Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, WholeCourtney said:

it never would have occurred to me that baking soda was off limits

Just to clarify in case you misread her post, and for other folks who may see this post --- baking SODA is ok as it's just sodium bicarbonate, it's baking POWDER that has the cornstarch.

I've tried two new dinner recipes this week and both were a hit at my house!  They were super easy as well, which as we all know, is always nice!  Thought I'd share them here in case anyone is interested!

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/06/13/20170613sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas-avocado-crema  (I did not make her Avocado Crema, instead I made the Creamy Avocado Sauce from Stupid Easy Paleo: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2016/03/12/chicken-fajitas-recipe/)

http://www.justjessieb.com/2018/01/hawaiian-bbq-chicken-bowls-whole30.html

These two are both going to go on rotation!  I hope you enjoy them too!

Ugh... back to being puffy today (can't wedding rings don't want to go on this morning). I think it's raisins.... they're the only thing "different" from what I've been eating other days and which I'd substituted into a recipe because I couldn't find unsweetened cranberries in a local grocery store to save my life. Found them on Amazon and they arrive tomorrow, will see if/how things change with cutting them out.

Lesson learned - need to keep listening to the body through the process! 

12 hours ago, DoodleJo said:

My question....my husband wants buffalo wings and I found a recipe for them that uses arrowroot instead of baking powder, which has cornstarch as a filler, is arrowroot compliant? Or has anyone used the Hain Pure Foods baking powder?  It has monocalcium phosphate, potato starch and potassium bicarbonate as the ingredients, which are compliant, but its $9 a can from Amazon, yikes!!!

Also I would appreciate any appetizer ideas you guys may have, wish me luck:)

I made these wings last year for the Super Bowl (I started my first Whole 30 mid January last year). They were good. 

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/paleo-buffalo-chicken-wings/

HI Everyone!  I finally read through all the post.  I love all the information and inspiration!

This is my 4th whole30.  I did my first last April, then July and then half of October.  Looking forward to seeing it all the way through this month!  I definitely feel better after eating whole30 compliant.  October was a hard month because it is my birthday and halloween.  My husband is doing this with me and that makes it much easier. 

I have been craving sugar like crazy! I am also craving an alcoholic beverage.

The hardest part of this process for me is the reintroduction. One new food at a time is hard.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DebCoop109 said:

Ugh... back to being puffy today (can't wedding rings don't want to go on this morning). I think it's raisins.... they're the only thing "different" from what I've been eating other days and which I'd substituted into a recipe because I couldn't find unsweetened cranberries in a local grocery store to save my life. Found them on Amazon and they arrive tomorrow, will see if/how things change with cutting them out.

Lesson learned - need to keep listening to the body through the process! 

Check the raisins for added sulphites which can cause reactions in people... even if they don't have added sulphites, grapes and then raisins have naturally occurring sulphites so it might be that you (like me) are extremely sensitive to them...

Thanks for the raisin tip. I triple checked the ingredients and no added sulphites so I think you're right  and it's just naturally occurring stuff in them. I've been drinking lots of fluids this morning and already feeling puffiness going down which is further convincing me it was a yesterday thing. Boo....I like raisins, bummed they (apparently) don't like me back! :) 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, DebCoop109 said:

Thanks for the raisin tip. I triple checked the ingredients and no added sulphites so I think you're right  and it's just naturally occurring stuff in them. I've been drinking lots of fluids this morning and already feeling puffiness going down which is further convincing me it was a yesterday thing. Boo....I like raisins, bummed they (apparently) don't like me back! :) 

You might try doing a reintro of raisins or grapes when you do your reintroduction and see how they affect you... but definitely for now leave them out and see if it resolves :)

Day 16 - how is everyone feeling?  Does anyone have "tiger blood" yet? I guess I'm still waiting for the big changes but for me this all seems to be happening, well, glacially... I mean I feel good on the inside and my cravings have dissipated a lot, (other than wine - what is it with you, wine!!??) but no sudden bursts of energy, no clothes fitting better and no one has said anything to me about me looking different.

