Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on day 14 and I'm still having crazy sugar cravings, and my body's fighting the urge to snack around 2 and after dinner. I'm trying REALLY hard not to snack at all, especially with fruit, but I am worried the desire will never go away. Should I go a little longer than 30 days, any tips from people who've done whole 30 more than once?

1 hour ago, amandaosuna10 said:

I'm on day 14 and I'm still having crazy sugar cravings, and my body's fighting the urge to snack around 2 and after dinner. I'm trying REALLY hard not to snack at all, especially with fruit, but I am worried the desire will never go away. Should I go a little longer than 30 days, any tips from people who've done whole 30 more than once?

This is my 3rd whole 30 (I've done 1 for the past 3 years) and every time I do it, I'm reminded of the kind of power sugar has over me. It never gets easier for me because over the course of the year, I inevitably give in and let my sweet tooth run rampant and make some not-so-excellent choices. So when I do a whole 30, I'm extra vigilant about not letting sugar/fruit weasel it's way back onto my plate. This has to be a full-on reset for me. Fruit is optional in very small qtys (1/4 to 1/3 of a cup) with meals. I usually choose berries/apple. And limited sweet potatoes and very few if any nuts and definitely no snacking (fruit, larbars, RX bars or otherwise) unless it's an emergency. I sound kind of hardline but that's completely based on my relationship with sugar. It's a formidable dragon for me.

Doing a whole 30 makes me very much aware of all my crutches (for lack of a better word) and better prepares/equips me about how my body feels when it's happily fueled vs how my body feels when my cravings are making my food choices. It's easy to forget or blur the difference. When I'm done my 30 days this round, I plan to loosen up a bit ie strict 80% of the time, relaxed 20%. But I'll try my best to keep any kind of sugar consumption reduced dramatically.

ps. Are you getting enough healthy fat in your meals? That'll play a critical role in satiety (and curb snack cravings).

7 hours ago, evaq said:

This is my 3rd whole 30 (I've done 1 for the past 3 years) and every time I do it, I'm reminded of the kind of power sugar has over me. It never gets easier for me because over the course of the year, I inevitably give in and let my sweet tooth run rampant and make some not-so-excellent choices. So when I do a whole 30, I'm extra vigilant about not letting sugar/fruit weasel it's way back onto my plate. This has to be a full-on reset for me. Fruit is optional in very small qtys (1/4 to 1/3 of a cup) with meals. I usually choose berries/apple. And limited sweet potatoes and very few if any nuts and definitely no snacking (fruit, larbars, RX bars or otherwise) unless it's an emergency. I sound kind of hardline but that's completely based on my relationship with sugar. It's a formidable dragon for me.

Doing a whole 30 makes me very much aware of all my crutches (for lack of a better word) and better prepares/equips me about how my body feels when it's happily fueled vs how my body feels when my cravings are making my food choices. It's easy to forget or blur the difference. When I'm done my 30 days this round, I plan to loosen up a bit ie strict 80% of the time, relaxed 20%. But I'll try my best to keep any kind of sugar consumption reduced dramatically.

ps. Are you getting enough healthy fat in your meals? That'll play a critical role in satiety (and curb snack cravings).

Amen! I have such a huge sweet tooth. I turn to sugar to celebrate, when I have a bad day, when I'm bored, or any other reason. I love how during W30 I stop thinking about an after-dinner treat and other ways of coping. I really want to bring those different responses into the future (distract, take a walk, etc.) that I never seem to follow through with otherwise... This is my second (or partial third, since I did a "short one" once) go -around, and for me, it's been the most positive, or easiest, or something. I still feel energized and hopeful to see what improvements come each day, and not counting the seconds until it's done. Nut- hooray for this group: we're 1/2-way there!!!!! Congrats!

DAY 15!  Half way through - feels very liberating.

My main fiery dragon is cheese.  So, I am trying to be super conscious of how good all these whole foods are tasting without parmesan or shredded cheddar.  Weirdest revelation for me this past two weeks is that I am actually enjoying my black coffee in the morning.  I don't think I will go back to adding milk.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I came into work this morning to find donuts in our conference room. I had to move them because I was able to see them from my desk. Not today, Dunkin Donuts. Not today! It’s testing my self-control for sure. 

