Banana + Egg Pancakes?

Eda Mommee

Hello! I am starting my first ever Whole30 on January 1st.  I'm super excited & I can't wait to see all the changes headed my way :) In reading through the Whole30 book and reading online on your amazing website, I keep running across this 'no treat' thing.....I'd like to make the ever famous Banana & Egg Pancakes, but I understand that they are not allowed?  Technically the banana and the egg are approved foods, but this pancake is not?  I'm thinking a yummy breakfast taco or biscuit type grab and go for sausage (not to douse in butter and syrup)  I understand the basic concept that we are trying to change unhealthy food habits and often times a very unhealthy relationship with food.  On the other hand, many other recipes could be construed as 'treats' as well right? Meatballs, Frittatas, Salsas...to name just a few.  So, where should I draw the line?  From an ingredient standpoint, would it be safe to say that these pancakes would still be on your approved list of foods?  The unapproved status belongs only from a psychological standpoint?  Just looking for more clarification as I embark on this journey.  I definitely do not want to compromise my results in any way.   Thank you dearly for any feedback you are willing to send my way!!

Jill

• Moderators

Egg and banana pancakes are not allowed, because it says so in the rules -- if you commit to a Whole30, you commit to all the rules, even the ones that don't make sense or that you feel don't apply to you. Here's the rules, if you need a refresher:  https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/ 

Pancakes will never ever be on the approved list of foods, regardless of ingredients.  You might find this article about SWYPO: https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/ and this one about a form of paleo wraps:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/ helpful in understanding this reasoning.

You are always free to leave out other foods that you do have psychological or physical issues with -- there are no foods that you must eat in order to do a Whole30. If you have a wicked frittata addiction and feel you need to address that, a Whole30 is a great time to try new and different recipes and break that habit. But the reality is, most people are more likely to crave/have unhealthy psychological relationships with sweets or crunchy/salty foods like salted nuts than they are frittatas, meatballs, or salsa. 

As for grab and go breakfasts, you can make frittatas or breakfast casseroles that can be eaten pretty easily on the go, you can wrap things in lettuce or collard green leaves or even in just a thin omelette of just eggs, you can have blended soups, sausage patties, meatballs, salmon or tuna cakes/patties, -- if you google "Whole30 grab and go breakfast" you should find lots of past discussions on this, as it comes up pretty often.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Eda Mommee said:

I’m hoping you didn’t see my concern as argumentative. It certainly was not my intention.  

I am not Shannon but I feel I can safely say your post was not argumentative.  In the future tho, just for reference, almost everything you will ever wonder or what to know has been discussed on the forum, so you may find googling your topic helpful.  In this case, googling 'whole30 egg banana pancakes' would probably bring you up dozens of threads with this same discussion.

Good luck on your Whole30!!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Eda Mommee said:

I’m hoping you didn’t see my concern as argumentative. It certainly was not my intention.  

No, I didn't. I'm sorry if my answer was a bit terse. I should probably not answer questions at the end of the day when I'm already feeling frazzled and grumpy about other life stuff.

Archived