Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

@MaineacMom Your meals for the week sound great!

@LagunaRover and @dianne m My husband I were just talking about the cost savings as well!  Our weekly groceries may have gone up slightly, but this has been more than offset by the reduction in costs from nights of drinks, ordering in dinner, etc., so I think we have definitely saved this month too!  Glad you pointed this out.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my cholesterol tested as part of my annual this past week, and it was even higher than normal! This definitely has me questioning my plan to stick to 80/20 paleo moving forward - instead, I'm considering cutting out some of the eggs and red meat and adding in legumes and whole grains. Health is #1. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JohannaE said:

I had my cholesterol tested as part of my annual this past week, and it was even higher than normal! This definitely has me questioning my plan to stick to 80/20 paleo moving forward - instead, I'm considering cutting out some of the eggs and red meat and adding in legumes and whole grains. Health is #1. 

Please spend some time researching how dietary cholesterol does not actually affect blood cholesterol - It Starts With Food is a good book to explain as well as Eat the Yolks by Liz Wolfe.  Health IS #1 and we absolutely would not be encouraging this program if there was not science behind it.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Please spend some time researching how dietary cholesterol does not actually affect blood cholesterol - It Starts With Food is a good book to explain as well as Eat the Yolks by Liz Wolfe.  Health IS #1 and we absolutely would not be encouraging this program if there was not science behind it.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

Thanks for the literature. I'm well-read on the matter, and know that for most people dietary cholesterol is not a villain. For most people, sugar is a much bigger deal. However, there is a subset of people known as "hyper-responders" that do respond to dietary cholesterol; like high cholesterol itself, this is genetic.  I am concerned, given my genetic history of high cholesterol, I may fall into this group. 

I can't believe this is almost over!  It truly has not been as hard as I thought it would, and I want to continue many of the habits I've developed.  I miss full Mexican food and want to have blackbeans and a tortilla!!! I also want to add back strong cheese (like blue & gorgonzola)...it adds a flavor that I am missing.  Finally, I miss hummus and smoothies.....not sure how to re-introduce those items.  I think I will start by adding black beans and then, try blue cheese.  But I don't want to add dairy to every meal...just a little blue cheese on my salad.

We're approaching the finish line! I made Mel Joulwan's Bora Bora fireballs last night and they were a hit. They're quick to make and it's a relatively inexpensive recipe (yay, ground pork). I also bought a bottle of Tessemae's for the first time ever, the avocado ranch. OH MAN is it good. At $5.99 a bottle, it won't be a regular purchase, but it's nice to know the brand lives up to the hype. 

Woo hoo, we're almost there!!

we are almost there!! 

wine.  on thursday.   one glass.   i'm surprised that i have not been tempted by wine at all during this process.  have been to at least three celebrations and it's in the house.  also, truth be told, i was worried about the possibility of not being able to do without!   such insights.

gum or breath mints, in a pinch, on the other hand.  ugh.

Guys! I need help. My digestive issues (mostly bloating and gas) had been much better up until 3 days ago. Starting on Friday, I've had the WORST gas. It's terribly uncomfortable (not to mention embarrassing). I haven't had anything non-compliant... in fact I recycled the chili recipe and roasted chicken recipe, so I know it's not that. The only thing I can think of is that I've had a little bit more almond milk that usual? I made myself an almond milk latte a few times recently. Could that be it? (And yes, I double checked the almond milk... no carrageens, just almonds and water).  Help!! With 2 days left, I was hoping to go into reintroduction feeling good! :(

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Anna33 said:

Guys! I need help. My digestive issues (mostly bloating and gas) had been much better up until 3 days ago. Starting on Friday, I've had the WORST gas. It's terribly uncomfortable (not to mention embarrassing). I haven't had anything non-compliant... in fact I recycled the chili recipe and roasted chicken recipe, so I know it's not that. The only thing I can think of is that I've had a little bit more almond milk that usual? I made myself an almond milk latte a few times recently. Could that be it? (And yes, I double checked the almond milk... no carrageens, just almonds and water).  Help!! With 2 days left, I was hoping to go into reintroduction feeling good! :(

Ya it could definitely be the latte... leave those off for the next few days and see if the problem resolves... nuts and their products can be hugely disruptive and a few lattes is a lot of nut product.

3 hours ago, dianne m said:

wine.  on thursday.   one glass.   i'm surprised that i have not been tempted by wine at all during this process.  have been to at least three celebrations and it's in the house.  also, truth be told, i was worried about the possibility of not being able to do without!   such insights.

I'm with you Dianne... wine will be the one thing I re-introduce on Thursday - just one glass, because I need to see how that makes me feel! Our alcohol tolerance has probably been reduced greatly and therefore I don't want a hangover for Friday at work! I was out last Saturday night drinking sparkling water, which I will admit wasn't horrible, especially since I was able to drive there and back without a Lyft.

