Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time Whole30-er, starting day 3! One thing I've found myself already doing was eating eggs with every meal (it's so easy, and I love eggs). Is there a number that is too much? Especially given that I'll be eating like this for the whole month...?

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Crystalx said:

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time Whole30-er, starting day 3! One thing I've found myself already doing was eating eggs with every meal (it's so easy, and I love eggs). Is there a number that is too much? Especially given that I'll be eating like this for the whole month...?

Nope, there's no egg limit. People can sometimes give themselves a sensitivity to a food if they all of a sudden start eating way more of it than they used to so watch for that. And of course it's good to get some variety in your proteins if you can but if not, eggs are fine!

2 hours ago, Mousey14 said:

I made Chicken Piccata over zucchini noodles for dinner last night...holy cow, it's my new favorite!  SOOOO savory and delicious!  Happy Day 3, all!

https://www.noshtastic.com/easy-chicken-piccata/

Great idea with the zoodles.  On day 1 I was not quite prepared and had to make dinner for the hubs too - and chicken piccata is always quick and easy - i just winged it with compliant flour.  But nice to have a recipe and idea for side for next time.  Happy day 3 everyone!

3 hours ago, JohannaE said:

I want a freezer full of fresh caught salmon! I never knew you could bake frozen! Do you just cook longer? Or different temp?

I bake frozen salmon at 425 for 15 minutes or until it flakes.  I cook mine uncovered but you could cover with foil and bake for 8 minutes then uncover for another 8 to 10 minutes. :)

On 12/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, Framed Cooks said:

Hi all!  This will be my 6th Whole 30 - I did it the first time because I am a life-long migraine sufferer, and it has cut my migraines down by about 90% (a true miracle/life-changer!) - and of course it is nice to lose a few pounds along the way.  Would love to follow along/swap recipes/share encouragement with anyone else kicking off the New Year with a W30.  Here's our Day One dinner - I always kick off W30 with this easy one, and I  make a double portion for lunches the next week! In the meantime - happy merry everything!

Made this for dinner for day 1.  It was delicious!  Thank you for sharing your recipes :)

It took 4 tries but my homemade mayo finally came out. I only had regular EVOO on hand so it's a little strong but after all the hard work I'm going to eat it up. :P

Dinner last night was almond encrusted cod topped with avacado and homemade salsa. I served it up with steamed sugar snap peas, roasted sweet potatoes with kale, and a clementine. So breakfast was leftover cod over mixed greens with pomegranate, veggies,  and homemade ranch dressing made with my mayo. VICTORY! ;)

34 minutes ago, MaineacMom said:

It took 4 tries but my homemade mayo finally came out. I only had regular EVOO on hand so it's a little strong but after all the hard work I'm going to eat it up. :P

Dinner last night was almond encrusted cod topped with avacado and homemade salsa. I served it up with steamed sugar snap peas, roasted sweet potatoes with kale, and a clementine. So breakfast was leftover cod over mixed greens with pomegranate, veggies,  and homemade ranch dressing made with my mayo. VICTORY! ;)

Try with Extra Light Tasting olive oil - it will be so much better!!

Just curious - what did you do with the failed batches? There's a way to fix it in case that happens again - just dump out the soupy mess into a vessel with a spout, add an egg to your blending vessel and drizzle the soupy mixture slowly until it starts to come together!

12 hours ago, jessicaclaire182 said:

Also, I’ve been eating plenty of compliant foods, but my stomach keeps growling. Even if I’m not hungry! Is that part normal?

Might just be digestion noises - but if you are hungry between meals eat a mini-meal (following the template but smaller portions) as a snack and then up the amount of food you're eating at the next meal until you can get to 4-5 hours between eating without feeling hungry. Are you having enough fat with your meals?

1 hour ago, Kathy from Texas said:

Made this for dinner for day 1.  It was delicious!  Thank you for sharing your recipes :)

@Framed Cooks - I also made your recipe last night! It really is delicious and so easy to do - thank you!  I'm now sipping chicken bone broth in a mug after eating a huge avocado and some cherry tomatoes drizzled with olive oil for breakfast.  I'm not much of a cook and found Trader Joe's organic chicken bone broth which is compliant but does need seasoning since it's a little bland.  Any other recipes for one-pot, one sheet pan cooking are definitely what I need.  Cherry tomatoes are OK, right?

I'm not hungry all the time but I am definitely craving wine and cheese! Anyone else?

@cescaw Sorry to hear you had a bumpy day two, I hope your day three is going better!  Did you like the stuffed peppers?  I have been contemplating making that recipe, but am worried it won't turn out as good as the typical stuffed peppers with rice and cheese!

@dianne m - I agree with you, and definitely recommend the new "day by day" book - there are pages to reflect on the day and how you have been feeling etc. and the motivational tidbits, FAQs, etc. are very helpful!  I like to read a section in the morning and at night before I go to  sleep; it's a nice way to start and end the day!

Day 3!  

I was finally able to make a breakfast that took me to lunch - after needing a snack on day one I tried upping my fats on day two and when that didn't work, I thought I would try adding a starchy vegetable (along with the extra fat) this morning.  I ended up eating an egg scramble with sausage, peppers, spinach, and tomatoes and filled my plate with spaghetti squash topped with roasted tomatoes and olive oil; on the side I had about a fistful of berries topped with LOTS of coconut flakes.  For lunch, I had spaghetti squash topped with ground chicken and veggies in a homemade tomato sauce.  I also added a bit of avocado oil to the spaghetti squash and olives for some extra fat.  