Last night I actually went out in the evening for the first time to my monthly book club, which in essence is all about drinking and talking over good food. I took a new batch of compliant shepherd's pie, which everyone just loved, and drank sparkling water all night.  I count that as success! Interestingly enough, another book club member said she is also doing the Whole 30 and she started on January 7 and has lost 7 pounds.

First of all - hey!  No weighing yourself! And I told her that but she just shrugged.  Second of all, people were telling her how good she looked.  When I mentioned I started  the same program on January 2, I got the "Have you lost any weight?" questions and quizzical looks.  "No idea" I answered honestly, since I haven't weighed myself.

Way to feel depressed when others have visible results in just over one week and I don't have any at all in just over 2 weeks... :-(

Oh well, onwards and upwards.  I'm still walking past bagels, pastries and cookies in the office without missing a thing... (*nibbles hard boiled eggs and salami while sipping black coffee...)

13 minutes ago, LagunaRover said:

Day 16 - how is everyone feeling?  Does anyone have "tiger blood" yet? I guess I'm still waiting for the big changes but for me this all seems to be happening, well, glacially... I mean I feel good on the inside and my cravings have dissipated a lot, (other than wine - what is it with you, wine!!??) but no sudden bursts of energy, no clothes fitting better and no one has said anything to me about me looking different.

Last night I actually went out in the evening for the first time to my monthly book club, which in essence is all about drinking and talking over good food. I took a new batch of compliant shepherd's pie, which everyone just loved, and drank sparkling water all night.  I count that as success! Interestingly enough, another book club member said she is also doing the Whole 30 and she started on January 7 and has lost 7 pounds.

First of all - hey!  No weighing yourself! And I told her that but she just shrugged.  Second of all, people were telling her how good she looked.  When I mentioned I started  the same program on January 2, I got the "Have you lost any weight?" questions and quizzical looks.  "No idea" I answered honestly, since I haven't weighed myself.

Way to feel depressed when others have visible results in just over one week and I don't have any at all in just over 2 weeks... :-(

Oh well, onwards and upwards.  I'm still walking past bagels, pastries and cookies in the office without missing a thing... (*nibbles hard boiled eggs and salami while sipping black coffee...)

Yeah, my clothes don't really feel much looser, either. Sounds like a huge success at Book Club regardless! And who knows when the outside changes will show. We are AMAZING and we are doing this!!! (And yes, sigh... wine.) ;) Keep up the good work!

On 1/14/2018 at 12:37 PM, RroseR said:

have some people in town tonight and we are going to a famous restaurant in my area that specializes in fried chicken sandwiches.  i am going to eat a big whole 30 meal before i go and just sit with them. worried that its going to be awkward for them eating in front of me, but there's not one thing on the menu that could even remotely be compliant. 

i am thinking they will understand and not feel bad about eating in front of me. we'll see how it goes.  the struggle is real!!

I was able to resist everything! I brought a banana just in case I was tempted, but I didn't even have to bust that out. I didn't even enjoy the smell of all the fried food.  It wasn't awkward, I just let them know I was doing the whole30, that I was 13 days in, and they understood. 

Loving this lifestyle! Don't wanna go back to what I was doing before. 

The other night I made the Thai Chicken and Brussel Sprouts skillet from the fast and easy cookbook and OMG it was so so good.  I can't even believe it!

Next challenge is that we are going out of town this weekend to San Francisco....going to be difficult. I am going to take some emergency snacks like an Epic bar only for emergencies. The flight is very short, so we don't have to eat in the airport, which is good. But I am worried about the restaurants. I know we have this one big reservation on Saturday night, so I just need to call ahead and see what they can do for me. 

Hoping yall are doing well!!

