MimiHI Whole30 Hi!

MimiHi

Day 19:

Holding steady. Going to the doctor tomorrow morning to see what's going on with the pain in my side (neck)...good day today overall if I weren't thinking about it every friggin' second of the day.

FYI: If I have to drink a non-compliant syrup for imaging purposes at the hospital tomorrow, I'm doing it. At this point, I have no appetite, so I'm hardly following the rules anyway! I'm just telling you guys cuz I don't want to get kicked off the forum. I'd miss you too much, and really want to see us all make it to day 30, whether we mess-up or not.

Hope you've all had a fabulous day!  

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about you last night and started to wonder if despite how easily and sincerely you encourage others, you might actually be hard on yourself.  I may be way off.  It’s difficult to really, really know someone from a forum.  

I see a person that has forged ahead on a journey during severe physical discomfort and uncertainty about the cause.  You have stayed connected, stayed on plan, learned about foods that seem to be troublesome, lifted others spirits, and been a much needed dose of humor during a time of deprivation.  In my book, that’s pretty awesome!  I would not have had that kind of fortitude while feeling badly.

Your ability to encourage people has literally changed my outlook on life.  When I interact with others now, I ask myself, how would MiMiHi lift this person up?  Can I do that too?  I mean it.  You shifted a gear in the way I think.  And I’m stubborn as a mule.

I do hope the Doctors appointment goes well and reveals what’s going on.  Hoping it’s an easy fix!  Will be thinking about you.

communion wafers get a pass so i'm quite sure a medical procedure will as well

...and do they really kick people off the forum for going off-plan? if so that would do it for me, i'd be done with whole30.

I'm so glad you're going to the doctor.  I absolutely concur with what CaveMom said.  You are amazing and it is an absolute delight to know you.

Hope everything at the doctor goes well and we're anxious to hear.

Lots of hugs!

I hope everything at the doctor goes well and they're able to find some answers for you. And, for real, medicine doesn't count. Your health is what's important here and take anything the doctor needs you to for tests or whatever.

Thank you for the warm thoughts everyone! And Cavemom, for your extra kind words. Truly, I'm very grateful, and so happy to hear that any encouragement on my part as had such a wonderful impact on your life.:) 

I'm not very hard on myself, but I am frustrated that I'm not feeling better, so maybe that's what you sense. This sure has not turned out how I anticipated things would go when we started 21 days ago.

Not to bore you guys with the details, but I spent yesterday and today at various doctor's offices, and have some more tests next week, but the frontrunner as to what's going on is I have SIBO, which is some sort of intestinal bacteria overgrowth. My doctor doesn't want me to do this Whole30 anymore, merely because I can't eat 99% of the foods on the list for a few weeks, but I'll still check in each day because I want to know how you all are doing because technically my foods are on the list. Here's what I get for the next week:

carrots-cooked  then pureed like baby food.

Chicken or turkey-broiled or baked

Homemade apple juice or grape juice.

Thats it for the next week, except of the prep day of the test when the only item on the menu is chicken or turkey! Doesn't that sound like a super fun day?

I was reminiscing about the good old days when we all got started, and thought the Whole30 food list was limiting.  It just goes to show things truly can always be worse.  Anyway, as much as this sucks, and it does suck, I'm really glad it's all coming to a head. Hopefully, I'll be able to start feeling better.

Hope you are doing well and having a great day!

Oh boy...lots of typos up above...sorry...should've edited before I pressed "submit"... 

Anyway, I'm not really following the template any longer, but I do want to know how everyone's doing so I figure it's fine to still post on here until we reach our 30 days. AND while I'm not following the template, my allowed foods are all compliant.

Thank you for letting us know what's happening.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this and glad you've found doctors who will get to the bottom of what's going on as quickly as possible. You are still a big part of this journey for so many of us and we enjoy your company.  What else besides the super-dee-duper limited foods do you need to do?...medication,..?

Please keep us posted and we'll keep sending hugs and happy thoughts!

Yep. There’s some medication involved. I have to do the SIBO test first, which I’ll do on Monday morning, and then I’ll go on the medication, which I believe is some sort of herbal antibiotic. I’m hoping I start to feel better next week. I think it takes a loooonnnngggg time to fix things, but keeping fingers crossed the pain diminishes. 

