Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

Good morning, friends -

I've answered the question about why I have to pee 300 times a night and is it W30 related.  It's pregnancy related.  HA.  I found out last night I'm pregnant.  It's too early to tell anyone here, but not too early for the forum...right?!  Oh man...I'm 2 weeks shy of my 40th birthday and I have a 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter at home.  This is not unwelcome news, but certainly unexpected!!!!  I'm happy-terrified. 

My partner said "Well...you've certainly been eating right for the last couple of weeks, so that's good news" :)

Cheers!!! <3

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MistyJG- Congratulations!  What wonderful news!

ShelleyM -your mock oatmeal sounds great,  i just got back from the store picking up a, few things including the butternut squash and pumpkin puree's to try them both!  With snow outside,  this sounds like a wonderful warming morning meal :)

Oh my gosh MISTY!!! Congratulations!!! That is just wonderful news! I can't believe how many stories I hear of women getting pregnant on the whole30. While that's not a reason I started it in the first place, I am hoping that it will end up being an added bonus for me as well :) It's definitely been a motivation to stick with it, hoping that it could increase my chances.

Day 17 here and the magic has started! I woke up with that magic Tiger Blood, and not a moment too soon. I have been struggling with outrageous insomnia and night before last was one of the worst I've ever had. I was up until 4am, just tossing and turning and unable to relax. I think I probably need to quit caffeine, if I'm being brutally honest with myself. I've become more and more sensitive to it over the years and I feel best when I don't have any at all...

So yes, I'm feeling unbelievable today.  Boundless energy and positivity and patience with the kids (the best part).  Hope everyone else is feeling well too!

I've noticed for the magic to happen for me (probably because I'm active AND nursing frequently), I need tons of carb-rich vegetables and a lot (LOT) of fat.  In previous whole30s I used fruit for carbs and didn't quite hit the stage of feeling this amazing. I'm certain that's the game-changer this round!

Have to take a last minute trip back home to the Midwest for my best friends mom's funeral. I'm worried about staying on track when I don't have as many resources, or my compliantly stocked fridge!  I have Epic, DNX, and RX bars, and cut up fruits and veggies for the plane. But Friday and Saturday will be a bit tough, as I won't even be at my moms house with her kitchen, but at the funeral and celebration of life, supporting my friend. I am determined to not give in, but I know it will be a struggle!

8 minutes ago, DebG44 said:

Have to take a last minute trip back home to the Midwest for my best friends mom's funeral. I'm worried about staying on track when I don't have as many resources, or my compliantly stocked fridge!  I have Epic, DNX, and RX bars, and cut up fruits and veggies for the plane. But Friday and Saturday will be a bit tough, as I won't even be at my moms house with her kitchen, but at the funeral and celebration of life, supporting my friend. I am determined to not give in, but I know it will be a struggle!

You’ve got this! I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s loss and I’m glad he will be there to support her.

Haven't posted for a while but still going ok though not great. Last week I met a friend for lunch, did  a grilled chicken Cobb salad, without the cheese, with oil and vinegar. First meal out of the house.I am still feeling a slight lack of energy but not having any trouble staying compliant. Despite that, and the fact that my wife Shelly is making amazing,tasty and inventive food ( I really liked the oatmeal substitute she found and made for us this morning) I keep thinking "I can't wait to start eating again." So just what is it I have been doing the last almost 3 weeks? And this isn't all that much different than my usual diet, except for the alcohol and wheat. I am not big on sugar to begin with and cut out dairy after my last W30. I'm not craving anything in particular, just feel  constrained, even though there is so much to have and it's really good stuff. I guess it's just the lack of freedom to choose. Shelly goes out of town tomorrow for 4 days so I have planned out what's available and where it is (I have what I call "male pattern blindness"- the more obvious something is, the less likely I am to find it)

I've been off the grid for a while but back posting because I'm a bit discouraged. I have been doing fine with staying compliant with food and actually don't find it all that difficult anymore. BUT I did get on the scale today.... I KNOW I KNOW! It was so disappointing. Not a single pound lost and I really feel like I've made some significant changes to the way I eat. I am going through all of my NSVs in my head to try to regroup, but honestly the only one that really comes up for me is feeling less controlled by food, having more self-control around food. That's a huge thing for me, but I am feeling a little blue that I don't have any tiger blood, that my clothes are fitting the same, that I haven't noticed any changes in my psoriasis, etc. Even though I broke the scale rule, I am going to keep on keeping on with the rest of the program because the relationship with food piece is very important to me and I do need to remind myself that alone is worth doing this for. 

