Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I am hoping to make a recipe with coconut aminos this weekend, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm going to try two more stores tomorrow. If I have no luck and can't find it, is there anything I can use in its place?? Thanks!! 

I was thrilled to find that my Trader Joe's carries it. Last time I had to order on Amazon - good fall back option!

On 1/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, Melanie S said:

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the offer to help!

For breakfast I've been alternating between these two recipes:

https://paleoglutenfree.com/recipes/whole30-sweet-potato-breakfast-bowl/amp/ (made with 2 TB of sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter, and with blueberries)

http://init4thelongrun.com/2014/03/26/whole30-madness-a-confession-a-new-recipe/# (without the vanilla) (Some might consider this SWYPO, but oatmeal is not a 'no brakes' food for me and I like that it helps me eat 2 eggs)

For lunch, the first two days I had:

https://paleoleap.com/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-and-apple-soup/ (1 serving)

AND 2-3 of these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

AND 1/2 an avocado

AND EITHER 1 clementine, or a small portion of roasted broccoli 

Today for lunch I instead had the SALAD ONLY portion of this https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ AND 1/2 an avocado

AND spaghetti squash (about half of one) w/ 1 serving shrimp, 1/2 of an onion, and a serving of (compliant) tomato sauce

For dinners, night 1 was a salad at SweetGreen w/sweet potatoes, veggies, shrimp, and avocado. Night 2 was  https://paleoleap.com/coconut-shrimp-and-mango-salsa-salad/ (both the shrimp and the salad). Tonight was http://whitneybond.com/pesto-baked-salmon-foil-dinner/ (made with compliant broccoli pesto).

(in case you can't tell, I'm a pescatarian)

It's been going ok overall, but not snacking between lunch and dinner has been by FAR the hardest part, as I am usually starving by dinner. I feel ok at other times.

Sorry for all the info - thanks for your help!!

Hate to say it because they look delicious, but your breakfasts are both SWYPO. :mellow:

1 hour ago, LagunaRover said:

OMG I need cheese, wine and chocolate so much! (And not necessarily in that order...) I'm even craving cereal and I NEVER eat cereal... ouch.  guess the avocado will have to do.  Does anyone else have a headache that Just. Will. Not. Leave?

Hang tough!  You don't actually need those things... just feels like it - ugh.  Is there any way you can get a quick chair massage?  That might help with distraction, aid with headache, and pampering?

7 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

OMG I need cheese, wine and chocolate so much! (And not necessarily in that order...) I'm even craving cereal and I NEVER eat cereal... ouch.  guess the avocado will have to do.  Does anyone else have a headache that Just. Will. Not. Leave?

La Croix w/ LIME & CRANBERRIES!!!  I'm pounding those puppies!

On 1/4/2018 at 8:31 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Sometimes it's also what you had for breakfast that can be causing you to be hungry if you're not eating enough in general.  It's fine to erat the hardboiled egg and that's actually an excellent choice but if you want to try and get this figured out, please post out a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits etc... so we can help you get it sorted :)

I though you were supposed to have a Post Work Out "mini-meal" of a small protein and fat...but I am new to this!

On 1/4/2018 at 8:12 AM, JohannaE said:

How's everyone doing? I'm still LOVING this food! I've been really tired, but never experienced "the hangover" on past Whole30s so I think it may be a bit of a bug/actually still recovering from sleep deficit over the weekend.

I've gone pretty far off my meal plan, but it's worked out! Last night I REALLY didn't feel like cooking, but knew I'd run out of things to eat for breakfast and lunch if I didn't... or have to eat pulled pork for every meal :huh:.  I made stuffed plantains instead of the full pastelon, which was easier but not quite as yummy.  This morning I had a bit of extra time, so instead of the egg muffins I made portobello mushrooms, brussels sprouts, chicken sausage, fried egg and avocado. :wub:

unnamed-1.jpg

This looks gorgeous!!!  and delicious!!!  

