Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

Good morning, all! 

I'm hoping to join your group as my husband and I will be starting our 2nd Whole30 on January 2!  I know, I know...why the 2nd and not the 1st, right?  Well, He turns the big 5-0 on January 4, so we're having a great big NYE/Birthday Bash for him on NYE and we have several out of town guests staying with us so, starting on January 1 just isn't realistic. 

I've already started prepping and have some go-to recipes that I kept from our 1st Whole30 in October 2015.  We did FANTASTIC the first time, but we've completely fallen off the wagon and between our terrible eating habits and a very stressful/crazy 2017, I've gained 40 lbs and need to get myself back to healthy.  I'm extremely blessed to have a partner that is 100% supportive and doing this with me out of sheer support and selflessness since he's blessed with great genetics and even though he eats double the dessert and naughty foods that I do, he doesn't gain an ounce.  It's maddening.  But, I digress.

This round will be extra hard for me since I have an out of state business trip the week of January 15, but I made sure to book a suite with a full kitchen so I can cook for myself and stay on track!   *crossing fingers*

I'm looking forward to being on this journey with you all!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I just signed up like 5 minutes ago and plan to start on the 1st. This will be my first time to do this and I just ordered the Whole30 book which will get here on Sunday. My problem is going to be getting enough veggies because I'm not a fan. My weakness is carbs. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and want to lose weight for that as well as for me. I'm 55 and also need an accountability partner. Lost my job on Wednesday so I'm trying not to pity eat. lol 

I'm excited to have so many accountability partners! Yay! :)

I haven't started my meal planning for next week yet, but I will be doing a lot of meal prep and cooking on Sunday. I'm hoping to get a variety of veggies washed/chopped up, so they can easily be roasted for dinner when I get home from work each night. I also want to hard boil some eggs and roast a whole chicken to have some quick, cooked protein available for lunches or lazy dinners. I'll be sure to share any good recipes that I try and I look forward to seeing all of your meals too. :)

Hi everyone, greetings from the frozen suburbs of NYC! I am starting Jan 1 as well.  This will be round 4!  I am 61 and fighting chronic inflammation.  I did a W30 in the fall to get ready for arthroscopic knee surgery.  Eating clean helped enormously. But since then I have gone completely off the rails! Time for a hard reset. The good news: 1) I have successfully completed a W30,  I know I can do this and I know it makes a big difference and 2) My husband will be doing it with me. Having that support is a huge +.   He now works from home, which should give us a bit more flexibility for food prep. 

For the most part, I enjoy cooking and I love cookbooks. I have depended upon Mel Joulwan's Well Fed cookbooks and I love them, especially Well Fed Weeknights.  I now have W30 Fast and Easy too. I bought an Instant Pot about a year ago and I am going to try to use it more often, especially for cold weather soups and stews.  Sweet potato chicken curry is happening today.  Here's a link: https://therealfoodrds.com/instant-pot-sweet-potato-chicken-curry/

And, I just bought a spiralizer and I love it!  So far beet noodles are my fav, but sweet potatoes are not far behind. 

Ok, time to figure out what to wear to go out to run errands, including a stop at the library to pick up an Instant Pot Paleo Cookbook.  

A quick question. Sorry to seem thick but it's 19. 44 in Scotland and wondered what time it  is with you guys? Not sure if my day is behind or before ? 

D1m1 smoked salmon poached eggs and spinach

D1m2 Turkey and veg soup and some fruit

D1m3 Bolognese with loads of veg carrot noodles and side salad

Still on annual leave this week so easier to cook. Back at work 8/1 surrounded by food all day (I'm a catering supervisor in large High school which does catering for 2 junior schools and outside catering for local gov. and other business) Thats when temptation will be there. 

Day 1 tomorrow  here we go! 

1 hour ago, sunshine33 said:

A quick question. Sorry to seem thick but it's 19. 44 in Scotland and wondered what time it  is with you guys? Not sure if my day is behind or before ? 

