Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

20 hours ago, thewholeamy said:

Day 2 down! We had snow here for the first time in forever, so I was cooped up all day. Breakfast was an egg muffin and some sweet potato fries. Lunch was a tuna salad and dinner was another salad with roasted chicken thighs. I need to get back to the gym once the weather clears up.

What do you guys do for exercise?

I run. I was doing kettlebells for awhile but got lazy but I plan on bringing that back into my routine. 

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I would share my lunch as it was pretty tasty.

Made a slaw from TJs broccoli slaw mix and used a few tbs of mayo mixed with the juice of 1/2 lemon and orange. Marinated some shrimp with the juice from the remaining lemon and orange then seared it in a pan with a little avocado oil. Let the shrimp cool then served it on a bed of the slaw, added a little avocado and a few slices of mango. It was AMAZING!

Now I just need to figure out what the heck Im doing for dinner....

Happy Thursday!
I had to eat my lunch in two phases today because of my work schedule -- oh well.
The good news is that I went out to play bar trivia with friends last night after dinner and wasn't even hungry -- just had club soda and was fine.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Melanie S said:

Happy day 3, everyone! Going ok overall, but three days in a row I have been hungry between lunch and dinner. Here is my typical schedule:

9 am - breakfast

noon - workout (I haven't been eating a snack before this, because I ate a meal 3 hours before)

1 pm - lunch

6:30pm - dinner

Every day by 4 I am famished. I think I am eating enough for lunch. Today I had a salad (dressed with olive oil) w/ half an avocado and spaghetti squash w/shrimp, onions, and marinara sauce).

I've been having a hardboiled egg or two around 4-5 to make it through, but am trying to embrace the "no snacking" recommendation. Any suggestions?

THANKS TEAM - WE'VE GOT THIS! 

Sometimes it's also what you had for breakfast that can be causing you to be hungry if you're not eating enough in general.  It's fine to erat the hardboiled egg and that's actually an excellent choice but if you want to try and get this figured out, please post out a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits etc... so we can help you get it sorted :)

4 hours ago, BeckyB said:

You may want to slowly wean yourself off the coffee, if you're going to, so you don't get killer headaches.

Actually, the headache has been very minor, not even bad enough to need ibuprofen.  The last time I tried to quit coffee, I could hardly move, the pain in my head was so bad. 

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the offer to help!

For breakfast I've been alternating between these two recipes:

https://paleoglutenfree.com/recipes/whole30-sweet-potato-breakfast-bowl/amp/ (made with 2 TB of sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter, and with blueberries)

http://init4thelongrun.com/2014/03/26/whole30-madness-a-confession-a-new-recipe/# (without the vanilla) (Some might consider this SWYPO, but oatmeal is not a 'no brakes' food for me and I like that it helps me eat 2 eggs)

For lunch, the first two days I had:

https://paleoleap.com/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-and-apple-soup/ (1 serving)

AND 2-3 of these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

AND 1/2 an avocado

AND EITHER 1 clementine, or a small portion of roasted broccoli 

Today for lunch I instead had the SALAD ONLY portion of this https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ AND 1/2 an avocado

AND spaghetti squash (about half of one) w/ 1 serving shrimp, 1/2 of an onion, and a serving of (compliant) tomato sauce

For dinners, night 1 was a salad at SweetGreen w/sweet potatoes, veggies, shrimp, and avocado. Night 2 was  https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ (both the shrimp and the salad). Tonight was http://whitneybond.com/pesto-baked-salmon-foil-dinner/ (made with compliant broccoli pesto).

(in case you can't tell, I'm a pescatarian)

It's been going ok overall, but not snacking between lunch and dinner has been by FAR the hardest part, as I am usually starving by dinner. I feel ok at other times.

Sorry for all the info - thanks for your help!!

On 2018-01-03 at 7:25 PM, Mommo4 said:

Hello! I started my first Whole30 yesterday and so far.... yesterday went great; today I was crabby, sweaty, lethargic...not my best. That hangover they talk about in the book is real! I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. Looking forward to my morning hot coffee/banana/coconut oil/almond milk latte with my egg muffin tomorrow. Happy Whole30ing all :)

How do you use banana in a latte?  Please share!

