Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

Great job to everyone who is staying strong and sticking with the rules! As someone who has done a successful and then one not so successful Whole30 I know how hard it is to stay on plan, make all the right choices, and read ALL the labels :)

Made a great meal the other night, Mocha Rubbed Pot Roast. Im not normally a big pot roast person but my hubby is and since he dutifully eats my Whole30 and Paleo creations with minimal complaints (he gets sad about no cheese lol) I tried it out and its AMAZING! Super easy to make as well.

Stay strong everyone, we are already one week in <3

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WholeCourtney said:

Great job to everyone who is staying strong and sticking with the rules! As someone who has done a successful and then one not so successful Whole30 I know how hard it is to stay on plan, make all the right choices, and read ALL the labels :)

Made a great meal the other night, Mocha Rubbed Pot Roast. Im not normally a big pot roast person but my hubby is and since he dutifully eats my Whole30 and Paleo creations with minimal complaints (he gets sad about no cheese lol) I tried it out and its AMAZING! Super easy to make as well.

Stay strong everyone, we are already one week in <3

Would you mind sharing a link for the pot roast?  I have a few in my freezer that I need to use!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ALouden said:

Hello all!  I've been eating mostly paleo on and off for a few years but the last year was terrible so I started my first official Whole 30 on January 1st.  Overall it is going pretty well.  I have one thing that's driving me bonkers and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have this horrible taste/feeling on my tongue.  I've had it before when I was trying a low carb diet but I'm not skipping carbs now so what's happening?  How do I get rid of it???  Thanks for helping!!!

It can be a sign of ketosis, which is why you've had it on other low-carb diets. Whole30 doesn't have to be low-carb, but if you're not going out of your way to make sure you get carbs it can end up that way, and people need different amounts of carbs to avoid it. Our usual recommendation is that people start with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, but you can definitely have more than that if you need it. Starchy vegetables would be potato, sweet potato, and other root vegetables like beets, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, or parsnips, and winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash. Fruit is also higher carb, just be sure you're eating it with meals, not on its own.

Not getting enough water might also cause a weird taste or feel in your mouth, so be sure you're hydrated. We recommend 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person would need at least 60 oz. 

Some medications can cause this, so if you've started any new meds lately, maybe read up on their side effects. If this does continue even after you try adding more carbs and drinking plenty of water, do check with your doctor or dentist just to rule out any underlying issues that aren't necessarily food-related.

6 hours ago, nicoledawn913 said:

Happy Day 8 everyone! Hope you are all doing well.  Mine is going great, except this one minor issue I am now experiencing.  I have made DOZENS of batches of homemade mayo with total success.  I use the recipe in the whole30 book, dump all the (room temp) ingredients in a cup and stick my immersion blender in and go.  Bam, homemade mayo.  Except now.  I have tried three batches since Sunday and none of them have worked.  :(  I am going out of my mind!!!  There has been nothing I have changed, so why all of the sudden would it not work?!  Our local store does carry the Primal Kitchen mayo but I think it tastes terrible compared to homemade.  But mayo is basically the plated fat I use for most meals so I can't stand not having it.  What on earth would make it not work suddenly?

Nicole (and others) I've found that the main reason for this is not mixing it correctly.  Be sure you let the egg settle to the bottom of your bowl or jar and keep your immersion blender on the bottom of the bowl so that it hits the egg first and then gradually pulls in the oil.   Don't stir or move the immersion blender at all until you start to see the white mayo blooming.  If you have a 1 pint wide mouth mason jar you can mix the mayo right in the jar.  There is room for 1 cup oil and 1 egg (plus whatever acid and flavoring you like to add).  This tall jar works great because it's easy to keep the immersion blender on the bottom where the egg is and you'll get perfect mayo every time.  Once you are done you can just put the lid on it!    

3 hours ago, nicoledawn913 said:

I'm in Iowa so it is cold, but not near as cold as it was last weekend when I made two batches and it worked perfectly!  No I would say it is more "damp" than it was then, but that's the only thing I can come up with.  It was out of the same egg carton and everything.  My kids thought I was loosing it last night when I yelled because it didn't come together!  :blink:

Be sure the egg is on the bottom of the bowl or jar and keep your immersion blender still and at the bottom of the bowl so that it blends the egg first.  I think that's the secret.

3 hours ago, ALouden said:

Hello all!  I've been eating mostly paleo on and off for a few years but the last year was terrible so I started my first official Whole 30 on January 1st.  Overall it is going pretty well.  I have one thing that's driving me bonkers and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have this horrible taste/feeling on my tongue.  I've had it before when I was trying a low carb diet but I'm not skipping carbs now so what's happening?  How do I get rid of it???  Thanks for helping!!!

Oh wow.   I had/have something similar, too.  Thought it was just me.   I feel like I have ground beef or steak breath all the time.  Brushing teeth helps, but not always practical (if out running errands).   I found that drinking lime/mint sparkling water helps (that is what is available to me during the day).  I am hoping it doesn't last forever... anyone know?  Thank you.

Just saw an answer above... thank you ShannonM816. 

1 hour ago, Prairie Girl said:

Nicole (and others) I've found that the main reason for this is not mixing it correctly.  Be sure you let the egg settle to the bottom of your bowl or jar and keep your immersion blender on the bottom of the bowl so that it hits the egg first and then gradually pulls in the oil.   Don't stir or move the immersion blender at all until you start to see the white mayo blooming.  If you have a 1 pint wide mouth mason jar you can mix the mayo right in the jar.  There is room for 1 cup oil and 1 egg (plus whatever acid and flavoring you like to add).  This tall jar works great because it's easy to keep the immersion blender on the bottom where the egg is and you'll get perfect mayo every time.  Once you are done you can just put the lid on it!    

That is what is crazy about it, the way you described is the way I do it every single time!! I literally changed nothing about the ingredients I use or how I prepare them, it just suddenly stopped working.  I'm blaming it on something in the atmosphere! :lol:

Hi Everyone!  I haven't posted in a few days, but things are going well.  I definitely had some fatigue issues late last week and over the weekend, but I'm feeling really good now.  I sure enjoy seeing the support and encouragement on this board and love hearing about recipes people are using.  My husband has today off work so he's making XO Pork with Blistered Green Beans from Michelle Tam's new cookbook "Ready or Not"  for dinner tonight.  I can't wait!  :-)

5 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

Dasani strawberry-guava is my favorite! Maybe tied with La Croix peach-pear. Dasani also has a raspberry lemonade one that is great when it's hot outside, but maybe also a little too SWYPO for people who miss juice, etc. The flavor, to me, is reminiscent of actual raspberry lemonade and not raspberries and lemons, if that makes sense. Who knew we'd have to be so careful with sparkling water?? :lol:

Oh my goodness, I just tried the Dasani Raspberry Lemonade sparkling water for the first time and it is soooooo good!!  

On 1/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, racheleats said:

Sometimes it just takes a few days for your body to adjust - I've felt bloated and "large" in different phases of all my rounds of whole30! Have you been eating a lot of salad/raw veggies or nuts? Those are always the bloating culprit for me.

I did have some cashew butter with my banana for a few with lunch...and I only add this to lunch if I am working out that day (otherwise I get super light headed during my workout)...my raw veggies are usually a ton of spring mix for lunch, so yes to the salad.  

today, its better. i'm feeling a little leaner and less bloated. Maybe it was the cashew butter and working out. 

18 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ah, thank you!  I actually prefer the Dasani sparkling waters to La Croix (even tho I still have to go over the border to get either) so I've never tried the mixed flavors.  

When I was looking at the NiCola ones earlier online, I went to see the images and that stinkin' stuff is still clear!  So shady!  I mean I know the 'idea' is to have a healthier version but talk about SWYPO for people with a soda habit!

for some odd reason, LaCroix makes my teeth feel grimy.  I like the flavors, but its like the strangest thing! 

So far, so good on Day 8.  I made the skillet butter chicken last night from the fast and easy cookbook and it was bomb. Highly recommend. 

A little cooking snafu. We wanted to make bbq chicken since we got an instant pot and we couldn't find Tessamae's anywhere in the stores, and wanted to do it for meal prep...so I found one recipe online that had unsweetened applesauce in it (dates make me sick) and it was just okay. And then once we heated it up...it tasted terrible! Lol.  But, I added a little bit of Primal Paleo ranch and it tasted better...but it was a lot of work for something not as good.

Anyone try the tessamae one? 

Happy one week and a day, all!

I've been indulging in a lot avocado the past two days with my meals, but is too much avocado bad? I love avocado (I could eat it every day) and I know it's considered a healthy fat, but is too much a bad thing? 

Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Thanks! 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I've been indulging in a lot avocado the past two days with my meals, but is too much avocado bad? I love avocado (I could eat it every day) and I know it's considered a healthy fat, but is too much a bad thing? 

In general no, it's okay but avocado is related to the latex family and drastically increasing your consumption of any food 'can' lead to an intolerance, which you probably want to avoid, given the avocado/latex correlation... I usually maxed myself at one full one a day (because Costco sold them in five count bags which is a work week for me) and then used mayo or other fats for the other 12 meals a week.

10 hours ago, racheleats said:

You just described my current mayo life/situation. 2 years of perfect batches just dumping everything in and the past few month it has failed EVERY SINGLE TIME. No change in my method, ingredients, temp of ingredients...so strange! Thankfully it's pretty easy to save a batch by adding another egg/egg yolk otherwise I would give up and just buy pre-made with all the money I'd waste buying extra light tasting olive oil like 3 times a week!

I was going to make homemade mayo this week, and then I got to the store and found that avocado oil was $8.99 and a huge thing of organic compliant mayo was $3.99. I had no shame in taking the easy way out this time!

1 hour ago, elizabeth.joan said:

How much is a lot? I usually have 1/4 avocado with just about every meal :)

3 hours ago, RroseR said:

So far, so good on Day 8.  I made the skillet butter chicken last night from the fast and easy cookbook and it was bomb. Highly recommend. 

A little cooking snafu. We wanted to make bbq chicken since we got an instant pot and we couldn't find Tessamae's anywhere in the stores, and wanted to do it for meal prep...so I found one recipe online that had unsweetened applesauce in it (dates make me sick) and it was just okay. And then once we heated it up...it tasted terrible! Lol.  But, I added a little bit of Primal Paleo ranch and it tasted better...but it was a lot of work for something not as good.

Anyone try the tessamae one? 

I've tried the Tessamae ranch. It's okay, but I honestly don't love it.  If you're expecting ranch, you won't get it. Tastes like coconut milk with herbs.

3 hours ago, JohannaE said:

I've tried the Tessamae ranch. It's okay, but I honestly don't love it.  If you're expecting ranch, you won't get it. Tastes like coconut milk with herbs.

Try the Primal Kitchen ranch dressing. It is so good. Its perfect in a salad. (accidentally called it primal paleo before)

On 1/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, OHMaryF said:

I have been very busy at work this past week, but my Whole 30 is going well. I did have a headache and did not feel well last Friday. I took it easy in the afternoon and took a long nap then went to bed early. I have noticed a return to feeling a "good" hungry in the morning. 

I was also able to attend Melissa's book tour stop in D.C. last night. It was an interesting discussion format talk.  I learned about a few local resources for food and Whole 30 friendly restaurants. The issue of inclusion and availability. For economic the expense issue and Melissa agreed that for some, that is very real. One of the coaches is focused on helping people complete Whole 30 just shopping at Aldi (hurray) and Walmart. For  gender- mostly women were there and seem to post on social media but men do Whole30.  The publication of the books in Spanish is pending as Melissa was able to find a publisher to do it. There was also discussion on what we could do to pass (and ways) to pass the word on the word to others.

Thanks for this. Dc is my home town! Hugs from a little farther up I-95

17 hours ago, dianne m said:

Oh wow.   I had/have something similar, too.  Thought it was just me.   I feel like I have ground beef or steak breath all the time.  Brushing teeth helps, but not always practical (if out running errands).   I found that drinking lime/mint sparkling water helps (that is what is available to me during the day).  I am hoping it doesn't last forever... anyone know?  Thank you.

Just saw an answer above... thank you ShannonM816. 

I think I’m experiencing this on some days when coffee tastes horrible. Some days it tastes ok, some days sour or bitter... I’m driving my husband crazy. 

Last night we had a sheet tray meal- chicken breast coated in ground up cashews and on a separate tray cauliflower, tomato, onion with curry powder. At the end you add fresh cucumber, mint, and cilantro. Pretty tasty. The fresh stuff on top of the cooked was new and good. I have a few hours to pack and get to the airport for my trip to Egypt :( after saying goodbye to my daughter this morning. Keep going everybody. 

15 hours ago, cescaw said:

Hi Everyone!  I haven't posted in a few days, but things are going well.  I definitely had some fatigue issues late last week and over the weekend, but I'm feeling really good now.  I sure enjoy seeing the support and encouragement on this board and love hearing about recipes people are using.  My husband has today off work so he's making XO Pork with Blistered Green Beans from Michelle Tam's new cookbook "Ready or Not"  for dinner tonight.  I can't wait!  :-)

Love both her cookbooks and her website. 

12 hours ago, JohannaE said:

I was going to make homemade mayo this week, and then I got to the store and found that avocado oil was $8.99 and a huge thing of organic compliant mayo was $3.99. I had no shame in taking the easy way out this time!

No shame at all! What brand of mayo was it?! That's an amazing price!

Pan seared mahi mahi for dinner. Made it with ghee and squeezed lemon on top. Ate a side of roasted root vegetable medley, with curry sauce. Was awesome !!!!

If you havent used ghee before, i highly recommend it.

If i cook like this every night - whole 30 will be a breeze.

Archived