Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, RroseR said:

Is it possible to be eating too much fat? For instance, yesterday I had the curry chicken salad, which has the whole30 mayo (1/2 cup). Granted, not eating all 1/2 a cup cuz I split it into portions. Then the dinner I had from the cookbook had 3 tablespoons of ghee total.  Just wanna make sure I’m not overdoing it.

It's hard to consistently overeat fat if you're having meals with a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables. Don't worry about. Some meals may have a little more fat than the template calls for, and that's fine. Sometimes you have a meal where it just sounds good to have multiple fats that might add up to more than the average serving, like if you had a salad with olives, avocado, and salad dressing, and that's totally okay. If you find you're consistently not hungry until 6 or more hours after a previous meal, then that would be a sign you may be having too much fat.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, I started yesterday as well.  This is my second W30 (I successfully completed my first in July but didn't reintroduce properly).  I have a TON of food allergies so W30 is pretty close to how I normally eat.  I am allergic to gluten, dairy, yeast, and a myriad of other little thigns so I am used to avoiding foods or finding substitutions. The hard part is not grabbing a coconut milk yogurt or gluten free english muffin or SUGAR.  I am a bit of a sugar junky and once I get a little bit, it takes over.  With my last W30 I lost 15lbs and felt amazing.  I am a busy homeschooling momma of 6 so it is hard to squeeze in workouts but I need to start making exercise a priority.  I love the way I feel on W30 and I am excited to see how round 2 goes.  So grateful for the accountability!  :)

Day 1 got off to a bit of a rocky start as I just wasn't hungry and I got up late so I wound up having 2 meals and then more of a snack instead of a 3rd meal since it was late.

Today has been going well. As someone else mentioned I forgot how much I enjoy this food!

Breakfast was a potato, onion, pepper, and egg scramble. with a side of apple and cashew butter. Lunch was some leftover flank steak from last night over some leftover breakfast scramble with a drizzle of chimichurri sauce and some cherries on the side.

For dinner Im having some cod, I think a fish taco bowl but we shall see how inspiration strikes :)

I like a little coffee with my creamer. Since that is out, I tried hot tea yesterday morning. I didn’t like that, so this morning, I sipped on som bone broth. Yum!  I’ll be doing that again. I’m having to fight through caffeine withdrawal, but it isn’t as bad as it has been in the past. Last night, I cooked a pork chop dish out of Fast & Easy. It was very good. Also, I made the Broccoli and Kale Soup out of that book and added roasted jalapeños!  Another winner!  What have y’all been cooking? 

7 hours ago, Lizzi26 said:

Hi hope everyone is doing well! Day 2 so far so good here. 

I saw that Applegate products are whole 30 compliant but it does say cane sugar on ingredients anyone know anything about this?? Thanks! 

Some Applegate products might be compliant, but if cane sugar is on the ingredients list that one isn't!

Day 2 down! We had snow here for the first time in forever, so I was cooped up all day. Breakfast was an egg muffin and some sweet potato fries. Lunch was a tuna salad and dinner was another salad with roasted chicken thighs. I need to get back to the gym once the weather clears up.

What do you guys do for exercise?

On 1/2/2018 at 2:49 PM, diamonds422 said:

Happy day 1 to all! I'm back for my fourth and it is my husband's third. Did my first one last February and it changed my life. My relationship with food is completely different now. But I'm human, so I returned to some unhealthy habits over the holidays. As enjoyable as that was, I really started to feel like crap in the end (low energy, headaches, difficulty concentrating) and have missed how good I used to feel. So, here I am again!

I am not a pro by any means, but I have a few tips that may be helpful if it's your first time:

1. Follow the suggested meal template the best that you can. This will prevent hunger at inopportune times and can lessen the initial unpleasant symptoms that often make week 1 difficult. It will also help bring the tiger blood eventually. The hardest part for me is getting enough veggies, especially at breakfast. 

2. EAT THE FAT. I know, I know. We've been told our whole lives how bad fat is for us. Well, it's not. Not if you follow the template, which calls for a thumb-sized portion of a compliant fat in addition to any fat used for cooking. And believe me, you will be hungry if you leave it out. "Oh, but surely skipping the fat will help me lose weight faster..." you secretly think to yourself, even though you know weight loss is not the main focus. But you think wrong, because it won't. Eat the fat! 

3. My favorite recipes are the salmon cakes with tartar sauce from the Whole30 book and Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili. But don't feel like you have to make labor-intensive recipes on a daily basis. 

4. The breakfast struggle is real. Think of it as Meal 1 instead of breakfast and eat leftovers in the morning if you're sick of eggs or don't like them to begin with. 

I just can’t make myself eat in the mornings. 

Hello! I started my first Whole30 yesterday and so far.... yesterday went great; today I was crabby, sweaty, lethargic...not my best. That hangover they talk about in the book is real! I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. Looking forward to my morning hot coffee/banana/coconut oil/almond milk latte with my egg muffin tomorrow. Happy Whole30ing all :)

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Mommo4 said:

morning hot coffee/banana/coconut oil/almond milk latte

Sorry, this is actually against the rules... it's called SWYPO (sex with your pants on) and making sweet luxurious coffee creamers out of a bunch of random ingredients and a pinch of magic is not on... try finding Nutpods or Califia creamers if you want something in your coffee but the banana thing has to go, sorry.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Garden Gal said:

I just can’t make myself eat in the mornings. 