@BeckyB I don’t have a link. The recipe was originally posted on the whole30 Facebook page via instagram, I think....want to give credit. I took a screenshot of the recipe off my app and I will try to attach it. Quick, easy and crowd pleasing! You can rice your cauliflower yourself and shred your own cabbage....but I was after quick and easy. 

950AA5E8-EF20-4EA2-824A-4376E05214A6.jpeg

8 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

@Framed Cooks - I also made your recipe last night! It really is delicious and so easy to do - thank you!  I'm now sipping chicken bone broth in a mug after eating a huge avocado and some cherry tomatoes drizzled with olive oil for breakfast.  I'm not much of a cook and found Trader Joe's organic chicken bone broth which is compliant but does need seasoning since it's a little bland.  Any other recipes for one-pot, one sheet pan cooking are definitely what I need.  Cherry tomatoes are OK, right?

I'm not hungry all the time but I am definitely craving wine and cheese! Anyone else?

Yes we stayed home all day and at one point I reeaally wanted a glass of wine. We made a pot of decaf coffee and it was kind of ok! Coffee can be comforting like wine. 

Right now I’m feeling agitated and mean! And a little headachey and just kind of blah. 

Day 3 down! I was starving all day and in fact am still a little hungry now but I'm scared to eat anything else. I made coconut milk, mayo and a dill dressing today. I forgot how fun it is!

Breakfast was 3 egg muffins and coffee. I really like the muffins but I am getting sick of eating them every day. I need to find something else that's quick and easy in the morning. Lunch was a salad and chicken. Dinner was my beef stir fry but I threw it in a pan with some of the coconut milk and let it simmer for a bit. I thought the extra fat would help my hunger, but it didn't, so I fried up some potatoes too.

Hope everyone has been staying warm. It's been cold here in South Carolina. 

Hi everyone, I started my first W30 yesterday.  The food and prep did not go as planned but I improvised and stayed positive.  Today, wasn't feeling as pumped!  Lots of cooking and major mood swings!  I'm hoping all the cooking today makes the weekend easier with leftovers :)

21 hours ago, racheleats said:

Try with Extra Light Tasting olive oil - it will be so much better!!

Just curious - what did you do with the failed batches? There's a way to fix it in case that happens again - just dump out the soupy mess into a vessel with a spout, add an egg to your blending vessel and drizzle the soupy mixture slowly until it starts to come together!

That's exactly what I did racheleats. :) I just couldn't bear to dump it out! Thanks. ;)

4 minutes ago, MaineacMom said:

That's exactly what I did racheleats. :) I just couldn't bear to dump it out! Thanks. ;)

Oh good! I only asked because I have dumped out a few in frustration before realizing I could save it!! Didn't want anyone else to suffer :) 

I find that prepping the night before is essential if I'm going to eat breakfast  in a timely fashion the next day. Mornings are busy in here with six kiddos to feed and teach.  So,  I usually set aside a portion of protein from dinner for my breakfast and label it so no one absconds with my precious food. :)

Today's breakfast:

Leftover steak with roasted  kale and egg fried in bacon fat,  beet salad with clementine, &  1/2 sweet potato. 

Made this sheet pan steak last night and the whole crew enjoyed it. https://damndelicious.net/2016/12/16/sheet-pan-steak-and-veggies/

Great job guys! We're rocking it. :)

13 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

@BeckyB I don’t have a link. The recipe was originally posted on the whole30 Facebook page via instagram, I think....want to give credit. I took a screenshot of the recipe off my app and I will try to attach it. Quick, easy and crowd pleasing! You can rice your cauliflower yourself and shred your own cabbage....but I was after quick and easy. 

950AA5E8-EF20-4EA2-824A-4376E05214A6.jpeg

Thank you!!!  This sounds right up my alley.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Melanie S said:

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the offer to help!

