Framed Cooks

Starting January 2!

Recommended Posts

Hard to believe we are less than a week away from being done!  I am getting excited for the re-introduction phase of the program to see if I can identify any foods problematic to me.  Before W30 I had bad eczema and mild asthma that was acting up at night - both seem to have gone away, so it will be interesting to pin point what might be triggering these issues.  I was/am wanting to extend beyond the 30 days, but am worried that if I do, once I reach the end I won't be as willing to watch foods that I am re-introducing.  So, instead, my plan is to do a fast-track re-introduction for the first part of February and then do another round - hopefully a W45 to take me to April!  My goal is that by the end of this second round I will be confident enough to go "off the program" and enjoy Food Freedom.  

We usually try to get groceries once per week, so for our grocery list this week, I am getting some legumes to reintroduce on day 31 - plan on testing peanuts, peas, and beans!  So crazy to me, to be thinking about this already!!

This past weeks dinners included W30 compliant stew, salmon served with an avocado/jalapeno dressing accompanied by roasted veggies, pesto baked chicken with zucchini noodles, "egg-roll" in a bowl - essentially just a stirfry with ground meat and sauteed veggies (cabbage, carrots, peppers, celery, ginger, garlic, onion, cilantro) mixed with coconut aminos.  Tonight we are doing "W30 Sloppy Joe Bowls" served with salad that I will top with a homemade mayo-based dressing.  

Happy Friday everyone, hope you all had a good week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, Sissi said:

I think I am experiencing the opposite of Tiger Blood at the moment. I feel so, so tired all the time. I also feel very hungry even though I am eating plenty of food. Is anybody experiencing the same or does anybody have some advice? 

I went through a bit of this at the end of last weekend into Monday - turns out it was partially because I was getting sick (just started to feel better yesterday afternoon) and also I think my body/hormones are adjusting.  The only advice I can give is to try to stick to it and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - check your meals to ensure they are in line with the template, try to go to bed a bit earlier to catch up on some sleep, consider adding some extra fats or starchy vegetables, try to limit any excess snacking, especially with sugary-type foods (i.e. bananas, lara bars).  You may also want to post some of your meals for a mod to give some advice?

Good luck!  I hope you feel better soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LagunaRover @OHMaryF Very impressive - you being able to control cravings around chocolate and wine!  I have kept non-compliant food in my home since my husband and step-son are not doing W30, but I have tried, as much as possible, to keep it out of sight - it makes it SO much harder when the food is just staring me in the face! Good for you two!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things that's not been mentioned in the NSV list is the saving of money this month. 

Let me explain... I go to an office every day and in the past I just bought lunch from one of the cafes nearby that delivered, or from a guy who came to the office selling things to eat. All OK, but that meant on average I was spending around $6.50 a day on lunches.  Over the course of this month, as of today, that's 19 working days without buying lunch since I've been bringing in leftovers.  That's $123.50 so far, and I intend to keep bringing food to work after the 30 days is up, both for health and cost reasons.

In addition (being honest) I was buying and consuming around 3 bottles of wine a week.  At an average of around $10 a bottle, that's $30 a week/$120 for the month. Total savings therefore for me will be approximately $250 a month, which is huge! I'm not even counting the less $$ spent at the grocery store by buying just real food not packaged stuff.  That adds up too. For me, this is extra motivation to continue on this path. Yes, I'll be buying wine after the 30 days are up, but not like I used to!

Anyone else seen savings like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LagunaRover said:

One of the things that's not been mentioned in the NSV list is the saving of money this month. 

Let me explain... I go to an office every day and in the past I just bought lunch from one of the cafes nearby that delivered, or from a guy who came to the office selling things to eat. All OK, but that meant on average I was spending around $6.50 a day on lunches.  Over the course of this month, as of today, that's 19 working days without buying lunch since I've been bringing in leftovers.  That's $123.50 so far, and I intend to keep bringing food to work after the 30 days is up, both for health and cost reasons.

In addition (being honest) I was buying and consuming around 3 bottles of wine a week.  At an average of around $10 a bottle, that's $30 a week/$120 for the month. Total savings therefore for me will be approximately $250 a month, which is huge! I'm not even counting the less $$ spent at the grocery store by buying just real food not packaged stuff.  That adds up too. For me, this is extra motivation to continue on this path. Yes, I'll be buying wine after the 30 days are up, but not like I used to!