Here's a good post in a good thread about breakfast and why you can't 'make' yourself eat it... it's a hormone thing my dear and the only way around it is through it... 

Ok, so I would REALLY like a glass of wine. But, I am sipping cinnamon tea and checking in with you guys instead. Last night I made the biggest batch of unstuffed cabbage rolls...counting on it for lunch today. My fridge is still full of holiday leftovers that I can’t eat...and my kids ate all the leftover unstuffed cabbage, so I had to scramble for lunch. I ended up with turkey breast wrapped around carrots and dipped in guacamole. 

So, tonight I made my single serving of leftovers for lunch tomorrow before I even served dinner and hid them in the back of the fridge. They think there are none. I made a ton of spaghetti squash tonight. Topped it with browned house-made Italian sausage and sun dried tomatoes and pesto. It was colorful and delicious. We have a ton of leftover spaghetti squash which will return as hashbrown patties for breakfast with some eggs and a little prosciutto. 

@Mountain Girl

I label all of my leftovers so kids and hubby don't snatch them. :) I don't know if you like fish but I've found that keeping a bag of frozen wild caught salmon fillets helps when I'm in a pinch. I bake it with ghee and a bit of lemon and serve it up with sweet potato and some steamed broccoli and a salad.  

Your spaghetti squash with sausage and pesto sounds amazing!!! Well done. :)

1 hour ago, thewholeamy said:

Day 2 down! We had snow here for the first time in forever, so I was cooped up all day. Breakfast was an egg muffin and some sweet potato fries. Lunch was a tuna salad and dinner was another salad with roasted chicken thighs. I need to get back to the gym once the weather clears up.

What do you guys do for exercise?

Hi thewholeamy,

I like to mix up my workout routine with free weights, pilates and dance workouts. I just hop onto YouTube and subscribe to a few channels. Right now I really enjoy bodyfit by Amy. She mixes it up and uses kettle bells and free weights in many of her workouts.  When the weather is nice I enjoy walking with friends. :)

3 minutes ago, Mountain Girl said:

@MaineacMom thanks!  I knew I would be short on time today and was counting on leftovers, but the salmon sounds awesome as a fall back. Or even a “desperation dinner”. And as it happens, I have a freezer full of wild caught salmon from my husband’S trip to Alaska. Do you thaw it first? Or bake it frozen?

Ok, I'm jealous about the freezer full of salmon. How awesome is that?! I bake it frozen because it is my fall back/desperation dinner. :)

Well, I had a bit of a bumpy day 2.  I didn't sleep well last night and started to feel some of the  "hangover":  queasy this morning and a persistent headache that started late afternoon and is only now starting to wane.  I think I did pretty well with food. Breakfast was a frittata (egg, turkey, spinach) topped with compliant guacamole---I love the Good Foods single serve guacamole cups!  Lunch was a stuffed pepper from the recipe in the Whole30 book and dinner was left over beef stew and steamed broccoli.  I had a couple of cups of black tea in the morning then switched to sparkling water.  Fingers crossed for a good night's sleep!

I am amused that I went to my computer in a bit of a panic at dinner time to learn to make a rib eye steak; find out if it's okay to eat this program with a fatty liver diagnosis (a bit after the fact while eating said steak!); figure out which book on Kindle (have 3) said something about drinking water while eating ... gave up & searched this forum to determine how long it's recommended to wait after a meal to drink water ... ... ...

How ancestors managed I will never know!

TIP - if you haven't purchased the W30 Day by Day journal/tip book/handy bit of encouragement - I highly recommend it.  I just about burst into tears when I got home & saw that it had arrived.  All the pages & key things I have been printing/bookmarking from the website are there along with kind (tough) guidance from Melissa.

I am definitely feeling some hangover/flu-type symptoms today. I love checking in with the whole 30 timeline to see that that’s normal and expected. Waiting for the big storm; if we get a snow day tomorrow I will be slow-cooking “Sunday gravy” recipe to have with zoodles; also gonna make and freeze “thanksgiving turkey bites”- a little meat patty with cranberry, Brussels sprouts and other thanksgiving flavors. Really looking forward to that one! I have everything to make a salsa w mango or pineapple plus tomato etc and avocado that can then go with fish. I kind of hope we do get snowed in! Best wishes to all. 

How's everyone doing? I'm still LOVING this food! I've been really tired, but never experienced "the hangover" on past Whole30s so I think it may be a bit of a bug/actually still recovering from sleep deficit over the weekend.

I've gone pretty far off my meal plan, but it's worked out! Last night I REALLY didn't feel like cooking, but knew I'd run out of things to eat for breakfast and lunch if I didn't... or have to eat pulled pork for every meal :huh:.  I made stuffed plantains instead of the full pastelon, which was easier but not quite as yummy.  This morning I had a bit of extra time, so instead of the egg muffins I made portobello mushrooms, brussels sprouts, chicken sausage, fried egg and avocado. :wub:

unnamed-1.jpg

9 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

Ok, I'm jealous about the freezer full of salmon. How awesome is that?! I bake it frozen because it is my fall back/desperation dinner. :)

I want a freezer full of fresh caught salmon! I never knew you could bake frozen! Do you just cook longer? Or different temp?

Archived