Need some suggestion

sonflower8099

I have started 2-3 different Whole 30's and never made it past week 3.  My latest was this past June and we had gone on a trip to take our kids to camp and I fell off on the way back when we stopped for a snack and I couldn't get back on track.  I need to feel better.  My problem is my work.  I work for a federally funded preschool and we are supposed to eat meals with the kids.  These are loaded with sugar and breaded foods and other not so good things!  I do have a dr. note to bring my own lunch, but I usually eat the fruit and potatoes (usually instant mashed or french fries).  I wake up at 5 and am out the door around 7.  We eat breakfast (usually cereal and milk or other grainy foods, which I don't eat, usually take a yogurt) at 8:30 and lunch around 11:45 (which is a protein, veggie, fruit and starch).  I do try to eat similar foods to the kids, but lord knows what they get fed isn't healthy.  We don't eat supper at home until around 6. 

I am pretty sure I have sensitivities to FODMAPS, night shades, gluten, and dairy and possibly eggs..  I can't do a lot of meat because it tends to irritate my stomach.  I do take a digestive enzyme when I will be eating a lot of meat.  

I have been dealing with issues for over 7 years and I just want to feel better.  Bloodwork has all been normal.  I know I felt better when I was on the whole 30, but it is so hard to do, especially working full time (I have summers off).  I have a diabetic son, who is also largely gluten free and has been doing great.  

Any suggestions on what to do during work hours?  I do have access to a fridge, microwave and oven at work.  I really want this to work and I lost 15 pounds on it the last time I did it.  I also know I feel like crap if I eat too much sugar.  I can't even tolerate iced tea and coffee much anymore.  

Hi Sonflower, your work situation does sound tough. I've worked in a preschool before, so understand why they want you eating with the kids, but isn't it terrible what not-great options are given to them? Anyways, it sounds like you have started to figure out some work around on your own with the doctors note, and knowing exactly what the obstacles are up front. Do you have any break time during your day? If so, perhaps try eating then, and doing the absolute minimum when the kids eat. I would also recommend stocking up the work fridge with ingredients for quick and easy mini meals:

- hard boiled eggs

- Guac

- Mayo

- Compliant deli meat, or pre-shredded chicken

- cut up veggies (peppers, cucumbers, carrots)

You may just need to think creatively about the timing of when you eat, and be prepared to have a more in-depth conversation with the school about the boundaries of the food policy.

Thanks, Elizabeth G.  I get a break from 10:15 until 10:30 and my boss has no problem with me eating at that time.  Having extra food in the fridge isn't a problem either.  I will have to look at the food lists again.  I sure wish I liked hard boiled eggs since we raise our own chickens and have fresh eggs.  Never could get over the texture! 

Sometimes it is just overwhelming, but I will take the coming week and mentally prepare and when grocery day comes around next Friday, I will get what I need and get started.  I have seen great results, so I know it works, but it gets overwhelming at times!  My dr. is on board with me, too.  

• Moderators

Maybe things like blended soups that you can keep in a thermos or cup and just drink along with your meal? It's not necessarily ideal to drink your meals, but it would be an easy way to get more veggies in, and I wonder if you might have less problem with meats if they were thoroughly cooked and blended so they were as easy as possible to digest? (Maybe it won't make a difference, I don't know, but I would think it might be worth trying.) Also, it would be less obvious that you're eating, especially if you tend to have a drink nearby anyway. Even if you don't do hard boiled eggs, maybe an occasional frittata type thing? They're usually not bad hot or cold, and you can put lots of veggies in it. If you really want it to look more like kid-friendly foods, burger patties, meatballs, or compliant hot dogs or sausages, with homemade baked "french fries" -- cut your potatoes or sweet potatoes in strips, toss them in oil, season them, and roast them in the oven until they get brown and crispy at the edges. They're not as good cold or reheated, but still definitely edible, and you can take a homemade mayo or ranch or even ketchup to dip them in. You could make your own kale chips or zucchini chips or really any kind of vegetable can be sliced thin and baked, some get crispier than others. 

Shannon, it is funny you mentioned drinking it because I have a drink nearby (always my water at lunch).  When I do take my own foods, sometimes the kids want to try those instead of what they are having.  I usually take just cooked chicken, or a plain burger, or something similar if I can.  I will have to do a bit more research this week to decide what i want to do.  Thanks!

Archived