joining the community

Crystal Ann

I started on Wednesday for the first time but then opted to join the whole 30 daily which sorta made Wednesday a good warm up day and yesterday my official day one. Totally worth it because the first couple emails have been great and the video clip they sent after completing day one was fantastic and made me laugh out loud. I am sooo excited to feel awesome again. I've had some very similar lifestyle endeavors in the past but this will certainly be the most intense and committed. I know it's the holidays but I want to feel better not worse when the new year rolls around. I'm single, which helps a lot in avoiding the "no" list. My family knows I jump into food endeavors at times that seem most ridiculous...like Christmas time...but they support me rather than discourage. Anyway, interested to see who is involved in this through the holidays since I'm guessing it's not the most popular time.

I am on Day 19 and so far I have survived one kid's birthday party, one holiday party, and three dinners out.  Starting during the holiday season probably isn't the ideal time to start but I have to say I feel really good.  Usually I feel lethargic during the holidays and right now I feel really energized and healthy.  I have a few more holiday parties coming up and I am confident I will make good choices and complete my Whole30.  I recommend drinking Kombucha (check the label to make sure it is Whole30 compliant) or sparkling water in a wine glass with some fresh fruit.  It feels festive and fun.  I have also been eating lots of roasted meat, poultry and veggies.  Having the oven on warms up the house and all the good food I have been making fills the house with a delicious, holiday aroma.  You can do it!!!  Good luck!!

Wow! Thanks Grace! You just painted a lovely picture in my mind of how this can go well and enjoyably.  I appreciate it.

Day 19! Way to go! I have a holiday party tonight. Planning to eat before I go. I think I learned last night one of my hard things is I often dogsit for people and I trained myself to use those opportunities to indulge. Problem is, I dogsit a lot! I try to keep “bad” food out of my house but in reality it’s everywhere else so that only got me so far. I showed up to spend the night with a sweet pup last night and realized my habit is to check for yummy sugary treats and other food delights. Glad I brought food with me!

Thanks for the tips. I enjoy simple things that enhance, so those are good ones! 

I hope you let me know how your upcoming holidays go. You’ve done so much already, I want to hear the day 30 testimonial when you get there!

I have been drinking lots of hot compliant herbal tea, sparkling water and/or Kombucha in the evenings after dinner when my red wine/sugar cravings kick in.  It helps to have my hands occupied.  Maybe you can try that when you dogsit.  I also make sure to eat three times/day following the template and eat well so I feel satisfied after each meal.  My husband is also doing the Whole 30 challenge with me and he needs to eat well at each meal otherwise he is just hungry the whole day.

I was at a healthy weight before I started but I still can feel that my tummy is flatter, my body is more toned and best of all my skin looks better than it has in years.  I am 42 years old and someone I met last night at my work's holiday party thought I was in my late 20s!  It was dark but I'll take the compliment . :) Everyone I have shared the Whole 30 details with have been curious and supportive.  I live in Los Angeles, so it turns out half of the people I tell have done a Whole30 or something similar too.  I also start the conversation with that I can eat braised short ribs and potatoes.

Good luck at your holiday party tonight!!!  Let me know how it goes!

Apparently I forgot to hit submit last night. Ha! Oops. More out of it than I realized. Below is from last night...

I’m exhausted. The party went well but I’m not feeling so good in general. Ready to crash and sleep without an alarm and grateful I can.

what kind of kombucha do you drink? I realize I am in Michigan so no guarantee we have the same options but if we did, it’d be nice. I’m staying away from fizzy drinks since pop is one of my bad psychological friends I turn to under stress. I like the whole reset and changing my relationship to food, so I’m opting to avoid fizzy drinks until I’m done and then maybe bringing fizzy water in instead of reverting to pop. A challenge because my work offers us free pop in every fridge. I like your idea of having something in your hand. I’m that way myself.

Thanks for the reminder to eat three times a day too. I need to be diligent to do that whole 30 or not. And thanks for the details of your progress. A good reminder in this moment of what is ahead even though I’m feeling junkie right now.

