Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been posting (not that anyone has noticed) but  i have been reading and watching and I am right with you.

@Olivia R I wondered if you can tell us what your eating in your meals as you should be more regular I would think. I know I am. Maybe we could offer some suggestions. Could it be water consumption?

@KTH1010 I too am over it. My birthday is coming up and though I said I would be compliant, I just really want non compliant food for my special day as we usually go out for an expensive meal that we cannot usually afford on any regular day. Yes it is only 4 days to wait but I feel like acting like a little girl stamping her feet that we cant celebrate ON MY BIRTHDAY...(stamps feet).

On a lighter note, my pants are actually looser and looking in the mirror today I could swear my face looks skinnier. I never did weigh myself as the battery in my scale was dead and by the time I purchased the batteries it was day 3 and decided I better not. So take that NSV!

I am so happy to see so many of us still hanging in here and still on track thought frustrated. Keep on keepin' on!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Ya, in a culture where we're told to eat as little as possible, having a program tell you to fill your plate, eat three times a day, eat for workouts etc. It's a little strange. Especially as women because we're supposed to take up as little space as possible and that tends to include our nutritional needs.

The template (linked in my signature below) is a range though. Depending on your context you could be eating more or less than someone else doing the same program. If you're able to get 4-5 hours between meals comfortably, then you're doing great. If you're starving by hour 3 then you need to eat more. Alternately if you're still full at hour 6, you might need to scale back a bit. 

You can give us a run down on what you've been eating if you want. We can take a look and see if you're on the right track. If you want to do that, please open a new thread in Troubleshooting.

Thank you @ladyshanny!! I BIG*PUFFY*HEART*LOVE your words, "Especially as women because we're supposed to take up as little space as possible and that tends to include our nutritional needs." - AMEN!! I'm going to lean into the beauty of the meal template and tell the chatter in my head to take a seat - I've got this :) 

Already finding so much awesomeness in this forum. Thank you!!

Have a "whole" day!

Trish

We're almost there!  I know some of you are feeling frustrated, but stick with it for a few more days! 

I'm actually planning on doing a Whole60.  There is research that says it takes 66 days to form a new habit.  I kept a decent amount of my healthy habits from my first w30, but am hoping to solidify a few more by doing a w60.  Wish me luck!

@DebG44 I am probably going to do a very slow and thoughtful re-entry so I will be staying mostly W30 probably thru   Feb as well.  I feel like I am just getting to the point where I am noticing those NSVs. Want to keep moving in that direction.  Fighting chronic inflammation requires a long term strategy. 

I am sleeping much better and I definitely feel less "chubby." Clothes aren't as tight. Not dramatically so but enough for me to notice a change.  

I live near a large Korean supermarket and they have the biggest freshest most diverse produce dept. and some different cuts of meat, esp pork. I buy pork bellies and fry them up to replace bacon.  They also have 5 varieties of sweet potatoes and the oriental ones make great noodles.  So that was on my breakfast plate today.  Have 2 meals packed for my long day at work today. 

Stay strong. Remember the Alamo! 

I cannot believe we are at day 26!  This evening my husband told me that he is done. He didn't make that decision and then run out to eat something he's been craving, but he is having a glass of wine as I type!  He just doesn't feel different enough that he feels compelled to continue. He agreed not to bring non-compliant foods into the house (I don't really drink so having beer or wine in the house is not a problem at all).  I will definitely continue through the full 30 days and then try to reintroduce some foods.  

@DebG44 I am really liking sheet pan dinners! I made one tonight too, sausage, peppers and onions.  And there is even a serving leftover for breakfast tomorrow. I love brussel sprouts, and I haven't had any during this W30.  Might need to try this one next.

Bought a few things on Amazon to support my W30 lifestyle!  Nutpods for my coffee, a new immersion blender, and these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VSFZDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

100 little disposable salad dressing cups! I am usually a  very environmentally concerned citizen, but I was just getting so tired of dealing with little containers for salad dressing and not losing them and washing them. The entire top rack of my dishwasher is filled with plastic reusable containers so I hope to be forgiven for using disposable ones for salad dressing.  Oh, and they are also perfect for jello shots. 

I am going to make carrot + cardamom soup tomorrow, http://ruhlman.com/2014/04/paleo-carrot-cardamom-soup/ but wondering if I can do it in the Instant Pot. But will have a chance to use the new immersion blender.  

Who's cooking this weekend, the last of this January Whole30? 

Hi friends ❤️

I love all of your posts, and your meals look delicious.  I’m feeling ok and had a few days of clear NSVs. Better skin, loads of energy, great focus at work, my clothes fit better. Alas, I’m now 5 weeks pregnant and hormones have me feeling bloated and so, so tired. Still...I’m convinced my symptoms would be worse if not for the W30.

Some foods are really turning me off (my chicken sausage lunch ended up in the trash), but some I can’t get enough of. I’ve been eating the same two meals over and over this week: Brussels sprouts with onions, fingerling potatoes and compliant bacon, or eggs, sweet potatoes, more onions and bacon and avocado. I know I should  have more variety but I’m trying to be gentle with myself. There’s not a lot of other things that sound good.