Anyone else seen savings like this?

That's amazing!

We often say that while the grocery bill can be more on Whole30, it balances out with what you are not spending on snacks, eating out and drinking.

I started tracking how much I spent on coffee out every morning (well, coffee and a muffin if we're honest).  Cut the muffin out (obviously) and started making my coffee at home a few years ago... Every week the equivalent of what I WOULD have spent goes into a savings account so at the end of the year or on my vacation, I have a nice little sum of money to play with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All!

I wish you all a happy Friday! I can't believe that this is the last weekend! It really has gone fast.

I have to tell you I made the BEST recipe last night. https://nomnompaleo.com/sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas

These on butter lettuce were so incredible! The avocado crema too! The only thing I changed was I used 1 Tbsp of lime juice in the crema instead of 2!

Have a great weekend!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

One of the things that's not been mentioned in the NSV list is the saving of money this month. 

Let me explain... I go to an office every day and in the past I just bought lunch from one of the cafes nearby that delivered, or from a guy who came to the office selling things to eat. All OK, but that meant on average I was spending around $6.50 a day on lunches.  Over the course of this month, as of today, that's 19 working days without buying lunch since I've been bringing in leftovers.  That's $123.50 so far, and I intend to keep bringing food to work after the 30 days is up, both for health and cost reasons.

In addition (being honest) I was buying and consuming around 3 bottles of wine a week.  At an average of around $10 a bottle, that's $30 a week/$120 for the month. Total savings therefore for me will be approximately $250 a month, which is huge! I'm not even counting the less $$ spent at the grocery store by buying just real food not packaged stuff.  That adds up too. For me, this is extra motivation to continue on this path. Yes, I'll be buying wine after the 30 days are up, but not like I used to!

Anyone else seen savings like this?

The money thing is interesting. My husband and I cook at home 95% of the time whether we're doing a Whole30 or not. So our grocery bills do get more expensive doing a Whole30. But during a W30 we don't buy beer or wine, and we don't go out to eat. Maybe the odd emergency Chipotle run, but that's it. In the end, we spend a little less money overall on a W30. But for people who buy lunch every day and go out a lot, the W30 makes a huge difference! We use our savings to travel. Sometimes people ask how we're able to go on an international trip every year. I tell them to calculate how much they spend at restaurants/bars/coffee shops per month, and then get back to me. ;) We spent ten days in Italy last year and are headed to Seoul, South Korea next month. We're not wealthy. We just cook at home and don't buy random stuff we don't need, for the most part. 

**edit** We're also fortunate enough not to have student loans or medical debt like many people here. #Americanproblems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ErikaA said:

Tonight we are doing "W30 Sloppy Joe Bowls" served with salad that I will top with a homemade mayo-based dressing.  

What recipe are you using for the Sloppy Joes?  That's one of my childhood comfort foods, but I haven't actually attempted to make them as an adult.  Is it just like spaghetti sauce but reduced down a lot so it's thicker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kirkor said:

What recipe are you using for the Sloppy Joes?  That's one of my childhood comfort foods, but I haven't actually attempted to make them as an adult.  Is it just like spaghetti sauce but reduced down a lot so it's thicker?

You should ask @ladyshanny about the time (before Whole30) that she made sloppy joes... do it, I dare you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kirkor said:

What recipe are you using for the Sloppy Joes?  That's one of my childhood comfort foods, but I haven't actually attempted to make them as an adult.  Is it just like spaghetti sauce but reduced down a lot so it's thicker?

This is the recipe I used: https://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-sloppy-joe-bowls/ and I served it with sweet potato rather than a regular potato  

I definitely recommend only using 2 or 3 dates - I think 5 would be too sweet (seems to be a consistent thought amongst reviews too). I also cut back a bit on the vinegar - my husband hates vinegar so I tried to make sure he wouldn’t be able to taste it. And, I haven’t been able to find compliant Dijon mustard so I used a combination of mustard powder, turmeric, and paprika instead - I have made it with Dijon when not doing W30. Everyone in our house loved it!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rescheduled my doctor's appointment for my 6 month check up so I don't have to get weighed :D

I can't believe we're entering our last week! I've definitely seen a difference in myself, and there will definitely be some permeant changes that come from this.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the journey! Hope the last week treats you well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 7:43 AM, JohannaE said:

...

