MimiHI Whole30 Hi!

MimiHi

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1:
Last night I ate pasta salad, which is something I'd never eat otherwise, but somehow felt obligated to do so since it won't even be an option for the next 30 days. Of course, I woke up not feeling my best. Thank goodness I'd made up a batch of Chia pudding, so I pulled that out, topped it off with some fresh blueberries, and started Day 1 full of enthusiasm. I also gave myself a big pat on the back for being organized enough to actually have Chia Pudding in my fridge! Yea. 

Lunch was disgusting, packaged, compliant turkey. Again, not something I normally eat. So I'm headed to the store to get a small turkey to roast myself this afternoon. 

Everyone says 'preparation is the key to success' ....mid-day of Day 1 I'm seeing that this is really true. 

Thank you Foodfamilywine!

Just made another run to Whole Foods...I’ve got a bunch of veges roasting in the oven, as well as my attempt at a chicken marabella recipe I saw in the recipe section...I’m a bit anxious today over all this, for some reason. I really want to achieve the full 30 days, without a mess up, so shopping definitely wasn’t a mindless activity. As every newbie realizes, Sugar is in nearly every thing. 

I did make a fabulous sauce if anyone is interested. It’s my take on peanut sauce, and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out:

In my mini processor I put a big huge spoonful of almond butter, then mixed in lime zest, lime juice, coconut aminos, green onion, and jalepeno pepper. I added some coconut milk to thin it down a bit, and some more lime juice because frankly, it was pretty darn spicy thanks to my not paying attention to seeding the jalapeño. It has a ton of flavor, so if you’re looking for a dip/sauce to add to your life, give this one a try!

Day 1 end of day....well the energy and enthusiasm I possessed early this morning is in my rear view mirror. I have a headache and fatigue, so I’m calling it a day, putting on my jammies, and rewatching series 1 of Broad Church. 

Good news: Stayed on track, had no hunger, cravings, and I made it thru the day with NO CAFFEINE. No coffee, no tea, just water. 

Looking forward to day 2.:)

Congrats on making it through day one--I'm on day one right now! If you drink coffee/tea regularly I think the headache and fatigue are likely from caffeine withdrawal moreso than from the diet. It takes about a week to get through caffeine withdrawal--that's why I'm still drinking coffee each day (though kicking out the cream and sugar!). I know the diet can cause fatigue and other symptoms at first as well, but likely not on day one.

Day 2: WOW! After my early evening energy plunge, I got my b*tt out of bed, took some ‘before’ pictures (shocking, frankly), then made myself homemade ice tea, which I’ve never made before. Definitely better than Starbucks. That was the ticket because my energy bounced right back and I stayed awake until 11pm, watching a crazy obstacle course competition called Ultimate Beast master, and a movie about a guy who climbed Everest to show his girlfriend he’s a stand-up guy. Very uplifting and motivating, and definitely not as downerish as another round watching Broad Church, which I loved, but now I know who killed Danny so it’s not as riveting.

Heres my first crazy NSVs to report:

:)I slept so soundly I actually had a dream! And it was in color! And it was about my daughter and I finding baby eagles in a nest (WTH?!). Can’t even remember the last time I slept soundly enough to dream, let alone in color, and about something so uplifting as baby eagles. 

:)I woke up to less joint pain, and abdominal pain...I’ve had this chronic fussy pain on my lower right side for nearly a year, it flares up off and on, but today it feels much better. Yea. 

Breakfast today:

Monkey Salad Breakfast (YUM!): Banana, blueberries, Almond Butter, 3 cashews (maybe 4)

Homemade ice tea, 

Reflecting a bit: it would be nice to not sit on the sidelines: to feel well, to have energy to do more than get thru the day, to feel younger than my age not older (54, btw). I’m tired  all day, don’t feel well most days, feel reactive, agitated, annoyed, and cynical 90% of my day. It’d be nice to feel the opposite of all those things. I have a hunch I’ll need more than 30 days to turn things around, but after my dream about finding baby eagles in a nest, I’m pretty sure I’m headed in the right direction. 

I poked around Pinterest looking at Whole30 before/after pics. Talk about inspiring and motivating. Day 2 is a long way from Day 31, but I’m super excited about what happens in between. 

Hoping you all have a fabulously healthy Whole30 day!

47 minutes ago, ceerock said:

Congrats on making it through day one--I'm on day one right now! If you drink coffee/tea regularly I think the headache and fatigue are likely from caffeine withdrawal moreso than from the diet. It takes about a week to get through caffeine withdrawal--that's why I'm still drinking coffee each day (though kicking out the cream and sugar!). I know the diet can cause fatigue and other symptoms at first as well, but likely not on day one.