Haven't quite decided on meal 3, but am thinking of doing chicken, salad and potatoes, with an oil based, red pepper dressing/sauce.

Pre-workout will be a hardboiled egg and either coconut flakes or olives.  I am having trouble fitting in a post wo meal because I am unable to work out until the evening...I know the plan says we are supposed to have an extra mini-meal of protein and starchy veg after working out, but I find it's too much to eat given that I eat dinner so soon thereafter - although, as I write this am thinking that perhaps this is why I have been so hungry in the mornings...

Hope everyone is having a good day!

3 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

I bake frozen salmon at 425 for 15 minutes or until it flakes.  I cook mine uncovered but you could cover with foil and bake for 8 minutes then uncover for another 8 to 10 minutes. :)

You should always add fresh grated ginger to the top before baking in my opinion. Freezer full of salmon and halibut is the only way to go..

17 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry, this is actually against the rules... it's called SWYPO (sex with your pants on) and making sweet luxurious coffee creamers out of a bunch of random ingredients and a pinch of magic is not on... try finding Nutpods or Califia creamers if you want something in your coffee but the banana thing has to go, sorry.

@SugarcubeOD Are there certain Califia creamers that meet the Whole30 guidelines?  It looks ike I can buy those here in town but I haven't been able to find Nutpods except online.  

17 hours ago, Garden Gal said:

I just can’t make myself eat in the mornings. 

I feel you. Breakfast is still the hardest for me. Like the mods say, it is a hormonal thing and in my experience, once I actually start feeling hungry in the morning, it gets a lot easier to make myself eat.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Kathy from Texas said:

@SugarcubeOD Are there certain Califia creamers that meet the Whole30 guidelines?  It looks ike I can buy those here in town but I haven't been able to find Nutpods except online.  

You'd have to read the ingredients on them because they have ones that are and are not... not sure what's available in your area...

6 hours ago, Mousey14 said:

I made Chicken Piccata over zucchini noodles for dinner last night...holy cow, it's my new favorite!  SOOOO savory and delicious!  Happy Day 3, all!

https://www.noshtastic.com/easy-chicken-piccata/

Chicken Piccata.jpg

Looks amazing!! They have this recipe too in the fast and easy cookbook with pork...but I made it with chicken and it was ridiculous!!! One of my faves for sure.

2 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

@Framed Cooks - I also made your recipe last night! It really is delicious and so easy to do - thank you!  I'm now sipping chicken bone broth in a mug after eating a huge avocado and some cherry tomatoes drizzled with olive oil for breakfast.  I'm not much of a cook and found Trader Joe's organic chicken bone broth which is compliant but does need seasoning since it's a little bland.  Any other recipes for one-pot, one sheet pan cooking are definitely what I need.  Cherry tomatoes are OK, right?

I'm not hungry all the time but I am definitely craving wine and cheese! Anyone else?

I'm so glad you liked it!  I'm going to try and post as many recipes as I can on this forum - about to post the next one now.  And yes!  Cherry tomatoes totally okay!

21 hours ago, Garden Gal said:

I like a little coffee with my creamer. Since that is out, I tried hot tea yesterday morning. I didn’t like that, so this morning, I sipped on som bone broth. Yum!  I’ll be doing that again. I’m having to fight through caffeine withdrawal, but it isn’t as bad as it has been in the past. Last night, I cooked a pork chop dish out of Fast & Easy. It was very good. Also, I made the Broccoli and Kale Soup out of that book and added roasted jalapeños!  Another winner!  What have y’all been cooking? 

You may want to slowly wean yourself off the coffee, if you're going to, so you don't get killer headaches.

19 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

Ok, so I would REALLY like a glass of wine. But, I am sipping cinnamon tea and checking in with you guys instead. Last night I made the biggest batch of unstuffed cabbage rolls...counting on it for lunch today. My fridge is still full of holiday leftovers that I can’t eat...and my kids ate all the leftover unstuffed cabbage, so I had to scramble for lunch. I ended up with turkey breast wrapped around carrots and dipped in guacamole. 

So, tonight I made my single serving of leftovers for lunch tomorrow before I even served dinner and hid them in the back of the fridge. They think there are none. I made a ton of spaghetti squash tonight. Topped it with browned house-made Italian sausage and sun dried tomatoes and pesto. It was colorful and delicious. We have a ton of leftover spaghetti squash which will return as hashbrown patties for breakfast with some eggs and a little prosciutto. 

do you have a link for the unstuffed cabbage rolls recipe?  thx!

Happy day 3, everyone! Going ok overall, but three days in a row I have been hungry between lunch and dinner. Here is my typical schedule:

9 am - breakfast

noon - workout (I haven't been eating a snack before this, because I ate a meal 3 hours before)

1 pm - lunch

6:30pm - dinner

Every day by 4 I am famished. I think I am eating enough for lunch. Today I had a salad (dressed with olive oil) w/ half an avocado and spaghetti squash w/shrimp, onions, and marinara sauce).

I've been having a hardboiled egg or two around 4-5 to make it through, but am trying to embrace the "no snacking" recommendation. Any suggestions?

THANKS TEAM - WE'VE GOT THIS! 

Archived