Having also proved I can live without cheese and bread and pasta and rice and crackers and chocolate, etc., etc., etc., I'm also going to take the reintroduction of those slowly too. There's some dark chocolate that's been sitting on my desk since Christmas that I will indulge in slowly, one square at a time (and not on the same day as the wine!)

Wow guys, we are almost at transition point! :-)

Hi guys! Ditto to the "can't believe we're there" feeling. I'm feeling hopelessly conflicted about what to re-introduce on Thursday. I had pushed out a lunch meeting from Wednesday to Thursday to make sure I kept myself on track right until the end, and now that lunch meeting has cancelled! (fate, I'm sure). From previous food sensitivity testing I know that peanuts and tree nuts rank fairly high for me as a source of irritation so I want to push the legume intro out further into the reintroduction phase. Since dairy wasn't an issue for me with that testing, thinking maybe a little bit of cheese goes onto my eggs Thursday morning! My husband was also pretty funny last night...he wants to have one of our family roast beef recipes and I told him I had to check ingredients to make sure I don't over-do it (he wasn't impressed). 

Lots of NSVs to keep in mind going into reintroduction to keep the focus on eating right, interestingly I still have some inflammation and haven't been able to pinpoint it. 

Kinda sorta off point - but, how cool is that super blue blood moon this morning!!?? 

Well, maybe not totally off point - I mean, this is DAY 30, after all!!

image.png.cf49f4c236c76e4c9b472f8b0ac927b6.png

...from the Griffith Observatory.  Also peeking at me through my kitchen window as I type this at 4:13am.  (I'm having my third not-so-great night of sleep in a row - but that crisp beautiful sight is worth it!)

2 hours ago, dianne m said:

Kinda sorta off point - but, how cool is that super blue blood moon this morning!!?? 

Well, maybe not totally off point - I mean, this is DAY 30, after all!!

image.png.cf49f4c236c76e4c9b472f8b0ac927b6.png

...from the Griffith Observatory.  Also peeking at me through my kitchen window as I type this at 4:13am.  (I'm having my third not-so-great night of sleep in a row - but that crisp beautiful sight is worth it!)

We did see it last night and it was beautiful! Day 30!!!

Holy cow - day 30!!

Hard to believe it's here already!  Feeling so proud of myself  (and everyone else too) for making it through the whole month, despite the challenges like nights out, being sick, etc. etc.

I am still a bit sick, so I am going to go a few extra days before starting reintroduction, but for those of you starting tomorrow, congratulations, I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Congratulations again everyone, I hope your last day is absolutely fantastic!

14 hours ago, DebCoop109 said:

Hi guys! Ditto to the "can't believe we're there" feeling. I'm feeling hopelessly conflicted about what to re-introduce on Thursday.

Lots of NSVs to keep in mind going into reintroduction to keep the focus on eating right, interestingly I still have some inflammation and haven't been able to pinpoint it. 

DAY 30!

I have struggled a bit with between meal munchie/craving feelings, but I think it is mostly due to stress about some things going on. I have gone back and forth on reintroduction, but I decided to go with grains tomorrow (oatmeal and rice), Dairy on Sunday (feta cheese, Greek yogurt), and gluten next Wednesday. Those are the items I most want to test and which I would want to have in my regular diet. I am doing ok living without legumes. I know my sugar dragon is still lurking ready to take over. I will have a few events next weekend and February 12-13, then I will start again on Wednesday February 14. Meal planning is still something I need to work on, so I think I will try the meal plans program next month. 

YAY DAY 30!!!!

Had my first dream about eating off-plan foods last night, woke up feeling so guilty that I blew it on the very last day! I didn't do much meal prep last weekend so did a little last night to get me through the end of the week. Really really don't want to go off the rails during the transition.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for the group the next few days. 

Happy Day 30 Everyone! I haven't been commenting a lot, but I have been reading this every day and it has been a great support for me.  This is my second W30 and I'm feeling really good.  I'm going to reintroduce dairy first (I miss milk in my black tea!), but after that I'm not sure.  I haven't really been missing grains or legumes, but we are in a Supper Club with a couple of other families and those items often show up when it's not our turn to host so I will probably reintroduce those next.  I think I'm going to continue eating mostly paleo, but include dairy from time to time.  When I reintroduced it after my first W30 I didn't notice any ill effects so fingers crossed.  :-)

We made it!!!  Woo hoo.  :)  My husband has decided he wants to do W30.    He is still reading the W30 book and preparing himself for what lies ahead, so I might just start up again whenever he does. I am looking forward to reintroduction though and seeing how some of these foods (rice, alcohol, sugar) affects my system.

Has anyone tried doing W30 with kiddos?  My beautiful blessings  have their Momma's sugar dragon.  I stopped buying some of the items that they rely on for snacks (yogurt, granola bars) and just stocked up on more fruit and veggies, which they love.   However, I am just noticing how they often want the carbs and sugary stuff and want to help them in that area.  I began with this past shopping trip by not purchasing some of our convenient standbys that have snuck their way back into our lives over the past few years (cereal, crackers, granola bars, store bought yogurt). If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  :D  Happy Day 1 of reintroduction! 