Thanks ceerock! Great job getting started before the New Year! Good luck today, and thanks for the tips about the caffeine and fatigue. I was the king d get off caffeine completely but after last night, I decided no need kill myself on day 1,  I’m now trying to avoid coffee entirely, mainly because it was becoming a really bad habit. I only order black coffee, but started adding in cream and sugar because of not feeling well (abdominal pain)—

is this your first Whole30?

yes this is my first! I'm looking to feel better as well. i have a lot of aches and also am type 2 diabetic, so am looking for better sugar control rather than having to move to insulin. right now i'm only on oral meds but they're starting to not work so well so i need to control it better with diet. also hoping there will be some effect on my endless sinus problems--it's like i've had a low-level sinus infection for years. i too will likely need more than 30 days but we'll see how it goes! I'm on the day one high right now and had eggs for breakfast and just now the asian beef zoodle soup from the whole30 cookbook--very good. planning the sweet potato chili for tonight. 

your dream about the baby eagles sounds nice--i hope it is indeed a positive omen! 

Oh wow. You have lots of aches and pains, too? Sorry to hear that, and about the type 2 diabetes. I definitely feel as if I'm headed in that direction if I don't switch directions and do something very proactive (as in this Whole 30)-- I have it in the back of my head that I'll continue on until my birthday, which is the end of March. We'll see...like you, I'm on somewhat of a high getting started. 30 days is a long ways off, so better just stick to the task at hand, Day 2.

Let me know how it goes today. There's a few of us just getting started so I'm excited to see how everyone's doing. 

Ohh! Thank you Cavemom! :wub:What a happy surprise to see your post this morning!  Any plans for New Years Eve? I’m guessing after yesterday’s big move in day, you’ll be unpacking a few boxes today. One thing I do hope is that you’ll post another picture!

Day3: 

Day 2 was basically AWESOME! I had so much energy late in the afternoon, it felt like I was on some sort of puppy-upper! Wow. Truly a bizarre feeling to clean my house, and not be exhausted afterward, so I’ll take that as a huge win for the day. The second win was having leftovers in the fridge for dinner, so I didn’t have to cook, just reheat and serve. Perfect. And the last win: I think I just might’ve enticed my daughter (17) to come along with us for the next 30 days! I’m super excited about this, so fingers crossed everyone. I made her a Monkey Salad last night, and after a weekend at her Grandmothers eating cinnamon rolls all day long (they are reeaaaally good), she stated “ I think I want to do this with you. I don’t feel so great and this ( Monkey Salad) tastes really healthy”.

Only thing is, I now need to do you know what? Yep. That’s right. Go back to the store! Yea! 

Happy Last Day of 2017! 

Day 3 mid-day: Another stellar day. And another trip to the grocery store(s)...One thing I love about my Whole30 meals is that they're truly satisfying and seem to take me through the day without feeling my usual super-crabby-ready-to-bite-your-head-off kind of hunger...In fact, I actually feel somewhat cheery, which just like the energy to clean my house is a rather unfamiliar feeling. 

I discovered a great way to cheat. I decided I'm going to spend more money to buy the pre chopped veggies. At least for this first week, anyway. I realized, for me right now, nothing says failure like staring at fridge full of veggies I need to chop, so I took the plunge. It wasn't pretty on my wallet, that's for sure. As I type this out, I can smell all those veggies roasting in the oven, and they sure do smell good, so all-in-all it's worth it. Plus, I'm not spending $8 a day at Starbucks so I think it'll come out even one day.

I've come to the realization that Whole30 is about planning, prepping, preparing for the days ahead, while also keeping focused on the task at hand, which is basically getting through the day without a slip-up. Mindless eating doesn't really exist right now, which is good. It's all purposeful, and that feels better than throwing a wad of chips in my mouth.

Happy New Year. Hear's to a very Happy, Healthy 2018:)

I made some similar decisions about pre-chopped veggies--my soup called for zucchini noodles and I don't have a spiralizer, so I made the decision for now to buy the pre-spiralized zoodles (very expensive) rather then buy a spiralizer and figure out how to use it and then take the time to spiralize a bunch of vegetables...eventually I may get the spiralizer but for now this was the compromise I made that suited my situation. Indeed, I likely would have spent that $6 on some fast food or something else before I started Whole30, so in the end it's all good. On a night when you have no time and are exhausted, a fridge full of pre-cut veggies could mean the difference between staying on the plan and slipping into something easy and unhealthy.

Day 4:

Happy New Year! What a great year, 8 hours 39 minutes in to it. In honor of Mariah Carey, I just made a cup of hot tea and thanked the universe that we don’t  have to spend the next week hearing about an earpiece malfunction. Well done Mariah!

ceerock! You’ve made me feel much better about all those pre cut veggies in my fridge. I thought I was nuts there for a minute, but after hearing you did the same thing with those zucchini noodles, I realize I’m not the only person here swapping dollars around to make life a bit easier. Peeling, cutting, and spirilizing would be enough to do me in at this point. I do believe that by day 10 we will feel much more energetic and maybe willing to do all that, but for the time being I love the fact that it’s one less step towards a successful day.

