Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

Hello all. I started yesterday (2nd). This will be my second whole 30- I hope I complete it. Last time I felt great at the end but did not do reintroduction properly. I really want to know what foods are bad for me so I can make permanent lifestyle changes. I know wheat is bad but I have a question mark around dairy, other grains, and legumes. Sugar has never really been my weakness so I’m not too worried about that. We have both the nom nom paleo cookbooks and I’ve been looking through the newer one but in the meantime all we managed for dinner yesterday was steamed broccoli, olives for fat, and leftover Christmas turkey out of the freezer! Good luck all!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, NoSugarJustSpice said:

I also had black coffee after a day at work. Needed the cold weather comfort after not eatibg garbage all day like I have been! Ha!

breakfast: just 2 HB eggs

snack: handful of almonds (I know there are better nuts but this is what I have!)

lunch: stuffed acorn squash/cucumber slices

dinner: grass fed burger, bok choy, mushrooms, baked sweet potatoes, avocado slice (dinner was a bit large, but it was healthy so I didn’t care.)

i consider it a great start! 

So....fruit later in the day is not good? On my first few w30s I would have diced banana, frozen blueberries in coconut milk for dessert. Not good?

don't forget to add veggies and fat to breakfast! The fact that you had a snack of almonds in between breakfast and lunch means your breakfast wasn't big enough. Maybe add a bed of greens and some ranch dressing?

Fruit by itself isn't recommended, so if you have it as part of a meal that is ideal. Something like you described is compliant, but SWYPO because you're basically re-creating an ice cream dessert with compliant ingredients.

Hi all! This is my first Whole30 and I really hope this program will help me achieve “food freedom”. I do not remember the last time I felt food freedom. My plan was to start the Whole30 on 1 January. However, I keep having to go back to day 1 because I do not read my labels carefully. On 1 January, I made a big batch of pumpkin soup using vegetable stock that contains soy and maltodextrin. Yesterday night I took digestive enzymes that contain rice flour...I hope today will go according to plan! Good luck and happy new year to you all! 

Well, day 3 here and the headache is surreal. It's been 12 hours straight of the throbbing. I'm pregnant so I can't take anything for it (I'm not big on OTC meds but at this point I would have totally caved otherwise). I've tried essential oils, tea, almonds, bananas, a hot shower, etc. I've been here before and I know it just has to play itself out- THIS is just how dependent my body is on sugars and caffeine! Crazy! 

I made an amazing chili last night :) So yummy! How's everyone else?

9 hours ago, RroseR said:

Just wanna ask- why eat the fat? I am all for it,  but what is it okay? If it’s in the book, I probably read it a long time ago and just don’t remember. Thanks!!  

It is in the book, but that's okay! Fat is necessary for the body's absorption of nutrients. It also helps with satiety (feeling full). Whole30 fats include coconut in all forms (oil, flakes, etc.), olives and olive oil, avocados and avocado oil, homemade mayonnaise, ghee (clarified butter), salad dressings and more. I don't like plain mayonnaise, but it makes a great base for creamy sauces and salad dressings. In a pinch, like when I don't have a sauce or dressing prepared, I'll just grab some olives and eat those with my meal. The Whole30 book and the Well Fed book have amazing sauce recipes that work well as fat with meals.

1 hour ago, Lizzi26 said:

Hi hope everyone is doing well! Day 2 so far so good here. 

I saw that Applegate products are whole 30 compliant but it does say cane sugar on ingredients anyone know anything about this?? Thanks! 

Not all of their products are compliant.  You have to read the labels on all of them to find what is offered in your area.  Or order from them directly online.  Same with Pederson's, not all of the bacon in the store is compliant either.

Hello fellow Jan 2 starters,

This will be my first successful Whole 30.  My husband and I half heartedly tried it a year ago and even though we weren't 100% compliant we felt amazing.  This time is for real, business travel is NOT an excuse.

Good luck to you all....we CAN do it!

Amber 

Hi, guys!  Started my third whole30 yesterday.  I did two almost back to back early last year that were, in fact, life changing. I am doing this one for more specific information when reintroduction come. So, glad to be on this journey with you all! Have been reading your posts and catching up. I find these group threads to be incredibly helpful.  It’s great to have such a mix of “rookies” and “veterans “.  

