Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe we’re going into the homestretch. Just wrapped up food prep for the week (Denver had a snowstorm today so hunkered down in the kitchen). It’s definitely getting easier and I was a better multitasker so it didn’t take so long. Unfortunately I didn’t feel great today...felt lightheaded a good bit of the day. I suspect I didn’t eat enough so just had a bigger than usual dinner with some fruit. Hopefully that’ll do the trick. 

Back from weekend with the gals and I did great!  I answered a bazillion questions cheerfully and no one tried to pressure me into drinking the wine - and I didn't feel like I was missing out for a second.  I stuck to tea and my protein salad, roasted butternut squash & other stuff I can't recall.  [I guess the brain fog hasn't quite lifted.  ^_^ ] 

Hey all - didn't it feel great to wake up to day 20?  HOME STRETCH!   I hope everyone has a great week!

8 hours ago, dianne m said:

Hey all - didn't it feel great to wake up to day 20?  HOME STRETCH!   I hope everyone has a great week!

Hurray for the HOME STRETCH!

I have enjoyed reading about all of the NSV's! I can still feel the call of sugar, but I have been ignoring and resisting. I found the Wellshire no sugar bacon and have some brussel sprouts, so I am looking forward to making brussel sprouts and bacon. I made butternut squash soup, turkey sausage patties, and sheet pan potatoes, so I have plenty of good food choices for this week. 

I made it through the NYC weekend without cheating, although let me tell you a glass of wine sure sounded nice! Questions and explaining at restaurants definitely detract from the dining out experience, and sometimes makes me wonder why I impost restrictions on myself to begin with - it's not that I want bread, or fries, or cheese, but making the chef make substitutions to avoid a little cooked down wine at a French restaurant just feels arbitrary. 

Apparently food boredom is normal around this time. I've experienced a little bit of it - especially around breakfast and when eating out, when options are fairly limited - but overall I'm excited about this week's meal plan.

Keep it up through this final stretch, y'all!

Hello all!  HUGE NSV for me last week... I made it through a week in the land of CHEESE CURDS, spent 15 hours in various airports on the 15th, lived in a hotel room for 4 days and, because I was prepared, I was able to stay 100% compliant and I feel FANTASTIC!!

Happy day 21, everyone!  Keep up the great work!

1 hour ago, Mousey14 said:

Hello all!  HUGE NSV for me last week... I made it through a week in the land of CHEESE CURDS, spent 15 hours in various airports on the 15th, lived in a hotel room for 4 days and, because I was prepared, I was able to stay 100% compliant and I feel FANTASTIC!!

Happy day 21, everyone!  Keep up the great work!

Good for you!  That sounds like my weekend coming up.  Going to my nieces wedding!  We are staying with friends so I will have access to her kitchen.  I'm planning on making extra food this week so I can take some prepared meals but I know we will be eating out some too.  When I started Whole30 on the 2nd, I thought I might just do a Whole27 so that I didn't have to be restricted at the wedding.  But now that it's close and I have the hang of the program, I am thinking if at all possible with the meal at the wedding I will be compliant! 

I have been feeling really good. Lots of NSVs for me... sleeping great at night, more energy, skin is better, inflammation is down, less moody :), just overall I feel awesome.  I made the kids no bakes the other night and didn't cheat, even though they smelled divine. I appreciated how wonderful the aroma was and then didn't think about it... it was great.  :) 

I didn't reintroduce properly during my last Whole 30 in July so I am hoping to do it right this time and not just go out and eat everything in sight.  I am reading Food Freedom Forever and just so appreciate Melissa's honesty and her healthy way of approaching diet/life.  I have never "dieted" before so this reset with Whole 30 (first  in July and again now) are the first extreme things I have ever done in regards to my eating habits.  I have always been fairly small but after six babies and now that I am nearing 40 my metabolism is definitely different.  Combine getting older with food allergies/sensitivities and daily life and I knew my body needed some TLC.  After doing a lot of research I settled on Whole 30.  I just love the Hartwig's honesty, their research, and the way they view the body as a whole and how to care for it.  The thing that gripped me the most was when they emphasized that this was not a weight loss plan and how it was more about improving overall health.  For me, living in a culture that is so weight obsessed, that was a breath of fresh air. 

Only 9 more days till reintroduction.  You guys are doing great!  :)

9 more days, y'all!!! Hope everyone is proud (I certainly am) to make it this far!

Howeverrrrrrrrrrr: I'm about to start my period, and I'm starting to get food cravings like no other! Sweets, junk food, snacks, you name it. I'm so proud of myself for making it this far (definitely can agree to @MaineacMom 's NSVs about more energy, better skin - I don't even feel the need to drink coffee anymore!), but need some support :unsure:

How have those of you who've already had your time of month dealt with cravings? Any tips for a newbie almost through her first Whole30?