Funny thing was when my doctor said, “I want you off all things paleo” I instantly thought, “Yes! Perfect!” I was all ready to go eat whatever I wanted. Then I got home and discovered that the only foods that sounded good were all Whole30 compliant. 

21 days in and I really don’t crave junk food anymore. I’ve been converted. No matter how much I fought it, I’ve officially crossed over to the other side.

I’m so glad you’ve discovered what’s been going on, and I’m sorry you have  gone through so much.  It’s been uncomfortable and confusing for you, I know. 

You are seriously one tough cookie!  

Im so happy you are staying connected!

Day 23...nothing new to add just checking to see how you are holding up. I’m doing SIBO test prep tomorrow, test on Monday morning. Will check back after that.

:) MimiHI 

Ps. What do you call the guy who graduated last in med school???...Doctor.

Think about that the next time you get a diagnosis that doesn’t quite sync up with your symptoms!

Hi All!

Well that was interesting...yesterday consisted of eating nothing but ground turkey sautéed in olive oil with a little bit of salt and pepper. It wasn't half bad actually, but I was glad I had nothing to do but watch tv all day.

There are lots of criteria to do the SIBO test, as far as time goes: when to start/stop eating, fasting, blowing into the tubes, etc. I woke up at 4:45am, just so I could get started by 6am. It was easy. The test does require drinking 10 ounces of some sort of glucose mixture, so I'm really off the Whole30 program now. I finished the test at 9am, and immediately made of cup of coffee, had a Le Croix, and a bite of this fabulous chocolate cake. It was fabulously sinful. One (or two) bites did the trick, then I got grossed out by the texture of it. I go back to the doctor Wednesday to turn in my test kit, and then apparently get started on what sounds like the most boring, restrictively strict/unfun diet I've ever heard of. Basically it's Whole30 without any of the fruit/veges/nuts that kept me sane the first 18 days. I have not stuck to the pureed carrots, chicken only...just can't go that deep until I absolutely have to.

I know in the world of Whole30 do-gooders, I didn't make it the whole way, but I feel that this has been a success, and I liken my experience of getting an injury at mile 20 and walking the rest of the way to the finish line. Not the best way to finish, but at least I was out there trying. I have learned an awful lot about food these past 20'ish days, and so I'm very grateful for that. Had I not had @Cavemom to inspire me, I never would've started, and I do believe my love of all things almond, date, and olive related pushed this SIBO business to the point where I had to get these tests done. I've had some real positive changes that aren't showing up on the scale (yes, saw my weight at the doctor's office by accident), so I feel things are slowly improving physically, even though I don't feel well.  I do plan to continue on after I see my doctor on Wednesday. I just need to get a real strong idea of what he says I should be eating. There are some conflicting foods that aren't on Whole30 but are on the SIBO diet so I want to get a better feel for what I need to focus on, food wise. I do know that 90% of the foods I was eating these past few weeks, are foods I'm absolutely NOT supposed to eat, which definitely explains why I was feeling so lousy the whole (no pun intended!) time!

I feel so lucky to be a part of our little group. You guys are all doing great, and I can't wait to see you finish. I guess I'll be starting over on Thursday, which sort of sucks, but hopefully by the end of February I'll be feeling super great the way you all are now! 

Hope you're having an awesome day!

You have indeed succeeded! 

You've become so much more aware of your body, have found a doctor who can help and you are now on a path to feeling so much better.  AND on top of that, you did a kicka$$ W30, inspired us, and kept your sense of humor....all while feeling majorly awful.  I call that a win.  :)

Don't listen to them - you are a success! Look what you've done in the time you spent committed to this program. PLUS, you are staying active here and being all our cheerleader toward success as well. You're taking care of YOU, taking care of your health, and doing what you need to do to stay on top of that - that's not failing at all, my friend 

Although we all secretly want some of that cake... just saying ;) 

If struggling through a medical condition while overhauling the way you eat isn’t success, I don’t know what is!  Especially when foods in that plan exacerbate the issue.  I wouldn’t have lasted an hour.

You have inspired me as well!  I have learned so much from you.  I’ve learned how important it is to encourage others.  I’ve learned the importance of running the race, even if you have to crawl to the finish line!  And, I’ve learned that it’s important to listen to your body.  Foods affect us, and we should pay attention!  You are case in point for that one!

I do hope you are feeling 100% soon.  You are in my thoughts throughout the day.

Archived