Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

@MichelleMolo I have some similar issues, arthritis and weight gain post-menopause.  I was a triathlete! but my knees can no longer take the pounding of running.  This is my 4th round, and eating clean has reduced my symptoms ALOT!  

@Olivia R I try to eat predominantly paleo, but when I find myself slipping (it is indeed a slippery slope), I come back to the W30 for a reset.  I agree with @Jorda, wheat and sugar are truly evil. 

@Olivia R and @Jorda I am doing this round with my husband.  It was actually his idea.  But I have done it solo as well.  I do most of the food shopping and cooking, and he eats whatever I put in front of him, so he gets dragged along anyway.  On the occasions when I am doing a W30 but he is not, I ask him NOT to bring non-compliant foods into the house.  He can eat all the pizza, bagels, etc he wants, but he has to go out to get them and eat them. This may not work for you, but maybe it will some of the time. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Olivia R said:

I'm also curious to know from others how sustainable the food changes were that you did during the whole 30? I'm trying not to embark on any crazy calorie counting diets or fads so that I can actually have a shot at sustaining things long-term. The whole 30 is definitely drastic and obviously part of it is the re-introduction of things at the end, but curious to know what your experiences have been.

Hi Olivia,

My husband and I did our Whole 30 starting May 1 and when we finished we both felt so much better we didn’t want to go off and besides adding in a few healthy items continued until I ended in the hospital in September. I haven’t felt well enough to plan and so we fell off which continued through the holidays. We decided to jump back into another Whole 30 to help get us back in the swing of healthy eating and planning. I don’t think of this as a diet but a way of life for us. Knowing just how good we felt at the end of the 30 days I think will help push us through. Stay with it, use everyone for support and wait to be surprised just how good you feel! You have this!!

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning because it meant I had to start.  And accept responsibility for my eating habits and my routines.  I've been planning on starting since the beginning of November but I still don't feel ready.  Binged on alcohol and dairy the last few days because I knew today was coming.  And so it begins.  So excited and yet so scared.  Nice to know I'm in this with others!  

1 hour ago, alicia b said:

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning because it meant I had to start.  And accept responsibility for my eating habits and my routines.  I've been planning on starting since the beginning of November but I still don't feel ready.  Binged on alcohol and dairy the last few days because I knew today was coming.  And so it begins.  So excited and yet so scared.  Nice to know I'm in this with others!  

@Alicia, 30 days from now you'll be so glad you DID get out of bed and get started! Sometimes it actually helps to get the bingeing out of your system; sometimes it makes the first few days harder. Whichever it is for you, STAY WITH IT! Your body will feel different, and you may feel like a different person inside as well. 

@ShellyM For the most part my husband will just eat what I cook for him too. But he also gets late night hankerings for pizza on occasion.... haha. That's such a great idea though and I will talk to him about not bringing stuff into the house.  Part of my issue is that I have begun eating what he eats. Before we got married I RARELY ate mac and cheese or pizza that I ordered out, or insert junk food here, but since, I eat those things much more often. But our bodies are not the same, and my hope is that after the whole 30 I feel empowered to eat the way my body needs rather than just whatever he's munching on. However, it's day one my husband did make the last bit of our non-compliant bacon. Haha. I didn't feel a big draw to eat it though, so off to a good start!

Day 1 almost finished for me. So far so good! 

After first whole30  I just couldn' drink coffee any other way than black. Mind you it' made me more fussy which coffee I drink as you can really taste it. Missed my porridge this morning though!

Although my husband supports me doing this as he knows it makes me feel so much better he has no interest in healthy eating at all. He sat next to me this evening with a nice bottle of wine and snacks. I usually try to adapt what I'm making so he can eat similar with some rice etc but that's not always easy as he is not a fan of veg. So between him and my granddaughter who's here few days a week after school there are going to be tempting snacks and sweets in my cupboards.  

Have leftovers of everything I ate today so will probably eat the same thing tomorrow as today. Got crossfit in the evening so hopefully Ill have the energy to do it.

Remember last couple of times after first day or two had really dry mouth for quite few days no matter how much I drank. Has this happened to anyone else? I put it down to detox? 