Today I had my first serious sweets FOMO. Today we had our monthly bake off at work, and a colleague brought the most amazing looking cinnamon toast crunch cake, make with cinnamon cereal milk, cinnamon toast crunch brittle, and cream cheese frosting. Store bought doughnuts, cookies and baked goods don't appeal to me one bit - I've honestly never understood why you'd waste the calories - but I am a sucker for homemade... especially when it's my favorite childhood cereal as a cake!  But I suppose I escaped the 3:30pm sugar crash and 500+ calories, so that's a win!

9 hours ago, Crystalx said:

How have those of you who've already had your time of month dealt with cravings? Any tips for a newbie almost through her first Whole30?

I know this isn't helpful, but I simply cannot recall the last time I had my monthly visitor! :unsure:  But, I do sympathize, because been there.  done that.  and caved.  Do the spicey, herbal teas do any good?  Lemon water or tea have been my go tos this month.  Make sure you don't have anything in your environment - maybe buy some flowers to distract, and treat yourself  -  it's been a strong 3 weeks!!

You know what I really am missing?  Breath mints or gum!  More than just about anything.  It's the thing I reach for and stop in my tracks ... sure didn't think that was a downfall ... till today, it really hit.

I have to go away for 2 days for intense work thing - 2 day meeting; staying at a top notch hotel.  And I have the cooler packed.  I actually cut and served a gorgeous 5 layer chocolate cake today.  Not one crumb went in my mouth.  I didn't even lick the frosting off my fingers!  But, I really wanted gum.

14 hours ago, Crystalx said:

9 more days, y'all!!! Hope everyone is proud (I certainly am) to make it this far!

Howeverrrrrrrrrrr: I'm about to start my period, and I'm starting to get food cravings like no other! Sweets, junk food, snacks, you name it. I'm so proud of myself for making it this far (definitely can agree to @MaineacMom 's NSVs about more energy, better skin - I don't even feel the need to drink coffee anymore!), but need some support :unsure:

I've found that planning extra starchy carbs works for me, also just eating 'more' in general for the few days before  it's due seems to help. Sweet potatoes and ghee, maybe a bit extra protein too and you can never have too much broccoli in my opinion - obviously not everyone feels that way about broccoli though :)

(R4D21) 

9 more days! My husband and I sat here and said that same thing. But then, I said, “9 more days until what?” What is it that we can’t wait for, that we can get in 9 Days? 

Are we excited to go back to feeling lethargic and sick? Fat and bloated? Foggy and fragile?

No. So, we have to sort out what our plan is after 9 days. Put it in writing (like one other Whole30-er did.) and REMEMBER why we took the plunge in the first place. 

When I don’t mind doing dishes at 9:00pm, and I’ve even got energy for more after that I know I am on the right track! 

49 minutes ago, NoSugarJustSpice said:

(R4D21) 

9 more days! My husband and I sat here and said that same thing. But then, I said, “9 more days until what?” What is it that we can’t wait for, that we can get in 9 Days? 

Are we excited to go back to feeling lethargic and sick? Fat and bloated? Foggy and fragile?

No. So, we have to sort out what our plan is after 9 days. Put it in writing (like one other Whole30-er did.) and REMEMBER why we took the plunge in the first place. 

When I don’t mind doing dishes at 9:00pm, and I’ve even got energy for more after that I know I am on the right track! 

I feel you on this one! Every time I've done Whole30, I've kept up the paleo diet for a while and then slowly the old habits have come back. I still think in the scheme of things I'm a pretty healthy eater (I'm pretty good at asking myself "is it worth it?", but I'd like to see what my body would do if I make paleo a longer term lifestyle.  I actually wrote down rules I'd like to try to follow post Whole30 yesterday, that I'm hoping are ones that can be sustainable long term.

Eat paleo 80% of the time (paleo - not Whole30! I will not be asking about ingredients at restaurants, and will allow some "SWYPO" items and certain added sugars in my home):

-4 meals a week that aren't paleo (I'm not talking disgusting binge cheat meals where I stuff myself full, just allowing non-compliant ingredients)
-Drinking more than 1 glass of red wine counts as one of these 4 meals
-Dessert or a treat more than one square of dark chocolate a day counts as one of those meals
-Maintain "no snacking"  rule
-Drink (more than 1 glass of red wine) no more than 2 days / week
-Permanently out of my diet: sugar-free maple syrup, fake protein bars like Quest

Is this sustainable? Has anyone tried anything similar? 

