean out a junk drawer, learn to knit/crochet, do laundry, fold laundry, put laundry away (LOL), draw, paint, garden (maybe not so much now in the N. Hemisphere), drive to a park and watch the ducks (again, maybe a better summer activity), surf the forum, write a letter, paint your nails, watch makeup tutorials, research new kitchen gadgets... Lots and lots of stuff you can do!

• Administrators

Go to the dollar store and buy shelf paper and start papering your shelves. Especially in the kitchen this is handy because you can clean out cabinets as you go.

Dust your baseboards

Reorganize your linen closet

Go through old vacation pictures

Go through your house and find 10 things to donate to a charity or shelter

3 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Go to the dollar store and buy shelf paper and start papering your shelves. Especially in the kitchen this is handy because you can clean out cabinets as you go.

Dust your baseboards

Reorganize your linen closet

Go through old vacation pictures

Go through your house and find 10 things to donate to a charity or shelter

Dust your baseboards???

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, jgogo said:

Dust your baseboards???

Like.....get on your hands and knees and run a cloth along the tops of all your baseboard trim? It gets dusty and gross and most people forget to wipe it. Great boredom buster!

Ok, day 10....feeling tired, bloated and cranky, other than that this is awesome!! I guess according to the timeline in the book it makes sense.

Not finding meal prep to bad as I keep ahead of it and cook double bathes of just about everything.

Hoping to feel better tomorrow.

I'm slowly making my way through forum posts and am a little late to this party, but I also started on Jan 1st.  So far so good.....except for the fact that I'm starting to think my body reacts negatively to eggs.  I'm already lactose intolerant and giving up eggs sounds really, really hard.  Crossing my fingers.

Almost halfway to the new us!  Good luck everyone!

Hi All,

still not feeling great.. exhausted,foggy, bloated and having cravings today. Not too bad but at my hairdresser and the bowl of Dove dark chocolate is talking to me!

My pants feel uncomfortably tight and had a couple of fleeting, “ what’s the point “ thoughts. 

Anyone else feeling this way?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Marytree said:

Hi All,

still not feeling great.. exhausted,foggy, bloated and having cravings today. Not too bad but at my hairdresser and the bowl of Dove dark chocolate is talking to me!

My pants feel uncomfortably tight and had a couple of fleeting, “ what’s the point “ thoughts. 

Anyone else feeling this way?

Don't touch those chocolates!  They won't make your pants less tight... While you're in the chair tho, you might want to look at the timeline (linked in my signature below)... you might be in the 'holy gossling my pants are TIGHTER' phase...

Day 11!!

Still going strong and going to attempt mayo again this weekend. I am also going to make a big pot of bone broth. Yesterday we received our pile of fresh, local, grass fed beef from my boyfriends uncles farm. Very excited for that!

I am feeling good and definitely loosing. My belly looks so much flatter and my pants fit better. However, I started my period 2 days early and have the worst cramps! I can honestly say I never had them like this before. Im 30! Other than that I woke up this morning at 6:30 after sleeping since 12:30 and thought "NSV!!!" I usually wake up between 2-3 times a night to go to the washroom. I made it until 6:30 today which is only 30mins before my alarm.

Meals and prep have been going. I love making shepperds pie. Its sooooo filling and I have lots of leftovers. I have also perfected it so it tastes very similar to my old non compliant recipe. Mushroom broth is key!

I have been thinking about whats to come after this round. I am craving pizza, chocolate and chips. I am a "big sister" with "big brothers big sisters" and last night my little asked if we could go for nachos again after I complete this round. I said sure.... then I was thinking about it and got anxious about it. In the past I have attempted a number of rounds and didn't reintroduce... I remained fairly compliant but eventually fell back into eating like crap. I had one successful round. I am trying to figure out now how it will go after this round. Like I said before, I gained 15lbs in 3 years and I cant go back to that! I need to loose! I need to be healthy. Plus, I may want to have a baby one day and I want my body to be in tip top shape.

17 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Don't touch those chocolates!  They won't make your pants less tight... While you're in the chair tho, you might want to look at the timeline (linked in my signature below)... you might be in the 'holy gossling my pants are TIGHTER' phase...

Made it through, actually slept a little better last night. My work schedule is crazy this week so maybe that’s the exhausting feeling, stress kills but I am definitely lacking in the energy department. Haven’t had time to work out but not sure I’d get through one of my regular workouts anyway right now.

pants still feel tight today, and I am constantly needing to pee!

looking forward to the weekend!

