Day 31 and beyond

Clynn423

• Administrators

HI @Clynn423 - I highly recommend you take a look through the resources available on the Whole30.com website to familiarize yourself with the program. There is a track there for reintroduction which discusses how you go about reintroducing the foods you eliminated on the program.

• 1 month later...

@ladyshanny I've been looking through a lot of the forums and I notice you tend to respond a lot and seem to know what you are talking about!  I've been dealing with IBS issues for 8-10 years so I decided to give Whole 30 a shot!  For the most part I've felt decent, a lot more decent than I normally do.  I've definitely been gassy & bloated at times, and constipated and miserable at times but for the most part I've felt good and my stomach has held up which is great.  It did freak out once - and I noticed that it was the week I was eating a lot of red meat and almonds.  So here's my question:

How do I go about testing those foods again?  Same way I do for all the other re-introductions?  And with those, do I have to eat a little bit of legumes at breakfast, lunch & dinner or can I just eat some during one meal to test them out?  I'm not sure I want to eat red meat for breakfast, lunch & dinner but I could to try it... same goes with almonds.

I could really use some advice - I don't want to mess up everything I've worked so hard to do!  And if I don't feel great tomorrow (Day 31) - do you recommend delaying the start until I do??

Thank you!!!

• Administrators

@Risa_Castro - Hi there,

For anything you reintroduce, you want to make sure to eat enough of it to actually garner a reaction if there is going to be one which is why we say at all three meals to have the item. For something to bother your IBS, I imagine that it would be more of a "threshold" issue. For example, maybe you could eat red meat once a week with no issues but by the time you have it every day for a week you have trouble.

If you have the time and the desire, I would probably stay on Whole30 for a while and systematically add things back. So red meat a couple times a day for 3-4 days. And then go back on Whole30 for at least 2 days or until you're feeling great again (if you had any issues). Then move on to the next item. Because IBS can be so debilitating, in my opinion, going through the testing as slowly as you can is going to give you your best results. Especially because you could test red meat and then 3 days later test almonds and 2 days later test dairy and because your system is somewhat compromised, it could just all add up to a flare up.

@ladyshanny  Thank you so much for your response - the "threshold" issue is exactly what I've been thinking it is (could be) as well simply because I really have not been able to pinpoint what it could be in the last 10 years!  I am in no rush and have no desire to put back things that are going to mess with me and I really enjoy eating this way, the way I'm feeling and being able to live a "normal" life. 

My only real issue in the past 2 weeks or so is dealing with constipation - which I never have before so I don't really know what to do.  Any tips?  I drink a TON of water, I upped my fiber intake,  I drink coffee in the mornings.  I'm not really sure what else to do.

I intend to try out red meat & almonds - probably not dairy because I already know it really messes with me.  I'm fine taking my time and re-introducing things in the way you have suggested.  I will make sure I'm feeling great before testing something new out.  I just need to figure out how to deal with this constipation issue!

Archived