@D.M. Yes, I think no snacks is the goal. That was definitely a takeaway for me from my first that has stuck. But it doesn’t happen immediately.  The first week or so can be so hard.  If you are hungry, you should eat! I believe we are supposed to try to have snacks that include all three groups (protein, veggies, and fat) but AT LEAST two those. Give yourself permission to snack at least for the first week or two. But notice when you need it...either your previous meal wasn’t large enough, or it’s habit, not hunger. 

@DebCoop109 re:thinking about food all the time making you hungry. 1. If you are hungry, eat.  2. Make a plan and do some prep. If you have a plan, you will spend less time thinking about what comes next. And 3. This can be a HUGE change for some people. I thought I cooked a lot before but the prep and planning for this was so time consuming. But I promise it gets easier. Planning and prepping become second nature.  You learn when/where shortcuts are worth extra money (frozen riced cauliflower and pre-peeled and cut butternut squash come to mind).  

@LaVesta re: cauliflower tortillas...would love to see a mod pipe in here.  On one hand, one of the cool things about this is trying new things...some of which you find you like and become permanent changes.  On the other hand we are supposed to avoid “sex with your pants on”, or recreating non compliant foods with compliant ingredients...

re: black coffee...I hate it too. In my normal life I am used to a little stevia and nut pods, but when I can’t have the stevia, the nutpods don’t really cut it for me either.  The best coffee on whole30 for me is this: put 1/4 cup of coffee, 1/4 cup of coconut CREAM, and EITHER 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa (I like the cinnamon best) in the blender.  Pour this in your mug and fill the rest with coffee. It won’t replace a latte, but it works for me for 30 days...and I find I use less stevia when I go back.

i got an instapot for Christmas...would love some recipes for it if you guys have any!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, LaVesta said:

Serious question... I know we are not supposed to use whole30 ingedients to make a substitute for our "treat", since technically,  we are trying to break that addiction.  So, would making cauliflower tortillas be considered that? 

Yep, any type of baked good no matter what it's made with is out... no banana egg pancakes, no cauliflower tortillas, no mashed potato buns... 

Me too! Being down with the flu and having no appetite was the best part of having the flu as it made it easier to stop the sugar and not suffer since I was already suffering!

I have done paleo before, it is my basic way of eating now. Except for cheating! Which I will NOT be doing anymore. I have been having much much better luck with self control than usual which I am really excited about!

Need to get a little more back on my feet from being sick so I can get back to more serious exercising!

18 hours ago, JohannaE said:

Personally, I think using almond butter to satisfying a craving is a bigger deal than eating a trace amount of honey you didn't know was in it. That said, it's day one so you may as well. I probably generally would just let it slide - I once had a restaurant serve me something incorrectly pretty far into a Whole30 and took a bite of brussels sprouts fried in peanut oil, and I didn't start over.

Thank you!

39 minutes ago, Mountain Girl said:

Hi, guys!  Started my third whole30 yesterday.  I did two almost back to back early last year that were, in fact, life changing. I am doing this one for more specific information when reintroduction come. So, glad to be on this journey with you all! Have been reading your posts and catching up. I find these group threads to be incredibly helpful.  It’s great to have such a mix of “rookies” and “veterans “.  

@D.M. Yes, I think no snacks is the goal. That was definitely a takeaway for me from my first that has stuck. But it doesn’t happen immediately.  The first week or so can be so hard.  If you are hungry, you should eat! I believe we are supposed to try to have snacks that include all three groups (protein, veggies, and fat) but AT LEAST two those. Give yourself permission to snack at least for the first week or two. But notice when you need it...either your previous meal wasn’t large enough, or it’s habit, not hunger. 

@DebCoop109 re:thinking about food all the time making you hungry. 1. If you are hungry, eat.  2. Make a plan and do some prep. If you have a plan, you will spend less time thinking about what comes next. And 3. This can be a HUGE change for some people. I thought I cooked a lot before but the prep and planning for this was so time consuming. But I promise it gets easier. Planning and prepping become second nature.  You learn when/where shortcuts are worth extra money (frozen riced cauliflower and pre-peeled and cut butternut squash come to mind).  

