Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

So far so good for me as well! I haven't really felt too tempted so far so I'm excited about that! I did wake up in the middle of the night last night feeling really hungry and was EXTREMELY hungry (not normal waking up ready for breakfast hungry) when I woke up this morning. I really don't think I'm eating too little (that's never been my problem! ha) so I don't quite get what's going on. I had a pretty big dinner last night that was pretty late in the evening since I got home from work late. Has anyone else experienced this when they've done a whole 30 before and do you have any thoughts on it? 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, CrazyCookie said:

Friends,

I am officially at "kill all the things" 

But, no cravings past the first night, I'm not overly hungry, no "hangover".....I'm sure it will all come, but for now I'm pretty happy with how this is going.  

Me too, Cookie!  Boiling rage at everything and nothing.  Poor partner said I snapped at him twice in the middle of the night to get away from me because I was too hot.  I'm glad the kids are at grandparents' house for winter break...I am a terrible person right now!  Ha!

Good morning everybody and welcome to day 3!!!

I am so sorry I have not been posting but I am on track and doing well despite this dumb cold! I have also been following and so proud of us all and so happy once again to have you all because I need you!

Olivia, Are you eating fat such as avocado or olives with your meals? I have experienced this on my first round back in October and of course last night I forgot my fat and also woke up feeling oh so hungry.

Well My scale has a dead battery and I couldnt weigh myself at all, which might not be a bad thing. Also due to being sick I didnt shop ahead of time but being as I am already Gluten Free i was able to wing it.

Congratulations to everyone for keepin' on. Remember, we are here for you to the end and more!

58 minutes ago, Olivia R said:

Has anyone else experienced this when they've done a whole 30 before and do you have any thoughts on it? 

It might be that your body is trying to figure out how to run on fat rather than all carbs. It might be saying, "Yeah, I see all the food, but where's the GLUCOSE?" Just keeping telling it that fat and protein are what it can have, and it'll get the idea eventually!

This is my first  whole30, i am doing it with my two adult daughters.   Prior to starting January 1, 2018 i had already committed to change.  I started working out with a trainer at Anytime Fitness and I am down 18 lbs! My one daughter told myself and my other daughter about her plan to do the whole30 and so I began reading up on  it, and loved what I read.   So for dinner new years I  made a diced chicken stir fry over zucchini noodles, last night I made cashew crusted chicken with a wonderful side salad.   I rotisseried a whole chicken  yesterday,  and got up early to de-meat it and then used the bones to make chicken stock this morning so it wil simmer for many hours.  So far So good,  feeling good and not feeling hungry.   I also gave up coffee at the same time,  so I do have a headache from that.   BEST WISHES TO ALL WHO HAVE COMMITTED TO THIS CHANGE!!

1 hour ago, MistyJG said:

Me too, Cookie!  Boiling rage at everything and nothing.  Poor partner said I snapped at him twice in the middle of the night to get away from me because I was too hot.  I'm glad the kids are at grandparents' house for winter break...I am a terrible person right now!  Ha!

That's hilarious that you snapped at him in the middle of the night.  Boiling rage is 100% accurate.  Today is steadily going downhill in terms of "hangover" feeling.  I'm at work so I have to be nice, and just push through this fog....

Is there any advice  for how to deal with the detox feeling?  How long does  it typically last for?  I've already had to apologize to my husband for being whiny and crabby......

2 minutes ago, CrazyCookie said:

That's hilarious that you snapped at him in the middle of the night.  Boiling rage is 100% accurate.  Today is steadily going downhill in terms of "hangover" feeling.  I'm at work so I have to be nice, and just push through this fog....

Is there any advice  for how to deal with the detox feeling?  How long does  it typically last for?  I've already had to apologize to my husband for being whiny and crabby......

I seem to remember it lasting 3 or 4 days, but it's probably different for everyone.  Let's just hope we don't end up single and jobless by then ;)

I'm trying to keep a low profile in my office.  Ibuprofen helps and a boatload of water.  I'm also sucking down black coffee.  I feel like a 90 minute massage, a 2 day long nap and pancakes with a mimosa would be most beneficial, but that's not very realistic of me :)

1 hour ago, FingerlingPotato said:

Olivia, Are you eating fat such as avocado or olives with your meals? I have experienced this on my first round back in October and of course last night I forgot my fat and also woke up feeling oh so hungry.

That's really good to know. I roasted a bunch of vegetables with a good amount of olive oil on them and made some compound butter (ghee) to go on the bison meat we had so I feel like the fat was taken care of, but maybe adding in a bit more? I still feel pretty hungry even after a good breakfast (a smoothie of banana, spinach, raspberries and almond butter) that has always satisfied me before (I even ate some extra almond butter!). Hoping this passes sooner rather than later, because the empty pit feeling in my stomach is gonna make it harder to say no to cravings I think.

1 hour ago, Jorda said:

It might be that your body is trying to figure out how to run on fat rather than all carbs. It might be saying, "Yeah, I see all the food, but where's the GLUCOSE?" Just keeping telling it that fat and protein are what it can have, and it'll get the idea eventually!

Okay! Thanks! I'm pushing through, and will think of it that way, retraining my gut to get used to the better foods!

0Hi all

Day 3 has begun. Couldn' face eggs again this morning so tuna salad for breakfast.

Glad I'm not working this week as tired and have bad head today. At least I know this will pass. ;)

Can I double check before I eat any about bacon. I read an old post on the forum that said that I could eat bacon that had nitrates? It has no sugar or sulphate but as it was an old post I wanted to make sure.

