Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

1 hour ago, DoodleJo said:

Day 4 and my cheating husband, who claims to have read the rules got on the scale!!! *mod edit to remove weightloss discussion. Here comes that urge to kill. I had to leave for acupuncture or you’d all be hearing about me on the news!  

*mod edit to remove weightloss discussion  Wow!  I don't see any difference at all in my body... not that I've weighed myself, but I look no different!  That's very impressive (despite the cheating!) :-)

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have relaxed a bit more into the program since the first day when I realized I was not prepared.  I cleaned my office, as I find clutter just causes underlying anxiety and distraction.  I brought these salt/pepper shakers today... kind of sentinels of accountability.  

All in all, I think it's going as expected; sore muscles today, and looking forward to a full night of sleep tonight.  Meal planning is helping me stay focused... and the fact that I love olives, avocados, eggs, celery ... it's all good.   I hope everyone is doing well.  I'm getting a lot from reading posts when I can.  We got this!

image.png.8e06a9c2e46799f3b6609ce73f010e6c.png

Day 4 and my cheating husband, who claims to have read the rules got on the scale!!! *mod edit to remove weightloss discussion Here comes that urge to kill. I had to leave for acupuncture or you’d all be hearing about me on the news!  

Men!  Hide the scale or take out the battery.  

Day 4 and my cheating husband, who claims to have read the rules got on the scale!!! *mod edit to remove weightloss discussion I had to leave for acupuncture or you’d all be hearing about me on the news!  

Aaargh!  My husband, who did the last W30 with me, asked me yesterday morning why I wasn't putting milk in my tea.  I was flabbergasted.  What part of milk being dairy is confusing?  He says he's sure he put milk in his tea during the last W30, too, and was I sure I wasn't mistaken?  I honestly don't really care if he does or doesn't, as long as he's game to go along with what I plan for meals and supports me that way, but geez!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, ErikaA said:

@cescaw Sorry to hear you had a bumpy day two, I hope your day three is going better!  Did you like the stuffed peppers? 

@ErikaA I really love the stuffed peppers!  The key for me is to make sure I chop the squash into small enough pieces.  I also buy the pre-cut/peeled squash as a time saver and put in extra kale or other veggies that I may have.  I usually make extra filling, too, since I like to eat it as a breakfast hash with an egg on top and hot sauce.  Yum!

• Moderators

Hey all... I've edited the post from @DoodleJo to remove weightloss discussion.  It's against the rules and often can become the focus of discussion when what we want people to focus on is non scale victories and health in general.  Doodlejo, I'm sorry that your hubby did that, it's not encouraging or supportive...

Today I had to go to a restaurant for lunch with my husband for a business meeting.  I was a little nervous when he scheduled it earlier this week, but I have a sister-in-law with a lot of food allergies so I know most restaurants will work with you.  I looked at the menu online and figured a grilled chicken salad was the safest way to go.  I asked what they put on their grilled chicken and all the server knew was a seasoning blend.  Since I'm reading labels  now and see how many things have sugar on the list of ingredients I was worried about their blend so I just asked for salt and pepper.  No problem!  I was so glad to get this potential obstacle out of the way!  Next hurdle will be next weekend's wine club dinner - my plan is to bring my favorite lacroix and a shared dish that I know I can eat.  I really am loving the food on whole30!  Tonight I'm making the chicken piccata https://www.noshtastic.com/easy-chicken-piccata/.  Looks delicious!  

32 minutes ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I am hoping to make a recipe with coconut aminos this weekend, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm going to try two more stores tomorrow. If I have no luck and can't find it, is there anything I can use in its place?? Thanks!! 

@elizabeth.joan Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They carry their own house brand and it's a lot more reasonable (I think $2.99?) than most health food stores (which is where you usually find it). It's also sometimes labelled as "raw soy-free seasoning sauce". The ingredients should be: organic coconut tree sap, sea salt.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I am hoping to make a recipe with coconut aminos this weekend, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm going to try two more stores tomorrow. If I have no luck and can't find it, is there anything I can use in its place?? Thanks!! 

