Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I’m on day 6 and feeling kind of bloated and large and in charge. I don’t remember ever feeling this way with my first whole30. Any suggestions of what it may be? I am eating more fat this time around I think...only difference. 

15 minutes ago, Overeducatedopinion said:

I have to go overseas after a death in the family today. Leaving Weds and coming back next Tuesday. It’s not going to be easy to stick to whole 30 on the looooong flight and in a foreign country (Egypt) but I’m going to do it. 

I am so sorry to hear.  Safe travels and good luck!

Happy Sunday ! I’m on day 6 and I have made it no slip ups which is something I don’t think I’ve ever done in my life so that’s a win. This weekend has been very very hard went to a party brought my own soup thank goodness because there was nothing there that I could eat. Super tempting delicious food and all I have anted was a glass of wine but somehow I stayed focus I told myself this isn’t forever !! So I hope everyone is doing well good luck on week 2 

I ate lunch about 11:00 today. Mel Joulwan’s Chocolate Chili, avocado and jalapeños, sweet potato with ghee, green beans.  I had to force myself to eat dinner at 8:00.  That was odd.  I wasn’t hungry, but I knew I had to eat.  

Yesterday I went back to Sprouts and bought more meat that was on sale and came home and re-packaged it in recipe-size bags.  Made Chocolate Chili.  Today, I cooked a sheet pan meal with chicken, cabbage and squash. I also cooked a huge sweet potato that I quartered.  I bought lamb chops that I plan to braise.  Shopping and prepping use up most of the weekend. I’ll be glad to go back to work Monday so I can get some rest, lol!

2 hours ago, Garden Gal said:

I ate lunch about 11:00 today. Mel Joulwan’s Chocolate Chili, avocado and jalapeños, sweet potato with ghee, green beans.  I had to force myself to eat dinner at 8:00.  That was odd.  I wasn’t hungry, but I knew I had to eat.  

Yesterday I went back to Sprouts and bought more meat that was on sale and came home and re-packaged it in recipe-size bags.  Made Chocolate Chili.  Today, I cooked a sheet pan meal with chicken, cabbage and squash. I also cooked a huge sweet potato that I quartered.  I bought lamb chops that I plan to braise.  Shopping and prepping use up most of the weekend. I’ll be glad to go back to work Monday so I can get some rest, lol!

I feel you! Meal prep took like 5 hours tonight....but if I don't prep for the entire week, I don't stick to it! It is the only way. 

23 hours ago, careycat said:

I started my W30 on January 2, but have been late to join the forum.  I'm learning more every day and I'm looking forward to hearing how others' journeys are progressing.  I've decided that more information is better than less, but I'm limited by time.  I was bummed to see that after purchasing one book to prepare, I couldn't get the daily newsletter service touted in that book for free- I had to buy ANOTHER book to get that information. Being budget strapped, I am spending enough just on buying the food for the program and the original book!  I'm hoping this forum provides similar support.

I read somewhere that everything that is in the books is on their website for free. I haven't looked into it, as I'm an old school gal. I like tangible items. However, maybe that might get you going.  BTW, welcome. This is my first round, too.

19 hours ago, evaq said:

@DeeZaftig Most people use coconut aminos for stir frys - 1 bottle goes a long way. You can find it in health food stores and specialty stores. I live in Toronto and can find it in all my health food stores plus Bulk Barn. If you live in the US, I know that both Wegmans and Trader Joe's carry it. TJ even has its own house brand which is a lot cheaper (2.99) vs standard $7-$8 per bottle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coconut-Secret-Original-Soy-Free-Seasoning/dp/B00LWQLCJ4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_325_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BR0VD9GHENQ3Y2ZF86YG

Whole foods and Natural grocers have it. ...and of course,  Amazon. Lol

9 hours ago, RroseR said:

I feel you! Meal prep took like 5 hours tonight....but if I don't prep for the entire week, I don't stick to it! It is the only way. 

Glad to hear it wasn't just me!  My prep took me way longer than I expected yesterday and afterwards, I definitely wasn't wanting to make or eat supper...I did end up making a chicken stew (https://www.farmsteadchic.com/paleo-whole30-chicken-stew/), which turned out pretty good.  Onward to day 7!!! 

19 hours ago, RroseR said:

So I’m on day 6 and feeling kind of bloated and large and in charge. I don’t remember ever feeling this way with my first whole30. Any suggestions of what it may be? I am eating more fat this time around I think...only difference. 