I have a success to share because I made good choices last night!  

We went out to dinner with several other couples last night (long planned)...and I had thought about just eating before, and drinking hot tea and club soda during the dinner.  But then I decided I wanted to enjoy the evening fully and would make it work. Fortunately it was modern asian fusion restaurant...so I ordered "yakatori" kebab style skewers (they were tiny bites): one was salmon dusted with cumin salt and the other was beef dusted with "5 asian spices".... I also ordered the steamed asparagus and sautéed okra (again mini-plates).  I had these, shared them with the table, and was sated.  I told everyone at the table about my 30 day meal plan, and that in February I would be able to have a cocktail with them and they were all very supportive.  

When I got home, I had some lettuce wraps with some leftover baked potato slices and guacamole.   While I know it wasn't in one setting, I did have my protein/veggies/fat and was able to have a socially normal evening with a great group of people.  I wasn't not even tempted by the rice or noodles or wontons/rolls- it was a real victory for me...because I am a foodie, and love to graze.  What I really missed was the cocktail!  But only 25 more days til I can have one of those again!  

9 hours ago, ErikaA said:

I was able to find it at Bulk Barn (in Canada). It was labeled as coconut sauce, but same ingredients (coconut sap and salt). It’s really good and even my non-w30 husband has converted from soy sauce to this stuff!!

I found the coconut aminos at my last stop today! Thanks for the tip though, I'll remember that 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, D.M. said:

I though you were supposed to have a Post Work Out "mini-meal" of a small protein and fat...but I am new to this!

Close... pre workout is protein and fat, post workout is lean protein and starchy carb.  Fat slows the absorption of protein into the body, and what we want post workout is that protein to get in there quick so that's why 'lean' and no fat :)

Hello. I am having much more energy and motivation during the day. I’ve been roasting everything in sight- sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms - and doing pre-made healthy school snacks for my daughter. But by the evening I get flu-like symptoms, tired and blah.

For dinner we had an old standby- sausages, potatoes, bell pepper (red or yellow), thyme in a casserole dish in the oven. You could do it on a sheet pan I’m sure. Works great with merguez but today we had Italian sausages leftover from “Sunday gravy” shopping. We also added kale. It’s still totally freezing cold here.

I remembered another old trick from my first (only) successful whole 30- cold brewed herbal tea. Put two tea bags in a pitcher of water in the fridge overnight. In the morning take out the tea bags and sip all day! Looking forward to having this tomorrow- I made a Tulsi turmeric tea. 

265B3E3F-9B66-409C-AE3E-AC80FCFA79D2.jpeg

@Garden Gal Im so jealous you have a Sprouts! Fell in love with them while visiting my brother in Vegas, sadly they arent coming to Jersey until later this year.

I had a freaking amazing Meal 2 today...Cioppino! It was a total labor of love took about 2.5 hours but OMG amazing. Honestly I prefer taking an average recipe and Whole30ing it :) For this it was just a matter of omitting the white wine and making sure my store bought veggie and seafood broth ( I took the lazy way out) was compliant. 

Cracked open my first Cherry Lime La Croix last night and its my absolute favorite so far. I highly recommend it even if like me you arent much of a seltzer drinker. 

Had a bit of a headache today but that could have also been because it was a crazy day. Otherwise Im feeling pretty good.

Hi all, I also started on Jan 2 and have just been told about this blog. I've loved the food and have been sticking to it. Question. My stomach hurts a little today (day 4). Is it possible there is too much fat? Is it normal to have your stomach hurt on day 4? I haven't started to feel amazing yet, but I am getting over a cold. Can't wait. Either way, I love the food!

3 hours ago, D.M. said:

La Croix w/ LIME & CRANBERRIES!!!  I'm pounding those puppies!

