Day 19: still look pregnant + not pooping

aeh*

Hello moderators and fellow W30ers,

Heads-up: this is a long post because I want to be thorough so I can get to the bottom of this. ;)

I decided to do W30 as a much needed and desired reset. Generally, my diet is healthy-ish, and I'm pretty active. But since October, I had been making some bad food choices in response to stress-induced cravings: eating more cookies, and drinking more alcoholic beverages. Near the end of November, I turned 39, and didn't feel so hot. I determined that when I turn 40, I will feel and look better than I ever have. I started W30 on 11/27/2017.

I'm now on Day 19, experiencing some positive changes: my sinuses are less congested; my muscles and joints feel a little less "congested" or inflamed; my body composition has changed slightly (my clothes fit a little better, my muscles are a little more visible/defined); I'm getting better sleep more consistently; and I have sustained energy levels throughout the day, but I'm tired (good tired) and actually want to go to bed at bedtime.

Some changes I anticipated are not happening: I still wake up tired (after ~8 hours of sleep), and have dark circles and puffiness under my eyes; I hoped for more difference in my body composition; my digestion is poor (I've had five bowel movements in 19 days, only one of which was satisfying / felt "complete"); and my lower abdomen is still round and protruding (I could convince an observer that I'm three months pregnant — I am definitely not pregnant), and it seems this must be connected to my poor digestion.

Here's the main concern I'm writing about: I would like to have bowel movements on a daily basis, and, if possible and reasonable, I would like my abdomen to deflate.

More info that might be relevant: I had a little stinky gas on Days 15 and 18, otherwise, none during my W30 so far. And I have a history of not pooping regularly. When not on W30, I take 500mg of triphala (an Ayurvedic blend of three fruits that aids digestion). It helps. But I stopped taking triphala for W30 because one of the tablets' two other ingredients is "organic rice flour" (noncompliant, right?).

I read several threads in the W30 forum on bowel movements and constipation, and followed moderators' oft-given recommendation to add magnesium. On Day 17, I started taking 400mg of magnesium (in compliant tablet form) in the evening. Day 18: no BM; a little stinky gas in the late evening. Day 19: small, slightly burning BM soon after getting out of bed; and now a little stinky gas. 

Here's my W30 routine:

Wake at 6am, asleep by 10pm. I drink ~70 ounces of water daily, plus an occasional (complaint) sparkling water, sparkling coconut water, or kombucha.

M1 (within 60-90 minutes of rising): two eggs (I've tried three, it makes me feel kinda sick to my stomach) fried in ghee or bacon fat; kale (2-3 cups, sautéed in ghee or bacon fat with garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes), half of an avocado, 1/8 cup compliant red salsa. (Sometimes, for variety, I make an omelette equivalent, and replace the avocado with homemade chipotle mayo.) Three or four days a week, depending on how I feel after the egg entrée, I will also have a small green apple, sliced, with ~2tbsp NuttZo butter. Also: half-caf coffee, black.

M2 (at noon or 12:30pm): salad made of one can of tuna or salmon (this is a palm+ portion for me); small handful of cherry tomatoes; half of an avocado; 4-5 cups of mixed lettuces/greens; dressing of olive oil and vinegar and salt. OR chicken tikka masala (palm+ amount of the chicken, plus its accompanying sauce of tomato purée, coconut milk, garlic, ginger, salt, dried/ground spices) with 1 handful of spinach wilted in, and ~3/4 cup cauliflower rice.

M3 (somewhere between 6:30 and 7:30pm): basically, the inverse of lunch — if I had a cold salad, I'll have something warm/cooked, or vice versa. This week, I truly enjoyed: palm+ amount of ground beef (seasoned per Melissa Joulwan's recipe for plantain nachos); mixed with salad of ~3 cups Romain lettuce or mixed salad greens; half a tomato; half of an avocado; dressing of olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and cumin; with a side of 1/4 cup of roasted plantains and guac.

Occasionally: I have five or so olives as an appetizer while I'm prepping a meal, or add a roasted sweet potato (1/6 - 1/4 of a potato) to lunch or dinner.

Pre-WO: nothing or a hard-boiled egg, depending on what my workout will entail, and how I feel.

Post-WO meal: hard-boiled egg. I was adding a sweet potato wedge, but stopped when I learned I don't need it, based on the Hartwigs' Carb Curve. 

My workouts/exercise: high-intensity active resistance training (1x/week); mid-intensity walk/run/sprint intervals for 20-30 minutes (2x week); low intensity walk to/from work totals 25 minutes (4x/week). 