D1m1 smoked salmon poached eggs and spinach

D1m2 Turkey and veg soup and some fruit

D1m3 Bolognese with loads of veg carrot noodles and side salad

Still on annual leave this week so easier to cook. Back at work 8/1 surrounded by food all day (I'm a catering supervisor in large High school which does catering for 2 junior schools and outside catering for local gov. and other business) Thats when temptation will be there. 

Day 1 tomorrow  here we go! 

Scotland is 5 hours ahead of the US east coast (I am in New York)  and 8 hours ahead of the west coast.  

Happy New Year!  you are almost there. 

FingerlingPotato, do share the name of the nearby pizza place, please!

WriteHand......The pizza place is Blaze Pizza on 120th and Sheridan (East of Sheridan) in Broomfield not too far from Boulder and there may even be one in Boulder.

Sorry everyone for not being active the last few days. I am currently way under the weather but am still on track and will start tomorrow for sure. I don't have much of an appetite so if anything the first day will just be small portions. I know that's not perfect but I will still eat only compliant items and as soon as im feeling better jump right in. I am thinking soup for the next 5 days. lol

Good luck everyone and I am still so excited to follow along with you all and looking forward to all my new accountability partners!

Raw cookie dough woke me up - I knew I had to do another Whole30 when I actually grabbed some out of the fridge in the middle of the night. Last time - I found the hardest part to be feeling so terrible the first couple of weeks. Now that I know what to expect, I think it will be easier - probable not any more pleasant.

Here are a few things I learned last time 1. If you live alone - get rid of all non-compliant foods. If you live with someone - SEPARATE the foods. 2. Shop ahead 3. Spend a day a week cooking and freezing. Label everything. 3. Clean the kitchen after dinner and don't go back until morning. If you want a bedtime snack take it out of the kitchen when you leave. 4. Concentrate on making a plate look good. This surprised me - but it made ALL the difference. 5. Use spices and herbs to bring variety in. 6. Make meals in large mouth mason jars to take with. (see pinterest.) 7. When you are hungry or tempted get on the computer and look for a new Whole30 recipe. I print them and put  them in a notebook so I can make notes.

Starting January 1st!

I'm REstarting Whole 30. Tomorrow is Day 1 with the rest of you, but I mostly did it today. I did Whole 30 fine over Thanksgiving and in to December. But then I got a bug and didn't feel like cooking, and December has 3 family birthdays, and and and ... so I lived on desserts and wine for a few days. I feel totally poisoned and want to get back to where I was! Turkey breast and veggies tonight felt good. Can I hang with you guys over this month??

ShellyM, I'm also 61! So we're the Grandmas here, probably? I too did a successful W30 so I know I can do it. It got easier the longer I stuck with it! But I found out the hard way that I have to plan ahead. If I'm going to be on the run all day I just must have compliant foods with me, because otherwise I'll get hungry and fail. Looking forward to all of our better health!

On 12/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, ShellyM said:

I wanted to welcome everyone to our accountability group!

2018 will be here in 2 hours! Can you believe it!?!

Shelly sorry for the quote (non quote) above, still trying to figure this thing out.

I hope we all make it to 30 days! Best luck to everyone.

• Moderators

Hi, everyone!  If you want to address one person in a reply, you can type the @ symbol, squished up to their username to tag them. You can also hit the Quote button on any post and it'll copy that post down into the reply box. 

If you have other questions about how the forum works, you can post in the Forum Feedback section of the forum, or if you post it here, tag me or one of the other moderators so we don't miss it -- the forum typically gets pretty busy at the first of the year.

Best of luck to all of you on your Whole30. 

Happy New Year!!! 

I have everything prepped, and breakfast made.  I’m super nervous, but determined.  

I roasted a chicken, made pork carnitas, going to whip up a batch of Buffalo sauce, salmon patties, and of course eggs.

Lets get ready to succeed!!!!!

Happy New Year everybody!  