3 hours ago, JohannaE said:

Eat paleo 80% of the time (paleo - not Whole30! I will not be asking about ingredients at restaurants, and will allow some "SWYPO" items and certain added sugars in my home):

-4 meals a week that aren't paleo (I'm not talking disgusting binge cheat meals where I stuff myself full, just allowing non-compliant ingredients)
-Drinking more than 1 glass of red wine counts as one of these 4 meals
-Dessert or a treat more than one square of dark chocolate a day counts as one of those meals
-Maintain "no snacking"  rule
-Drink (more than 1 glass of red wine) no more than 2 days / week
-Permanently out of my diet: sugar-free maple syrup, fake protein bars like Quest

Is this sustainable? Has anyone tried anything similar? 

I don't know if it's sustainable for everyone, and I've never tried it, but it sounds like a great plan to me! 

21 hours ago, Crystalx said:

I am just going through the same. Massive cravings for anything sweet. It usually helps me to inhale some peppermint essential oil. I like to put a little bit of it just between my upper lip and nose. Drinking warm herbal tea also helps I find.

I think I am experiencing the opposite of Tiger Blood at the moment. I feel so, so tired all the time. I also feel very hungry even though I am eating plenty of food. Is anybody experiencing the same or does anybody have some advice? 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:03 AM, diamonds422 said:

That's wonderful. The Whole30 helps me with my mental health, too. It's not a complete cure for me either, but it makes a huge difference.

Y'all, I would just like to echo again how freaking amazing Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili is. I made a double batch a couple days ago and usually I freeze half, but this time my husband and I are just eating our way through it! Let it simmer as long as possible and you will really taste the difference. I like to throw a big handful of fresh spinach in my bowl and mix it in to get more veggies in there.

Tonight I'll be making Nom Nom Paleo's sheet pan chicken fajitas with avocado crema. I'll report back and let everyone know how it is. It's only now, on my fourth Whole30, that I'm getting the hang of cooking on a schedule without it taking over my life or randomly running out of food in the middle of the week. Practice makes perfect, I guess!

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/06/13/20170613sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas-avocado-crema

The marinade was good, but other than that, this was pretty meh. And the avocado crema, which had some coconut milk in it, tasted strongly of coconut. The taste wasn't camouflaged by the other ingredients at all. Next time I would sub mayo for the coconut milk. Oh well, there's something for everyone!

On 1/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, MaineacMom said:

They are using compliant ingredients but making pancakes and muffins and other things that look delish but I am going strict W30 so I share posts of my avocados and sweet potatoes with eggs and roasted veggies, or my big ol' taco salad.  I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it.  For some reason, it's been harder this time around.  (This is my second whole 30).  I don't know if it is because it is winter and I live in a cold state and just want comfort food lately or what but boy, I have to give myself pep talks all day long.  

I know people who do the Whole30 like this. I keep my mouth shut because at the end of the day it's none of my business, but sometimes I am tempted to tell them that what they are doing is not the Whole30, it's just paleo.

21 hours ago, Crystalx said:

So for me to fight off the food cravings during that blessed time of the month, I have found Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice tea helps me.  I also whipped up some sweet potatoes with coconut milk and cinnamon for a kind of side dish that was comforting.  Definitely ate more carbs on the side (sweet potatoes), healthy fats (avocado with lime juice and salt), and made sure to take some "me time".  Just enjoying a good book with a warm rice sock on my back while sipping my tea went a long way.  I loved @dianne m suggestion of buying yourself flowers! :)   Wishing you the best on your journey Crystalx , you are doing great!

The smell of maple syrup is wafting up to my office from the break room, and I wish it weren't. I was in a huge rush and didn't get to have more than a few bites of breakfast, so that's the only reason I'm having such a strong reaction. It's not even real, it's the Aunt Jemima stuff, I'm sure of it.

Ahhhh and five seconds ago my boss, who just got back from a convention in Switzerland, plopped some Swiss chocolates down on my desk. I've had them before, and they are soooo good. The real thing. The kind of thing I might decide is "worth it" after my Whole30. Deep breaths. I think I'll give them away. He always brings them back with him, so it's not like these are the only ones I'll ever have the opportunity to eat.

But in other news, my husband is getting an offer letter for a new job, so I'm just going to focus on how happy we are about that and ignore all this non-food!! I got "It Starts With Food" and "Food Freedom Forever" in the mail yesterday. I already started the first one, and I am blown away. It's incredible to read the science behind why I feel so great going into week four, and so not-great when I fall off the wagon. I highly recommend this book, even if you've done multiple Whole30's!

4 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

I got "It Starts With Food" and "Food Freedom Forever" in the mail yesterday. I already started the first one, and I am blown away. It's incredible to read the science behind why I feel so great going into week four, and so not-great when I fall off the wagon. I highly recommend this book, even if you've done multiple Whole30's!