19 hours ago, DebCoop109 said:

YAY DAY 30!!!!

Had my first dream about eating off-plan foods last night, woke up feeling so guilty that I blew it on the very last day! I didn't do much meal prep last weekend so did a little last night to get me through the end of the week. Really really don't want to go off the rails during the transition.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for the group the next few days. 

I came close to blowing it yesterday, I made the kids Rice Krispy birds nest with caramel M&M's for "eggs" inside them because we were doing a unit study on birds.  Oh my word!  The ooey gooey marshmallows smelled so darn good and I had to keep reminding myself that I really don't like Rice Krispy squares that much... it was crazy hard!  Don't beat yourself up DebCoop, you have come a long way and have done a great job!  I love what Melissa Hartwig says in Food Freedom Forever: "There will be slip ups, times you fall off the wagon... it's unrealistic to think there will be no more cravings/unhealthy eating habits.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  Simply acknowledge where you are, reactivate your reset, and regain your control."  Hoping we can all still connect here during our reintroduction as I think that will be the hardest part for me... to not just go out and eat "all the things".  :)

@MaineacMom I don't have kiddos, so I can only imagine!   You are so strong and I applaud you for making that oooey gooey thing and not caving!!

Because of my near instant improvement in allergy symptoms, my very good friend is on day 9!  She has terrible eye/skin allergies and is tilting her W30 to remove the chronic offenders.  She is doing very well and it's fun to be her cheerleader!

I didn't sleep well the last few nights and I definitely feel more bloated as a result.  The day counting added more stress, it seems, since Day 27.  I am now not going to even think about what "day" it is and just continue with reintroduction and listen to my body.  

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE - WE DID IT!!  And I agree - this forum has been a great support and with the unknowns ahead, I am hoping we can stay in touch.

Cheers all!!  :) :D

finishedwhole30.jpg.09e263e7558cf4699ab459cda01b6966.jpg

15 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

These last two weeks I had dreams that I ate food I wasn't supposed to and ruined my 30 day journey. It felt so real that I woke up panicked! They weren't lying when they said you might dream about food :lol:

I didn't have one dream about food.  But, awoke having dreamt that The Edge was my buddy for the last two days.   I'll take it!

We did it, guys! Since this was my fourth Whole30, I'm going with the slow roll introduction this time. My husband and I are going to dinner tonight at this Thai place in our new neighborhood that we've wanted to try for months. I will go for more veggie and protein dishes, vs. noodles and fried things. We're gonna stay pretty much paleo overall. I'm going to do what I can to keep my sugar dragon in check, so there won't be much dessert for me, or even grains. At least that's the plan. I'm going to start reading "Food Freedom Forever" along with the Whole30 community this month, so hopefully I'll be on my way. 

Best of luck to all on your respective journeys!

Oh gosh it's Day 31! This morning I awoke and did the same things I always do and ate the same breakfast I do (hard boiled egg, salami, fruit), but one thing changed...

I. Got. The. Scale. Out.

I was so nervous standing on it to be frank, and so happy when I did in fact see change.  Apparently I lost about 8 or 9 pounds. I can't be entirely accurate since my scale was on the fritz due to low batteries when all this started (typical really). I still have more to lose, but hey!  Success!  And I feel amazing! So many other NSVs to celebrate too.

This really makes me want to take any food re-introductions slowly.  I packed compliant food for lunch at work and will continue compliant eating (with wine) tonight.

Congrats team - we made it!

Any other great results to share?

Day 31?  Really?? 

I have felt bloated and uncomfortable the last few days, but it's my own fault.  I've been eating way too many nuts.  Regardless, the scale says I have lost 10 lbs, which is awesome!  However, since I still have 25lbs to lose and 2 months to go before we head to Mexico for our youngest son's senior year spring break trip, I've decided that the only food group I'll be reintroducing at this time is alcohol. :) For special occasions only, of course. (Completing W30 is a special occasion, right??)

I don't miss noncompliant food, which blows my mind.  I have to admit...the NSVs have made me realize that I would rather continuously feel good than have a temporary "high" from food.  I think the biggest thing is that I don't miss feeling like crap every day.  I don't miss feeling lethargic and foggy at 2pm, I don't miss getting home from work and having ZERO energy, and I REALLY don't miss waking up in the middle of the night, every night, and not being able to get back to sleep for what seems like hours. 

Over the past 30 days, I didn't participate in a regular exercise regimen, but that changes now.  I'm planning to move forward with basically the same diet, but I'm going to cut back on white potatoes and nuts, since these are unfortunately food with no brakes for me.  I'll allow myself an occasional alcoholic beverage and will add 3-5 days of exercise per week.

Congrats to all of us for the hard work and determination!  I'll continue to check in and if a different thread gets started for those that decide to continue, please let me know!  I didn't post a lot during this journey, but I read every one of your posts and it really helped. 

Cheers!!  :lol:

Archived