Always hungry fiancee & on a budget

melissajoy89

My fiancee and I are doing a second Whole30 in January. Our first one was in October and we did very well. We are getting closer to our wedding so saving money has also become a priority. We spend a good chunk on food because we believe that fueling our bodies is important, and I've been primarily been doing the bulk of our meal prep. I'm not sure what to suggest to him to bulk up his meals. He's planning to be doing P90x workout again through this round. I do think he's been relying to much on bars to get him through on the go situations and this is making him hungrier. Sometimes his job doesn't allow him to eat on schedule which he thrives on and does so much better if he can eat throughout the day. His typical meal looks a little like this:

7am Breakfast - eggs or egg whites with ground turkey and veggies 

10am-11am - salad topped with veggies maybe some turkey meat and dressing or salsa (I'm thinking he should add some fat here like avocado, egg, ranch) 

12pm-1pm - lunch - a serving of a Whole30 meal that I've prepped. (Also wondering if he needs to bulk up protein or maybe veggies just to take up space.)

3pm - heads home to workout I think usually eats a larabar (Also think he should add more protein here)

Works out and maybe eats a post workout meal. I'm thinking that he should be more diligent to eat this right away 

5pm-6pm - eats dinner again usually a serving of a Whole30 meal that I've prepped

7pm-10pm - usually says he's hungry and eats more of something. Seems to feel extremely hungry regularly. 

So I'm thinking the major flaw here is the lack of a regular post workout meal to help satisfy him after his intense workouts. He hates sweet potatoes with a passion and has been eating white potatoes like they are going out of style as well as tons of meat. I'm not sure what the best combo is for him especially affordable emergency food. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, melissajoy89 said:

My fiancee and I are doing a second Whole30 in January. Our first one was in October and we did very well. We are getting closer to our wedding so saving money has also become a priority. We spend a good chunk on food because we believe that fueling our bodies is important, and I've been primarily been doing the bulk of our meal prep. I'm not sure what to suggest to him to bulk up his meals. He's planning to be doing P90x workout again through this round. I do think he's been relying to much on bars to get him through on the go situations and this is making him hungrier. Sometimes his job doesn't allow him to eat on schedule which he thrives on and does so much better if he can eat throughout the day. His typical meal looks a little like this:

7am Breakfast - eggs or egg whites with ground turkey and veggies 

10am-11am - salad topped with veggies maybe some turkey meat and dressing or salsa (I'm thinking he should add some fat here like avocado, egg, ranch) 

12pm-1pm - lunch - a serving of a Whole30 meal that I've prepped. (Also wondering if he needs to bulk up protein or maybe veggies just to take up space.)

3pm - heads home to workout I think usually eats a larabar (Also think he should add more protein here)

Works out and maybe eats a post workout meal. I'm thinking that he should be more diligent to eat this right away 

5pm-6pm - eats dinner again usually a serving of a Whole30 meal that I've prepped

7pm-10pm - usually says he's hungry and eats more of something. Seems to feel extremely hungry regularly. 

So I'm thinking the major flaw here is the lack of a regular post workout meal to help satisfy him after his intense workouts. He hates sweet potatoes with a passion and has been eating white potatoes like they are going out of style as well as tons of meat. I'm not sure what the best combo is for him especially affordable emergency food. Any help would be appreciated. 

You would need to add more fat to all his meals including the ones where there is none, such as breakfast.  Also, eat the whole egg, not just the whites... and as many as HE can hold in one hand without dropping is his serving size so make sure you're using his metrics for meal portions.

Pre workout is protein and fat so no larabar (which are only for emergencies only and working out every day is not an emergency).

Post work out he should absolutely be eating in addition to his other three meals and pre work out and that's recommended as lean protein and starchy carbs.

I agree and I think I've gotten him to begin adding more fats! We discovered he can fit 6 eggs in his hand! I think I've convinced him to also stop eating larabars pre workout and will be making him hard boiled eggs and chicken to eat and we have lots of nuts around! Thanks for the help! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived