Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

23 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Yesterday was a tough one for me too! Had really low energy all day, and when I got home from work was suuuper extra bloated and just felt gross.

I have been bloated (and extra gassy :blink:) the past few days!  I've eaten different stuff each day, so I can't really pinpoint what has caused it, but I'm not liking it at all!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meal 1 this morning was 1.5 cups of this recipe https://boysahoy.com/whole30-slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chili-recipe/.  I left out the bell peppers and put it over spaghetti squash.  Forgot to add a fat.

Meal 2 is 1.5 cups of https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/, a serving of the No Fuss Salmon Cakes, and a container of olives-to-go.

Meal 3 will be steamed yellow squash and pork chops simmered in orange juice.  I'll add some olive oil to the pan after the chops are done and reduce it down till it's thickened.

I'll get the hang of the template before the end of the 30 days...

44 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

Yesterday was tough and probably my worst day template-wise.... 

Thank you for the tips and encouragement. I'll have to check out that beef stew. I made some compliant beef stew this week and it was delicious, but I wouldn't mind trying another recipe.

52 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Yesterday was a tough one for me too! Had really low energy all day, and when I got home from work was super extra bloated and just felt gross. 

51 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Sorry you are experiencing this, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these weird digestive symptoms! I guess "bloated" is the right word - I've never really had this before.

28 minutes ago, Mousey14 said:

I have been bloated (and extra gassy :blink:) the past few days!  I've eaten different stuff each day, so I can't really pinpoint what has caused it, but I'm not liking it at all!

I'm having the exact same thing, and I'm not liking it either! Hope we will both improve in the next day or two.

Have been having tough days here too, got up to go to the gym this morning and was so exhausted I turned around and went back to bed for another hour! So good to hear how others are pushing through. Feeling very puffy tonight, and really hit the wall at 2pm today. I think potatos aren’t helping me so will cut those out for the rest of the program  

thanks all for the inspiration to keep going, I was having serious thoughts tonight about a swan dive off the program and into a bowl of ranch dip and ruffles potato chips! But y’all are right, we’re almost half way and haven’t really given it a chance so I. Will. Stay. Strong!

1 minute ago, DebCoop109 said:

..... But y’all are right, we’re almost half way and haven’t really given it a chance so I. Will. Stay. Strong!

I’m sorry that you are struggling, but am glad I’m not the only one! Yes, stay strong. We are too far in to turn back now!

I find it funny how accurate the day-to-day description in the Whole30 book applies to me. I have been going from exhausted to moody to discouraged to currently having weird dreams about eating all the things! But overall, I feel really good being on the program. Most importantly, I have struggled with a tendonitis in my knee for months. Rest and physiotherapy did not work. The day before I started the Whole30, I could barely run 3 kilometers without being in pain. Last week I did 6 kilometers almost entirely pain free! I can't wait to see how my next run will go :) On a different note, have any of you seen this expert assessment of the Whole30, among others? https://health.usnews.com/best-diet At first, I was quite discouraged and confused, given that the expert panel found the Whole30 to be among the worst of the worst in matters of a healthy diet...However, upon further reading, I find the various assessments of the different "diets" inconsistent. I also found there to be a misunderstanding about what the Whole30 is and what it is intended to achieve. In any event and most importantly, I feel really good doing the Whole30 :)

53 minutes ago, DeeZaftig said:

Me too!  I dreamed I ate two bites of a cookie - YIKES!  I'm still debating if it's cheating if you dream eat!   :o

He he, me too! I woke up feeling really guilty. Took me a minute or two to convince myself that everything is ok ;)

6 minutes ago, NoSugarJustSpice said:

Fry your eggs on a very low heat. Let the pan heat up to the LOW heat. Put your ghee/oil in the pan and let it melt. Put your eggs into the pan and let them fry slowly. Don’t be afraid to add a little extra oil and just let them simmer. When it’s time to flip, they will come right up.

I will give it a whirl. I turned it down a little bit,  probably needs more. Thanks!

Happy Day 12 everyone!  I'm at the stage where I Iook at myself in the mirror and think: "Aren't I supposed to be seeing changes by now?" I still look the same!  Tummy is still poofy and I don't feel my clothes are fitting any better... seems like some of you are having the same issues?  Maybe I'm just wishing for results too soon?  

