Anxious Newbie Seeking Support for 1/1/2018

iWantToSoar

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Charlene and I have finally decided to take the plunge and work on my eating habits! I’ve been struggling with weight loss and have recently committed to working out and adding resistance training into my lifestyle... but my food choices are holding me back. 

I want to learn to eat clean wholesome foods and to become more conscientious of what I put into my body. Whole 30 sounds perfect but I am afraid I will fall off the bandwagon and feel defeated in the process! 

Truly hoping to create a network of friends and support so that we can succeed together and make 2018 the best yet!

hugs!

Char

12 hours ago, iWantToSoar said:

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Charlene and I have finally decided to take the plunge and work on my eating habits! I’ve been struggling with weight loss and have recently committed to working out and adding resistance training into my lifestyle... but my food choices are holding me back. 

I want to learn to eat clean wholesome foods and to become more conscientious of what I put into my body. Whole 30 sounds perfect but I am afraid I will fall off the bandwagon and feel defeated in the process! 

Truly hoping to create a network of friends and support so that we can succeed together and make 2018 the best yet!

hugs!

Char

Good luck Char!!!  I'm in for round 2 on the second!  I've never felt better or had more energy as my first try! 

You can do it!!!  Get the Whole30 cookbook so you can vary your meals!!

We are here for you! 

Good luck, everyone! We can do it! :)

I've successfully completed one W30, but I've fallen off the bandwagon on additional attempts. My biggest struggle is that I become SO tired and annoyed of cooking all of my meals every day for the entire month... I eventually give up and eat something prepackaged or cooked by someone else. Weekly meal prep (and maybe some freezer meals) is going to be my key to success for this January W30.

Hi everyone! I'm starting my second W30 on January 1st.

YOU CAN DO IT!  I had amazing non-scale-victories (and body composition victories too) after my first Whole30. It's SO worth it to finish.

Don't think about the possibility of falling off the bandwagon. Tell yourself you're going to hang on tight no matter how bumpy the road gets. As Melissa wrote in Whole30 Fast & Easy, "don't give yourself an excuse to fail before you've even started" (page xi).

You owe it to yourself to see how amazing you'll feel after 30 days. Like I said, it's worth it.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences :)

My hubby and I are starting Round 4 January 1st.  I have found that the Whole30 program and entire experience is so enlightening.  I did lose weight on Whole30, but that wasn't my main goal.  I had severe digestive issues that I wanted to figure out. In the process, I did figure out what foods do not work for me.  I felt so much better during and after my Whole30.  My acne cleared up, I had more energy and I slept better.  I am definitely more in tune with how food affects me. 

I do a lot of meal prepping and have "emergency meals" in my freezer for those times I just don't feel like cooking.  There are also so many great products available for easy meals.  Something I'm excited about is I will be teaching cooking classes at my local Whole Foods in January.  4 weeks of Whole30 recipes that I'll get to share.  I hope you have a great experience on your Whole30!

Kimberly

For me the key to all of this is PLANNING AHEAD! I make my main food things on Sunday for the week. That is usually a big pot of soup, in the wintertime, for lunches, and have protein foods  cooked for a few days and lots of veg ready to go, to either eat raw or cooked. In the warmer months I have lots of salad ready - chicken, etc cooked and again ready to go. If I have lots of yummy FILLING things ready for me to eat, i.e. protein, fat, and veg or fruit, then I can reach for that instead of a gazillion other things. Protein and fat seem to be really important to feel like you've eaten something and aren't still hungry. It takes a few days for the sugar dragon to lie down, but once it does it goes into hibernation and gives us some peace! We can do this! Am on day 4.

That's great to have your husband on it too. It makes a lot of difference.  At first you want to keep it really simple. it's easy to get overwhelmed with a lot of new ideas and recipes. Find a few that work and do that at the beginning, then branch out a bit, once you realize you haven't made any huge mistakes and aren't starving!

I'm starting my first Whole30 on January 2nd and I'm also nervous. Excited, but nervous! I have a cycle of eating relatively healthy for a few months and then falling off the wagon in the worst way possible. I'm also approaching this as a personal challenge for myself, so I can prove to myself that I can keep up with it and follow through. We can do it!! 

Thanks for the encouragement! I imagine lots of us go off and on with the healthy eating. I sure do. 2 or 3 months is typically when I start wavering, so really want to stick with this long term. I find getting older has become an increasingly bigger wake up call, especially looking at older members of my family and what their health was like at the end. It's never a fun thing to contemplate, but better than head in the sand! 

I love this program. It is really the best I have done, so much fun and support. Am definitely going to stay connected via the forum this time. It makes a big difference. Happy New Year!

On 12/27/2017 at 12:44 PM, amychica99 said:

Good luck, everyone! We can do it! :)

I've successfully completed one W30, but I've fallen off the bandwagon on additional attempts. My biggest struggle is that I become SO tired and annoyed of cooking all of my meals every day for the entire month... I eventually give up and eat something prepackaged or cooked by someone else. Weekly meal prep (and maybe some freezer meals) is going to be my key to success for this January W30.

Yes, I absolutely agree. I try to have cooked meat, soups, salad stuff, things I can just heat up. And it really needs to be tasty, especially dinner since I really look forward to my food reward at the end of the day. I just had a wonderful soup that I made, everything is blended at the moment as I had dental surgery on Thursday and can't chew. Soup with all the right ingredients and mashed avocado with lemon, really good. Upping that fat content sure makes things taste better and is much more filling. I made ghee yesterday with very expensive grass fed cow butter. Also pompompaleo has lots of good recipes for sauces, magic mushroom powder, which looks good, etc. Having some fun new things to add to the food really helps. I tend to go bland and then get bored and want cheezies.

We can do it! New day, new year tomorrow!

On 12/27/2017 at 4:10 AM, Beth N said:

Good luck Char!!!  I'm in for round 2 on the second!  I've never felt better or had more energy as my first try! 

You can do it!!!  Get the Whole30 cookbook so you can vary your meals!!

We are here for you! 

Thank you so much! I am going to need all the help I can get!! I really want to feel good about myself! 

On 12/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, elizabeth.joan said:

I'm starting my first Whole30 on January 2nd and I'm also nervous. Excited, but nervous! I have a cycle of eating relatively healthy for a few months and then falling off the wagon in the worst way possible. I'm also approaching this as a personal challenge for myself, so I can prove to myself that I can keep up with it and follow through. We can do it!! 

I love your attitude and approach! You’re motivating me to look at this challenge differently..

This is going to be my “gift” to myself lol. My body works so hard to accomplish all the things I want to do in life that I’ve finally decided it’s time for me to take care of it. 

We can definitely do it!!! 

Good Morning Everyone!! Happy New Year and Happy Day One (for most!). Just made my breakfast (baked sweet potato and a couple of berries) and am feeling great so far! But mom wants to go out for lunch cuz we have family visiting and they are leaving soon... Day 1 and already the challenges are rolling in... guess it’s time to test my willpower! Lol!

hope you all have a great day!

17 minutes ago, sarahhovey said:

Protein! Protein! Protein! Sweet potato is starch, great for you, but like having sugar for breakfast.

Just a friendly reminder.

Rock on!

Very true! I’ll keep that in mind for all my future meals. I saw this photo that someone had posted of mashed sweet potatoes that was topped with fresh berries and a bit of almond butter. It looked so good that I’ve been thinking of it for the last 3 days lol. And I had it this morning, minus the almond butter. 

But I will make sure to focus on adding more protein from now on. Thank you! This is why this forum is so great! 

Archived