Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

@lagunarover Good for you for going to book club!! I skipped a wine club dinner last weekend because I just didn't feel like being around all the wine!!! But this weekend we have a different event that I will go to.  We each bring a dish, so I'm looking for something to take that will fill me up if that's all I can eat. I"m going to look at a Shepherd's Pie recipe.   

I too haven't felt like my clothes are looser or anything, but I am really enjoying the food and can see myself doing Whole30 to some degree for longer than 30 days. Maybe it is because we are over 50 that it's taking a bit longer to see results, but I do feel better and have a more energy so here are some NSV's to celebrate!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you feel like your Whole30 progress isn’t showing you results fast enough, I’d like to share a thought I had this morning.  It occurred to me that a huge NSV for me was the feeling of control I’ve been having.  Everyone has so much in their life that they have zero control over.  Those things we can’t control affect us, our lives, our loved ones, and we have to deal with the fallout every day.  Each day we have to, once again, reconcile ourselves and accept them.  Controlling what you eat via the Whole 30, and doing it day after day, has slowly given me a feeling of power that I quite enjoy.  It resonates.  I CAN control something that affects me in a very big way.  It feels GOOD.

I am surprised to realize that the hardest part of the Whole30 for me so far is to deal with my emotional eating habits. I find the whole30 meals really tasty and I do not feel deprived of anything. However, I find it so difficult not to fall back into old, bad habits of self-medicating with food when something feels off. I have been feeling exhausted and a bit sick the past couple of days and my first reflex is always to want to eat something, especially carbs, fat and sugar, in order to deal with my feelings. I am really happy  (and a little proud of myself also :-)) that I have managed to stay strong and not give in to these strong cravings. It helps me to inhale peppermint essential oil and I keep a journal to write down my emotions. Meditation also helps me a lot to deal with stress and fatigue. It also helps me to distract myself for long enough until the cravings pass. So far, the Whole30 has been a really good and important experience for me. Realizing the extent and power of my emotional eating habits and (the process of) learning to deal with my emotions without food is a big NSV for me. 

So awesome to hear the group's progress and hearing how you're seeing positive change!  No burst of tigers blood for me yet but I don't know that I'll be one that sees a big light switch moment anyway. I am seeing progress though, not getting the mid afternoon crashes, snack cravings are going away, and headaches are gone. I do still have a pretty low tolerance for "stupid" at work, gotta work on that positive attitude! :) 

Also started with a new personal trainer last week, my former guy moved out of state so finding someone that clicks with me has been a bit of a journey. I'm usually a first thing in the morning gym rat but my new trainer does the day shift. He's able to meet me after work so am making a habit shift to see him at 6pm. We worked out last night and it was FANTASTIC! Best workout I've had in a long time. I made sure I got a pre workout compliant snack which I'm sure helped. I've got the next month mapped out with him from a workout perspective and I think I'll probably be extending W30 because clean healthy eating is going to be critical to achieving my goals.

Congrats to all of us for making it into week 3!  

3 hours ago, Kathy from Texas said:

@lagunarover Good for you for going to book club!! I skipped a wine club dinner last weekend because I just didn't feel like being around all the wine!!! But this weekend we have a different event that I will go to.  We each bring a dish, so I'm looking for something to take that will fill me up if that's all I can eat. I"m going to look at a Shepherd's Pie recipe.   

I too haven't felt like my clothes are looser or anything, but I am really enjoying the food and can see myself doing Whole30 to some degree for longer than 30 days. Maybe it is because we are over 50 that it's taking a bit longer to see results, but I do feel better and have a more energy so here are some NSV's to celebrate!

Kathy - yes!  I modified the shepherd's pie recipe to include veggies I had in the fridge, so onions, garlic, carrots, celery and leeks made it in there this time! Also, I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes so I use regular mashed potatoes for the topping and I put slices of salami on top of that so it goes crispy in the oven.  It's very filling since you have meat, potatoes and veggies all in one dish!  And other people love it too so you will be just fine!

My tummy is a little less bloated today - yes! Not exactly flat, but progress for sure... maybe week 3 is our week! :-)

I think the tiger blood has hit!  If that is what prompted me to get into high gear and make "perfect burgers" last night, then roast spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes; and while those were roasting, making the downright SCRUMPTIOUS mashed cauliflower!  Went to bed a little later than usual; slept till 5 and took the dog for a power walk/jog.  It felt SO GOOD!