Good Morning, fellow Whole30'ers
Today is day 12 for me and I didn't have really all the "effects" for the first week like the book said.  This is my first round, by the way.   But....last night, I started to develop a headache and I woke up about midnight with a raging migraine.  I did take some Motrin and went back to sleep.  But my headache was still with me when I woke up this morning.  I've had coffee and my breakfast.  My headache is slightly gone, but I can still feel it. 

Is this normal for day 12??  I was looking through my books and the website and I can't find where it would still be normal to have this pop up all of a sudden.  

22 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

That timeline was a good read. Put my mind at ease over having some diarrhea yesterday. I was worried that it was just more of the same pre-whole30 problems but I hope it's the digestive healing process. 

Day 12 - I am TIRED today. Work has hit that peak stress time we have once a quarter, and I sat through a whole day in a meeting room with sandwiches, chocolate coated things and cakes right under my nose.

Really could have done with a post-work bucket of wine with my co-workers but a couple of them are doing "dry January" so we're keeping each other on the straight and narrow. It all helps.

Day 13 and YES my pants are fitting again. Still tired but a bit more energy today.

the thing I hope most to hang on to after the 30 days is shopping and cooking my own food. I really do enjoy it but often don’t have time. Doing this Whole30 has taught me how to make time.

I finally checked out a local farmers market today and got some great stuff! Made a pork stir fry tonight with cabbage, carrots and basil. Got my hands on some kalettes. They are awesome! A cross between Brussels sprouts and kale. Picture below. Roasted  them with olive oil and had with a grilled steak and sweet potatoes.

686A986F-ACE5-4860-83C0-E53DF371A33D.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marytree said:

Day 13 and YES my pants are fitting again. Still tired but a bit more energy today.

the thing I hope most to hang on to after the 30 days is shopping and cooking my own food. I really do enjoy it but often don’t have time. Doing this Whole30 has taught me how to make time.

I finally checked out a local farmers market today and got some great stuff! Made a pork stir fry tonight with cabbage, carrots and basil. Got my hands on some kalettes. They are awesome! A cross between Brussels sprouts and kale. Picture below. Roasted  them with olive oil and had with a grilled steak and sweet potatoes.

686A986F-ACE5-4860-83C0-E53DF371A33D.jpeg

OH man, I want those!  That's so cool, I've never heard of them before but I'd definitely eat a bushel if I could find them... kale and Brussels Sprouts are two of my fave veggies!!

10 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

OH man, I want those!  That's so cool, I've never heard of them before but I'd definitely eat a bushel if I could find them... kale and Brussels Sprouts are two of my fave veggies!!

First time I’ve seen them! A local farm grows them. I’m guessing in a greenhouse considering it’s freezing here in New England!

Question? Is it possible I’m eating too much”good fat”

i have been cooking so much and using ghee, coconut oil, animal fat and olive oil pretty liberally.

for example: this is what I ate today

breakfast was a turmeric ground pork and cabbage story fry with 2 eggs on top. 1/4 if an avacado and about 1/2 plantain, fried in coconut oil aka tostones.

lunch was and applegate hot dog in a romaine lettuce wrap with some compliant salsa and a 1/4 of sliced avacado, sautéed zucchini on the side

dinner was apple cider pulled pork with steamed broccoli and the rest of the tostones from breakfast.

I’m asking cause I’m positive I’m not loosing weight. I know, I know not supposed focus on the weight. Just checking??

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marytree said:

Question? Is it possible I’m eating too much”good fat”

i have been cooking so much and using ghee, coconut oil, animal fat and olive oil pretty liberally.

for example: this is what I ate today

breakfast was a turmeric ground pork and cabbage story fry with 2 eggs on top. 1/4 if an avacado and about 1/2 plantain, fried in coconut oil aka tostones.

lunch was and applegate hot dog in a romaine lettuce wrap with some compliant salsa and a 1/4 of sliced avacado, sautéed zucchini on the side

dinner was apple cider pulled pork with steamed broccoli and the rest of the tostones from breakfast.

I’m asking cause I’m positive I’m not loosing weight. I know, I know not supposed focus on the weight. Just checking??

Doesn't look like it from here... cooking fat often stays in the pan and is split between portions... 1/2 to a whole avocado is considered a serving and you're at a quarter and your dinner has none.  Believe it or not, skimping on fat can cause the body to not want to release weight (if you have it to lose) because it considers that it could be approaching famine... Also, you're only 14 days in... give it time, trust the process and yes, this isn't a 'diet' so weightloss is not guarenteed altho often a pleasing side effect from eating properly and cutting out the Standard American Diet stuff.

Archived