How is everyone else feeling today?

Found info about bacon myself.

hiya!!!!

I am 2 days in and going for it! I deal with PCOS, Endometriosis and Adenomyosis so my doc has suggested this as a way of life as much as possible. I know I am gonna have cake one day in the future but he advises I live 80-20 to this for my health.....Would love some more folks to do it with and share tips!!! 

give me a shout! 

On 1/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, Jorda said:

@Alicia, how did today go?

it went freaking fantastic.. and so did day 2, even while working in a restaurant where there lies a big silver bowl of french fires that constantly call to me.  today i went to a hot yoga session and then an hour long snow shoe.  came home and just finished some shrimp chowder.   Thanks for checking in.  I don't always get on my computer, but I might try a bit harder to touch base and check in.......

Good evening W30 people from the still frozen suburbs of NYC.  Now they are talking about a "bomb cyclone" here tonight into tomorrow, with snow and high winds. Ugh.   Today is my day off and as usual, I did some planning, prepping and cooking.  I work a long day on Thur, so there will be no kitchen time tomorrow, and I have to plan to pack 2 meals. 

I made a fish curry thing, based on this recipe: https://meljoulwan.com/2009/09/08/dinner-and-a-movie™-step-brothers-and-chicken-coconut-curry/.  I used cod instead of shrimp, and broccoli instead of eggplant because it was in the frog.  Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells pretty good!  I also made a big tossed salad and Italian dressing.   

Like many others, I am also trying to get more exercise.  On Monday I went swimming and today I took a yoga class.  All the little muscles in my body are waking up!  Feeling sore in many places. Today I was also reminded how important timing is. The gym and the supermarket are in the same place.  My yoga class was 12:15-1:15, and I didn't want to go home for lunch and then go back to do my shopping.  So I raced through the supermarket and I was really hungry when I got home.  Need to plan for food emergencies! 

Overall, my husband and I feel pretty good.  We both had rough days at work yesterday but neither one of us was overly cranky.  With no junky food in the house, disappearing into a bag of chips was not an option either. The unrelenting cold weather (with worse on the horizon) is more of a bummer for me than no sugar!

Stay strong people! More discoveries and delicious meals are around every corner.  

5 hours ago, alicia b said:

it went freaking fantastic.. and so did day 2, even while working in a restaurant where there lies a big silver bowl of french fires that constantly call to me.  today i went to a hot yoga session and then an hour long snow shoe.  came home and just finished some shrimp chowder.   Thanks for checking in.  I don't always get on my computer, but I might try a bit harder to touch base and check in.......

I'm so glad! We've got this!!

Great Job everyone!! Day 4...

I woke up early today and went to a cardio kickboxing class.  I thought I was going to die. Back home eating eggs before work.  I think I need to start snacking.  What are some good WHOLE30 approved snacks that everyone likes?

How's everyone doing so far?  This is my second W30.  I work overnights in a hospital lab 7 nights on, 7 off.  I didn't have the luxury of starting on an "off" week this time and my prep was less than great.  It's my second night of work, and I'm already going to have to cook something!  I'll have to thumb through the Fast and Easy cookbook to find a few things that won't compromise my sleep.  Any suggestions?  Instant Pot or slow cooker recipes welcome!  I live on leftovers most of my work week.

I'm looking forward to slaying the sugar dragon again.  He's much smaller and less scary this time around.  Keep up the great work, everybody!

Happy Day 4!  Today's goal:  Don't Punch Anybody. Good one, right?  I'm just sooooo tired, and why does everyone else look so awake?  Also, the bakery I pass on my way to work smelled obscenely good.  I fantasized about robbing them of their donuts and I felt VERY resentful of everyone in line. 

Power Pump today in the gym...choreographed lifting to music.  I might nap instead.  Game time decisions.

Have a great day, friends!!!  Super job so far, everyone!  <3

Friends...anybody out there have their bowels in an uproar?? That's my worst symptom so far. I have IBS so I'm prone, but I thought I'd feel a bit better gutwise, and I don't. I'm on Day 4 and I've had only a few moments of sugar cravings so I ate half a grapefruit, and apple and some raisins all total. Today I'll try to get along without any of that. 

So far so good still! Last night Hubby was on "make dinner duty" and his day ran super long, so he picked up Panda Express on the way home. This was PRECISELY what happened in my last W30, and I ate Panda and had to start over. Not this time! I found part of a leftover steak, heated up green beans, and treated myself to the last persimmon so I wouldn't wish (too much!) that I were eating Sweet Fire Chicken instead. Made it through!

And my face is looking better! W00t w00t!

It's a snow day!  Made the decision not to go to work today and I am really glad.  Its awful out there! 

Slept really crappy last night, and today I am totally not hungry, and even a bit nauseous. It does feel like a hangover. I ate breakfast because I knew I had to and I am about to do the same for lunch.  This is not something I had to face in previous W30. Being home today makes it a bit easier to deal with it since I am not locked into a "lunch hour."  Hoping this will pass in a day or two at the most! 

I started January 2nd after coming from what was close to a Standard American Diet - including a Christmas season full of homemade eggnog - and I breezed through the first few days. Now I am so cranky. i think I want to kill all the things. Doesn't help that we have arctic weather and snow. 

Staying strong - but want some buddies.

@LiLoVing You are not alone!  Many of us are in the same place, breezing through the first few days and now either hungover or really cranky!  I live in New York and this storm has brought more snow than we were thinking.  

Tell us people, what are you cooking and eating and are you in the path of this mighty storm? 

Archived