Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

@Susie1276 I have the opposite problem!  No appetite. LOL who would have thought not wanting to eat would be a problem.  Just finished making Big Turkey Meatballs from Fast & Easy with roasted broccoli and cherry tomatoes. i think I will be able to eat this for lunch. Progress! 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yesterday I felt great and today I have THE HEADACHE! Why on day 6? Hubby made a lovely breakfast this morning, sweet potato hash with an egg on top and a half avocado. YUM! We are going out to run errands today which usually means we will eat out and I am a little worried I must admit. I know I will manage but in all reality I am concerned about not getting enough food at a restaurant for my lunch. We shall see.

Happy day 6 everyone!

Those of you who  feel like you aren't "suffering" or not feeling much different- I have felt the same on my W30's. I think (since I am not a nutritionist or a doctor) it means that your bad food habits just aren't as bad or "toxic" compared to others going through it. But it doesn't mean they aren't bad habits and that you don't need to change and, more importantly as you proceed through the 30 days, you don't have to feel guilty that you aren't feeling bad. That's not a measure of anything in this process.

Thanks to everyone for sharing and being accountable.  Today i went shopping with my daughter who is also doing theW30.  It was nice doing this with her.   We were both reading every label!  I made another batch of chicken stock and then heated it up and poured it into my Starbucks travel mug and brought it with me shopping,  it warmed my bones.  We're in single digits here in Pennsylvania, and I've given up coffee and Starbucks so this was a good go to, and it tastes great! 

I made the broccoli/ beef over cabbage last night and it was delicious,  my husband,  daughter and son in law came over and we polished off the entire meal they all loved it.  The recipe is in the w30 fast and easy cookbook. I had also made cashew chicken baked tenders and had them available for a quick grab (same cookbook)  I highly recommend both!

58 minutes ago, Lew said:

Those of you who  feel like you aren't "suffering" or not feeling much different- I have felt the same on my W30's. I think (since I am not a nutritionist or a doctor) it means that your bad food habits just aren't as bad or "toxic" compared to others going through it. But it doesn't mean they aren't bad habits and that you don't need to change and, more importantly as you proceed through the 30 days, you don't have to feel guilty that you aren't feeling bad. That's not a measure of anything in this process.

Thanks Lew. I was wondering about this. I have eaten whole foods for a long time though mixed with lots of carbs, wine and dark chocolate. 

16 minutes ago, mom56 said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing and being accountable.  Today i went shopping with my daughter who is also doing theW30.  It was nice doing this with her.   We were both reading every label!  I made another batch of chicken stock and then heated it up and poured it into my Starbucks travel mug and brought it with me shopping,  it warmed my bones.  We're in single digits here in Pennsylvania, and I've given up coffee and Starbucks so this was a good go to, and it tastes great! 

I made the broccoli/ beef over cabbage last night and it was delicious,  my husband,  daughter and son in law came over and we polished off the entire meal they all loved it.  The recipe is in the w30 fast and easy cookbook. I had also made cashew chicken baked tenders and had them available for a quick grab (same cookbook)  I highly recommend both!

I will have to try those recipes!  Thanks for the recommendation! 

Tonight I was at a potluck, and virtually everything was non-compliant (except for my dish, of course). I thought about caving and having battered fried chicken, when a friend came up to me in line and asked, "Did I hear you're doing Whole 30?" THANK YOU GOD for sending an accountability partner when I needed it! I ate some fresh veggies, my dish, and decided to just really eat when I got home. So I'm still good at the end of Day 6!

Still not feeling anything. But this time I'm hoping that I'll drop a little weight. We'll see!

Hi guys. Things are going really well this time around (2nd full Whole30, with 2 mini-resets under my belt :)).  BIG QUESTION THO:  

This has been an issue for me for many, many months, and one I’m hoping this Whole30 will help resolve. MY SLEEP RHYTHM IS WHACKED!! :P  I will fall hard asleep in the early evening, wake up 2 hours later and then I’m up til 2-3 am. I could sleep til noon the next day, easily, if I could. I’ve tried magnesium, melatonin, meditation, reading, alarms, hot baths, etc, all to no avail.  My energy and clarity start to pick up after dinner and by 10:30 pm, I’m ready to take on the world!!  ACK!!