3 minutes ago, RroseR said:

I was able to resist everything! I brought a banana just in case I was tempted, but I didn't even have to bust that out. I didn't even enjoy the smell of all the fried food.  It wasn't awkward, I just let them know I was doing the whole30, that I was 13 days in, and they understood. 

Loving this lifestyle! Don't wanna go back to what I was doing before. 

The other night I made the Thai Chicken and Brussel Sprouts skillet from the fast and easy cookbook and OMG it was so so good.  I can't even believe it!

Next challenge is that we are going out of town this weekend to San Francisco....going to be difficult. I am going to take some emergency snacks like an Epic bar only for emergencies. The flight is very short, so we don't have to eat in the airport, which is good. But I am worried about the restaurants. I know we have this one big reservation on Saturday night, so I just need to call ahead and see what they can do for me. 

Hoping yall are doing well!!

Congratulations!  That's amazing - good for you! It's so inspirational reading about these successes.  Now, San Francisco will be a challenge but calling ahead to the restaurant is a great idea.  I'm a huge dim-sum lover and SF has the best dim-sum restaurants, but NONE of that is compliant! As long as it's not that, hopefully you'll be fine.  Keep us posted on what you actually choose to eat.  Thanks!

Happy day 16, I'm so pleased that I'm feeling in the swing of "doing it" even having had a cold most of the time.  Definitely feeling less puffy.  I've started considering doing a Whole 60...   I am 55 and it's now or never to get it together!!!

I was home yesterday with the arctic temps and I made Nom Nom Paleo's egg drop soup.  It was SO GOOD AND EASY!  And quick!  I love egg drop soup and this had been on my mind for awhile.  https://nomnompaleo.com/post/129592158903/simple-egg-drop-soup

I also found her Magic Mushroom spice blend at Whole Foods just now, and even a couple of her dishes on the hot bar!  Fun!  

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/09/06/20170906ready-for-another-whole-foods-takeover

Stay with it everyone!

25 minutes ago, BeckyB said:

Happy day 16, I'm so pleased that I'm feeling in the swing of "doing it" even having had a cold most of the time.  Definitely feeling less puffy.  I've started considering doing a Whole 60...   I am 55 and it's now or never to get it together!!!

I was home yesterday with the arctic temps and I made Nom Nom Paleo's egg drop soup.  It was SO GOOD AND EASY!  And quick!  I love egg drop soup and this had been on my mind for awhile.  https://nomnompaleo.com/post/129592158903/simple-egg-drop-soup

I also found her Magic Mushroom spice blend at Whole Foods just now, and even a couple of her dishes on the hot bar!  Fun!  

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/09/06/20170906ready-for-another-whole-foods-takeover

Stay with it everyone!

Thank you so much for sharing these recipes Becky! Definitely going to make the egg drop soup - sounds so simple! 

And I'm with you on considering extending the 30 to a 45 or a 60... I'm 54, almost 55, and the slow changes I'm seeing make me think I need to keep going with this, or at least the majority of the principles for as long as I can.  Hopefully we can stick with this forum even when our "official" 30 is done to keep in touch with others who may also want to extend and share results!

28 minutes ago, BeckyB said:

Stay with it everyone!

way to perservere even with a cold!

That egg drop soup looks delicious. I am going to save the recipe for the  next time have a cold or want Asian food. Our local Whole Foods is out of the Magic Mushroom spice blend, but they are hoping to have more later this week. I also need to follow up with them about the Wellshire or Pederson Farms sugar free bacon. They have other products, but not the sugar free.

5 minutes ago, LagunaRover said:

And I'm with you on considering extending the 30 to a 45 or a 60... I'm 54, almost 55, and the slow changes I'm seeing make me think I need to keep going with this, or at least the majority of the principles for as long as I can.  Hopefully we can stick with this forum even when our "official" 30 is done to keep in touch with others who may also want to extend and share results!