D.M. you hit the nail on the head.  In my case it's Perrier with lime juice and squished raspberries and it's actually hitting the spot on a Saturday night when only wine would usually do! I'm feeling so much better tonight now this flu/cold/whatever bug is finally leaving.  No more sneezing, coughing, body aches or nausea, yea!  I still have a slight headache twinge which is probably due to this program rather than the bug, but boy I'm glad whatever that was is almost gone. I feel almost human again. Looking forward to a good night's sleep and a hike in the morning with my dogs!  

I made the shepherd's pie recipe from the Whole 30 book tonight with real potatoes for the topping not sweet potatoes, and I added a lot more onions, celery and carrots to the mix and put some chopped prosciutto on top of the potato topping while it baked in the oven which was lovely and crispy.  It was absolutely yummy and I have TONS left over for tomorrow and beyond. Definitely recommended.

Hope everyone had a great Day 5!

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Hi all, I also started on Jan 2 and have just been told about this blog. I've loved the food and have been sticking to it. Question. My stomach hurts a little today (day 4). Is it possible there is too much fat? Is it normal to have your stomach hurt on day 4? I haven't started to feel amazing yet, but I am getting over a cold. Can't wait. Either way, I love the food!

Do you generally have trouble with fat? It might be that but it might also be eating more vegetables than you're used to, or eating a lot of raw vegetables, or eating a particular food that doesn't agree with you. If it comes and goes -- some days you have this pain and other days not -- definitely keep track of specifically what you're eating and see if there's any pattern to what might be causing it. If you want feedback on your meals, to see if anyone notices anything that's caused problems for them, you can start a new topic in the Troubleshooting section of the forum. If it doesn't go away at all, it might be worth speaking to a doctor about, as stomach pain is not a normal side effect of eating this way.

I started my W30 on January 2, but have been late to join the forum.  I'm learning more every day and I'm looking forward to hearing how others' journeys are progressing.  I've decided that more information is better than less, but I'm limited by time.  I was bummed to see that after purchasing one book to prepare, I couldn't get the daily newsletter service touted in that book for free- I had to buy ANOTHER book to get that information. Being budget strapped, I am spending enough just on buying the food for the program and the original book!  I'm hoping this forum provides similar support.

My husband is doing Whole30 with me this time. He is usually pretty bad about eating real meals, and just snacks on not so healthy things throughout the day.  Now that we're having these HUGE meals with actual nutrition, he says he's hungry all the time!  It's strange, because we are eating foods that SHOULD keep you full more better than simple carbs - including protein and lots of fat. My best guess is that it's because he's used to constantly fueling with easy to access carbohydrates throughout the day, and maybe has even revved his metabolism. Regardless, he's the type that has trouble gaining weight/keeping it on so I actually suggested that he make himself a 4th full meal rather than add snacks, since the unhealthy snacking and forgetting to eat is the habit he really could stand to break.

As for me, I survived two birthday parties yesterday without much temptation.  I drank la croix/sparkling water because it's nice to be holding something at a party, and I will say - not a big fan of how it makes my stomach feel!  Bloated and bubbly. I may need to stick to water.

Here's my meal plan for the week... might be a tad ambitious! http://www.notesfromamessykitchen.com/2018/01/07/whole30-week-2-meal-plan/

19 minutes ago, DeeZaftig said:

What do folks use in place of soy sauce over Chinese food?  I'm in the mood for a stir fry but I'd like to add a little sauce to it.  Ideas?  Recipes?  Thanks in advance!  

@DeeZaftig Most people use coconut aminos for stir frys - 1 bottle goes a long way. You can find it in health food stores and specialty stores. I live in Toronto and can find it in all my health food stores plus Bulk Barn. If you live in the US, I know that both Wegmans and Trader Joe's carry it. TJ even has its own house brand which is a lot cheaper (2.99) vs standard $7-$8 per bottle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coconut-Secret-Original-Soy-Free-Seasoning/dp/B00LWQLCJ4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_325_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BR0VD9GHENQ3Y2ZF86YG

Archived