What's the recipe?  I made lots of stuff that called for it without using it because it used to not be available in Canada... just season to taste.

Had a crazy busy day and missed lunch. I really need to buckle down more and make the time. Sad because it was going to be delicious too lol. Now its Meal 1 tomorrow :)

Happy to report Im feeling pretty good. I guess Im an oddity because I havent experienced the hangover or flu in my past Whole30's with the exception of an occasional mild headache and some lethargy a week or so in. I think being a non coffee drinker helps.

I had a kind of NSV at the store today. While compliant I have been TOO attached to my cashew butter so I decided to take it out of my diet until I cure my sugar dragon. Its just SWOP for me :( 

1 hour ago, evaq said:

@elizabeth.joan Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They carry their own house brand and it's a lot more reasonable (I think $2.99?) than most health food stores (which is where you usually find it). It's also sometimes labelled as "raw soy-free seasoning sauce". The ingredients should be: organic coconut tree sap, sea salt.

I don't have a Trader Joe's where I live, unfortunately. I'm going do some hunting tomorrow to see if I can find it. 

Happy Friday!
I had some bad digestive problems today -- hoping they go away soon. Laying off the coffee would help, I know.
Went grocery shopping late at Trader Joe's and got some good stuff for not much money, so that's nice.
I signed up to make cookies for a fundraiser for my favorite charity the weekend after the Whole 30 ends. I think I can eat just one ;)
Now, off to a weekend of cooking :)

I went to Sprouts after work and got lots of good-for-me food at sale prices!  I found coconut aminos.  Bought compliant bacon and forgot to cook it before I cooked my eggs for dinner. I made an awesome scramble with leftover veggies.  I bought A lamb chop.  It was their last one. I’m going back for more tomorrow.  They were also out of top sirloin.  I figured I’d stock up on meat while it was on sale.  I also watched Food, Inc.  Mel Joulwan, Well Fed, suggested it.  It makes me feel better about how much I spent on organics.  Now to make time to cook this weekend. Lots of basketball games with grandkids. 

For two days I’ve had a tickle in my throat like I’m coming down with a cold - anyone else experiencing something like this? For dinner I made salt and pepper fried cod with cod I had in the freezer, with an avocado-mango-red onion salsa; it was good! Probably needed more vegetables on the plate though. You fry thinly sliced garlic and chili peppers to go with the fish- so tasty. For the holidays we had a giant spiral cut ham from Whole Foods. Sugar free of course. We froze it in batches and it’s really coming in handy for lunches. I’ve been using romaine lettuce as “boats” for my curry leftover turkey salad. Tasty. I have two big marrow bones in freezer and need to figure out what to do with them. I love bone marrow. It’s kind of crazy that it’s only been a couple of days. Seems like there’s already been so much work and thought put in! Feels more like a week or ten days. Good luck all

3 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I found it at Walmart 

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What's the recipe?  I made lots of stuff that called for it without using it because it used to not be available in Canada... just season to taste.

You can order it on amazon too

20 hours ago, ethansomebody said:

This is my first Whole30! My spouse and I started January 2nd, so I thought I'd introduce myself on this thread. It's going ok so far, just having some hunger issues between meals. I'm excited to see the changes in cravings/body/energy after this month. 

The one issue is that we are not forcing our 10 year old to do this, so we are still cooking separate meals for them. It's doubly tough to have cheese, milk, etc in our fridge and not have any!

Hi ethansomebody,

I understand your dilemma. My hubby and kids are not doing the W30 with me so I'm making them muffins and rice and such. It's been a good test of self control. What helps me is making sure I have good foods on hand that I can grab easily so I don't succumb to temptation.  The whole family eats the main dish w30 meal that I prepare and I make them sides that they enjoy. It's less work that way vs. making 2 completely different meals. You guys can do this!!! :)

14 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

My walmart has coconut aminos as well as our local natural food store. I think walmart will even ship it to you or to your nearest store. :)

14 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I was able to find it at Bulk Barn (in Canada). It was labeled as coconut sauce, but same ingredients (coconut sap and salt). It’s really good and even my non-w30 husband has converted from soy sauce to this stuff!!

Archived