I have been reading a lot about celery powder in uncured bacon and Applegate meat products. It seems to be a little scary and misleading. So the label on the bacon or chicken sausage say "no nitrates or nitrites", yet it contains celery powder, which has more sodium nitrate in it then if the meat-packers just put in pure Sodium Nitrates in themselves. Also if Vitamin C is not required to offset the Nitrates in the meat, then it's just as bad, right!!!??? 

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. 

• Administrators

Ya, those sneaky food manufacuters have been replacing the chemicals with things that sound natural. The one that got me was Rosemary extract. Especially when I discovered that it is often "extracted" using acetone......like....nail polish remover?

This is a good article to describe what has happened.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/11458409/From-rosemary-extract-to-sugar-syrup-the-new-food-label-nasties.html

Rosemary extract When you see this you’re not looking at an herby aromatic essence, patiently handmade by artisans in Tuscany. In fact, by the time it emerges from its complex extraction process, this brown liquid or powder has no scent or smell of the fresh herb. It is there as an antioxidant (effectively a preservative), to extend the product’s shelf life.

As far as Whole30 is concerned though, we want you to read labels and these "cleaner" ingredients are fine for Whole30. If you choose to pass on them then that's completely your choice.

Archived