Sometimes it just takes a few days for your body to adjust - I've felt bloated and "large" in different phases of all my rounds of whole30! Have you been eating a lot of salad/raw veggies or nuts? Those are always the bloating culprit for me.

1 hour ago, LaVesta said:

Whole foods and Natural grocers have it. ...and of course,  Amazon. Lol

Hi there. If you like Thai, Thai Kitchen makes a compliant, no-sweetener curry paste. Green and red varieties. Comes in a tiny jar probably in Asian aisle. Throw half the jar, 1 can coconut milk, any protein, and any veg in a pot and simmer. Easiest meal in my repertoire. 

18 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Sometimes it just takes a few days for your body to adjust - I've felt bloated and "large" in different phases of all my rounds of whole30! Have you been eating a lot of salad/raw veggies or nuts? Those are always the bloating culprit for me.

I just re read this chapter last night and it says that the gut is adjusting to the lack of easily accessible sugars. It usually lasts a couple days. I’ve been very bloated and gassy and uncomfortable, but this morning I feel better.  Going into day 7 hang in there it’s supposed to get better. 

17 hours ago, Overeducatedopinion said:

I have to go overseas after a death in the family today. Leaving Weds and coming back next Tuesday. It’s not going to be easy to stick to whole 30 on the looooong flight and in a foreign country (Egypt) but I’m going to do it. 

I am so sorry for your loss. 

I have been very busy at work this past week, but my Whole 30 is going well. I did have a headache and did not feel well last Friday. I took it easy in the afternoon and took a long nap then went to bed early. I have noticed a return to feeling a "good" hungry in the morning. 

I was also able to attend Melissa's book tour stop in D.C. last night. It was an interesting discussion format talk.  I learned about a few local resources for food and Whole 30 friendly restaurants. The issue of inclusion and availability. For economic the expense issue and Melissa agreed that for some, that is very real. One of the coaches is focused on helping people complete Whole 30 just shopping at Aldi (hurray) and Walmart. For  gender- mostly women were there and seem to post on social media but men do Whole30.  The publication of the books in Spanish is pending as Melissa was able to find a publisher to do it. There was also discussion on what we could do to pass (and ways) to pass the word on the word to others.

Happy day 7 everyone.  I think if you've made it this far you're good to go.  

As I've posted, the 'no wine' part of the W30 is my biggest challenge.  It has helped(?) that my household has been sickly this week and the booze has stayed on the shelf, so my husband didn't drink this weekend and that was nice not to have that temptation going on.  I felt okay enough yesterday to do some cooking/prep.  Made some chicken salad (yay I had homemade mayo) and a big cabbage roll casserole.  I've discovered cabbage and brussel sprouts lately, didn't ever realize how good they were.  Nom Nom Paleo's roasted brussel sprouts with bacon is goooood.  

After I get over this cold my goal is to amp up my exercise.

Have a good week everybody!  

I am so amazed that for me, I am doing this!!!!!! I hope you all feel the same! 

I spent football Sunday  at a sports bar drinking water and unsweet tea! I ordered steak bites plain! Who am I ??????? LOL

I think the biggest surprise is that a LOT of the teas I have on hand are not compliant! Yogi has stevia, some of my Teavana have things listed like candied fruit pieces! 

With that being said, what are some delicious teas to sip at night, while your spouse is having wine. Grrrrrr......

19 hours ago, Overeducatedopinion said:

I'm sorry for your loss.  I hope you have safe travels.

51 minutes ago, Christiana said:

I am so amazed that for me, I am doing this!!!!!! I hope you all feel the same! 

I spent football Sunday  at a sports bar drinking water and unsweet tea! I ordered steak bites plain! Who am I ??????? LOL

I think the biggest surprise is that a LOT of the teas I have on hand are not compliant! Yogi has stevia, some of my Teavana have things listed like candied fruit pieces! 

With that being said, what are some delicious teas to sip at night, while your spouse is having wine. Grrrrrr......

Your post made me look at the Yogi tea "Kava" and it has stevia as the last ingredient.  I have had mostly Ginger (ok) and Detox (also ok) but a  couple cups of Kava since the 2nd.  Do I need to start all over?  I've been kicking butt otherwise. I can't start over until mid-February for a totally committed Whole30.

Archived