Too funny, I will also be 55 this year. I am going to do most of the reintroduction (legumes, grain, and dairy). My daughter's school has a fundraising even February 10, so I am going to attend and eat off program. I am going to start again on February 14 and do a Whole 30 as part of my Lenten observance. So if you, Becky B or anyone else extends to 60, I will be there for part of it with you. 

17 hours ago, DoodleJo said:

My best friend just asked me to host her husbands birthday at my house, our home is huge and built for entertaining, we live in a resort community and her place is an RV, so I said yes, of course, it's his 60th.  I think I can pull this off tho, with just a few adjustment.  I'll need to do the cooking of course, and make lots of tasty things that are compliant for the hubs and I, along with everyone bringing something to share.  My question....my husband wants buffalo wings and I found a recipe for them that uses arrowroot instead of baking powder, which has cornstarch as a filler, is arrowroot compliant? Or has anyone used the Hain Pure Foods baking powder?  It has monocalcium phosphate, potato starch and potassium bicarbonate as the ingredients, which are compliant, but its $9 a can from Amazon, yikes!!!

Also I would appreciate any appetizer ideas you guys may have, wish me luck:)

You can do it!!! Buffalo wings sound amazing. Thank goodness for Frank's. I also love these bacon wrapped dates as an appetizer!

3 minutes ago, OHMaryF said:

Too funny, I will also be 55 this year. I am going to do most of the reintroduction (legumes, grain, and dairy). My daughter's school has a fundraising even February 10, so I am going to attend and eat off program. I am going to start again on February 14 and do a Whole 30 as part of my Lenten observance. So if you, Becky B or anyone else extends to 60, I will be there for part of it with you. 

That's great Mary! (50-somethings unite!)

2 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

Seven pounds in a week?  Did she cut off an arm?

2 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

I have had some spirts of energy , but, I too am waiting on the tiger blood!!!!!   

Hang in there....you're doing great! Keep up the good work!

Oh and I also really miss red wine.hahahaha

Hi everyone! I am so excited to be 16 days on track! 

I love moving the bookmark in my Whole30 day by day! I can see how far I've come!

I am so amazed by the food freedom that I already feel!

I have been a carb and sugar addict my whole life! I'm 52 and have never had that monkey off my back.

This is truly amazing! 

I am still waiting on my tiger blood! 

Stay strong! We've got this!

@LagunaRover - I'm bummed about your post and the mixed night you had.  KUDOS FOR BRINGING THE SHEPHERD'S PIE AND SIPPING ON SPARKLING WATER!!  That is huge and inspirational!!  

Please don't give up.  People do lose weight in different amounts and some people exaggerate, too.  She may have had a lot of water to lose.  Shame on her for weighing herself!  (hope I am not offending anyone, but that is the hardest part of this for me so far - but I am sticking to it - used to the once a week weigh in at WW.)  Maybe others haven't seen her as recently as they've seen you.  Maybe it's flattering clothes.  Maybe people felt compelled to say something bc she brought it up first.  Whatever the situation - hang tough!!  No one has mentioned seeing any changes in me either... my rings are not looser, my face is not thinner.  Today, I feel really bloated.  But, my tendinitis is really laying low, and I'm seeing that as a huge victory.  Sleep is super important - are you getting a good night sleep every night?  

I think week 3 is going to seal the deal!  Two weeks away to the finish line! 

11 hours ago, dianne m said:

I think week 3 is going to seal the deal!  Two weeks away to the finish line! 

We are on the final push! I am definitely feeling less bloated. Still having some cravings for wine (especially after a challenging day at work, lol). I did have a burst of energy yesterday and did some needed house cleaning. I am hoping the energy burst sticks with me tonight. Today is the first day I was not as prepared with the breakfast and lunch I take to work. We are watching the daughter of friends, so I had two girls to get ready for school today. I decided to buy breakfast from a cafe near my work so I had two eggs and homefries, but they don't use butter or margarine. I am going to pre-pack everything for tomorrow.

Archived