Apparently food boredom is normal around this time. I've experienced a little bit of it - especially around breakfast and when eating out, when options are fairly limited - but overall I'm excited about this week's meal plan.

Keep it up through this final stretch, y'all!

 

I just clicked on that meal plan and I am IN!  I didn't really identify it as food boredom, but it's Saturday and I don't feel like brainstorming to do something new and exciting.  Now, I can just head to the farmers' market with this week's plan in hand.  Thank you and GREAT JOB IN NYC!!!  Don't you feel good about yourself and your commitment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

One of the things that's not been mentioned in the NSV list is the saving of money this month. 

Let me explain... I go to an office every day and in the past I just bought lunch from one of the cafes nearby that delivered, or from a guy who came to the office selling things to eat. All OK, but that meant on average I was spending around $6.50 a day on lunches.  Over the course of this month, as of today, that's 19 working days without buying lunch since I've been bringing in leftovers.  That's $123.50 so far, and I intend to keep bringing food to work after the 30 days is up, both for health and cost reasons.

In addition (being honest) I was buying and consuming around 3 bottles of wine a week.  At an average of around $10 a bottle, that's $30 a week/$120 for the month. Total savings therefore for me will be approximately $250 a month, which is huge! I'm not even counting the less $$ spent at the grocery store by buying just real food not packaged stuff.  That adds up too. For me, this is extra motivation to continue on this path. Yes, I'll be buying wine after the 30 days are up, but not like I used to!

Anyone else seen savings like this?

So, I work in $F, and am usually running late in the am, so, I end up buying breakfast and lunch.  Then there is the occasional "hey, wanna take a walk and get some coffee?" afternoon things - so it REALLY adds up - we are talking $15 minimum per day/5 days a week (sometimes weekends).  And don't even get me started on the easy 7:30 pm text to the hubs "do I need to bring home dinner?" which results in my picking up dinner for two between bus stop and home and blowing $40 - $50+ more than once a week (and, I would sit and drink a glass of wine while I waited, which is across the board insanely expensive in the bay area).   

At the beginning I went hog wild and spent what I thought was a lot of money on the staples listed - the organic everything at Whole Foods and felt like it was costing a fortune.  But, in reality, I didn't need all those staples (... yet, so I am set for Lent, perhaps), and found some very comparable organics at the close-by Safeway and local organic leaning stores.   But, we drink more than 3 bottles of wine per week (being honest ), so that savings is huge, and the hubs has been drinking beer, but it hasn't affected my resolve.   (I have a decent stash of wine in my basement that has not tempted me once, btw... it's crazy).

So, I'm with you LagunaRover - at the outset it seemed like it was costing a fortune, but I pull my debit card out of my wallet, like NEVER, during the workweek, and I think the credit union is about to call to see if I'm okay or got a divorce, bc my spending is nil.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dianne m said:

So, I work in $F, and am usually running late in the am, so, I end up buying breakfast and lunch.  Then there is the occasional "hey, wanna take a walk and get some coffee?" afternoon things - so it REALLY adds up - we are talking $15 minimum per day/5 days a week (sometimes weekends).  And don't even get me started on the easy 7:30 pm text to the hubs "do I need to bring home dinner?" which results in my picking up dinner for two between bus stop and home and blowing $40 - $50+ more than once a week (and, I would sit and drink a glass of wine while I waited, which is across the board insanely expensive in the bay area).   

At the beginning I went hog wild and spent what I thought was a lot of money on the staples listed - the organic everything at Whole Foods and felt like it was costing a fortune.  But, in reality, I didn't need all those staples (... yet, so I am set for Lent, perhaps), and found some very comparable organics at the close-by Safeway and local organic leaning stores.   But, we drink more than 3 bottles of wine per week (being honest ), so that savings is huge, and the hubs has been drinking beer, but it hasn't affected my resolve.   (I have a decent stash of wine in my basement that has not tempted me once, btw... it's crazy).

So, I'm with you LagunaRover - at the outset it seemed like it was costing a fortune, but I pull my debit card out of my wallet, like NEVER, during the workweek, and I think the credit union is about to call to see if I'm okay or got a divorce, bc my spending is nil.

