Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes

Alicia Jaybird

This post is a spin-off of a request in the "Off Track/Staying on Track" category. Lack of preparation and stress are the two factors that make it easiest for me to go tumbling off track. I mentioned in that thread that making meals in the slow cooker and portioning them out to eat later in the week or freeze for a mental rainy day is my best response. On that note, I'd love for this post to be a round up of many Whole30ers favorite slow cooker recipes or tips.

My one not-exactly-a-recipe slow cooker tip is to throw chopped carrots, celery, and onions in the bottom of a crockpot. Put a 3-4 lb beef roast in on top of the vegetables. Add salt, pepper, and whatever spices you desire. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Voila! The slow cooker makes everything so simple.

Here are a couple easy to follow recipes that I've enjoyed:

Crock Pot Lemon Pepper Chicken from the Food Lovers' Primal Palate (so easy, moist, and deeelish)

http://www.primal-palate.com/2012/01/crock-pot-lemon-pepper-chicken.html

Top Sirloin Roast from Rubies and Radishes

http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/my-blog/2011/04/grock-pot-top-sirloin-roast.html

To make my Whole30 version of a TV dinner, I'd steam some kale or spinach and maybe make a roasted vegetable mash, then fill Pyrex or Tupperware containers with all three, refrigerate til chilled, then freeze. It is wonderful to be able to come home after a long day, thaw a container from the freezer, and go to town. It feels like cheating because there's no cooking involved at the moment I'm most stressed!

I love this! thanks for creating this thread :)

I recently made the pulled pork in a slow cooker, mentioned in another thread. The link to the recipe is here:

http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/01/09/beyond-easy-pulled-pork/

I also put some onion/celery and layered chicken breasts on top with salt, pepper, parsley & basil (no liquid). I cooked this for around 4-6 hours and then pulled the chicken out and picked it apart to make a chicken salad with chopped red onion, celery, salt, pepper, home made mayo & tossed in some curry spice, walnuts and raisins just b/c i wanted to kick it up a notch but you can leave this out.

I strained the left over chicken juice for a stock to be used with veggies later!

• 4 months later...

I love this! thanks for creating this thread :)

I recently made the pulled pork in a slow cooker, mentioned in another thread. The link to the recipe is here:

http://everydaypaleo...sy-pulled-pork/

I also put some onion/celery and layered chicken breasts on top with salt, pepper, parsley & basil (no liquid). I cooked this for around 4-6 hours and then pulled the chicken out and picked it apart to make a chicken salad with chopped red onion, celery, salt, pepper, home made mayo & tossed in some curry spice, walnuts and raisins just b/c i wanted to kick it up a notch but you can leave this out.

I strained the left over chicken juice for a stock to be used with veggies later!

I'm going to try this today, only without the onions - neither I nor my husband care for onions. If I leave the onions out, will I need something else for moisture?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm making chicken soup in my crockpot right now. Could not be easier.

6 carrots sliced

1 bunch of celery,chopped

2 onions, chopped

6 cloves of garlic, chopped

2 lbs of chicken thighs (I've also used breast, but thighs have more flavor)

1 qt of chicken stock + a bit more, or water

1 can of coconut milk

1-2 T. poultry seasoning

salt and pepper to taste

Toss everything into your slow cooker, high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. Take your chicken out at that point and shred into big chunks, throw it back in and enjoy now or later, or both!

Excellent thread. I just ordered a slow cooker, and amazon says it has shipped! I plan to make that chicken soup immediately.

Oh yay Amy. Brisket for you. :)

Someone probably already mentioned it but Nomnom's chicken with gravy really is delicious. After I strip the meat off, I put the bones right back in and make my weekly bone broth. :)

Oh yay Amy. Brisket for you. :)

Someone probably already mentioned it but Nomnom's chicken with gravy really is delicious. After I strip the meat off, I put the bones right back in and make my weekly bone broth. :)

Drat, I want to make all of this RIGHT NOW.

Archived