Goodnight 

I drink GT Kombucha.  It is made with fermented black tea, raspberry juice, lemon juice and fresh pressed ginger juice.  It has 60 calories per 16 ounce bottle, it tastes very tart and has a lot of probiotics which are good for your gut health.  It definitely has an acquired taste.  You can buy it from Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Costco in California.  Not sure if where they carry it in Michigan.  You are probably better off drinking hot tea to keep you warm.

I am sorry to hear you feel junkie right now!! :( The first week on Whole30 feels crappy.  My husband and I felt like we had a hangover the first week but now we both have finally got to the "Tiger Blood" stage.  We are still having bizarre food dreams.  Last night I dreamt my husband was drinking beer and he dreamt he was stuck at an airport and could only eat peach cobbler. :) The first week I dreamt I ate Snickers bars.  The dreams crack me up. 

One of the hardest part of this for me now is not drinking with people during the Holidays.  My neighbor invited me over for a glass of wine and cheese for later this week and I considered ending my challenge early!  I finally told her my husband and I are doing a 30 day no alcohol challenge.  I am going over on Thursday night which will be Day 25 for me.  Wish me luck!!  Have you tried any new recipes this week?

Thanks. I’ll look into that kind. It actually sounds good to me. Keeping warm in the winter is certainly a priority. I didn’t grow up with winter but for the first time ever I’m excited for it. Good thing too. I’m hearing we are supposed to have a lot of snow this year.

Thanks for the sentiment. I’ve had a horrible headache today. I know I’m hydrated and I had some coffee, so it’s simply tied to detox I guess. Ugh. Glad to know you started feeling better after the first week. I have yet to have food dreams but I’ll let you know if/when I do.

wine and cheese party! That sounds lovely to me as well. But day 25! Don’t sell yourself short! 5/6 of the way through, I mean, ya gotta finish strong at that point!

I actually made homemade mayonnaise for the first time ever so that I could still enjoy chicken salad. Turned out great! I’m currently baking some chicken, potatoes and carrots in a 9x13 pan with olive oil and rosemary. I like simple food so hoping this simple five ingredient quick prep meal turns out. Food prep is historically my downfall because I don’t like doing it...mostly because I don’t like cleaning up after. So, I made it my goal to do food prep every third day for 3 days worth of ready to eat food and then having some easy stuff available for when I have a few more minutes. Do you have any easy go to meals you enjoy?

I almost gave up today but I stayed strong.  Yay Day 22!  I hosted a holiday party today and of course my guests brought me good wine, homemade chocolate chip cookies and a homemade cake. :)  But luckily I made roasted pulled pork & roasted veggies and one of my friends brought a delicious endive, radicchio, walnut salad with a compliant vinaigrette.  By the end of the party half my guests were interested in trying Whole30 after the holidays.  :) 

The roasted pulled pork is so yummy & worth making because you can eat it for a few days:

https://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/ 

I just made it in the oven in a cast iron skillet and left out the jalapeño & chili powder so my kids would it eat.   I like simple food too and you can basically roast anything with olive oil, salt & pepper and it will taste good.  I like simple pan fried salmon & asparagus with homemade lemon mayo.  You also can't go wrong with a perfectly cooked rib-eye steak, broccolini & roasted fingerling potatoes.  I really like the recipes in this Whole30 book because they are super simple and really good:

https://whole30.com/whole30book

Way to be! Only 8 days left! You can do anything for 8 days! (maybe not anything, but most things, and definitely this!) Hosting a party...that was definitely a courageous idea in the midst of this challenge. Homemade chocolate chip cookies! Oh! I keep hoping a coworker who makes the best ones ever does not show up in the office with any. That would be a difficult no for me...although after feeling so sick all weekend, I'm reaching that point of...I didn't go through that crappy weekend for nothing! Game on! Your food alternatives sound lovely for saying no to wine and cookies, though I may never have thought I'd ever say the phrase "saying no to wine and cookies." Ha!

Thanks for the food ideas! They do sound delicious. I like that your guests started to consider the whole30. The more I talk about it with people the more they lean toward wanting to try it. I don't sugar coat it though. Sugars not allowed! They know I've felt worse the last couple days so I think they are waiting to see me hit the sweet spot to experience a more sold state.