 

Oh gosh Dianne, I am with you all the way... I live in Laguna Beach, CA where everything is ridiculously expensive. Same on the dinner front too, I didn't even add that. I have this great California-fusion restaurant which does take-out, down the street.  It's my nemesis on late nights home from work for Thai, Japanese, Indian - whatever I feel like, but gets REALLY pricey.

So the Whole 30 seems to be more than just a health "win" for Nor Cal and So Cal peeps! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flashback, I had a dream last night that I weighed myself then realized that I was not supposed to weigh myself.

i have been thinking of my reintroduction, and am trying to identify the test foods that I am most interested in, that are not no brakes foods. Oatmeal and rice will be up first.

Also, a few folks have mentioned doing reintroduction and a short break then starting another Whole30/+ in mid February. Is anyone here interested in starting a thread for a February 14 (Ash Wednesday) start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, LagunaRover said:

One of the things that's not been mentioned in the NSV list is the saving of money this month. 

Anyone else seen savings like this?

  I had not thought of that and have not been tracking it but you’re right.  I have not been buying beer or wine .  I have not let myself get in a situation where I don’t have a plan for lunch or dinner so no last-minute ordering for takeout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry to say that I have not been a contributor this time around but have faithfully read every post and made a lot of your recommended recipes.  Learned a lot about myself this time around but know I'm not finished.  I'm looking for a short reintroduction/break but am very much interested in starting a thread for February 14th.  My sugar dragon is still lurking

 

  • Members
  • Also, a few folks have mentioned doing reintroduction and a short break then starting another Whole30/+ in mid February. Is anyone here interested in starting a thread for a February 14 (Ash Wednesday) start?

     
     49
  • 37 posts

!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dianne m said:

I just clicked on that meal plan and I am IN!  I didn't really identify it as food boredom, but it's Saturday and I don't feel like brainstorming to do something new and exciting.  Now, I can just head to the farmers' market with this week's plan in hand.  Thank you and GREAT JOB IN NYC!!!  Don't you feel good about yourself and your commitment?

Yes! Most definitely. I hope you enjoy the meals as much as we did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OHMaryF said:

Flashback, I had a dream last night that I weighed myself then realized that I was not supposed to weigh myself.

i have been thinking of my reintroduction, and am trying to identify the test foods that I am most interested in, that are not no brakes foods. Oatmeal and rice will be up first.

Also, a few folks have mentioned doing reintroduction and a short break then starting another Whole30/+ in mid February. Is anyone here interested in starting a thread for a February 14 (Ash Wednesday) start?

I am seriously thinking about it.   Just trying to determine how difficult it will be to remain wholeheartedly on this during upcoming trial (I work in a law firm).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is everyone doing?  I can't believe we are 27 days in!!!  Any thoughts about what you are reintroducing first and if you are going the fast lane or the slow route as mentioned in the Whole 30 book?  I think I will be taking it slow.  I am going to start my reintroduction with a glass of Chambord.  I have always wanted to try it and my husband bought it Day 2 into my Whole 30 so I have been staring at it all month long. :)

 I have a pretty good idea of what I am sensitive to due to allergy testing but I would like to know how sensitive I am.  Example: Can I eat 1/2 piece of sourdough bread or should I just steer clear of it all together.  I won't introduce gluten until later but it will be nice to kind of test where the limits are with some of the items my system is sensitive to.

I am reading Food Freedom Forever and LOVE it!  I have enjoyed all of the Hartwig's books and find them very informative and encouraging.

Meals for this week include:

Whole 30 Meatloaf with whipped sweet potatoes, salad and steamed green beans

Chicken Tagine (with rice for the family and with salad for me)

Salmon with homemade lemon mayo, salad, roasted beets and roasted potatoes.

Potroast cooked mexican style with lime juice to use to top our taco salad with.

Bacon wrapped chicken breast, veggie tray, rice for kids, salad, berries

Chicken and veggie soup with salad

Have a great week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy day 28! Today I have discovered the most amazing thing - left over apple sauce (literally cooked Bramley apple with fennel seeds) made for Sunday dinner is completely delicious with veg and eggs for breakfast :) who knew? 

