Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

@Lew I haven’t been snacking much this week but my vice is getting seconds at dinner (when let’s be real I had plenty with my first helping). I’m finding that i’m more in tune with my body since starting the whole30 but that psychological component is where i’m Still struggling a bit especially when stressed. I’m really trying to focus on that part of the program at this point because I feel like I am much more comfortable with the actual food part. Aside from being mindful about the food I buy and prepare I am trying my best to be more mindful about my actual eating of it. Asking myself not necessarily am I full because I know that my brain and stomach might be on different pages on that one but was this enough fuel for my body? With snacking I found that the two tips Melissa recommends In the day by day book to be really helpful. The HALT method and the “am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli?” I hope others have some tactics we might be able to use!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was TERRIBLE! and I so wanted to give up. Started my day with a nightmare about my son being in danger and there was nothing I could do about it and the day just got worse. I was so grumpy and no one could do or say anything to make me less grumpy. HOWEVER! I MADE IT! But then last night I had a dream that I was trying to convince myself to just drop Whole30 and eat non-compliant foods. When I woke up I was so happy it was a dream.

Today, I just felt blah and kind of numb. But reading my Day by Day book eased my mind. I am not ready to quit and I am not ready to give up. I will keep on keepin' on.

The leftover Christmas chocolate that hasn't bothered me yet is calling my name tonight!  I know it's due to my whacky schedule and less than planned (salad with no protein) dinner tonight. Opting for a cup of peppermint tea and a book instead!

@FingerlingPotato

Oh my goodness...I did too!!!  I don't remember what happened to Jack in the dream, but right before I woke up I was looking at him lying very still.  It was AWFUL.  I'm so sorry it happened to you, but very glad our boys are safe in real life.  My dreams are vivid and strange right now.  The night before last I dreamt that I was making a recipe with loads of butter, and the recipe read "only a female can add the butter"...what the heck is that about?  Yesterday was indeed a hard day.  I feel a little better today, but fragile.  Like a small thing could push me over the edge.  I found some compliant smoked salmon at Trader Joe's last night, and I'm hoping that adding that to the sweet potato and egg hash I brought for lunch will give me an energy bump and make me feel better!  Happy day 11, and virtual hugs to you <3.

Sounds delicious!  I went to the store the other day to pick up some pancetta for a fast and easy recipe.   I went to the specialty deli and had the pancetta portion sliced.   I then paid for it and walked towards the exit...i realized i didn't ask to look at the ingredients of the pancetta and so i walked back I  and asked.  To my dismay as well as the employee the second ingredient was SUGAR... so i returned the sliced pancetta for a refund!  I made the dish anyway without the pancetta. 

It's CRAZY that sugar is in ALMOST EVERYTHING!! I am very happy thus far on the plan,  and it is definitely a life lesson in Just 30 short days to learn to QUALIFY the food we choose to put into our body.  I've learned that if I wanted to CHOOSE to indulge in say a candy bar (after the w30 of course!)  Then I'm choosing to consume that sugar whole heartedly.  What's REALLY mind blowing is that i hadn't realized how much "non knowing" sugar I had been consuming.

I'll be honest.... it really makes me upset that sugar is in everything.  But,  thankfully I've learned to make MUCH  healthier choices and I  will be sticking to them! :)

Well I woke up today before my alarm with lots of energy, which is quite odd for me. Usually I'm a slow morning person. I'm hoping this means I'm turning the corner towards tiger blood, but will be happy to just feel like the mornings aren't such a drag. I can feel myself getting tired of some of the foods though. I'd love to hear from you all what your favorite easy dinner dishes have been. 

I had my sister over for dinner last night she's thinking about doing w30 with me but is hesitant so I needed to show off how great the food can be!  I did a chili lime marinated pork chop on the grill, steamed broccoli, and jalapeño lime sweet potatoes from the fast and easy cook book (so yummy!). It was all so good and easy!  Success!

Went shopping today. $100.  I almost always think I bought too much food but it usually all gets eaten! I am planning on making sheet pan shrimp and broccoli for dinner. Also breakfast sausage patties. 

Feeling very good! Sleeping great. Jeans not quite as tight! Wish it wasn't so darn cold but even a Whole30 can't change that. 

IMG_3931.JPG

That looks like my shopping just yesterday!  I had to go out before the ice and snow hit us again.   I also bought my daughter's groceries who is also on the plan,  for the roads would have been to bad for her to go after she got off of work.

I too believe I buy too much,  but by weeks end,  I need to shop again!.  Crazy!  But I'm feeling great,  just a little tired. 

@ShellyM that all looks and sounds so good! My grocery cart the other day looked similar. I spent around $140, but got enough for 4 freezer meals (which I assembled today) and some extra meat on sale to throw in the freezer. Unfortunately, I'll still have to go again at the beginning of next week as I didn't get much beyond the freezer meals. 

Keep up the great work everybody!  We're almost halfway there!

This breakfast was huge for me but now I am ready for a cold winter day! Are other people eating this much at breakfast? 

Oriental sweet potato noodles sautéed over spinach with a little Italian dressing, homemade sausage patty, fried egg, and some avocado slices. And coffee with Nut pods. 

IMG_3932.JPG

Yes! I am,  that's looks really good!  I made an oatmeal "type" breakfast my daughter told me about yesterday, it was delicious!  Apple, pecans, raisins,  coconut and almond milk,  microwaved for 1 min, 45 seconds... warming and delicious.  Added a hard boiled egg and sugar free turkey bacon on the side for my protein.   I then took veggies for my morning snack,  and then made zucchini boats for dinner yesterday... no cheese of course!  Tonight I made spaghetti squash chicken chow mein,  again,  another great meal.  :) 

I have a vertical rotisserie so while dinner was being prepped I cooked a chicken,  then de-meated it and put  the the carcus with veggies and seasonings and will let that simmer for 18 hours,  and then I'll have my bone broth for my morning and evening warm drinks!  I'm feeling GREAT eating this way, I feel I'll definitely be eating more whole foods moving forward!