I’m eating well from the template with little to no snacking between meals. I exercise regularly and consider myself fit. Is there perhaps something hormonal going on?  Any FOOD connections or thoughts that anyone can think of that could be contributing, or conversely, be a solution?  This is a real problem that I have earnestly tried to resolve, but to no avail. 

Thanks for any feedback!  Carry on!

Steph

@Steph the Desert Rat a few questions about the sleep piece that might help us figure out more of what’s going on. I’m asking tons of personal questions so please respond with only what you feel comfortable with or not at all if the info is too private for you! How long has it been happening? You mentioned many months but what does that mean exactly? Did the onset coincide with any significant life changes or any food changes? What time do you typically get up in the morning and go to sleep at night? How old are you and are you experiencing any major hormonal changes like pregnancy, breastfeeding, or menopause? Are you waking up and feeling anxious when you’re unable to fall back asleep (I assume you were using magnesium for the anxiety component but not sure)? Are you waking up for a reason of any kind like needing to use the restroom or because you hear something in your room? When you’re having difficulty falling back to sleep what is it that you do? Do you have any medical conditions of any kind? Do you smoke cigarettes or use substances of any kind? 

On 1/3/2018 at 8:45 AM, CrazyCookie said:

Is there any advice  for how to deal with the detox feeling?  How long does  it typically last for?  I've already had to apologize to my husband for being whiny and crabby......

Lots of water, and make sure to salt your food.  Magnesium and potassium are the other electrolytes that can help with this feeling as well. Also it can help to give yourself a pep talk and refocus on your reasons for doing a Whole30.

I had my first junk food dream last night! I dreamt I was cooking ramen noodles but things kept coming up and I kept trying to get back to my pot on the stove so I could eat, but was never able to! It was nice that even my subconscious wouldn't let me cheat, but what a weird and vivid dream! 

Looking for legit Whole30 recipe for a chicken stir fry tonight. I lent my first book to someone and can't find it or remember who I lent it to. So if anyone out here has a recipe,  I have to go out today anyway - can wear shorts cuz it's hitting 30 today! :D  thanks much fellow W30ers.

By the way, yesterday I stopped at Whole Foods for sugar free bacon and as I was reaching a young woman was reaching as well so I said "Whole 30?"  I think she's struggling because her response was not warm and that of a partner in doing this!  Just a "yeah". Nothing else. I could have told her it's my second and good for you and loads of other encouraging things but she was having none if it. Her loss, but awkward that we were in every aisle looking at the same stuff the rest of my time there. Oh yeah, I went for bacon - over $100 later I got out of there. 

Im glad at least we gave these forums to share!  Happy day 7. 

Making progress, so far I have had 2 meals without too much difficulty. For breakfast, I made a hash with half a baked potato, peppers, onions and spinach.  Then a fried egg and some prosciutto.  I actually enjoyed my lunch!--big turkey meatball with taco sauce, roasted green beans and half a mandarin). Overall feeling better today. I was even motivated to go to the gym. 

Went to yoga then I went to Whole Foods.  Bought a tin of NomNom Paleo Magic Mushroom Powder, among other things. Bought some compliant sausage and lox as breakfast options.   @Susie1276 I only spent $51!  Not sure how I escaped without dropping $100. 

I am going to a meeting tomorrow morning, coming back on Tue. I will have to navigate 4 meals. Going to check the hotel to see if there is a frig and pack some food.  

Today is day 7, that's ONE WEEK DOWN!  Stay strong.  

Today I made cauliflower hash with sugar free applesauce,  scrambled eggs with red/ green peppers,  and compliant bacon.  Chicken stock for my warming beverage for our breakfast.  My husband is enjoying all of the meals, we just moved into a new  house with a great kitchen,  so I'm enjoying breaking it in! 

20180107_093540.jpg

Day 7!

Hey I am noticing that it seems some of our accountability partners are fading into the distance. How is everyone doing?

Six days late I purchased "Whole30 Day by Day" and wow is it accurate. On day 7 it says that we feel accomplished after a whole week yet perhaps a little anxious and maybe wanting to check the scale to see if indeed anything is happening. Of course we don't want to do that now do we? Also it says that we may not notice any changes yet and are feeling discouraged. Anyone feeling this way?

Melissa goes on to say this is normal as it is set in our head from previous dieting. That for a diet to work we must restrict ourselves, be hungry and put our will power to the test daily. But with Whole30 it just isn't that way.