Also - confession/confusion time - I am not sure how it is I fit into those jeans, b/c my other clothes still just slightly less snug, and other smaller things aren't really fitting yet.  I must have stretched them out so much last time I tried to get into them :huh: ... and with less bloat I was able to zip them up.  Who knows?  It's baffling to me - but I don't care - I feel SO GOOD!   I know I am walking taller.  I feel happier.  I find I am being gentler with strangers, too.  I work in SF, and pedestrians and cars alike can be so annoying, but I've been much calmer when getting cut off by a car while in a crosswalk; or when someone with head buried in phone just plain stops right in the middle of the sidewalk... 

Anyway, I am LOVING the food.  Referring to the W30 book is making me a better cook.  I never looked up how to make a burger before (how hard can it be?), and now, I see what I have been doing wrong!  Day by Day is a great way to track everything and as someone above said, moving that marker to the next page is really satisfying.  I am also thinking of slowly adding back in only wine after the 30 days, bc birthday, and then continuing with W40 through Lent.  I support a team going to trial right after Easter and I am finding this way of eating and behavior modification is totally busting stress issues for me!

Sorry for the long winded-ness, but I really feel like this challenge is a winner!

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, WholeCourtney said:

@WholeCourtney thanks for the recipes, I'm looking forward to trying them on my cheese and salami loving guests.

It's actually baking powder that has corn starch, and I was able to find one on Amazon, it was pricy, but compliant. I now can make my husband his buffalo wings:)  

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, OHMaryF said:

I made these wings last year for the Super Bowl (I started my first Whole 30 mid January last year). They were good. 

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/paleo-buffalo-chicken-wings/

Thanks Mary, that's the recipe I found too, good to know they are delicious.  He's gonna love them.  

I have struggled with anxiety all my life and I really notice a difference with that! I don't feel nearly as anxious about things in my everyday life. it's still there, and it always will be unfortunately, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before starting this, and I've had zero anxiety attacks, so for me that's a huge success! I think the tiger blood is starting a bit slow for me, but I think today it started because I feel a difference. I'm feeling cheerier and really productive at work this week. At the start of this I wasn't finding everyone around me all that funny, but I feel like I have my humor back! All in all, this week has been good :) 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I have struggled with anxiety all my life and I really notice a difference with that! I don't feel nearly as anxious about things in my everyday life. it's still there, and it always will be unfortunately, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before starting this, and I've had zero anxiety attacks, so for me that's a huge success! I think the tiger blood is starting a bit slow for me, but I think today it started because I feel a difference. I'm feeling cheerier and really productive at work this week. At the start of this I wasn't finding everyone around me all that funny, but I feel like I have my humor back! All in all, this week has been good :) 

Everyone's tiget blood looks different... yours might be zero anxiety attacks and a good sense of humor... don't dismiss that amazing NSV just because it doesn't look like someone else's boundless energy. :) 

This weekend will be the most challenging for me. We're headed to New York City (to see Hamilton!), where there is so much food (bagels!) and so many friends who want to grab a drink! We've found a couple great places for meals that I'm actually looking forward to, and are going to make it a lower key weekend than we likely otherwise would. I do take satisfaction in knowing that it will surely be a healthier weekend than it otherwise would have been!

18 hours ago, dianne m said:

I am also thinking of slowly adding back in only wine after the 30 days, bc birthday, and then continuing with W40 through Lent.  I support a team going to trial right after Easter and I am finding this way of eating and behavior modification is totally busting stress issues for me!

Sorry for the long winded-ness, but I really feel like this challenge is a winner!

Hurray for your NSV's!. I am in the metro DC area so I understand the challenges of staying ....friendly... while dealing with traffic and pedestrians. I seem to remember a thread in the forum of people doing a Whole 30 during Lent and I am also going to start again Ash Wednesday.

I am enjoying the cooking and have tried some different recipes. Last night I made the turkey meatballs from the Fast and Easy cookbook, spaghetti squash (which turned out good), and the spaghetti sauce from Whole 30 book. It was so good and husband loved it. He is not doing Whole30 (yet :), but he has celiac. All of the gluten free pastas I have made for him end up very gummy though he still eats it. I think he may be ok with switching to spaghetti squash. 

15 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

That's wonderful. The Whole30 helps me with my mental health, too. It's not a complete cure for me either, but it makes a huge difference.

Y'all, I would just like to echo again how freaking amazing Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili is. I made a double batch a couple days ago and usually I freeze half, but this time my husband and I are just eating our way through it! Let it simmer as long as possible and you will really taste the difference. I like to throw a big handful of fresh spinach in my bowl and mix it in to get more veggies in there.