Hey where is everybody?  We are HALFWAY!  Anybody gotten to tiger blood?  Anybody struggling because they think they should be over the hump but they are not?  

Tomorrow I go back to work after a 3-day weekend!  Today my husband and I went to see The Post followed by a yoga class.  Both excellent!  Many scenes from The Post were filmed in our little city of White Plains.  It was fun to recognize some of those spots.  

Remember the picture I posted of all the food I bought on Saturday? Well, 3 days and I have cooked and prepped so much of it!  The eatin' is good in this neighborhood.  I made sausage patties (great for breakfast), sheet pan broccoli and shrimp (Fast & Easy cookbook, delicious), a whole chicken with gravy in the crockpot (very good but whenever I cook a whole chicken I feel like my whole kitchen is coated in layer of chicken grease), cream of mushroom soup in the Instant Pot (husband loves mushrooms and he loved the soup), mustard rubbed pork tenderloin with baby carrots (another sheet pan winner from Fast & Easy cookbook), kale chips (always a fav) and kale salad.  I thought I was going to put a good amount in the freezer but as usual I underestimated the amount of food 2 people eat, even in 3 days. In our non-Whole30 lives, we would not have eaten all 9 meals at home. Even though this is the 2nd W30 my husband and I have done together, I am still surprised at how much food it takes to feed 2 people 21 meals per week. Well, I did put some in the freezer and I have close to 2 days worth in the frig, I came to this as a person who enjoys cooking, but I think I might start looking for some shortcuts.  I spend ALOT of time in the kitchen.  

I am not at tiger blood yet, but definitely feel more energized and in control. Not just of food, but everything.  

How are you doing at the HALFWAY point?  

@ShellyM yum!  Everything sounds so yummy!  I know what you mean about spending so much time in the kitchen!

I don't think I've hit Tiger Blood yet. Due to my schedule, I'm so tired the last two days!  And I haven't been great about eating three template approved meals because of it. Strangely, I'm looking forward to going back to work this week as it means I'll be back on a schedule!  I started my first ever batch of homemade kombucha today so wish me luck!

@ShellyM @DebG44 Good morning, friends!

I definitely have more energy and working out has been GREAT (which is something I never though I'd say).  I'm not sleeping great yet, however.  I fall asleep well but then wake up multiple times.  It's probably the increased water intake.  I've read in places to try to drink less as bedtime approaches, but I don't want to do that.  Anyway, the issue isn't the waking up for the bathroom, it's falling back to sleep after.  I awoke at 4 a.m. this morning and couldn't get back to sleep at all.  Thoughts?  Ideas? 

Other than that I'm doing pretty well.  I can't say my mood has completely stabilized (I'm still a bit snippy), but it's improved a ton.  Spending an entire day every weekending cooking is an adjustment, but I suppose I can't be going for pancake and mimosa brunch instead, can I??? :) 

I went to a good friend's birthday dinner on Saturday and it wasn't easy watching them enjoy wine and beer while I sipped my sparkling water with lime - but then again, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. 

My clothes are fitting better.  I feel less like a whale and more like a panda.  Ha.

Keep up the good work, everyone!  Happy day 16!!!

Hey everyone! This is my first forum post this time around (2nd Whole 30). Started on 1/1 after a VERY glutenous December, and have been cruising along more easily than expected. Happy Day 16 people!

I've been cooking about three meals a week from the Whole 30 Fast & Easy cookbook, and I am loving these recipes. Only one so far that's not a keeper. My favs, in order of my personal ratings:

p.77 Almond-Crusted Pork Picatta with Zucchini Noodles (delicious and totally company/guest-worthy!)

p.47 Ginger Shrimp and Zucchini Stir-Fry

p.145 Apricot-Lamb Loaves With Roasted Cauliflower

p.57 Spanish Chicken and Cauliflower (one of those dishes that's better the next day, though still good the day of)

p.81 Zucchini Basil Chicken Hash

p.8 Cashew-Crusted Chicken and Wilted Kale Salad (chicken was tasty, but was not a fan of the kale salad - probably won't make this one again, other than the chicken)

Next up this week are turkey meatballs (p.115) and sheet pan roasted sausage/potato/cabbage (p.139). Definitely adding sheet pan broccoli and shrimp to my list after Shelley's review! I'm having a lot of fun cooking again. Used to love it, but the kitchen at my last house was cramped and kind of horrible to be in, so I cooked as little as possible. We moved last month, and Whole 30 is a great way to break in the new kitchen!

This morning I made what I call my version of lumberjack hash.  Cauliflower rice,  cabbage,  yelloe/green/ orange bell peppers, 1" asparagus, onion,  grape tomatoes, sliced chicken/ tomato/ basil sausage,  seasoning,  topped with a dippy egg.  Turkey bacon on the side and sliced watermelon.   1/2 small glass of fresh squeezed oj.  My husband got a larger portion than I and he commented 3 times that this breakfast was in his words "EXCELLENT "

@mom56 Sounds EXCELLENT indeed! And so adaptable to anything in veggie bin in your frog. 

I was inspired by your "oatmeal type" breakfast so I looked for a similar recipe and found this one:

http://freshplanetflavor.com/noatmeal-breakfast-bowl/.

I had a can of pumpkin puree instead of butternut squash. Threw everything in the food processor and BOOM! ready in no time and really delicious! Warned in the microwave, topped with some fresh fruit and walnuts, bacon on the side.  I would have e whipped up another batch immediately but don't have another banana :(.  

Archived