Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

10 hours ago, Framed Cooks said:

HAPPY DAY ONE EVERYONE!  I'm starting off with a cup of peppermint tea, some hardboiled eggs and some baby carrots.  Lunch is meatball and spinach soup, and supper is sheet pan chicken with veggies (let me know if anyone needs the recipe).  We got this!!!

Kate xx

Meatball and spinach soup sounds delicious! Where can I find the receipt?? 

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you all are staying warm if it's cold in your neck of the woods!
I had good meals today, although I ate the apple with my lunch a little late because of work.
Almost fell asleep at work in the middle of the day, but I blame that on trying to get back to my usual routine after the holidays. I did drink some black coffee once I got home - hopefully I won't need to do that the rest of the month.

I also had black coffee after a day at work. Needed the cold weather comfort after not eatibg garbage all day like I have been! Ha!

breakfast: just 2 HB eggs

snack: handful of almonds (I know there are better nuts but this is what I have!)

lunch: stuffed acorn squash/cucumber slices

dinner: grass fed burger, bok choy, mushrooms, baked sweet potatoes, avocado slice (dinner was a bit large, but it was healthy so I didn’t care.)

i consider it a great start! 

So....fruit later in the day is not good? On my first few w30s I would have diced banana, frozen blueberries in coconut milk for dessert. Not good?

14 minutes ago, NoSugarJustSpice said:

I also had black coffee after a day at work. Needed the cold weather comfort after not eatibg garbage all day like I have been! Ha!

breakfast: just 2 HB eggs

snack: handful of almonds (I know there are better nuts but this is what I have!)

lunch: stuffed acorn squash/cucumber slices

dinner: grass fed burger, bok choy, mushrooms, baked sweet potatoes, avocado slice (dinner was a bit large, but it was healthy so I didn’t care.)

i consider it a great start! 

So....fruit later in the day is not good? On my first few w30s I would have diced banana, frozen blueberries in coconut milk for dessert. Not good?

Awesome job on day one! Dinner sounds delicious. It's not necessarily that fruit later in the day isn't okay, but fruit in the form of dessert like that definitely is not allowed. Fruit on your salad or in a sauce would be fine to have for dinner.

4 hours ago, D.M. said:

I just started today and have a QUESTION.

I believe we are supposed to have 3 meals and no snacks, but I am used to 2 small snacks, like an apple and almond butter.  I tried to skip my snacks- but still craved something- so I decided to have a tablespoon of almond butter.  As I shoved the spoon into my mouth, I read the label (I KNOW I should have done that first), and saw that it had honey in it...so I ran to the sink and spit it out.  But I swallowed a bit of it. 

Have I ruined my Whole 30 and do I have to start over tomorrow?  

Thank you!

Personally, I think using almond butter to satisfying a craving is a bigger deal than eating a trace amount of honey you didn't know was in it. That said, it's day one so you may as well. I probably generally would just let it slide - I once had a restaurant serve me something incorrectly pretty far into a Whole30 and took a bite of brussels sprouts fried in peanut oil, and I didn't start over.

4 hours ago, DebCoop109 said:

Happy Day One everyone!

So far so good today, yesterday's marathon food prep session is paying off as I was able to have a structured, satisfying meal 1 and meal 2. Found out today one of my good friends at work has also started W30 so I have an accountability partner (whoop whoop, bonus!!). But a couple questions for the group:

1) I'm feeling like my intense focus on the program is causing me to feel more hungry than I really am. In other words, thinking about what I'm going to eat is making me want to eat. Is this normal (probably) and any words of wisdom on how to re-focus?

2) In reading another thread in the forum I saw some posts about flavored coffee potentially being out of bounds (not adding flavor to coffee, the coffee beans that have flavor... like for example Peppermint Bark Donut Shop Keurig single serve pods). I've read the books and thought I had the rules down but in my mind I guess I just had "I don't add sugar/cream/etc to my coffee therefore I already drink black coffee so therefore I don't have to worry about the coffee thing" in my head. Now that I've worked through my "well CRUD" moment and am drinking really truly no additive black coffee, was wondering if the group has had any other "oops I didn't think about that" moments they can share to help this newbie avoid more assumption pitfalls?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my first attempt at W30 got messed up by “Pure lime juice” - after reading the label, not so pure! Now I know to read EVERY label. 

As for the flavoured coffee - I think I read that it could be infused with various alcohols, extracts, etc., which is why it wouldn’t be okay...not usually flavoured with natural ingredients?

Good luck!!

4 hours ago, LaVesta said:

Yeah, I have that down for Saturday.  I may just go ahead and make it now. How was the rice? I have never really cared for cauliflower. 

In the Whole30 cookbook, there is a recipe for crispy turkey over cauliflower rice. The turkey is seasoned to be somewhat spicy (paprika, cumin, etc) and the riced cauliflower is seasoned to have a lemony flavour. It was a surprisingly tasty combination and definitely masked the flavour of the cauliflower, which I don’t care for either. 

