Deli meat

Lizzo24

• Moderators

For any food that comes in a package, you look at the ingredients, and you compare them to the program rules.  If there are any ingredients that are not okay based on the rules, that food is not compliant. If there are other ingredients you're not sure about, you can google Whole30 plus that ingredient and probably find that it's been addressed somewhere in the past, or you can check the Common Additives Cheat Sheet and the Sneaky Sugar List, both of which can be found here, and see if it's listed there. 

For canned tomatoes, you should be able to find some that contain just tomatoes, or tomatoes and salt -- those would definitely be okay. If there are other ingredients, they may still be okay, it depends on what the ingredients are.

9 hours ago, Lizzo24 said:

Thanks so much!:)

You will become a label reading expert!! It is a bit frustrating in the beginning, I would definitely carve out a little more time to grocery shop when you start but after a while you'll start to remember what to look for and have a base of things that you know you can buy. Welcome!!

• 2 weeks later...

I shopped yesterday so I could start today.  Took twice as long because I looked up dozens of additives on my phone.  Wish I had taken a copy of the Additives List with me!  I did not realize just how many food have sulfites in one form or the other.  And I was shopping at Sprouts.  I may have to give "Whole Paycheck" a try next time.

@DJ, Atlanta Unless you want the convenience of pre-packaged, pre-made stuff, there is absolutely no reason you should have to shop at Whole Paycheck or any other high-end store to find compliant foods. Particularly if you're making your own meals from scratch, you can find all the meats, veggies, oils, fats, canned goods, etc. that you'll need at any grocery store, including Walmart. I've actually also found remarkable success at Costco as well. They have compliant pulled pork, deli turkey, and sausage there... 

Keep learning to read those labels and you'll be surprised what you can find! 

If you do want the ease and convenience of pre-made sauces, dressings, etc., online shopping is nice. Thrive Market has been a great resource for me to buy salad dressings and pasta sauces. 

Thanks, I've never been big on deli meats or processed, but its good to know some other stores have compliant prepackaged food items for really busy times.  I  hit Kroger and Sprouts this week and had trouble finding sun dried tomatoes without the non-compliant additives and sugar free bacon.  Some of the companies said online that these stores carried their products, but I guess they only carried a few, because sugar free bacon was unavailable.  Once I find a few compliant condiments, I hope to be able to shop for everything else at Costco or Trader Joe's.  I do like online shopping so I'll check out Thrive Market.   Thank you for the suggestion.

@DJ, Atlanta Sugar-free bacon is tough. I have managed to find it at Safeway, Raley's and a local whole foods store. I've also heard rumors that Costco has sugar-free bacon... Buying online is super expensive because of shipping and refrigeration. I hope you can find some! 

Here are some of my favorite condiments (they're expensive but time is valuable to me so I buy a lot of ready-made stuff): 

• Tessemae's Organic BBQ Sauce 
  • Tessemae's Hot Buffalo Sauce 
  • Primal Kitchen Caesar Dressing (available on Thrive)
  • Primal Kitchen Green Goddess Dressing (available on Thrive)
  • Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo (available on Thrive)
  • The New Primal Classic Marinade (available on Thrive) 

I will try that Chipotle lime mayo.  It sounds good.  Made mayo tonight, only had avocado oil and EVO so used half avocado to cut the flavor of the EVO.  It was OK, but will need some spicing up.  It's targeted for chicken salad tomorrow.  Not too keen about the avocado oil in the mayo, plus it is pricey.  Off to buy light olive oil tomorrow.  

Any suggestions for a good brand of ghee?  I made a batch tonight but was really worried about leaving any milk solids.  Thought buying it might be safer.  I'm headed to Costco - with any luck they will carry it.  They have really expanded their selection of what used to be considered specialty foods.  

kirbz, thank you for your help today.  I'm tired (it's 9 pm here) but I think that is mostly from the amount of time I spent in the kitchen - I feel like it was an even split between cooking and washing dishes.  LOL

@DJ, Atlanta I like Fourth & Heart ghee, which I buy on Thrive (are you detecting a theme here?)... But I use a variety, often whatever I find at the grocery store because I go through a lot of ghee!

Haha, I totally get you on the dishes and cooking. I did a Whole43 earlier this year and feel like I should have just put my bed next to the sink and stove! I spent so much time there! 

Oh, if you do join Thrive (it is a membership with an annual fee), there's a deal through Whole30 where you get $60 in free groceries over the course of three orders (click on the Thrive website link under Whole30 Approved link). I used that to stock up at the beginning of mine!

Best of luck to you! 

Archived