 

On another note, I see lots of people starting to plan introductions, which is very sensible at this stage. It's my third round and all I'll be bringing back for now is wine for cooking (not drinking), lack of it is too limiting for weekend dinners in the slow cooker and it does me no noticeable harm. For people reintroducing right away I'd highly recommend keeping a record of what and when and how you feel - it's easy to sweep a less than good reaction under the carpet when there's a strong emotional or nostalgic connection with the food.... I've certainly allowed that to happen in the past ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FairyL0u said:

On another note, I see lots of people starting to plan introductions, which is very sensible at this stage. It's my third round and all I'll be bringing back for now is wine for cooking (not drinking), lack of it is too limiting for weekend dinners in the slow cooker and it does me no noticeable harm. For people reintroducing right away I'd highly recommend keeping a record of what and when and how you feel - it's easy to sweep a less than good reaction under the carpet when there's a strong emotional or nostalgic connection with the food.... I've certainly allowed that to happen in the past ...

@MaineacMom and FairlyLou  and others - glad to see the reintroduction mentioned.  I am going back and forth on which way to do it.  I believe I will reintroduce wine first as I will be at a 4 day quilting retreat beginning 2/1 and one glass with dinners should be fine.  Precooked my meals and have my cooler ready to pack.  And then, next week, probably a little dairy (Faje plain yogurt, specifically).  Not a legume eater, and the bread I can live without (well, I guess I just proved I can live without all of it). 

As day 30 approaches, I find I am more interested in what the scale might NOT say.  How will I handle the disappointment if I haven't lost any weight?  I keep telling myself this wasn't the main reason for doing W30, and I see others are having visible results, getting compliments/people noticing.  I guess I wanted that, too.  Granted, the sore joints are much improved.  Sleep is better.  Allergies are, as well.  I know I'm supposed to focus on that, but still.

Anyway.  In general, I am becoming anxious about day 31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FairyL0u said:

Happy day 28! Today I have discovered the most amazing thing - left over apple sauce (literally cooked Bramley apple with fennel seeds) made for Sunday dinner is completely delicious with veg and eggs for breakfast :) who knew? 

 

On another note, I see lots of people starting to plan introductions, which is very sensible at this stage.  For people reintroducing right away I'd highly recommend keeping a record of what and when and how you feel - it's easy to sweep a less than good reaction under the carpet when there's a strong emotional or nostalgic connection with the food.... I've certainly allowed that to happen in the past ...

 

 

Thank you for that information. I did keep a record last year and I am going to do so again. I am also trying to concentrate on the foods I would like to incorporate.   I do like California roll sushi and rice bowls from Cava and Chiptole, so I will try rice. I love oatmeal in the autumn and winter so I will start with rice and oatmeal first.  Most legumes I can do without, but I do like hummus and falafel, so I think I will try them next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dianne m said:

As day 30 approaches, I find I am more interested in what the scale might NOT say.  How will I handle the disappointment if I haven't lost any weight?  I keep telling myself this wasn't the main reason for doing W30, and I see others are having visible results, getting compliments/people noticing.  I guess I wanted that, too.  Granted, the sore joints are much improved.  Sleep is better.  Allergies are, as well.  I know I'm supposed to focus on that, but still.

Anyway.  In general, I am becoming anxious about day 31.

@dianne mit definitely sounds as if you have some NSV. I would say try not to be anxious. I am also curious whether I lost weight. I have been taking barre classes, but my running schedule has been off. Even if the scale is the same, I know I have had changes and NSF's. The NSF's, the changes we are making, and the knowledge we are gaining about our tastes and bodies are the most important, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OHMaryF I am definitely in for a Feb 14 start!! 

I was really sick this past weekend - some sort of chest/throat infection (I am assuming), which killed my appetite and left me feeling really gross overall.  Because of this, I am thinking of maybe extending this W30 a few extra days - I want to ensure I am feeling as good as I was a week ago, so that I have a good basis to compare any potential negative consequences.  I am not planning on reintroducing alcohol at this point, so if I do my first re-introduction on Feb 4 (legumes), that should give me enough time to fast track through each "food category" (non-gluten grains Feb 7, dairy Feb 10) so that gluten-containing grains are introduced on Feb 13 and back on W30 Feb 14.

I don't really plan on keeping legumes or dairy in my diet after W30, but still want to reintroduce them to know what potential side effects I should worry about in the case that a meal does end up having these types of ingredients.  

I will wait and see though - if this cold sticks around longer than I expect, I may just push through and do a W60 now and think about re-introduction later...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now