I have two foods that I’m literally freaking out about right now. Tomatoes and Kale. I can’t bear to say this, but I’m concerned they’re creating some serious joint aches. I’m really hoping it’s the Kale. Could easily do with out Kale, but tomatoes are a whole other story. 

Other than that, Day 3 was another win of a day, all compliant foods, and feeling no hunger or cravings. Yet.

Wishing you (and myself) a very Healthy, Happy, And Prosperous New Year. I hope we all greet our challenges and successes with open arms, and heartfelt gratitude, for being fortunate enough to have “eating well for 30 days” a challenge, not an unattainable, unreachable dream.

ha wouldn't we all love to be allergic to kale! i hope tomatoes aren't causing your pain, they are an essential part of life! they are in so many things. good things! i haven't heard of them causing pain but i know they are nightshades which cause some problems for some people.

I'm glad day 4 went well and i too hope we all have a healthy happy and prosperous new year, with whole30 starting us off on the right foot.

Day 5: Yea! 

I definitely think my joint pain is diet related, Cavemom. I think it’s Kale, Broccoli, Onions. And Tomatoes. Not good news because those are my favs. Plus, remember all those pre-chopped veggies for which  I paid a kings ransom? Yep. All of the above. Time to discover some new options for veggies.

Your pictures look fantastic, BTW! Sweet potato toast? Wow. I would never thought of that in a million years. I feel like a puppy following you along, Cavemom. You and all your fabulous recipes and pictures. 

Happy Day to you all, whichever “day” you’re on!:)

14 hours ago, MimiHi said:

Day 4: 

All compliant but boy am I suffering with severe joint aches. SEVERE, I tell you!

Anyway, made it through the day but it wasnt fun. 

Looking forward to day 5! Happy New Year!

Sorry to hear about the aches. I didn't know those foods could cause pain, that's sad. Onions and tomatoes especially--they are in everything good! Roasted broccoli is my favorite veg dish. 

Let us know how the mayo goes--I haven't tried to make it yet either!

also wanted to add--have you tried turmeric supplements? I started taking it after I threw my back out and it literally took away all my pain. It's supposed to be great for joint pain/arthritis, too, as an overall anti-inflammatory.

Thanks for the tips you guys! It reallllllyyyyy sucks that tomatoes and onions might be on my no-go list. These two are my absolute favorite roasted veggie combo, and were (I thought) going to be my saving grace for the 30 days. I haven't tried turmeric, but will go buy some today. I feel better today but I'm not joking when I tell you that last night I was in a lot of discomfort. I literally thought I broke my wrist, it hurt so badly. Anyway, today things are feeling better, and I've gone to the store (:rolleyes:) to buy different veggies (pre-cut of course!).

So how are you all doing?? ceerock, you're on day 4 right? And Jager07-day 2?? Sorry but when I see your name, i think of Jagermeister...not that I drank that in college or anything...probably because I studied Germanic Languages. 

Jager07-which olive oil do you use to make your fabulous mayonnaise? I read elsewhere that the oil is a HUGE part of the success, so I'm wondering about that, and to make it in a glass bowl not metal. I'm going to get super fancy on you guys...I'm using Julia Child's recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking! All compliant, and very French'ish.

I started to think too far ahead, which is trouble, I know. I wish I were at day 25 not day 5. I used to run marathons back in the day, and this way of thinking was a sure-fire direct route to 21 miles of pain and agony. I think Cavemom said it well in yesterday's post: keeping busy is the way to go. 

My eggs are making their way to room temperature, and my olive oil to 'tepid' temperature (whatever that means)...will update later on that success.

Happy Day to you!

I love all of your posts. Great job so far!  I prefer to use avocado oil (costco has it pretty cheap). The flavor of olive oil can be very strong. I have heard light olive oil is good, but since I love avocado oil so much and always have it on hand, I haven't tried the light olive oil.  Today is my Day2.  Day 1 went great for me. My husband tried convincing me to start this round today. I'm pretty sure he wanted a glass of bubbly. LOL!  I said no way, I'm starting today. You can do what you like.  He ended up getting on board.

Today I'm making a crock pot chicken enchilada soup.  I did chop my veggies last night, but I do buy pre-chopped at times when I just don't have the capacity to do all of the things!  Here's the recipe if you are interested in giving it a try.

https://foodfamilywine.com/2017/11/06/chicken-enchilada-soup/

I just started adding my recipes to my site a few months ago and most are Whole30.  Not a ton on there yet, but I'll be adding more this month since I'm doing Whole30 cooking classes every Thursday this month at my local Whole Foods.

I hope your joint pain is going away. I would definitely suggest tumeric supplements. I take 1 a day.  

Archived