Did you get headaches at all during the beginning? I had a massive one all day yesterday and it's sorta back today. Not sure what to do other than wait it out. I've been drinking plenty of water to ensure it's not from dehydration and having some coffee to make sure it's not sudden lack of caffeine. No effect. I took a hot bath near the end of the day to warm up and relax and it did make me feel better about the whole situation if not actually better.

Hope day 23 rocks for you!

Hi! Support is good. I definitely support this kind of crazy too! I mean, we are on the same train. Way to start again and not just toss it to the side until next year. I want to go into 2018 feeling good. Definitely not what I did last year. I'd love to chat with you along the way! I'm on day 6 and my headache is killer. It faded some after I took an Epsom salt bath last night and I'm using peppermint oil on my temples right now. Not all gone, but definitely helping.

I am so excited to feel better than I've felt in years...maybe ever! I am eager to find out what it will feel like to get to the other side. I actually made a wager with friends to help me keep to my commitment. It kept me from eating a spoonful of strawberry jam yesterday to ease my symptoms. If I stick to it, they are going to split the cost of my dinner at a restaurant I have yet to go to but have wanted to for a long time. If I quit, I have to buy all their dinners. The difference between a free meal and easily spending a couple hundred dollars.

Maybe you should splurge the 15 dollars it costs to sign up for the daily emails too. I went ahead and did that because of the time of year it is and I figured I could use the extra boost and reminders of why this is a great choice and worth seeing through to the end. So far I am loving them and the video clip they sent me to after completing the first day and clicking on the, I did it, button is one I've gone back to as well. I have printed off snippets out of some of these and the rules and posted them in different locations as well. I have a written list of goals for these 30 days I look at to remind me what I'm really trying to accomplish and get to.  Just some ideas to give you a boost through the holidays.

Let me know how your fresh start goes. :-)

I'm thinking about starting my very first one next Monday! Gives me a week to prepare mentally...I already eat mostly healthy (like 85% Paleo) but have been dying to complete a Whole30 in order to finally slay this sugar dragon. Congratulations for deciding to complete one during the holidays!

A newbie.

I did Day 1 today. It's good to hear others committing to the Whole 30 over the holidays.

I have reinvented my life in another state of Australia to be with my sisters and help support my mother with Alzheimer's. After watching Melissa's clip on Stress & Cravings, I'm now owning that I'm stressed and instead of further adding to my stress by making myself bad and wrong for not being able to stick to the Whole 30, I'm doing something different and joining this forum.

I have done the Whole 30 once before, about 3 years ago and it totally cleared my skin. I've since been slowly falling back into old habits and had skin rashes and an inflamed hip joint. About one month ago I started Whole 30 again and again and again and again. Sheesh.  Even though I haven't successfully completed the Whole 30 this time round (yet), my skin rash has cleared and hip inflammation has eased considerably.

ShellN! Glad to have you with the holiday healthies! We will start the new year feeling so much improved. Every start in the last month mattered...clearly, since your skin and hip have improved. That must feel so great! I'm impressed you kept restarting! Changing a lifestyle is bound to have less fantastic seasons but each time we can do better. The first time I saw a nutritionist and got my eating habits adjusted I lasted 3 months (not as strict as whole30) before I caved and ended up in a bad way, but he reminded me that changing my whole life is a big deal and 3 months was a great start...next round I could go 4 or 6. I remember that sometimes as I'm moving forward to not just look at my failures but at the overall progress and change my life has made over time. My "bad" is not as bad as it once was and my good streaks come much more fluid. I've never done such a strong reset as this and I'm really excited to see the results and how much differently I relate to food at the end.

I haven't seen that clip on stress and cravings but so far everything I read is pretty inspiring and excuse stripping. Look forward to hearing your progress with us now. Maybe you can offer us some tips that helped you through your first one you did complete.