I usually spend time on Sundays cooking and prepping (whether its W30 or not), and that's what I did yesterday for Day Zero.  DH and I decided we were not going anywhere for New Years Eve, and I had a turkey breast in the freezer from Thanksgiving time, so that was the main attraction of our New Years eve dinner.  I made W30 compliant gravy, roasted beets, and sautéed kale and red onions (with a splash of balsamic and a handful of pine nuts!).  This morning I am making broth from the turkey carcass in the Instant Pot.  I think I will spiralize a sweet potato so I can experiment with "noodle bowls." I have 2 ripe avocados, and who doesn't love guacamole!! 

I have a fried egg almost every morning and today was no different.  Today's version was accompanied by half a sweet potato, W30 compliant bacon, and coffee with nutpods.  Nutpods is a W30 lifesaver for me.  

I also made myself a W30 journal in a little notebook.  I found inspiration on Instagram, #whole30bujo (bujo is short for bullet journal).  I am on Instagram, @vergenceranges.  I will probably start posting photos of my "weekly haul." 

@Jorda I wish I had grandkids!  I have 2 sons, both single.  Maybe someday.  

What are you cooking? Stay strong everyone.  

Do you have room for one more out of Austin.  I'm a restaurant development manager so I hope i don't cave in the first weeks.  Land of chips and Tex Mex!

I need this forum to ask questions and your motivation!  

This wil will be my first attempt.  I'm 52 and am developing joint and muscle issues and just need to get a reset as the metabolism has changed soo much and so is the body shape. Ugh!!!!    Belly fat!  

I used to run half marathons and my joints really don't like that anymore. So this is my proactive move to really change it up.  

Today I plan for the week.   I'm so glad to have found this thread!    Good luck all!  Thank you in advance for your notifications and encouragement and success stories.   And Happy New Year! 2018 

Michelle 

Hello!

I am starting my first whole 30 today. Never done this before but I've gotten into some bad habits with food. I've been through a journey with food. Did very well with staying healthy in college and for a bit after, but then experienced some scary things at work (working on an inpatient psychiatric unit) that threw me for a bit of a loop emotionally and started eating unhealthfully, and stopped exercising. Here I am 40 lbs later, back to running again and have made progress in eating healthier, but I just can't seem to shake the weight or get back to feeling like I used to.

I am eager to do the whole 30 to reset some these unhealthy attitudes and emotions with food, and re-learn what foods make my body happy! I'm embarking on this journey with my best friend who is also doing this for the first time, but figured I'd get involved here too since there are so many of you who have completed whole 30's before. I have my meal planning for the first week done and have a great mindset right now, but I know it might get difficult here soon. Any tips or suggestions that may make me more successful?  

I'm also curious to know from others how sustainable the food changes were that you did during the whole 30? I'm trying not to embark on any crazy calorie counting diets or fads so that I can actually have a shot at sustaining things long-term. The whole 30 is definitely drastic and obviously part of it is the re-introduction of things at the end, but curious to know what your experiences have been.

@CrazyCookie my new years resolution is "the year of Olivia" where I do all things that make me healthier. January is Whole 30. February will probably be yoga or some sort of low impact physical activity that gets me more flexible (I run but do very little other type of exercise), and so on and so forth. It's time to be myself again! 

Happy 2018, Everyone! HERE WE GO!! Is anyone else doing W30 with non-W30 people that you cook for? Hubby is always promising he's gonna start doing something, and then doesn't. I have an adult autistic daughter who lives with us who is incredibly picky about flavors and textures. So I'm going to spend a couple hours scouring Pinterest for some meal plans that are compliant but will get eaten by somebody other than just me  lol. I can eat meals just because I know they're good for me. Not so with other people here! I had a chard and pepper frittata planned, but that's just stupid hahaha. It'll mean I have breakfasts for several mornings, but no one else will touch it. Off to Pinterest.