Fancy making a nice curry on wed. At least I know both of us can enjoy that. Any suggestions gratefully received 

Happy Day 1, all! Kudos to us for taking the leap! I have pork and sauerkraut in my slow cooker (it doesn't get any easier than that) and the smell is driving me mad with desire; dinner time can't come soon enough! I realize now that figuring out how much fat and protein I need to stay satisfied from meal to meal will take a few days at least, but so far so good. I'm a teacher and I don't have to go back to school until next Monday, so I have some time to play around with proportions, etc. I am grateful for this gift of time and grateful to have so many of you with me on this adventure!

On 12/27/2017 at 6:46 AM, CrazyCookie said:

Hi!! This will be my first Whole30, and I really want to knock it out of the park!  My sugar intake is so bad and I have no willpower.  I'm hoping to change that in 2018.  I want to be able to say no and make healthier choices.  I work out at least 4-5 times per week but my eating habits are so bad that I am not seeing as much results as I should be.  

I want to do this with you.  Let's help each other through this challenge!  We got this! :) 

Oh can I ever relate to that! I've done just about every diet known to man -- even the Whole "17" -- but this time I am determined because it is about my HEALTH, not my WEIGHT! I have IBS and inflamed joints, so I'm hoping this clean, sugar-free eating will help heal what ails me. Good luck to you and I hope we can help each other stay the course. 

It's day 1 for me and I'm in! I've been around the eating plan block a few times, so I sort of know what to expect. That makes it a little easier, but the next few days, slaying that Sugar Dragon is bound to be a challenge! I'm here to listen if anybody wants to chat.

Hey everyone, how was day one?

My biggest hurdle is PLANNING. I just need to get on top of that, for the whole30 and just in general. With the 3 young kids and a husband who works a LOT (including some nights - he manages a bar and works a night shift at least twice a week, more if he needs to cover someone) I need systems that work. This has been my Achilles heel for so many years! I've vowed to meal plan since like 2012 and just can't seem to make it stick!
Yesterday was a great eating day, I had 4 scrambled eggs with potatoes in the morning, then lunch was ground chicken with kale and cassava root, with tons of olive oil and ghee on top. Dinner was grass-fed burger, broccoli, avocado with sriracha (a special kind that's probiotic and sugar free). I had a snack later too, celery with sunflower seed butter and a couple Applegate turkey hot dogs. Not perfect but all I could imagine eating that was on plan.

I had a HORRIBLE night of sleep so I am surly and exhausted today, my insomnia has been terrifying the last four nights and I hope the whole30 helps with this. like, fast. My kids don't sleep well enough for me to have any room for insomnia in my life.

Hope you're all feeling well!

Hello all on Day 2! I didn't find Day 1 too difficult, but I admit I was a bit cranky when my husband pulled out a beer and chocolate bar and happily consumed them while watching a football game. At least he didn't eat chips! Anyway, I'm feeling pretty calm this morning because I decided "One Day at a Time" is the attitude for me. As soon as I imagine those 29 days ahead I panic a little. I keep reminding myself I am not alone, and if I can heal my inflamed gut and arthritic hips and feel a little slimmer when I go to Mexico City in six weeks, it will all be worth it. Full disclosure: it's a little easier for me because I'm already gluten free, but I do rely on rice and other grains, so I must strengthen my resolve just like you! Good luck today everybody.

7 minutes ago, KTH1010 said:

Hey everyone, how was day one?

My biggest hurdle is PLANNING. I just need to get on top of that, for the whole30 and just in general. With the 3 young kids and a husband who works a LOT (including some nights - he manages a bar and works a night shift at least twice a week, more if he needs to cover someone) I need systems that work. This has been my Achilles heel for so many years! I've vowed to meal plan since like 2012 and just can't seem to make it stick!
Yesterday was a great eating day, I had 4 scrambled eggs with potatoes in the morning, then lunch was ground chicken with kale and cassava root, with tons of olive oil and ghee on top. Dinner was grass-fed burger, broccoli, avocado with sriracha (a special kind that's probiotic and sugar free). I had a snack later too, celery with sunflower seed butter and a couple Applegate turkey hot dogs. Not perfect but all I could imagine eating that was on plan.

I had a HORRIBLE night of sleep so I am surly and exhausted today, my insomnia has been terrifying the last four nights and I hope the whole30 helps with this. like, fast. My kids don't sleep well enough for me to have any room for insomnia in my life.

Hope you're all feeling well!