She encourages us to not give in to the anxiety and instead, today is a day to feel hopeful and trust the process.

Hi FingerlingPotato ( and all )

I ordered that book in December and Amazon may be delivering it on 15/1  better late than never!

Still going but have been busy decorating my guest bedroom so haven' been shopping and really need to get some more veggies eggs etc tomorrow. Headache has gone and I'm sure my clothes feel bit looser. 

I find it very hard not to step on the scales. My day could be happy or ruined just by the number on those pesky things! :wacko: I wish I was brave enough to just throw them away! 

Back to work tomorrow surrounded by cakes bread and  all sorts of temptation so little bit anxious about that. But if I'm organised with lunch to take with me instead of having it there I'll be fine. 

Day 7 done!:D

41 minutes ago, sunshine33 said:

Back to work tomorrow surrounded by cakes bread and  all sorts of temptation so little bit anxious about that.

I dunno if this is a good attitude to have :lol: but in those types of situations I often just feel smug rather than feel tempted.

I just have to say that I am thrilled with the Fast and Easy cookbook!  Everything I've made is delicious, I've found that if I can prep most of the ingredients throughout the day,  then putting it together is a snap.  I made the spaghetti squash,  pork, tomato dish tonight with asparagus and my husband couldn't get over how tasty and "light" it was ... not heavy like pasta. Good luck everyone starting week 2!!! :)

20180107_180540.jpg

Hello everyone! Sorry for being MIA, I don't often get a chance to be on my computer during the day and if I'm on the computer after the kids' bedtime it effs with my sleep...

Another vote here for the whole30 day-by-day book. Last night (day 6) I was THISCLOSE to throwing in the towel. I start to have aversions, like I'll be so hungry but everything compliant literally makes me gag just thinking about it. I started to think, maybe just some cheese, maybe I'll just be grain-free and forget the whole30... but then I checked the book and my gosh was her advice for day 6 RIGHT on and exactly what I needed to hear. I am so glad I stuck to it because today I feel absolutely amazing. Endless patience with my kids (who are being extra trying today, naturally), boundless energy, an overwhelming feeling of joy and contentedness. I recognize it may not stay this way but this is the closest I've gotten to tiger blood in any of my whole30s and my gosh it's an NSV that is worth hanging on to!

Ok the baby is crying but I'll check in again soon. Best of luck to you all!

20 hours ago, Steph the Desert Rat said:

This has been an issue for me for many, many months, and one I’m hoping this Whole30 will help resolve. MY SLEEP RHYTHM IS WHACKED!! :P  I will fall hard asleep in the early evening, wake up 2 hours later and then I’m up til 2-3 am. I could sleep til noon the next day, easily, if I could. I’ve tried magnesium, melatonin, meditation, reading, alarms, hot baths, etc, all to no avail.  My energy and clarity start to pick up after dinner and by 10:30 pm, I’m ready to take on the world!!  ACK!!

Probably not the answer you want lol, but have you investigated polyphasic sleeping? It sounds like you're on your way already! Google it.

Just to check in, all is well here. I continue to feel ... fine. I feel so much better eliminating those unhealthy carbs, but other than that there's no kill all the things / cravings / fatigue / tiger's blood / nothing. That's cool by me! 

I made a terrible compliant dish Friday night lol. It was ground turkey, veggies, some seasonings. Eeeccchh. So bland. And, it's TURKEY. I don't like turkey hahah! So I added beans to it, some water and seasonings, and gave it to my neighbor as chili! Tonight I made something I could eat all of: shredded sweet potato, shredded apple, cinnamon and nutmeg, salt and pepper, eggs blended with coconut milk poured over, a few raisins sprinkled, and baked. When you're off sugar, sweet potatoes and apples taste like dessert, so I felt like I was getting dessert for dinner :).

May everyone's week be awesome!

On 12/27/2017 at 1:25 PM, AlyshaG said:

Good morning!

My husband and  I will be doing our first round of Whole 30 beginning January 1st. We are a relatively healthy and active family, but we need to do this! Will definitely help others stay accountable and keep us accountable too! :D 

I'm in the same point. Pretty healthy already, but want to eat cleaner.  Let's hold each other accountable. It's already day 8!

Archived