Day  20 and doing well,  a bit tired today but instead of taking a nap I went to my basement and rode my expresso bike for 32 minutes on a challenging route.   I feel better now!  

ShellyM had mentioned in an earlier post about a butternut squash puree hot or cold cereal,  it was delicious! 

Tonight I made enchilada sweet potatoes and asparagus,  a bit spicy but the flavours complimented each other. 

Only 10 days to go!!!! :D

Good morning from San Antonio. I am at a 3 day meeting plus 1 day of travel. It's been tough but I am doing the best I can which is pretty good but not perfect.  

I packed 2 meals for the trip down which was a very good thing because my original flight was cancelled. It turned into a very long somewhat stressful day.  

The hotel has a hot breakfast with scrambled eggs and sausage and lots of other things that I can't eat.  

For lunch and dinner I've been eating variations of grilled chicken on a salad. Chicken fajita salad. Chicken Cobb salad. And last night I had a taco baked potato.  So probably not totally compliant but as close as possible.  It feels like good practice for food freedom forever!  I have no cravings when they roll out the cookies, granola bars, Coke and chips during breaks.  

I know this sounds corny, but when I feel myself faultering, I remember the Alamo.  I think of what they must have endured, surely I can endure limited food options while I am here. 

Remember the Alamo! Stay strong. 

My husband and I just got done moving a treadmill and a large lawn mower over to our daughters home.   Tired.   On our way back my husband asks if I'd mind if he stopped and got a peanut butter meal replacement smoothie from sincerely yogurt!.   I didn't partake,  but i sure wanted to! 

On 1/17/2018 at 8:04 PM, MistyJG said:

You’ve got this! I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s loss and I’m glad he will be there to support her.

Thanks!  I have been staying compliant.   My friend and I are drinking buddies, so it's been hard to stay away from wine around her, but I'm staying strong!  

And congratulations on your big news! 

Is anyone else just... kind of over it?

It's not even craving-related, and in fact I'm feeling pretty fantastic. But every time I get hungry I feel rage cause I don't want to eat anything compliant! I'm just so freaking OVER IT.

I'm also experiencing severe insomnia. I've struggled to fall asleep since I was a little kid; it seems just part of my temperament/DNA. It's ok, I'm overall pretty high-energy so it hasn't derailed me too much, but lately it's been so severe it's impacting my life pretty badly.  When I get somewhere near enough sleep (which is always in 2-hour chunks at most, as all my kids are very wakeful, even the 6-year-old, ugh), I feel absolutely incredible.  But 4-5 nights a week, it takes me anywhere from 2-6 (yes, 6) hours to fall asleep. The other night I got in bed at 9:30pm absolutely wiped out and I didn't fall asleep until almost 4. 4am. Like... what the hell, seriously. One of my big motivators for doing the whole30 was improved sleep. And honestly my sleep is WORSE than before.

I got melatonin, which has done exactly nothing so far.  I am weaning off caffeine, the only reasonable next step I suppose...

Hope everyone else is doing well!

2 hours ago, KTH1010 said:

Is anyone else just... kind of over it?

Yes. I'm sorry to hear that you're having worse sleep. That really stinks.

I honestly feel nothing positive. I am actually now breaking out more. This sounds small and insignificant but I cannot remember the last time I had a zit. When I get them it is ALWAYS one or two around my period. I have multiple zits, not even close to my period, and I've not had a single solid poop since we started. Granted these really aren't the worst things, but they're still frustrating.

I'm not having difficulty staying compliant, it's more just like what's the point? Everything I read in the day-by-day book and the regular book seems to indicate that by this time we should be experiencing some positive NSVs. The day-by-day book does say that day 21 is characterized by feeling "over it." But part of the motivation to continue is the positive things we've experienced thus far.