It’s my 40th bday next week and my partner is baking me a cake using Simple Mills mix at my request. Almond flour, coconut sugar...delicious. Feels like a nice way to treat myself post W30 without getting carried away. I wonder if the kids will notice the difference? ;)

Happy day 26...nearly there!

Just made carrot soup in the Instant Pot. I ended up using this recipe since it was designed for the IP :

http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2018/01/instant-pot-paleo-thai-carrot-soup-a-whole-foods-knock-off.html  (used 1 leek instead of 1 onion)

Soooooo gooooood!  Used my new immersion blender and it worked great.  I didn't realize it before I opened the box but it has a removable shaft for cleaning.  So I could put it in the dishwasher. Like. 

(and now I can return the jar of cardamom that cost something like $11!). Also Like. 

Hey!!
Day 29, I can't believe it.

You wanna know what I also can't believe? I slipped today. I woke up this morning with a brutal sore throat and impenetrable fatigue; finally caught the cold my kids have had for weeks. Well, I ordered groceries delivered, including my favorite KeVita probiotic drink, and without thinking opened it and took a sip and could taste right away it is sweetened. Sure enough: Stevia! I can't freaking believe it, on day 29! Oh well, I'm not too upset; it was a tiny sip and of all things, it seems stevia is pretty benign.  Still. You gotta laugh. I didn't even THINK! But mostly because I'm so foggy from fighting off this virus.

I don't even own a scale, and only step on one at the doc's office, so I wouldn't know if I lost weight anyway, but I do believe some of my clothes are fitting better? Hard to say for sure.  And with this cold, I'm not feeling the NSVs I have been. However, before I got sick, I was having AMAZING energy levels all day every day, despite terrible sleep (conquering my insomnia was one NSV I did not attain, but I believe now that I have to eliminate caffeine and be much stricter and more consistent with my wake-up times every day).

I am also just happier. "Just" doesn't belong there. This is major. It's winter in Portland, OR and I am miserable for the rainy season every year here (I'm a California girl at heart). Winter has been milder, but I also have been taking it a lot better during this whole30. That's huge! I also just don't have that irritable edge that I have had so often; I feel like a much better and more pleasant wife and mother.

I am so hooked on the amazing energy and overall upbeat mood that I am unsure how to do this reintroduction (well I guess I've already reintroduced stevia, haha).  I think initially I'll stick with complaint ingredients but not hold back on things like siete cassava chips and simple mills everything (I have a box of flatbread mix I can't wait to use on Wednesday!).

I may start with sweeteners; I have a honey-sweetened chocolate bar I want to try... 

How is everyone else? What is the reintroduction plan for you all?

@ShellyM still here!  I love the slee I've been getting!  Also less bloating so that's a great NSV. What about you?

I have to admit though, today I went to Chipotle just so I didn't have to cook or do dishes!  And I think I'll make it through a whole60???!  But it pained me to walk out of there without chips and queso, so that's why I need to do another 30 days!

We made it to day 30! All in all though I didn’t experience anything major, getting through is a huge success. And I have changed some habits with my food. It’s a victory for sure. I think i’m Going to reintroduce rice tomorrow. I’ve really been missing brown rice and am wondering if the soluble fiber in whole grains might help my GI system. Congratulations everyone! 

Day 30!!!!

@KTH1010, I'm sorry you've been sick!  I wouldn't feel bad about the slip-up.  I'm guessing most of us have at some point and didn't even know it.  At one point I had bacon someone else made that she said was compliant. Turned out it was uncured and nitrate free, but still had sugar.  Oh well...I think we can only try our best :) 

My biggest NSV may be that I haven't had heartburn the entire 30 days, and it was something I struggled with almost daily before this.  I've also had better skin, though that's changing now that my hormones are going bananas.  My clothes fit better.  And maybe most importantly, I'm so much more aware of what I'm putting in my body.  I hope that going forward, even as I reintroduce some things, that sticks.  I'm super nervous about pregnancy cravings getting the better of me, but I feel like this W30 has given me the tools to make better choices. 

My reintroduction starts with hard cheese, something I'm craving all the time right now.   After that will be white rice.  My plan is to continue to avoid gluten, refined sugar and processed foods. 

I'll miss you guys after this!  I hope we still post once in a while and check in with each other!

xo

Misty

PS - I'm 40 today!  I don't know why I was so nervous about it...turns out I feel exactly as I did yesterday at 39 :) 

Happy Day 30 everyone!

I am doing well, definitely feel more energy and focused.  This is my 4th W30 and this time I feel a shift in my mentality. I feel stronger in many ways, not just food related. When my boys were teenagers and leaving the house to go to a party, etc. I used to tell them, "make good choices."  I feel like I am practicing what I used to preach! 