Sorry about the sleep. I, too, did not sleep well, so I hope that improves for both of us. I have experienced eating dreams before, so you might get those too. Good luck today and know you are not alone.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Jorda said:

Mousey14, I'm so sorry about your 2017. That weight gain tells a pretty heartbreaking story. May 2018 NOT be so stressful. Here's to a GREAT year!

Thank you, Jorda.  I'm going into this year with confidence that 2018 will be FANTASTIC!

Howdy, friends!

My partner calls it an "Accountabilibuddy"...which he is not, since he is addicted to Coke products and Sorrento's spaghetti just down the way from our office. 

It was -24 (with the wind chill) here in Minneapolis this morning.  I spent all my 'fun' money for the next two weeks at Whole Foods.  I'm tired and want a chocolate cake, not these baby carrots and beef stew.  I can't focus on work because I can't stop Googling other peoples' Day 2 experiences as well as before-and-after photos.  I need this.  I have blotchy skin and a spare tire.  My boobs are too big as of late.  And Jan 30 is my 40th birthday...I want to celebrate in a cute dress, not a potato sack because it's all that fits.

This is my 2nd W30.  During the first one I slept great, had amazing skin, was a billing machine at work and lost 19 pounds.  Fingers crossed for a similar amazing experience! 

Lets Be Friends.

Good luck to all of you! xoxox

@MistyJG What a great goal - to celebrate your 40th on the last day of your Whole30! It doesn't sound like you need luck or crossed fingers; you already know how to totally WIN this one! 

When you find yourself thinking about that chocolate cake, how about window-shopping online for a dress for your birthday? (Didn't I read in the W30 book that cravings last about 3 minutes? That's enough time to find a new dress AND some cute shoes -- or boots, perhaps, if late January weather in Minneapolis is anything like early January weather there!)

Stay warm and keep in touch!

So far so good for me! But we've been warned that it will likely get worse before it gets better lol. After eating total crap over the holidays, I slept normally for the first time in a while last night. Apparently all those carbs were causing sleep issues, too. Today my skin is all broken out (acne in your 60s is lousy lol), and I'm assuming that's just cleansing through my skin. That's bound to improve. (Right?)

@MistyJG, I didn't lose any weight with my first Whole 30, but I think I was way overdoing nuts and stuff. I don't want to lose the fats, but I want to fill up on other things and not snack so much. Here's to both of us looking fantastic in February!

2 hours ago, KTH1010 said:

So what seems to be the biggest hurdle in meal planning? Fatigue just getting in the way (you did say three small children!)? Meals that everyone will eat? Planning a MEAL when Hubby is gone and kids want cereal? Probably someone here has found a way around whatever it is.

I hear you, Jorda - I always thought acne went away as we got older, but it's just in different spots now - HA!  It WILL get better though - my skin looked so good after my first W30.  And even if I/we don't lose weight, we'll still look fantastic :)

PS - all I can see is the typo at the end of my first post - "Lets be friends"...ugh! Focus is hard today!!!

LET'S

LET US

#Day2Typo

On 12/29/2017 at 3:44 AM, traci112 said:

I am planning on starting January 1, I have tried to do a whole 30 but never made it too far. Being a night shifter got the best of me!

I am also a night shifter who just started on the first!  I read the Bailey series on the blog page and found it to be super motivating and it has some great tips.  I highly recommend checking it out. We can do this!

Hi all

Day 3 has begun. Couldn' face eggs again this morning so tuna salad for breakfast.

Glad I'm not working this week as tired and have bad head today. At least I know this will pass. ;)

Can I double check before I eat any about bacon. I read an old post on the forum that said that I could eat bacon that had nitrates? It has no sugar or sulphate but as it was an old post I wanted to make sure.

How is everyone else feeling today?

Happy Day 3 to everyone! So far so good for me. I found last time that I didn't experience many of the ups and downs that were promised--no headache, no "kill all the things", but also no tiger blood :/. We'll see how it goes this time.

I don't know others' feelings, but my thought is that if anyone already blew it and is restarting, tell us! Let us support you! Get back on the horse and try again :). I really found those daily emails to help the first time through. No one would have known if I had lied, but I really wanted to check the "I finished the day" box at the bottom of the emails. It was a great boost.

Have  good day, everyone!

Archived