For breakfast I've been alternating between these two recipes:

https://paleoglutenfree.com/recipes/whole30-sweet-potato-breakfast-bowl/amp/ (made with 2 TB of sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter, and with blueberries)

http://init4thelongrun.com/2014/03/26/whole30-madness-a-confession-a-new-recipe/# (without the vanilla) (Some might consider this SWYPO, but oatmeal is not a 'no brakes' food for me and I like that it helps me eat 2 eggs)

For lunch, the first two days I had:

https://paleoleap.com/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-and-apple-soup/ (1 serving)

AND 2-3 of these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

AND 1/2 an avocado

AND EITHER 1 clementine, or a small portion of roasted broccoli 

Today for lunch I instead had the SALAD ONLY portion of this https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ AND 1/2 an avocado

AND spaghetti squash (about half of one) w/ 1 serving shrimp, 1/2 of an onion, and a serving of (compliant) tomato sauce

For dinners, night 1 was a salad at SweetGreen w/sweet potatoes, veggies, shrimp, and avocado. Night 2 was  https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ (both the shrimp and the salad). Tonight was http://whitneybond.com/pesto-baked-salmon-foil-dinner/ (made with compliant broccoli pesto).

(in case you can't tell, I'm a pescatarian)

It's been going ok overall, but not snacking between lunch and dinner has been by FAR the hardest part, as I am usually starving by dinner. I feel ok at other times.

Sorry for all the info - thanks for your help!!

Okay sorry to tell you but both those breakfast bowls are not compliant, especially the 'oatmeal'.(it IS swypo and it doesn't matter if it's food with no brakes for you, it's definitely not allowed)   We want you to eat protein, veggies and fat with your meals.  The sweet potato one has no protein and the recommendation is to start with a fist sized serving of starchy carbs a day - you can definitely do more but just starchy carbs and almond butter is not a meal.  The second one is basically the banana egg pancake recipe that is disallowed but done as a scramble.   This is absolutely why you're having hunger problems later in the day.  Also, eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping and most people start at 3-4.  

You're definitely not eating enough, you're quite light on veggies in some meals and protein... I think getting your breakfast in line will definitely help... 

@Melanie S it's certainly a learning curve to get the meals figured out at the beginning.  Keep it going and keep it simple.  You'll get there.

I find that, for me, apples and broccoli are like Chinese food...I can stuff myself with them and be hungry a half hour later.  You might try a different set of veggies for a few weeks and see how that does for you.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

@Melanie S it's certainly a learning curve to get the meals figured out at the beginning.  Keep it going and keep it simple.  You'll get there.

I find that, for me, apples and broccoli are like Chinese food...I can stuff myself with them and be hungry a half hour later.  You might try a different set of veggies for a few weeks and see how that does for you.

My husband won't eat apples at all for that reason (unless they are chopped up in a salad) because he said he is hungrier when he's done eating the apple than when he started.

This is my first Whole30! My spouse and I started January 2nd, so I thought I'd introduce myself on this thread. It's going ok so far, just having some hunger issues between meals. I'm excited to see the changes in cravings/body/energy after this month. 

The one issue is that we are not forcing our 10 year old to do this, so we are still cooking separate meals for them. It's doubly tough to have cheese, milk, etc in our fridge and not have any!

Hi all - well it's Day 4 and I'm still down with this darn flu bug which is both a good and a bad thing.  It's good because I think that any "hangover" symptoms are being masked by the body aches, dizziness, sneezes, coughs and blinding headache that's part of the illness - although maybe they're just exacerbated, who knows.  The bad thing is that I am stuck in bed and not at work with my mind on meetings, emails and tons of other things. This means I'm thinking about food most of the time!

This morning for breakfast I had tea, coffee, sparkling water with lemon and a baked potato with ghee, olive oil and tons of salt and pepper, together with a slice of leftover chicken breast from @Framed Cooks evening 1 meal recipe. Always great to have leftover food!  And thank goodness you can eat "real" potatoes on this plan. I keep trying sweet potatoes and every time I do, I just don't really like them.

And I'm going to try your Paleo Taco Salad recipe too @Framed Cooks - that sounds like a great one as well!

How's everyone else feeling?  Does anyone actually feel good yet or still meh/blah??

Day 4 and my cheating husband, who claims to have read the rules got on the scale!!! *mod edit to remove weightloss discussion. I had to leave for acupuncture or you’d all be hearing about me on the news!  

Archived