I'm on Day 6 today and started because my eating has gotten out of control since mid-October! I'm pregnant and while I haven't had specific cravings/aversions, I started becoming ravenous during the second trimester. Then the holidays rolled around. I'm purposefully doing this over holidays to give myself a reason to not eat goodies that show up at the office, not drink cartons of egg nog (yes I was drinking a pasteurized brand), and not bake myself holiday paleo goodies that I polish off in two days. Gotta finish this pregnancy healthy and strong, not tired and eating too much sugar! 

So far I have felt fine, although having more cravings and feeling more tired today and yesterday than in the beginning. I'm planning to go to sleep early tonight, and I also stopped drinking coffee today which is a goal for the rest of pregnancy. 

You go Amy! I’d feel tired too if I gave up coffee, even not being pregnant. High five on being intentional right now through the holidays and wanting to finish strong. Days 5 and 6 were the WORST for me so feeling tired on day 6 seems pretty legit to me. Today was my day 8 and I feel awesome compared to those days and excited to feel even better. A coworker told me today they think my skin looks healthier. I’ll take it! 

GraceMelodie, is tomorrow the wine and cheese party you mentioned before? Wanted to wish you well on holding strong. 5 more days after the party. You got this! Then you could always throw your own wine and cheese party for the new year. You hold true to your current commitment to yourself and party after! Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the festivities with your friends. It’s a fun time of year to get together. :-)

Yes it is Crystal Ann!  I am staying strong & ready to finish my Whole30 on a high note.  Thank you for the encouragement!! 

Amy, way to go with giving up coffee!  I gave it up during both my pregnancies & drank chicory root fake coffee instead.  Smelling chicory root now makes me nauseous because I associate with the first trimester of pregnancy.  You are better off drinking lots of herbal tea.  Being pregnant is a great reason to sleep all you can!!

I had a great Day 24 today and ate really well: 

1. Breakfast: Fried eggs, sautéed baby greens & coffee w/almond milk 

2. Lunch: A plain Poke bowl with kale, red snapper, raw veggies, chili oil & lemon for lunch (I asked so many questions at the restaurant that I annoyed myself but luckily they were very accommodating)

3. Snack: Kombucha, oil cured olives & almonds (I was super hungry because my lunch was too light!!)

4. Dinner: Seared cod w/ homemade lemon mayo, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted butternut squash, & salad (romaine, carrot & orange peppers)  w/ vinaigrette.

The temperature just dropped to 55 degrees in L.A. today (finally it is cold here!) so tomorrow I am planning on making a pot roast with new potatoes, carrots & onions.  Yum! 

On 12/19/2017 at 2:15 AM, ShellN said:

I have reinvented my life in another state of Australia to be with my sisters and help support my mother with Alzheimer's. After watching Melissa's clip on Stress & Cravings, I'm now owning that I'm stressed and instead of further adding to my stress by making myself bad and wrong for not being able to stick to the Whole 30, I'm doing something different and joining this forum.

ShellN, like you, at one time I did the same, re-arranged my whole life to take care of my mother with Alzheimer's. It was a life changing experience for me that I wouldn't trade for anything. Something kicked in like a survival instinct, and I raised the bar of my self care. Instead of making it harder, it made it so much easier. (I hadn't heard of W30 yet or even Paleo [I'm late to the party] but it was trail-running and eating well in my own way at that time.) So I salute you, and celebrate you, and understand that the patience and loving presence I had available for my mother was proportional to my self care. It also gave me a feeling of legacy, because now that she is on the other side, I feel that the habit of self care is part of what I learned as a result, from her, though indirectly from her, it is full of meaning for me. I wish you all the best, and encourage you to continue seeking out support in your caregiving journey, here on this forum, and elsewhere, like a caregiving support group if you have one in your area. 

By taking care of ourselves, we have the energy to better take care of others.  One of the unexpected side effects of embarking on a Whole30 has been more patience with my husband and two young children.  My mood is more stable and I have more energy to play with my kids which equates to a happier & calmer home.  Another unexpected side effect is that I am feeling more amorous towards my husband, so he has been in a much better mood this last month. :) 

Change is definitely stressful and by eating well & taking care of ourselves, we can calm a lot of that stress.  I wish you all the best in this journey!

Archived