Tonight I'll be making Nom Nom Paleo's sheet pan chicken fajitas with avocado crema. I'll report back and let everyone know how it is. It's only now, on my fourth Whole30, that I'm getting the hang of cooking on a schedule without it taking over my life or randomly running out of food in the middle of the week. Practice makes perfect, I guess!

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/06/13/20170613sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas-avocado-crema

18 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

That's wonderful. The Whole30 helps me with my mental health, too. It's not a complete cure for me either, but it makes a huge difference.

Y'all, I would just like to echo again how freaking amazing Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili is. I made a double batch a couple days ago and usually I freeze half, but this time my husband and I are just eating our way through it! Let it simmer as long as possible and you will really taste the difference. I like to throw a big handful of fresh spinach in my bowl and mix it in to get more veggies in there.

Tonight I'll be making Nom Nom Paleo's sheet pan chicken fajitas with avocado crema. I'll report back and let everyone know how it is. It's only now, on my fourth Whole30, that I'm getting the hang of cooking on a schedule without it taking over my life or randomly running out of food in the middle of the week. Practice makes perfect, I guess!

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/06/13/20170613sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas-avocado-crema

I made those fajitas the other night and they were delicious!  Putting them on a metal rack to cook is definitely key!!  I did not try the Avocado Crema, I used a creamy avocado sauce from Stupid Easy Paleo, so I can't say how her's is, but overall it was amazing!

1 hour ago, diamonds422 said:

I am going to try the chocolate chili this weekend.  I just pin'd the recipe.

16 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I have also struggled with anxiety (fatigue, headaches) my whole life.  The 1st whole30 I completed last April was so amazing!  The fact that I could feel great by changing what I ate.

I was on a journey to feel better after having my first child.  I was so tired and crabby all the time.  I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and felt great after starting treatment.  After a while I went back to my old way of feeling yucky a lot.  Since April (or May) I have been eating pretty close to whole30 because I know it makes me feel better.  But I don't always make good choices (emotional eating has been a problem for a long time), food hanger-overs are terrible.

1 hour ago, nicoledawn913 said:

I made those fajitas the other night and they were delicious!  Putting them on a metal rack to cook is definitely key!!  I did not try the Avocado Crema, I used a creamy avocado sauce from Stupid Easy Paleo, so I can't say how her's is, but overall it was amazing!

I remembered as soon as I posted that I had gotten that recipe from someone on here. I've had the tab open to the recipe at work since you mentioned it to our group haha. Thanks for sharing it!

Yea day 18! 

Someone at work this morning told me I was looking really good and that she could see some changes in my tummy area! (She's a good work friend so that wasn't an inappropriate comment, by the way...) In fact today I do see and feel some changes.  I'm wearing a pair of pants which used to be uncomfortably tight and now they are just tight (hey, I'll take that!) I have a few go-to dishes that I eat all the time and always have leftovers, and this weekend I'll experiment with some other recipes too. My work days are manic with meetings the entire day, including lunch meetings, and I just go in there with my compliant food and fill myself up while ignoring all the other food unless there are some items I know I can eat too.

How is everyone doing this Friday?

Hey guys, 

I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts.  I haven't been on in a while... super busy in here and we had a nasty cold go through the family that has knocked me for a loop.  I really wanted a warm bowl of oatmeal to help with the sore throat and I find oatmeal to be a comfort food.  So, instead, I made homemade unsweetened applesauce and had that with some scrambled eggs and leftover veggies.  I have a bunch of friends who are doing W30 too and they have a facebook page and I get frustrated when I read about what they are eating.  They are using compliant ingredients but making pancakes and muffins and other things that look delish but I am going strict W30 so I share posts of my avocados and sweet potatoes with eggs and roasted veggies, or my big ol' taco salad.  I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it.  For some reason, it's been harder this time around.  (This is my second whole 30).  I don't know if it is because it is winter and I live in a cold state and just want comfort food lately or what but boy, I have to give myself pep talks all day long.  

Dinner smells awesome tonight.  I am slow cooking a pot roast with chicken broth, lime, garlic, cumin and coriander and I will pull it apart and serve it on top of a salad for myself and serve with tortillas and taco fixings for the crew.  Made up my meal plan for the next week or so:

Crackling Chicken Thighs with sweet potato, roasted zuchinni and summer squash with onions, salad.

Chicken Sausage Stirfry

Lemon and Thyme Roasted Chicken with veggie medley and roasted potatoes

Baked Lemon Cod with steamed asparagus and salad

Crock Pot Pork Chops with warm apples, mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, and spinach salad

Pan Steak and veggies

What's cookin' in your neck of the woods?