@LaVesta re: cauliflower tortillas...would love to see a mod pipe in here.  On one hand, one of the cool things about this is trying new things...some of which you find you like and become permanent changes.  On the other hand we are supposed to avoid “sex with your pants on”, or recreating non compliant foods with compliant ingredients...

re: black coffee...I hate it too. In my normal life I am used to a little stevia and nut pods, but when I can’t have the stevia, the nutpods don’t really cut it for me either.  The best coffee on whole30 for me is this: put 1/4 cup of coffee, 1/4 cup of coconut CREAM, and EITHER 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa (I like the cinnamon best) in the blender.  Pour this in your mug and fill the rest with coffee. It won’t replace a latte, but it works for me for 30 days...and I find I use less stevia when I go back.

i got an instapot for Christmas...would love some recipes for it if you guys have any!

Thank you.  I guess I need to eat a bigger lunch if I am going to forgo the snack.  I eat lunch at 11:30 and don't get dinner til 6:30-7:30...so I need a pick me up in the middle of that or I get HANGRY.  Really appreciate all your comments!

Hi all - just wanted to chime in and introduce myself! I also started yesterday 1/2/18, and I thiiiiink this is my 6th round? My first was over 3 years ago, and since then I've stayed mostly w30 and have found my food freedom. I just love completing a round in January to set myself up for a great year. Have a little headache today, but other than that feeling pretty good. I usually get super bloated right in the beginning but that hasn't happened yet, knock on wood!!

PS anyone know how to delete a post?!

Hello all!  I haven't introduced myself yet but I just finished reading the posts on this thread and love how active this one is.  I also started yesterday.  This is my second Whole30.  My first was August-September but in the last few months I have totally went back to my old ways!  I am really hoping to work on finding my food freedom after this round.  The first round was actually really easy for me, so I am not sure why I let so much crappy food back in afterwards.  Oh well, it's in the past and it can all be changed going forward.  Happy day 2 everyone!

4 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

It is in the book, but that's okay! Fat is necessary for the body's absorption of nutrients. It also helps with satiety (feeling full). Whole30 fats include coconut in all forms (oil, flakes, etc.), olives and olive oil, avocados and avocado oil, homemade mayonnaise, ghee (clarified butter), salad dressings and more. I don't like plain mayonnaise, but it makes a great base for creamy sauces and salad dressings. In a pinch, like when I don't have a sauce or dressing prepared, I'll just grab some olives and eat those with my meal. The Whole30 book and the Well Fed book have amazing sauce recipes that work well as fat with meals.

Is it possible to be eating too much fat? For instance, yesterday I had the curry chicken salad, which has the whole30 mayo (1/2 cup). Granted, not eating all 1/2 a cup cuz I split it into portions. Then the dinner I had from the cookbook had 3 tablespoons of ghee total.  Just wanna make sure I’m not overdoing it.

It's great reading everyone's experiences so far - thank you all for the inspiration! Day 2 has been not so bad for me since this cold/flu/whatever I have has rendered me feeling not so hungry which actually works well right now. Interestingly, as bad as I feel with the illness, I do feel better "inside" somehow - less bloated too. Today was 2 hard-boiled eggs and some slices of prosciutto for breakfast with black coffee and a glass of sparking water. Lunch is riced broccoli with the other half of the Perfect Burger I started last night for dinner. I bought the riced broccoli from the store already riced - much easier to just microwave it! I also got some unsweetened (no sugar) almond/cashew milk since I'm getting bored already with just coffee, tea and water to drink... it's OK to drink that, right?

Oh, and I finally took the photo of myself I was supposed to take on Day 0 but failed to do. (Ugh.) I'm now craving curry after reading the post about that!

4 hours ago, Heather_Scherf said:

My husband and I started yesterday!! My 4th round and his 1st. He was cranky yesterday but today he was better prepared with what to take to work! Feel so happy to be back on Whole30!

I wasn't prepared enough for day 1 - hit Whole Foods big time last night.  Good for you both for having each other for support!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, D.M. said:

Thank you.  I guess I need to eat a bigger lunch if I am going to forgo the snack.  I eat lunch at 11:30 and don't get dinner til 6:30-7:30...so I need a pick me up in the middle of that or I get HANGRY.  Really appreciate all your comments!

The goal is to eat meals that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. If you have longer than that between meals, you may need a mini meal somewhere in there,  and that's fine. Try to have a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. 

Archived