Any recommendations for relieving my infrequent and unsatisfying pooping pattern, and my round/bloated lower abdomen, are most welcome!

aeh*

• Moderators

Your meals actually look okay for the most part so there are some other things you can try... the bloat is probably from the back up in your GI tract but it could be from the raw veggies you eat so I would remove the salads for now and replace with cooked veggies.  Stay away from crucifers (cabbage, broc, cauliflower) for a bit and see if that helps too.

Your M1 is a bit small at only two eggs so if you can't eat more eggs, try adding some leftover protein to bump that first meal up to template size.

Have you tried a supplement like Natural Calm to help your bowel movements?  Magnesium helps to draw water into the GI tract, thereby helping with bowel movements... even if it doesn't work, due to modern farming practice, most of the world is magnesium deficient anyway because our soil is so depleted.  The unflavored Natural Calm is whole30 compliant.  You can also get magnesium dermally by soaking in an epsom salt bath (really load up the water... google research will help here).

Do you historically have problems with BM's or is this brand new?  Do you feel constipated or do you feel that there's just nothing in there to pass?

Thanks SugarcubeOD.

From my first post (I know, there was a lot of it): I had a little stinky gas on Days 15 and 18, otherwise, none during my W30 so far. And I have a history of not pooping regularly. When not on W30, I take 500mg of triphala (an Ayurvedic blend of three fruits that aids digestion). It helps. But I stopped taking triphala for W30 because one of the tablets' two other ingredients is "organic rice flour" (noncompliant, right?). I read several threads in the W30 forum on bowel movements and constipation, and followed moderators' oft-given recommendation to add magnesium. On Day 17, I started taking 400mg of magnesium (in compliant tablet form) in the evening. Day 18 (yesterday): no BM; a little stinky gas in the late evening. Day 19 (today): small, slightly burning BM soon after getting out of bed; and now a little stinky gas. 

To answer your question: I don't feel constipated as much as I feel there's nothing to pass (but how can there not be with all I'm eating?!?).

Is the capsule form of magnesium all right? I opted for that over Natural Calm because I'd rather not drink a fizzy drink before bed every night (but if it's better than the capsule form, I'll do it.)

Additionally, I'll add additional protein at breakfast, and change raw veggies for cooked (avoiding the cruciferous ones).

Thank you!

aeh*

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, aeh* said:

Thanks SugarcubeOD.

From my first post (I know, there was a lot of it): I had a little stinky gas on Days 15 and 18, otherwise, none during my W30 so far. And I have a history of not pooping regularly. When not on W30, I take 500mg of triphala (an Ayurvedic blend of three fruits that aids digestion). It helps. But I stopped taking triphala for W30 because one of the tablets' two other ingredients is "organic rice flour" (noncompliant, right?). I read several threads in the W30 forum on bowel movements and constipation, and followed moderators' oft-given recommendation to add magnesium. On Day 17, I started taking 400mg of magnesium (in compliant tablet form) in the evening. Day 18 (yesterday): no BM; a little stinky gas in the late evening. Day 19 (today): small, slightly burning BM soon after getting out of bed; and now a little stinky gas. 

To answer your question: I don't feel constipated as much as I feel there's nothing to pass (but how can there not be with all I'm eating?!?).

Is the capsule form of magnesium all right? I opted for that over Natural Calm because I'd rather not drink a fizzy drink before bed every night (but if it's better than the capsule form, I'll do it.)

Additionally, I'll add additional protein at breakfast, and change raw veggies for cooked (avoiding the cruciferous ones).

Thank you!

aeh*

I would go for the powdered natural calm... I don't know about the capsules but I know for SURE the natural calm works (too well if you take too much).  It's not really 'fizzy' like drinking a club soda... it's just a bit effervescent... 

I would honestly take this concern (and the historical concern of not going regularly) to the doctor and see if they have anything to say.  While there is a wide range of 'normal' when it comes to digestion, not pooping for days on end is not normal and in fact not healthy... 

See how you do with the removal of the raw veggies (but make sure you really eat a good volume of cooked veggies as that's what helps things move through your digestive tract) and the addition of the powdered natural calm and check back in.  Goodl uck!

Thank you for being so detailed with your issue! The one thing that stood out to me immediately was the avocado. I know it can be such an important ingredient during a Whole30, but I had to cut them completely out of my diet a few months ago because of all the GI distress they were causing, which cleared up about a week later. For years I was able to eat them without issues, but all of a sudden severe gas a bloating came on out of nowhere! I would suggest cutting them out for a while to see what happens. You can always add them back in to see if you can deal with a small amount each day.

Hope this helps!

Archived