I'm so glad you mentioned the books!  I started reading a preview of "Food Freedom Forever" and it sounds like just the thing for when we've officially finished 30 days on the program and are considering continuing the journey of "real life".

I must admit I'm sort of getting over the fact that my physical changes aren't huge (well yes, I'm a little disappointed I don't have a flatter stomach.) The NSVs are definitely there and the biggest one is that feeling of being more in control... being able to pass on something, say no to something and eat compliant food without feeling I'm missing out.  I have to admit that I'm probably eating way too many potatoes which is why the physical changes aren't massive, so this last week I need to cut back on those.  But spices are my friend, as is mixing any veggies I have available in the fridge into a big pot of ground meat for a nice bowl of savory, spicy goodness.

At my desk at work I have chocolate from Christmas, which is still sitting here and I can happily ignore it.  At home, I have bottles of wine, chocolate, cheese, crackers, bread, pasta etc., since I deliberately did not purge, because I wanted to be able to look at those things and think "I don't need you" and I'm doing just that. 

It sounds like everyone is feeling that same wonderful sense of control. Congrats!  That means we've really got this in hand! Now we just need to sustain it...

Happy Day 23 everyone!

Happy Day 24!!

I think I've made the sad discovery that coffee just isn't the best thing for me.  The first couple weeks of this round I did not drink any and then the last week or so I've added it back in.  I haven't felt as good as what I was in the beginning so I've decided it has to be coffee.  I did not have any yesterday and think I feel more clear headed already.  So that's sad, but oh well!

On a happier note, I've found a new favorite sauce.  I'm sure I am not the first one to do it, but if you have some of the Tessemae's Ketchup, mix that up with some of your homemade mayo.  It is AMAZING!!  So far I've had it on hamburgers and potatoes and I keep planning meals around what else I can have it on.  Condiments make such a difference on the Whole30 so I always love finding a new one that's good!

1 hour ago, nicoledawn913 said:

Happy Day 24!!

I think I've made the sad discovery that coffee just isn't the best thing for me.  The first couple weeks of this round I did not drink any and then the last week or so I've added it back in.  I haven't felt as good as what I was in the beginning so I've decided it has to be coffee.  I did not have any yesterday and think I feel more clear headed already.  So that's sad, but oh well!

On a happier note, I've found a new favorite sauce.  I'm sure I am not the first one to do it, but if you have some of the Tessemae's Ketchup, mix that up with some of your homemade mayo.  It is AMAZING!!  So far I've had it on hamburgers and potatoes and I keep planning meals around what else I can have it on.  Condiments make such a difference on the Whole30 so I always love finding a new one that's good!

I am sad that you have found coffee is not for you. Even when I did not like the taste of coffee, I always liked the smell. I have not tried any of the Tessemae's products, but I may try the ketchup. I have to watch as ketchup is a companion to my no-brake foods, but I would like to see if it is different with a ketchup that does not have the sugar/corn syryp. 

19 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

At my desk at work I have chocolate from Christmas, which is still sitting here and I can happily ignore it.  At home, I have bottles of wine, chocolate, cheese, crackers, bread, pasta etc., since I deliberately did not purge, because I wanted to be able to look at those things and think "I don't need you" and I'm doing just that. 

It sounds like everyone is feeling that same wonderful sense of control. Congrats!  That means we've really got this in hand! Now we just need to sustain it...

Happy Day 23 everyone!

I can relate. My son gave me two bottles of wine for Christmas and they are still unopened. I know they will wait. I also still have a few pieces of chocolate with macadamia nuts that a co-worker brought me from Hawaii and they, too can wait. I have also made pancakes and waffles for our daughter for breakfast and have been able to resist, because I am focused on what I want and need for my body. 

I think this is where we all are. Brent Fikowski is a CrossFit superstar and said the following in a recent interview:

“You’ve got to find substitutes that you still enjoy. Don’t try and go straight into just, rice, chicken, and broccoli. Find a few things you eat that need replacing. It’s all about building good habits. Instead of eating breaded chicken fingers, I buy chicken breast and find a way that I like to cook them that makes me feel just as good.  It shouldn’t feel like a sacrifice. It needs to become a habit, a lifestyle. 

The same is true with exercise. I love CrossFit. But if you love the water and you love swimming, then find a routine and a group of people and swim. If exercise becomes a chore, it won’t become a part of your lifestyle....You want to be happy!   The reason I eat this way is because it makes me feel good, and when I feel good, I train good, and when I drink good, I’m happier. People ask,  “Don’t you miss ice cream and beer?”  Well, yeah!   But then I would feel awful. “

Archived