Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tthomasson

Coconut milk substitute?

Whole30 newbie here and I'm reading my book and prepping for the big day. I noticed a LOT of recipes call for coconut milk and oil. I'm not a huge fan of coconut. As in I've often said if the last food in earth was coconut I'm done. Any substitutes out there for coconut milk on the whole30? When I need the oil I figure I can use ghee but the liquid is a different situation. Thanks!

It's going to depend on the recipe, but if you're just using some coconut milk to thin something -- like a soup -- you can probably use a nut milk like almond milk or cashew milk. Just read your ingredients and make sure there's nothing off-plan in them, or make them yourself. They will probably be thinner than canned coconut milk, so you may not need as much. In some recipes, you might be able to skip the coconut milk and just have a thicker food (this works for some ranch dressing recipes, for instance -- they can basically be mayo with herbs, and some people use coconut milk to help thin them, but you could just have a really thick dressing instead, or add a little extra vinegar if you don't mind the flavor). Sometimes you might even be able to use water or broth. Again, it's really going to depend on the recipe. If there's a specific thing you want to make, you can always google Whole30 + the recipe name + no coconut and see if you can find recipes that someone else has already tested. Coconut allergies and just general dislike of coconut are both pretty common, so with a little extra searching,  you can probably find recipes without them for most things.

For the oil, there is refined coconut oil that won't have the smell or taste of coconut that would be fine to use, if you should need another option, though ghee or sometimes olive oil can work just fine too.