I feel good, and my cravings for wine have got a heck of a lot better (yea!)  Having said that, I am avoiding social events because I don't trust myself that much yet. I can handle the office with its bagels, cream cheese, ever-flowing goldfish and bowls full of chocolate... somehow, I can breeze past all that without worrying about caving into temptation as I munch my hardboiled egg and DNX bar.  BUT, if I go to friends and they are all drinking wine/sparkling wine/champagne, I just don't think I can do that yet.  I do have a big social function I've been invited to on January 27 which will be Day 26 for us, and I'm hoping by then I will be strong enough to sip sparkling water and smile.  Hey, maybe I'll even be able to fit into a dress that's too tight for me by then?

It seems my go-to dish is the shepherd's pie.  I think its the fact that in one dish there's meat, potatoes and veggies, and I made a huge batch again 2 days ago, mixing up the veggies so I added onions, carrots, celery, and leeks with the ground beef and regular potatoes on top with a few slices of compliant salami. I never knew that using salami as a topping while baking was so delicious!  It gets all crispy and yummy.  The pie fills you up so much and it's all good stuff.

Thanks to everyone for all these great posts - so wonderful to read the experiences!

@DoodleJo  guess I worded that wrong...you dont have to tweak so much as make sure you use cacao not cocoa which they do mention in the recipe. 

@Garden Gal I love shashuska! I make it as a breakfast dish and bake an egg or two in it. YUM.

I definitely hit the hardest days with a vengeance. Cried over my husband bringing a hoagie ( a kind I dont even like btw) into the house. He did feel bad and didnt eat if in front of me but the lingering smell in the fridge didnt help!

Im proud to say Im still making the right choices and eating the right things. Ive really really struggled with eating 3 meals a day 4-5 hours apart. It just seems something is always coming up sabotaging my carefully laid plans :(

omg, I’ve been having strange dreams too... not about eating non-plan food, rather they’re very intense. Usually running from something (the other night it was a hovering helicopter that went completely silent, had to find a hiding place from it.). Perhaps it’s bad habits chasing me? :)

Not seeing physical changes yet either, but despite being tired I do feel better. Like my body is cleaning itself out. Spent some time on the troubleshooting section of the forum and will be focusing on more water to help the process. 

This morning am planning out the week’s meals then heading out to grocery shop for my weekly cooking session tomorrow. It’s much easier than at the start because I know what I like and how much to make, then how to plan for end of week when stuff prepared on Sunday is gone or past it’s fridge date.

Onward! 

4 minutes ago, WholeCourtney said:

@DoodleJo  guess I worded that wrong...you dont have to tweak so much as make sure you use cacao not cocoa which they do mention in the recipe. 

@Garden Gal I love shashuska! I make it as a breakfast dish and bake an egg or two in it. YUM.

I definitely hit the hardest days with a vengeance. Cried over my husband bringing a hoagie ( a kind I dont even like btw) into the house. He did feel bad and didnt eat if in front of me but the lingering smell in the fridge didnt help!

Im proud to say Im still making the right choices and eating the right things. Ive really really struggled with eating 3 meals a day 4-5 hours apart. It just seems something is always coming up sabotaging my carefully laid plans :(

Thanks Courtney, I’m heading to Trader Joe’s today to stick up and cacao is on my list. Anxious to try this recipe. 

I’m making chili again today, but I’m adding more veggies to it and adding a tablespoon of cayenne. The first pot was pretty mild.  I have lamb shoulder chops defrosting. I’ll be braising them this afternoon. I think Italian. Today is full of basketball games with the grandkids, so I watch a game, rush home and get something cooking, rush out to a game and repeat! 

I think I feel better.  Less bloated. I didn’t weigh before I started this, so I wouldn’t know if I’ve actually lost any weight. I definitely need to, but I think I’ll just focus on eating better, then go on to portion control after the 30 days. 

Last week, I threw a prepped meal in the freezer. So glad I did because there wouldn’t have been much for lunch today. Roasted pork chop, sweet potato with ghee, green beans and an apple. 

I have Achilles tendinitis in my left foot, so I haven’t been able to get in as much walking as I would like. Once that is taken care of, I should be able to get on track!

22 hours ago, racheleats said:

@GayeC @Mousey14 the first thing i always cut out is uncooked veggies like salad greens and nuts. Those are the worst on my stomach...it's also close to my time of the month so I know that's affecting me as well. Just keep drinking tons of water and it will pass!! Tiger blood is coming :) 

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of "tiger blood!"

1 hour ago, LagunaRover said:

Happy Day 12 everyone!  I'm at the stage where I Iook at myself in the mirror and think: "Aren't I supposed to be seeing changes by now?" I still look the same!  Tummy is still poofy and I don't feel my clothes are fitting any better... 

I'm having the same feeling - "shouldn't these jeans be a little bit looser by now?!?!"

Archived