This just reminded me that I used to work in a department where I had a "u" shaped desk and every time anyone brought food in, the office used one of the branches of my "U" to put it all on. Apparently the girl before me loved it but I HATED it. Get that crap away from me! Not only are you sitting near it all day but then you have people milling about eating 2 feet behind your head. It was the worst! I eventually removed that branch of the U and put up another wall. LOL!

Guys, Im so upset. Discovered last night that my fridge is on the fritz. Had to throw nearly everything away. Assuming my husband (with the help of the local repair place) diagnosed the problem correctly the part wont be in until Thursday/Friday. I have no idea how to stay complaint when it looks like I'll be eating take out for the next few days. 

I'll take any tips or advice if you've been there and done that.

@WholeCourtney - what a bummer.  an expensive bummer.  so sorry this is happening.  you might try finding a takeout place that has 100% grass fed beef/organic chicken and get all the raw veggies with it.  can you shop like a European, each day for just enough for that day/meal?  

Ugh. Just found out my coconut milk has sulphites!  Thought Inhad bought a bunch that was compliant. 

I’ve only used it twice. Both times for soups. Do I need to start over?!?!?  Or can I just keep going. Serious panic moment here!!  Other than that I’ve been perfect. Even when eating out!

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

@WholeCourtney - do you have any precooking done already? Throw it into coolers with ice. 

Eggs even if not cooked are likely fine and don't need to be chucked. 

Sorry, this sucks!

Saved the eggs! Since I have the luxury of working from home I cook everything to order :( I did save some leftover sauces.

Once I calmed down from the initial freakout I realized I can make this work. I have a mini fridge that my eggs and sauces are living in along with a 2 expensive cuts of beef that I shoved in the little freezer compartment. I can have eggs every morning and if I have to I can shop everyday and store the leftovers from Meal 2 for Meal 3. 

On a positive note I found the part I (hopefully) need at a local store so if my husband is able to fix it tonight I may have a working fridge sooner rather then later.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, WholeCourtney said:

Saved the eggs! Since I have the luxury of working from home I cook everything to order :( I did save some leftover sauces.

Once I calmed down from the initial freakout I realized I can make this work. I have a mini fridge that my eggs and sauces are living in along with a 2 expensive cuts of beef that I shoved in the little freezer compartment. I can have eggs every morning and if I have to I can shop everyday and store the leftovers from Meal 2 for Meal 3. 

On a positive note I found the part I (hopefully) need at a local store so if my husband is able to fix it tonight I may have a working fridge sooner rather then later.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!! Good for reassessing and realizing it's not thaaaaaaaaaat bad!

30 minutes ago, Whole Joy said:

Ugh. Just found out my coconut milk has sulphites!  Thought Inhad bought a bunch that was compliant. 

I’ve only used it twice. Both times for soups. Do I need to start over?!?!?  Or can I just keep going. Serious panic moment here!!  Other than that I’ve been perfect. Even when eating out!

I wouldnt start over. I would extend my Whole30 by 15 days. So rather then looking at it as Day 1 of 30 think of it as Day 15 of 45. Little less painful that way.

12 minutes ago, WholeCourtney said:

I wouldnt start over. I would extend my Whole30 by 15 days. So rather then looking at it as Day 1 of 30 think of it as Day 15 of 45. Little less painful that way.

Thanks so much, but isn't extending the same as starting over? :-)  I almost feel like it's #4 situation of the "do I really have to start my whole30 over" as I didn't knowingly have sulphites.  So frustrating as literally spent 30 minutes at a restaurant yesterday ensuring there was nothing in any of the food I was eating.  And sulphites aren't a trigger food for me.  :-) . Although no doubt don't want them in my diet.  So tied here as we have a commitment on the 3rd of February and will be next to impossible to still be doing whole30 full force then.  \

Here's a question, can you extend just one part of your whole30?  For example can I extend the avoiding of sulphites for the extra 15 days while doing reintroduction for the other items slowly?

