Accountability partners for January 1st 2018

FingerlingPotato

And for everyone else wondering about reintros, it's not just about foods you are missing, craving, whatever.  Stuff like gluten, soy, corn can be important to reintro because your reactions will tell you about how vigilant you must be going forward. Ya, you might not be wanting corn on the cobb, but recall that HFCS is practically in everything, so if you have a problem with it, now after a Whole30 is the time to find out.

Give yourself the benefit of this clean slate you've created.  Doing reintros and discovering irritations etc. will give you the peace of mind on how hard you need to quiz waiters, read labels, etc. from now and for ever after.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kirkor said:

Between wine & ice cream you've got alcohol, sulfites, dairy, sugar, and carageenan.  If you can get wine without sulfites, cool, but dairy and carageenan are big enough potential bugaboos that they're worth reintro'ing separately FWIW.

Thank you! Great points! I will try dairy alone first (no carrageenan or sugar-wait-what would that be? Cheese maybe) and see what happens. I’m willing to go slow. Just the wine tonight. Wasn’t able to get sulfite free. Thanks!

1 hour ago, kirkor said:

And for everyone else wondering about reintros, it's not just about foods you are missing, craving, whatever.  Stuff like gluten, soy, corn can be important to reintro because your reactions will tell you about how vigilant you must be going forward. Ya, you might not be wanting corn on the cobb, but recall that HFCS is practically in everything, so if you have a problem with it, now after a Whole30 is the time to find out.

Give yourself the benefit of this clean slate you've created.  Doing reintros and discovering irritations etc. will give you the peace of mind on how hard you need to quiz waiters, read labels, etc. from now and for ever after.

That's really good advice, thanks! 

18 hours ago, kirkor said:

Thanks @kirkor for the advice. I have a dinner party on Saturday (post w30 day 4). Wondering if I can reintro dairy that day since it's a Mexican themed dinner and there will be cheese...I am bringing w30 dishes for me and my partner, but a little cheese/sour cream might be nice, too. I know legumes are supposed to be up first but I don't like beans anyway so the dairy would make sense, though I know it's a trigger for some. Any reason to avoid dairy so soon?

2 hours ago, hotwheels said:

I know legumes are supposed to be up first but I don't like beans anyway so the dairy would make sense, though I know it's a trigger for some. Any reason to avoid dairy so soon?

Nope, have at it! The order of reintro is just a suggestion.

• Moderators

Hey guys!  Congratulations on your accomplishment and welcome to the reintroduction phase!  

In order to keep the forum tidy and non confusing to new participants who may only start reading at the end of a thread and see oatmeal and ice cream mentioned, we ask that you move your group to the Post Whole30/Reintroduction section.  Someone can make a log for the group which you can all still participate in, or if you need a hand, I can help too.

Thanks and we appreciate your understanding :)

Well, my husband and I went out to dinner on the 31st.  We went to Bonefish Grill.  I ordered Chilean Sea Bass (wood fire grilled) with a dollop of mango salsa and a squeeze of lemon. My sides were steamed broccoli and whipped garlic potatoes (which i didn't order for myself,  but for my husband, he ate them - the potatoes that is :).

I did order my signature lemon drop martini,  and guess what?!!.... I  could hardly finish it because it was SOOOO SWEET!  Having given up sugar,  I couldn't believe that I could drink 2-3 before and yet I could hardly finish one!  Since I had already set my mind on having 2 drinks,  I switched and ordered a moscow mule.   Honestly it went down better. :rolleyes:.  No desserts. 

So,  moving forward I will be giving up my stand by martini,  and finding something without sugar I can occasionally enjoy.  My personal trainer, said he'd hook me up with a bourbon drink he enjoys to try out.

17 minutes ago, mom56 said:

So,  moving forward I will be giving up my stand by martini,  and finding something without sugar I can occasionally enjoy.  My personal trainer, said he'd hook me up with a bourbon drink he enjoys to try out.

I think you already know this, but any alcoholic drink has lots of sugar in it inherently.  Bourbon on the rocks is a sugar bomb :D 

59 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

I think you already know this, but any alcoholic drink has lots of sugar in it inherently.  Bourbon on the rocks is a sugar bomb :D 

Where are you getting that info?

Should just be calories from alcohol (aka the fourth macro):

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-liquors-spirits-bourbon-whiskey-80-proof-40-alc_f-ZmlkPTEwMjU1Ng.html

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/bourbon,78636/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3844/2

Although, alcohol is metabolized as a first priority (it's a poison, after all), followed by carbs, then protein, then fat.  So maybe that's where people equated it with sugar?

10 hours ago, kirkor said:

Where are you getting that info?

Should just be calories from alcohol (aka the fourth macro):

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-liquors-spirits-bourbon-whiskey-80-proof-40-alc_f-ZmlkPTEwMjU1Ng.html

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/bourbon,78636/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3844/2

Although, alcohol is metabolized as a first priority (it's a poison, after all), followed by carbs, then protein, then fat.  So maybe that's where people equated it with sugar?

10 hours ago, mom56 said:

Thank you for the links, I would have been surprised if my trainer was recommending an occasional drink that was a "sugar bomb" when I had just expressed disliking that much sugar.   Appreciate the linked info :D

Hanging my head in ignorant shame :)  I've "known" that for so long, I have no idea where I got the misinformation.  Thanks for the correction...

Archived