Everyone who decided to do healthy foods beginning this first day back to work in 2018 brought in all their left-over holiday junk food.  :o  I survived the day by praying that they all would have transmission failure on the Interstate during rush hour traffic while suffering from the fleas of a thousand camels infesting their armpits.  Hmmph!

Serious question... I know we are not supposed to use whole30 ingedients to make a substitute for our "treat", since technically,  we are trying to break that addiction.  So, would making cauliflower tortillas be considered that? 

Day 1 Done! After reading what others ate maybe my meals were too big - although I followed the plate recommendations.  I didn’t have any cravings and didn’t feel the need to snack other than preworkout food.  Everything ready to go for tomorrow - I’m excited!

Day 1 almost done. I still have to get through my after dinner sugar dragon. But I can do it.

did Iced coffee and almond milk (compliant) with two hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I don’t use sweetener of any kind in my coffee (my first whole30 kicked that habit and now I can’t stand sweetened coffee). 

Lunch was the whole 30 curry chicken salad (fast and easy book) over a large bed of greens.

dinner was the piccata from the fast and easy cook book with zucchini noodles and ghee. I made it with chicken instead of pork and it came out amazing.  This recipe is so good! Highly recommend.

Just gotta get through the rest of the night lol!! 

Loving their new cookbook! 

Hello Whole30 community! I doing this for the first time, bought the book and starting today. Question, can we have cashew milk??

it's  10 easier to make than almond milk since you don't have to strain. And I love the taste. Could someone let me know, I usually put cinnamon and vanilla. 

9 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

EAT THE FAT. I know, I know. We've been told our whole lives how bad fat is for us. Well, it's not. Not if you follow the template, which calls for a thumb-sized portion of a compliant fat in addition to any fat used for cooking. And believe me, you will be hungry if you leave it out. "Oh, but surely skipping the fat will help me lose weight faster..." you secretly think to yourself, even though you know weight loss is not the main focus. But you think wrong, because it won't. Eat the fat! 

Just wanna ask- why eat the fat? I am all for it,  but what is it okay? If it’s in the book, I probably read it a long time ago and just don’t remember. Thanks!!  

8 hours ago, ErikaA said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my first attempt at W30 got messed up by “Pure lime juice” - after reading the label, not so pure! Now I know to read EVERY label. 

As for the flavoured coffee - I think I read that it could be infused with various alcohols, extracts, etc., which is why it wouldn’t be okay...not usually flavoured with natural ingredients?

Good luck!!

Hey ErikaA!  As a tea drinker, I can't be helpful on the coffee (except to say, maybe come on over to the tea side!  I love Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Vanilla!).  On the being hungry part, I think that is TOTALLY normal.  I would have a big glass of water and have a plan for doing something non-food-related and distracting - even something as simple as doing laundry - and it will pass.  And pretty soon this will be back to normal - that's my experience, anyway.  Happy Day Two!!

Seriously?  I ask the hubby to find ways to help me not cheat on the Whole30 plan so he zip ties the scales so I can't cheat and weigh myself!    I guess that will work.  Day 2 and he's made homemade mayo for me (he's really good at that) and he's packing my lunch for me.  In all fairness though he's retired and I'm not so I appreciate his help.  

scales.jpg

9 hours ago, Holly1970 said:

Day 1 Done! After reading what others ate maybe my meals were too big - although I followed the plate recommendations.  I didn’t have any cravings and didn’t feel the need to snack other than preworkout food.  Everything ready to go for tomorrow - I’m excited!

No such thing as "too big" - if you felt no need to snack, you've got it right! My meals are HUGE :-)  

6 hours ago, mina2018 said:

Hello Whole30 community! I doing this for the first time, bought the book and starting today. Question, can we have cashew milk??

it's  10 easier to make than almond milk since you don't have to strain. And I love the taste. Could someone let me know, I usually put cinnamon and vanilla. 

Yes, homemade cashew milk is definitely ok! Cinnamon is fine, but you can't use vanilla extract.

Good morning all!  I started my second round of Whole30 January 2nd. I just recently ended my first round on Christmas (non compliant ham; 29 days). Felt great while doing it. Then between Christmas and New Years I didn’t follow the proper reintroduction schedule and felt cruddy. 

So im at it again and will fully commit! I’m excited to have community support this time around as well.

breakfast this morning 3eggs fried in oil on top of leftover roast veggies and I made a mayo-mustard sauce to add. Oh and hot sauce, I love hot sauce! Yum yum. 

B46FF649-C933-4291-91B9-2902511B569B.jpeg

Day 1 done! I make a whole chicken in the crockpot yesterday. It had sliced lemon, cut heads of garlic and rosemary in and around it. Delicious! 

On my commute yesterday,I did unconsciously throw a piece of gum in my mouth! It hit my tongue and I spit it out! haha Oh habits.....

Good luck on day 2 everyone! 

Archived