I am sleeping much better. That has been the most obvious NSV for me with every W30.  I feel less "chubby" and my clothes fit better but I don't think I have lost more than a few pounds.  I have spent more time at the gym which kinda goes with the "good choices" theme. 

I plan to do a slow re-intro and transition to a paleo lifestyle.  But my first concern is SuperBowl Sunday!  Eating anything and everything is definitely a bad idea b/c that would blow up the re-intro process. But allowing myself to eat "1 thing" (potato chips) and rationalizing it as re-intro is BS. Not going to the party is not an option b/c I have to live in the real world and not a W30 bubble. Anybody have any thoughts on SuperBowl Sunday?  

@ShellyM, I hear you.  I live in Minneapolis, and even though the Vikings aren't in it I think Sunday will be a wild day here.

Maybe this a good time to make something for yourself (or to share) that's deliciously paleo but not W30 exactly.  Something sweetened with honey or maple syrup, or loaded potato skins with some cheese?  You could bring that along for some good, healthier choices?  Perhaps I'm projecting my food desires on to you...ha!

Hey everyone!  HAPPY WHOLE30!!  

I loved this past month,  I will be keeping much of what I've learned,  maybe a 80/20 ratio.  But tomorrow night I'm looking forward to going out to bonefish grill,  choosing a healthy meal and having a lemon drop martini or two!

:D

Hi all-longtime lurker, first time poster! I have enjoyed following the whole30 with you (my first time). Now that we are on day 30, I am curious what you guys will do for the next 2-4 weeks. I admit I did not know all about the reintroduction when I started the program, and in week 2, I thought it sounded crazy to keep going so long, but I think I have come around, and am planning to keep mostly whole30 for a few more weeks and reintroduce as suggested, maybe even more slowly. Well, after I have a nice glass of red wine with my dinner tomorrow night. ;) I am loving the food, and how I feel, but does anyone else feel like it is so, so, so much work to do all the planning, prep, cooking, cleaning etc? I think I underestimated the amount of convenience foods I used. I have done so many more dishes than I ever imagined lol! Also-I haven't eaten in a restaurant for 30 days, and while I don't miss the food (or the bill) that much, I really miss having someone else do the work! I think this will make me appreciate dining out and I am excited to go out a couple times next month. 

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and get some thoughts from others on this journey. Great work everyone!

@hotwheels congrats on making it through!  This is my second round, and I plan on staying Whole30 for another 30-37 days. I think the extra time will help solidify some good food choices. I slipped into some bad old habits over the holidays. 

Good luck with the reintros everybody!

On 1/26/2018 at 5:51 PM, ShellyM said:

Bought a few things on Amazon to support my W30 lifestyle!  Nutpods for my coffee, a new immersion blender, and these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VSFZDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

100 little disposable salad dressing cups! I am usually a  very environmentally concerned citizen, but I was just getting so tired of dealing with little containers for salad dressing and not losing them and washing them. The entire top rack of my dishwasher is filled with plastic reusable containers so I hope to be forgiven for using disposable ones for salad dressing.  

I actually re-use these.  I bring them to the restaurant in a mini-ziploc with the air squeezed out as best I can, then return them home the same way.  As a guy, I carry them in my pocket, and I haven't yet had dressing dripping down my thigh.  Your purse just might be safe :lol:   I can get many trips out of each...

Hello on day 31. I have decided to start some re-intros and made myself a bowl of oatmeal before I saw that the recommendation is to start with legumes. Not missing beans that much but i would really like to add oatmeal back into my diet so I decided to start there.  I will probably make a quinoa pilaf to have with dinner.  

Anybody else doing re-intros? 

1 hour ago, mom56 said:

I'll be completely honest... I'm not missing,  sugar,  dairy or wheat, legumes.   So unless I have a change in cravings... I'm going to keep eating like this :D

Awesome!  I am definitely not adding sugar or wheat back in.  I already know wheat is a problem for me.  And sugar.... sugar is just bad. 

1 hour ago, mom56 said:

I'll be completely honest... I'm not missing,  sugar,  dairy or wheat, legumes.   So unless I have a change in cravings... I'm going to keep eating like this :D

That's so cool! I'm not missing anything really, either, so I am planning to keep with it for a while. Except I will be having a glass of wine with dinner. :)  Not sure if we will follow the reintroduction bc I don't have a huge desire to add back in most things...though I may have a small bowl of ice cream this weekend, but only if I really want it (I did really want some last weekend when my kids were eating it). I am reading Food Freedom Forever and it is great! Yay for day 31!

6 hours ago, hotwheels said:

Except I will be having a glass of wine with dinner. :)  Not sure if we will follow the reintroduction bc I don't have a huge desire to add back in most things...though I may have a small bowl of ice cream this weekend, but only if I really want it

Between wine & ice cream you've got alcohol, sulfites, dairy, sugar, and carageenan.  If you can get wine without sulfites, cool, but dairy and carageenan are big enough potential bugaboos that they're worth reintro'ing separately FWIW.

Archived