Man, I just can't stop kicking myself for not rereading the label.  I was sure I read it like 30 times!  :-(

On a positive note:  turned the slow cooker buffalo chicken into a creamy soup!  1 recipe with 1 can coconut milk, 8 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp. salt, and thickened with 4 T of arrowroot powder.  Cut a whole avocado and put it in the bowl and topped with the soup.  Yum!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Whole Joy said:

Thanks so much, but isn't extending the same as starting over? :-)  I almost feel like it's #4 situation of the "do I really have to start my whole30 over" as I didn't knowingly have sulphites.  So frustrating as literally spent 30 minutes at a restaurant yesterday ensuring there was nothing in any of the food I was eating.  And sulphites aren't a trigger food for me.  :-) . Although no doubt don't want them in my diet.  So tied here as we have a commitment on the 3rd of February and will be next to impossible to still be doing whole30 full force then.  \

Here's a question, can you extend just one part of your whole30?  For example can I extend the avoiding of sulphites for the extra 15 days while doing reintroduction for the other items slowly?

Man, I just can't stop kicking myself for not rereading the label.  I was sure I read it like 30 times!  :-(

How do you know sulphites aren't a trigger food for you?  Do you mean that they don't trigger cravings?  In that case, I doubt they're a trigger food for anyone... but sulphites can be really hard on people... For instance, for me, I can't eat grapes (which the growers spray with sulphites in their infancy stage) because I'm so sensitive to them that they make me itch so bad I claw myself bloody... 

Extending is the same as starting over but it's often easier on the psyche :)

9 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

This just reminded me that I used to work in a department where I had a "u" shaped desk and every time anyone brought food in, the office used one of the branches of my "U" to put it all on. Apparently the girl before me loved it but I HATED it. Get that crap away from me! Not only are you sitting near it all day but then you have people milling about eating 2 feet behind your head. It was the worst! I eventually removed that branch of the U and put up another wall. LOL!

That sounds awful! All day I saw people going in and out of the conference room to snack from my office. Part of me was happy to not be one of them. The key and true test will be not getting up to join them once the Whole30 is over! 

3 hours ago, Whole Joy said:

Don't beat yourself up. You've rocked it for 15 days! I personally wouldn't start over. You used the coconut milk twice and you had no idea it had small amounts of sulfites in it. Honestly, I would guess that most people who do Whole30 mess up a couple times without even knowing it - especially if they eat out even once. Ditch it, buy some coconut milk without sulfites, continue on your way and pat yourself on the back when you finish your Whole30 in 15 days. If it makes you feel better to do another 15 days without sulfites, go for it!

My best friend just asked me to host her husbands birthday at my house, our home is huge and built for entertaining, we live in a resort community and her place is an RV, so I said yes, of course, it's his 60th.  I think I can pull this off tho, with just a few adjustment.  I'll need to do the cooking of course, and make lots of tasty things that are compliant for the hubs and I, along with everyone bringing something to share.  My question....my husband wants buffalo wings and I found a recipe for them that uses arrowroot instead of baking powder, which has cornstarch as a filler, is arrowroot compliant? Or has anyone used the Hain Pure Foods baking powder?  It has monocalcium phosphate, potato starch and potassium bicarbonate as the ingredients, which are compliant, but its $9 a can from Amazon, yikes!!!

Also I would appreciate any appetizer ideas you guys may have, wish me luck:)

6 minutes ago, DoodleJo said:

My best friend just asked me to host her husbands birthday at my house, our home is huge and built for entertaining, we live in a resort community and her place is an RV, so I said yes, of course, it's his 60th.  I think I can pull this off tho, with just a few adjustment.  I'll need to do the cooking of course, and make lots of tasty things that are compliant for the hubs and I, along with everyone bringing something to share.  My question....my husband wants buffalo wings and I found a recipe for them that uses arrowroot instead of baking powder, which has cornstarch as a filler, is arrowroot compliant? Or has anyone used the Hain Pure Foods baking powder?  It has monocalcium phosphate, potato starch and potassium bicarbonate as the ingredients, which are compliant, but its $9 a can from Amazon, yikes!!!

Also I would appreciate any appetizer ideas you guys may have, wish me luck:)

@Doodlejo, Arrowroot is compliant. 

@doodlejo:  bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp or scallops or dates with an almond in the middle (instead of blue cheese).  party wings marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and lemon, then grilled.   your standard veggie plate and just make some special ranch dip for you & the hubs.   little meatballs in tomato sauce.   

also, i made the buffalo wings from the W30 book (p 304) and they were pretty good - i am not a fan of coconut, but if i just made them with ghee instead, i think they would have been perfect.  also, maybe search online for whole 30 appetizers - there are some great blogs out there.  good luck!

Archived