On 12/29/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mousey14 said:

I've already started prepping and have some go-to recipes that I kept from our 1st Whole30 in October 2015.  We did FANTASTIC the first time, but we've completely fallen off the wagon and between our terrible eating habits and a very stressful/crazy 2017, I've gained 40 lbs and need to get myself back to healthy. 

Mousey14, I'm so sorry about your 2017. That weight gain tells a pretty heartbreaking story. May 2018 NOT be so stressful. Here's to a GREAT year!

@Jorda Yes I am cooking for my husband who has zero interest in whole 30. Luckily he'll eat whatever I cook for him, although he is definitely a lover of pizza and pasta andall things not whole 30. The hardest things will just be when he eats snacks or other things I haven't prepared, and it'll definitely be hard when he opens a beer after work! 

31 minutes ago, Olivia R said:

I am eager to do the whole 30 to reset some these unhealthy attitudes and emotions with food, and re-learn what foods make my body happy! I'm embarking on this journey with my best friend who is also doing this for the first time, but figured I'd get involved here too since there are so many of you who have completed whole 30's before. I have my meal planning for the first week done and have a great mindset right now, but I know it might get difficult here soon. Any tips or suggestions that may make me more successful?  

For me, the hugest thing was planning for the unplanned. I would have a stash of compliant snacks in the car, in the kitchen, at work wherever you might need them. There will be those days where you can't stop to each your planned lunch because you have to use your lunch hour to get your car registration, or whatever. No, nuts and Larabars and Kind Pressed Bars aren't the same as a good meal, but at least they're compliant. 

31 minutes ago, Olivia R said:

I'm also curious to know from others how sustainable the food changes were that you did during the whole 30? I'm trying not to embark on any crazy calorie counting diets or fads so that I can actually have a shot at sustaining things long-term. The whole 30 is definitely drastic and obviously part of it is the re-introduction of things at the end, but curious to know what your experiences have been.

I fell off the wagon over a couple of stressors during the holidays (family crisis, plus I had the flu for a week and wasn't up to cooking), but at first it was fine. I did my 30 days and then had NO desire to add things back in. Then I tried dairy one day, went back to W30, no big change. I think for me the big culprits are wheat and sugar, and I really really need to get off and for the most part STAY off. I found this to not be a "diet". It was a lifestyle change. So I had no desire to dump my new lifestyle once I was adjusted to it.

3 minutes ago, Jorda said:

I fell off the wagon over a couple of stressors during the holidays (family crisis, plus I had the flu for a week and wasn't up to cooking), but at first it was fine. I did my 30 days and then had NO desire to add things back in. Then I tried dairy one day, went back to W30, no big change. I think for me the big culprits are wheat and sugar, and I really really need to get off and for the most part STAY off. I found this to not be a "diet". It was a lifestyle change. So I had no desire to dump my new lifestyle once I was adjusted to it.

That's awesome to hear, and what I was hoping this would accomplish. I also haven't viewed this as a diet, but I was curious if it was hard to keep up with once the 30 days was up. Your experience is so reassuring!

Good luck! We have this!! This will be my husband and I’s 2nd Whole 30. We did amazing last year and continued to eat similar when we got off the initial 30 days because we found it made us feel so much better. I am dealing with autoimmune issues and my husband has so much arthritis from football and working heavy construction. I went into the hospital and we never seemed to get fully committed back on. I am still not feeling where I need to be so having people to help keep us motivated and meal ideas is a great idea. I look forward to this journey. Sending positive vibes from Soggy Seattle, Wa. USA

I am so ready!!! I haven't done as much prep as I hoped, but the fridge is well-stocked and I made a huge breakfast of 4 eggs and garlic potatoes sautéed in ghee. I have only been able to eat about half of it so far, and will finish it when I can... that's a huge thing for me, being able to eat enough food at one sitting!

I also had a horrible night of sleep last night (thanks to fireworks and then a very wakeful/gassy toddler) so I'm not off to the most excited/motivated start but hey, that's why we have each-other!

Happy 2018!

Archived