Whole30 but eating less meat/fish

Sandyg_london

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and considering doing my first reset soon. Probably just after Christmas. I'm a little concerned about the amount of meat/fish participants are advised to eat as I'm in the process of trying to reduce the amount I eat for ethical reasons. The small amount I do currently eat is as ethically sourced as possible which is what Melissa advises anyway, so I'm cool with that. I don't like eating meat first thing for breakfast anyway so are non-meat meals ok on the programme? What non-meat proteins are recommended for the programme? Would hemp protein powder in smoothies and soups be OK for example?

Second question: I'm flying from London to Texas for work in January but would like to start before then. It's a really long flight so we would probably be served at least 2 meals. I can't image airplane food would fit the programme so any advice on what to eat on the plane would be great. I guess I could have a big Whole30 compliant meal at the airport and take snacks for the plane? The flight is about 11 hrs. Also, any advice on eating while on a business trip would also be useful. Thanks in advance.

I'm also planning on starting the Whole30 after Christmas and currently eat a very low meat diet. I've started to do some online research and have found  bit of information, including the recommended shopping list for vegetarians. One thing I'm  not sure about is that this shopping list includes legumes, which I thought weren't allowed in the Whole30 program but I guess that an exception is made for vegetarians so that we can get enough protein? I haven't read "It Starts With Food" yet, which is supposed to have more information about the programs for vegetarians, but I'll be starting it later this week so that I can finish it before I start the program.  

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, CMCA said:

I'm also planning on starting the Whole30 after Christmas and currently eat a very low meat diet. I've started to do some online research and have found  bit of information, including the recommended shopping list for vegetarians. One thing I'm  not sure about is that this shopping list includes legumes, which I thought weren't allowed in the Whole30 program but I guess that an exception is made for vegetarians so that we can get enough protein? I haven't read "It Starts With Food" yet, which is supposed to have more information about the programs for vegetarians, but I'll be starting it later this week so that I can finish it before I start the program.  

Hi @CMCA - I've removed your link as that is not a valid copy of the shopping list for vegetarians. Please see the link below:

https://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list-veg.pdf

That said, the general guidance is that if you are willing to eat animal protein including eggs and fish, that you do the Whole30 as written (omnivore version) for 30 days so that you can have a full system reset and then reintroduce the vegetarian proteins that you might wish to include and see how they affect you.

Archived