I don't see myself stopping now because I think part of this journey for me is to show myself I can do it, and I guess thats a worthwhile goal for me still.

I'm not sure this helped you at all, except to say I feel like I'm in the same boat. 

Olivia, this is definitely helpful, though I'm sorry you're in the same boat!

I looked at the day-by-day book after I read your post, and it really is unbelievable how right on that book is.  The only thing that doesn't resonate is her suggestion to try new foods. I am not interested! I just want to get every meal over with!! I have found myself heating up leftover vegetables/potatoes, topping with ghee/seasoning/a squirt of lemon, and either hard boiled eggs or chicken breast (BORING but easy to choke down) and forcing it all down.  And eating as much as I possibly can in hopes I'll stay full for as long as possible so I don't have to face the next meal. How silly is this?!? It's funny cause I'm not even really having cravings per se. I just don't want whole30 food!

If my sleep were amazing I'd probably be a lot more motivated right now. I know I'll finish the 30 days, since it doesn't even feel really difficult, just... gross and boring I guess.

I am starting to think of how I'll eat after this... for the most part I might keep it the same but incorporate off-plan foods with compliant ingredients (like paleo pancakes, grain-free chips and crackers etc).

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Hey Shelly, thanks! No, no one who can cook for me, but that's ok. Actually we had some friends over for brunch today and I said they didn't have to worry about making anything for me... but she did anyway, and it was a welcome change from what I've been eating! She made a skillet with eggs, ground turkey, mushroom and onion, topped with sliced sweet potato. It was great. 

I'll make it through. Remember the Alamo!

While in San Antonio, I had the exact same breakfast every morning and a variation of salad with chicken on top every evening.  

When I got home last night, my husband said he defrosted some chicken breasts so we would have something to eat tonight.

NO. MORE. CHICKEN.

Day 22, and I have confess... I'm ok with the food,  my new found food  agrees with my suggesting tract, so I'll be sticking with many of the changes. 

But...I do miss enjoying a couple of Martinis or White Russians! But I will come February 1st enjoy a cocktail :)...or 2!

Anyone else struggling with breakfast?

I've had more than one day where I have to force down a hard boiled egg or rx bar (SO not ideal, I know, I know!) cause everything else sounds nauseating! No, I'm not pregnant! Just have such aversions in the morning. Anyone else?

Day 23! Can't believe it!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, DebG44 said:

How's everyone doing so far?  This is my second W30.  I work overnights in a hospital lab 7 nights on, 7 off.  I didn't have the luxury of starting on an "off" week this time and my prep was less than great.  It's my second night of work, and I'm already going to have to cook something!  I'll have to thumb through the Fast and Easy cookbook to find a few things that won't compromise my sleep.  Any suggestions?  Instant Pot or slow cooker recipes welcome!  I live on leftovers most of my work week.

I'm looking forward to slaying the sugar dragon again.  He's much smaller and less scary this time around.  Keep up the great work, everybody!

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie, day 2 of my first Whole30. I'm loving the meals but am honestly a little freaked out at how much I'm supposed to eat. I'm sure this is a 'normal' reaction for a lot of folks (or maybe not ;) ) - but would love some wise words to help calm the gluttony demons. Thx in advance to my new WholePeople!

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Trish-Kabob said:

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie, day 2 of my first Whole30. I'm loving the meals but am honestly a little freaked out at how much I'm supposed to eat. I'm sure this is a 'normal' reaction for a lot of folks (or maybe not ;) ) - but would love some wise words to help calm the gluttony demons. Thx in advance to my new WholePeople!

Ya, in a culture where we're told to eat as little as possible, having a program tell you to fill your plate, eat three times a day, eat for workouts etc. It's a little strange. Especially as women because we're supposed to take up as little space as possible and that tends to include our nutritional needs.

The template (linked in my signature below) is a range though. Depending on your context you could be eating more or less than someone else doing the same program. If you're able to get 4-5 hours between meals comfortably, then you're doing great. If you're starving by hour 3 then you need to eat more. Alternately if you're still full at hour 6, you might need to scale back a bit. 

You can give us a run down on what you've been eating if you want. We can take a look and see if you're on the right track. If you want to do that, please open a new thread in Troubleshooting.

Archived