21 hours ago, elizabeth.joan said:

Someone dear to me has struggled with anxiety her whole life too and when she cut out sugar, it greatly diminished.  It is amazing how much food affects our bodies.  I am so glad that you are experiencing such an awesome NSV!  :)

3 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

Someone dear to me has struggled with anxiety her whole life too and when she cut out sugar, it greatly diminished.  It is amazing how much food affects our bodies.  I am so glad that you are experiencing such an awesome NSV!  :)

7 hours ago, TamMarie said:

I have also struggled with anxiety (fatigue, headaches) my whole life.  The 1st whole30 I completed last April was so amazing!  The fact that I could feel great by changing what I ate.

I was on a journey to feel better after having my first child.  I was so tired and crabby all the time.  I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and felt great after starting treatment.  After a while I went back to my old way of feeling yucky a lot.  Since April (or May) I have been eating pretty close to whole30 because I know it makes me feel better.  But I don't always make good choices (emotional eating has been a problem for a long time), food hanger-overs are terrible.

21 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Everyone's tiget blood looks different... yours might be zero anxiety attacks and a good sense of humor... don't dismiss that amazing NSV just because it doesn't look like someone else's boundless energy. :) 

Glad to hear that other people are also experiencing positive changes in their mental health! Thanks, everyone :)

@LagunaRover - YAY!!  It's amazing how just feeling better in your clothes makes you feel so good, but when someone comments - that's the best!  

Last night we had a little going away gathering for a friend who will be on leave for a bit.  This is my social group at work and we do love our wine.  I had a lime cut in my office, ready to go if I needed it as camouflage; black olives ready to cut open should I need them.  Thought I would first peruse the scene of the party - so, I did - and they had grapes, sugar snap peas and guacamole - all compliant. I took a small plate and poured sparkling water in a wine glass and had a blast.  Did not take one bite or sip that was off plan.  I felt so strong and empowered when I left - it was a great feeling!

This weekend and next week - more challenges involving overnighters for fun and then travel for work.  I am taking a cooler with my food/water.  Seems the best way and I'm not going to be apologetic about it.  

@MaineacMom - your meal plan looks scrumptious!  Go girl!  Way to combat the cold.  What a tough winter.

Day 18 felt really solid.  Hoping the rest of the month is as strong and uplifting!  

Have a great weekend everyone!!

10 hours ago, dianne m said:

@LagunaRover - YAY!!  It's amazing how just feeling better in your clothes makes you feel so good, but when someone comments - that's the best!  

Last night we had a little going away gathering for a friend who will be on leave for a bit.  This is my social group at work and we do love our wine.  I had a lime cut in my office, ready to go if I needed it as camouflage; black olives ready to cut open should I need them.  Thought I would first peruse the scene of the party - so, I did - and they had grapes, sugar snap peas and guacamole - all compliant. I took a small plate and poured sparkling water in a wine glass and had a blast.  Did not take one bite or sip that was off plan.  I felt so strong and empowered when I left - it was a great feeling!

Wow - that's great Dianne! Congrats for making it through that event - this is very inspiring!  Hope your weekend is just as successful. Keep us posted! :-)

Have just gone through all of your posts, so great to hear all of the NSVs!!! Very exciting!!

I have had a crazy week with work so haven’t had much time to get on here - time outside of the office seemed to be used up in the kitchen and the gym (not that I’m complaining) - I was so exhausted heading into bed most nights, so I started to wonder if I would ever get “tiger blood”, but thanks to the Day by Day book, and a few articles online, I reset my expectations and realized that my energy has actually been really good. I powered through 10 hour work days without a second thought, fit a workout in every day except yesterday, and still managed to cook and eat good suppers AND finish the dishes afterwards. Thinking of everything I accomplished, it was no wonder I was ready for bed at night!!

Dinners this past week included stuffed peppers (W30 book), grilled chicken with salad (different salads dif. nights), chicken with vegetables in a curry sauce (amazing!). Lunch was leftovers and breakfast was chicken sausage patties (W30 book) with salad topped with either coconut, olives, or mayo based dressing).  

We have my husbands work Christmas party tonight (yes, it’s a month late!). It’s a pre-set menu, so I’m going to be eating before-hand and then bringing an emergency snack in my purse in case it goes a bit late. I feel like if I can get through tonight, the last 10 days or so will be no problem! And I’m definitely motivated/inspired by all of your success stories with your events and nights out. 

I hope everyone has a great W30 weekend!

Archived